Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If SC had hit any of the gimmes in regulation, the narrative would've been different. But they did not, and that opened the door for us to do some impressive stuff, thanks to Paige. (shrugs) That's the way sporting contests are.
And this is exactly what Mechelle said. I don't know how her words could have been so twisted.

Reaction Score
It goes both ways. Henderson had the worst game of her career and SC went 1-9 from deep and 8-15 from the line. They also got next to nothing from Saxton and missed a LOT of easy looks. Both teams played like crap offensively and either could've won by 10+ had they shot better.
Of course it does. The thread is about Mechelle Voepel's sort of one-sided view of the discussion we're having. I presented the other side.

Reaction Score
I thought she said"UCONN shouldn't have won that game because they are a bad team and bad teams don't deserve to win and they were just lucky to win when Sc is so much better and it isn't fair that UCONN won that game SC was robbed by the officiating".

Reaction Score
If if’s and buts were candy and buts.......

or

if ifs and buts were coconuts

Honestly, I didn’t listen. Couldn’t give two s&$% what she has to say.

Reaction Score
Sign Language Emotion GIF by Sainsbury's

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mechelle said SC missed 4 lay ups at the end and one should have gone in and therefore SC should have won. The fallacy in that is in the telling. One did not go in. Playing that silly game would have one go back over the whole game to decide what misses should have gone in. I hope she hasn't given Dawn the idea for another banner.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UCONN won the game. Why is it that some of you'll seek additional affirmation from the outside? You get triggered by the slightest comment that you deem as negative.
So? Why does it bother you so much you feel the need to call us on it? Seems to be a “thing” with you,pointing out our perceived flaws

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UCONN won the game. Why is it that some of you'll seek additional affirmation from the outside? You get triggered by the slightest comment that you deem as negative.
In case you haven’t realized, this is a forum where UConn WBB fans come together and talk about our team and games and silly comments like the one made by Michelle Voepel. As such this forum is one hell of a lot like Cockytalk used to be, or Gamecock Central, or whatever forum SC WBB fans hang out in in order to vent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
SC should have won because they had a better team going into the game. But they blew it. They were lucky to be in the position to miss those bunnies, I'll be disappointed if Muhl makes that horrible pass again.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Mechele could have written a good column, but...

Her editor at ESPN could have sent it back for a rewrite or a re-think, but...
(she/he got fired in the latest ESPN cost-saving staff reduction)

So we get to discuss something not quite good enough to be called a winner.

Reaction Score
So? Why does it bother you so much you feel the need to call us on it? Seems to be a “thing” with you,pointing out our perceived flaws
I just asked the question because it just seems weird to me. I have a theory but I will keep it to myself. Because I like this board for the most part and don't want to ruffle any more feathers.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Because typically that comes with the territory of being a ?‍♂️ FANactic ?‍♀️
Whether it's true or not, who really likes to see someone from the "outside" speak negatively about anything we love in this world? ?

But I do agree that some of us here, react way too easily after being triggered...
Bottom line we won the game, ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️... For now, that should be all that matters..⛹️‍♀️??

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I just asked the question because it just seems weird to me. I have a theory but I will keep it to myself. Because I like this board for the most part and don't want to ruffle any more feathers.
And there we have it folks!! A "Gamecock" that doesn't want to ruffle feathers :)
I say, Cmon now I say, don't be a chicken, let them have it... he he
Just let me get my popcorn in the microwave first. ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shouldda Couldda
DIDN’T
we are are super athletic, poor shooting team. It’s what we are. As everybody knew coming into the season, we don’t have a Tye or Kiki in clutch time and nobody has filled that role.

Reaction Score
I want to know what Dawn was thinking during the game, with her gameplan. At halftime the adjustment was to have her two guards drive in and get UConn in foul trouble? That would work if they were built like Arike. They took shot after shot, and most of them were prayers. On some possessions no one other player touched the ball before they put a shot up. I wanted to see them win, but the gameplan was garbage.

If these two teams meet again, UConn will win by double digits. I called the gameplan garbage, but they still could have won. SC has no shooters, so a rematch would probably have a similar gameplan. There's no way Westbrook goes scoreless again, and I doubt Paige shoots poorly enough again to even be in that position at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
In the GT game, only two players were in double figures, not the greatest scoring balance. Seems we pass up a number of shots at times, nobody is willing to shoot and the clock runs down.
It's also noticeable to me that some of our players don't keep and eye on the ball and are surprised it came to them. Our fast break game is missing. Our traps worked well with a number of steals but then we would back off from trying to score to set-up a play. Why to we want the defense to get set before we attack????

Early in this game we had good passes inside that were not scored, just passed it back out. Why?

Reaction Score
Shouldda Couldda
DIDN’T
we are are super athletic, poor shooting team. It’s what we are. As everybody knew coming into the season, we don’t have a Tye or Kiki in clutch time and nobody has filled that role.

I agree with your assessment. But it seems that this is what Dawn recruits. I think South Carolina desperately needs a couple of shooters and a point guard. As a UConn fan, I hope you don’t get them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom