Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Semantically sure-depends how finely you want to split the hairs. :eek: Suggesting you could have lost is the same as suggesting the other team could have won. This is much to do about nothing and some UCONN fans conjuring up a diss where clearly Mechelle told them none was intended.
Looking at both videos, imo it’s a little more than a semantic difference. Voepel strongly presses her point that SC should have won citing the missed shots at the end of the game, the lack of transition baskets by the Gamecocks throughout the game and the fact that they let one player beat them. She says she is “not taking anything away from UConn,” but she doesn’t really credit the Huskies with having actually done some things to actually win the game.

Geno, on the other hand, makes the obvious point that UConn could have lost at the end of regulation, but that remark is sandwiched between a discussion of how the Huskies seemingly had control leading to the end of the game and then reestablished control in OT. Geno’s assessment is a more honest and realistic one that acknowledges that both teams had their opportunities.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Looking at both videos, imo it’s a little more than a semantic difference. Voepel strongly presses her point that SC should have won citing the missed shots at the end of the game, the lack of transition baskets by the Gamecocks throughout the game and the fact that they let one player beat them. She says she is “not taking anything away from UConn,” but she doesn’t really credit the Huskies with having actually done some things to actually win the game.

Geno, on the other hand, makes the obvious point that UConn could have lost at the end of regulation, but that remark is sandwiched between a discussion of how the Huskies seemingly had control leading to the end of the game and then reestablished control in OT. Geno’s assessment is a more honest and realistic one that acknowledges that both teams had their opportunities.
I was premature on my prediction of the outrage. Se my updated post. So predictable....
I guess at the beginning when Mechelle said Paige was ready for the bigs moments and at the end when she said "Nothing against UCONN they are great program" was not enough credit?

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Could easily argue that with good shooting UConn wins by double-digits. Team, minus Paige shoots 15-47, 2-15 including Paige from 3, and 3-8 from the FT line. We kept getting leads at the end and losing them. Moving screens? Team chemistry is a work in progress. Much better stuff on the horizon. SC "is what we thought they were", to quote Dennis Green. We know we can play with them, even shooting bad. IMO if I was SC, I would want nothing more to do with UConn. Let somebody else deal with UConn.
Impressed, quoting D.G from 35 years ago, I remembering when he went off on that tirade...... Previous posts writing about Paige single handedly winning the game in OT is atrocious. Was she the only one playing D, did she pass the ball to herself, did set her own screens? Was she shooting lights out, I think so and when I played it was our job to get the ball to the hot hand. I give little credit to the wind bag from ESPN, other than she is entitled to her own opinion no matter how screwed up it is.
We should remember we have a very young team loaded with freshmen who are expected to play like they aren't freshmen. We have 2 upper classmen, juniors who can be good but are not night in and out. Throw in EW and Aubrey who are better than average players added all together and what we have is a team that is a work in progress. A team we have high expectations of, a team that has delivered more than reason should have expected. My question, are we a team of disappointing winners? That's what I read post after post, it's starting to hurt my head. Yes the team needs to improve, and it will. Md sorry for hijacking you post, when I read the D.G. quote uttered after the 85 Bears, one of the all time great teams, came back to clean his teams clock I was inspired. HUSKY'S forever!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

? ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Impressed, quoting D.G from 35 years ago, I remembering when he went off on that tirade...... Previous posts writing about Paige single handedly winning the game in OT is atrocious. Was she the only one playing D, did she pass the ball to herself, did set her own screens? Was she shooting lights out, I think so and when I played it was our job to get the ball to the hot hand. I give little credit to the wind bag from ESPN, other than she is entitled to her own opinion no matter how screwed up it is.
We should remember we have a very young team loaded with freshmen who are expected to play like they aren't freshmen. We have 2 upper classmen, juniors who can be good but are not night in and out. Throw in EW and Aubrey who are better than average players added all together and what we have is a team that is a work in progress. A team we have high expectations of, a team that has delivered more than reason should have expected. My question, are we a team of disappointing winners? That's what I read post after post, it's starting to hurt my head. Yes the team needs to improve, and it will. Md sorry for hijacking you post, when I read the D.G. quote uttered after the 85 Bears, one of the all time great teams, came back to clean his teams clock I was inspired. HUSKY'S forever!
There were no previously intelligent post indicating Paige "Single handedly" won the game as such would have been atrocious to use your word. That windbag from ESPN "factually" stated that Paige scored all the teams points in OT. Amazing that we continue to hear what we want to hear and make up the rest to fuel our outrage. Why are some so easily butt hurt? Mechelle is now a windbag- Really?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was premature on my prediction of the outrage. Se my updated post. So predictable....
I guess at the beginning when Mechelle said Paige was ready for the bigs moments and at the end when she said "Nothing against UCONN they are great program" was not enough credit?
We are both cherry-picking remarks that support our positions. I’ll leave it at that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We are both cherry-picking remarks that support our positions. I’ll leave it at that.
Unfortunate that you are resorting to that. Please don't speak for me.

Reaction Score
Use my post anytime. Makes me feel important.
Read my post in the game thread. We've got to hit some shots. It's got to be watchable. (besides Paige)
Agree about our crazy expectations. I'll try to calm down a tad.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunate that you are resorting to that. Please don't speak for me.
My point is simply that while you quote Voepel’s qualifying comments said at the beginning and end of her remarks to support your position, you pass over the crux of Voepel’s argument in the middle, that SC should have won the game. She in no way acknowledges that either team could have won, something that is clearly acknowledged by Geno.

The problem I have with Voepel is the same problem I have with some here on the BY that believe beating Georgetown by a mere 24 points is somehow a failure on UConn’s part. Such arguments fail to give due credit and respect to Georgetown for competing hard and not rolling over when facing UConn.

The same “we should have won” argument was also suggested after the Ark loss. IMO, Ark outplayed UConn and deserved to win. It wasn’t handed to them, and SC did not hand UConn the game on Wednesday night, which was Voepel’s contention.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Voepel is full of s#%*. Using her analogy, UConn should have won the two buzzer beaters they lost to Mississippi State and Notre Dame. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My point is simply that while you quote Voepel’s qualifying comments said at the beginning and end of her remarks to support your position, you pass over the crux of Voepel’s argument in the middle, that SC should have won the game. She in no way acknowledges that either team could have won, something that is clearly acknowledged by Geno.

The problem I have with Voepel is the same problem I have with some here on the BY that believe beating Georgetown by a mere 24 points is somehow a failure on UConn’s part. Such arguments fail to give due credit and respect to Georgetown for competing hard and not rolling over when facing UConn.

The same “we should have won” argument was also suggested after the Ark loss. IMO, Ark outplayed UConn and deserved to win. It wasn’t handed to them, and SC did not hand UConn the game on Wednesday night, which was Voepel’s contention.
Good luck with your issue with "some" on the BY. Vopel could not have been more gracious to UCONN in that entire interview. My issue with you and "some" other on the BY is that you refuse to hear and acknowledge that. Mechelle is a respected journalist not a fan boy of the UCONN program like you and I.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Voepel is full of s#%*. Using her analogy, UConn should have won the two buzzer beaters they lost to Mississippi State and Notre Dame. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Et tu, Brute?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good luck with your issue with "some" on the BY. Vopel could not have been more gracious to UCONN in that entire interview. My issue with you and "some" other on the BY is that you refuse to hear and acknowledge that. Mechelle is a respected journalist not a fan boy of the UCONN program like you and I.
A journalist more than anyone needs to consider their words carefully. The video was not a gut reaction immediately after the game. Voepel had a full day to consider her remarks before the discussion. IMO, she eschewed accuracy in favor of a good story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really, much ado about nothing. Talking heads need to talk about something, anything, and it is 98% silly babble IMO. I am aging myself but such talk was much more interesting when it was confined to the corner bar. And for the record, the bar talk was 98% silly babble also but the cold ones made it so much more fun.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really, much ado about nothing. Talking heads need to talk about something, anything, and it is 98% silly babble IMO. I am aging myself but such talk was much more interesting when it was confined to the corner bar. And for the record, the bar talk was 98% silly babble also but the cold ones made it so much more fun.
Unfortunately, for many of us the corner bar is closed due to Covid, so we’re drinking at home these days......?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A journalist more than anyone needs to consider their words carefully. The video was not of her gut reaction immediately after the game. Voepel had a full day to consider her remarks before the discussion. IMO, she eschewed accuracy in favor of a good story.
A good story? Mechelle was not writing a story she was being interviewed for a pod cast which I'm sure many here had not heard of or cared about prior to @SVCBeercats thread. What do you think Mechelle said that was not accurate? BTW Alexa Philippou was also on that pod cast with Mechelle and expressed similar sentiments, maybe we should should start a thread to bash Alexa also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A good story? Mechelle was not writing a story she was being interviewed for a pod cast which I'm sure many here had not heard of or cared about prior to @SVCBeercats thread. What do you think Mechelle said that was not accurate? BTW Alexa Philippou was also on that pod cast with Mechelle and expressed similar sentiments, maybe we should should start a thread to bash Alexa also.
I suspect you are aware that stories can be delivered both in writing or orally, as with bedtime stories.

As for Alexa, did you even watch the podcast? She expresses no such sentiments. Alexa’s comments were confined solely to Christyn’s struggles and Geno’s comparison of Paige as a freshman to DT’s junior year at UConn.

Reaction Score
SC had the last possession and would have won if the ball had gone in the basket.

In games where both teams are talented and hardworking, the team that should win is the one that makes clutch shots and the team that should lose is the one that does not.

Should also includes the saviest, most clutch player. Paige beat Boston on both counts. Boston shot off a stupid (perhaps ill-advised would be kinder) three attempt and couldn't put in a lay-up to win or do much in the overtime. Paige, as we are learning, was Paige.

Reaction Score
For every, 'Yes' their is a 'No', for every 'Coulda' is a Shoulda'. One game does not make a 'Season'. Christyn, keep shooting and it will come back ! We are all behind you with full confidence, you will get it back. We all love you !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC had the last possession and would have won if the ball had gone in the basket.

In games where both teams are talented and hardworking, the team that should win is the one that makes clutch shots and the team that should lose is the one that does not.

Should also includes the saviest, most clutch player. Paige beat Boston on both counts. Boston shot off a stupid (perhaps ill-advised would be kinder) three attempt and couldn't put in a lay-up to win or do much in the overtime. Paige, as we are learning, was Paige.
I had forgotten about Boston’s 3-pt attempt. I was amazed at that point in the game that she pulled the trigger on that shot. Boston just ended up at the top of the key with the ball in her hands, and I guess she decided, “What the hell!”

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, for many of us the corner bar is closed due to Covid, so we’re drinking at home these days......?
I hear you, I debated using past tense but right now that’s what it is. Some bars in Jersey have opened but I have no desire to belly up with empty stools on either side of me. In truth I have no idea what the rules are in that regard but I’m 70 and taking no stupid chances. At home, the beer is still good, the company, well, the less said the better although my wife doesn’t know the difference between a basketball and a cheese ball so odds are pretty good she is not on here. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom