Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Michelle is correct. SC should have won. They had ample opportunities during the entire game. They had the big opportunty in the final seconds of regulation. They didn't get it done. UConn had the opportunity in the 4th to put the game out of reach. They didn't. So it was OT.

UConn won. That is the reality. The rest is all woulda, coulda, shoulda. End of story.

Reaction Score
Michelle is correct. SC should have won. They had ample opportunities during the entire game. They had the big opportunty in the final seconds of regulation. They didn't get it done. UConn had the opportunity in the 4th to put the game out of reach. They didn't. So it was OT.

UConn won. That is the reality. The rest is all woulda, coulda, shoulda. End of story.
...after all they were the "UNANIMOUS" overall #1 ranked team at time of game! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just about every shot Paige made, throughout the game, she was closely guarded. It's ESPN. Nothing more needs to be said.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all if you miss 4 shots from point blank range thats an indication that your not as good as you think in that kind of pressure situation. Second imo UConn hasnt been hitting on all cylinders all year and in the SC game they didnt either and they found a way to win and SC didnt they found a way to loose. Paige took over and SC does not have a player like Paige. Having a player that can take over a game is gold in big games especially in the NCAAs. UConn and LVille each have one. Third SC is not a good 3 pt shooting team and thye dont have good ball handlers or a point guard like they did last season and UCOnn does LVille and Stanford do. My top 3 in order are UConn Lville Stanford and SC.

UConn has not been firing on all cylinders all season and theyre winning most games by alot. Other top teams arent. We will see what happens in the NCAAs. There are alot of good teams. IMO guard play, and having a go to player will be huge going into the tournament.

Reaction Score
For those who are mathematically inclined, the Massey prediction for the game was that UConn would win by 4 points. They got the margin right but were low on the actual scores. Now you can argue about whether statistical models include the effects of the brand of the basketball, the days when some players are off and others are on fire, COVID,...

Reaction Score
First of all if you miss 4 shots from point blank range thats an indication that your not as good as you think in that kind of pressure situation. Second imo UConn hasnt been hitting on all cylinders all year and in the SC game they didnt either and they found a way to win and SC didnt they found a way to loose. Paige took over and SC does not have a player like Paige. Having a player that can take over a game is gold in big games especially in the NCAAs. UConn and LVille each have one. Third SC is not a good 3 pt shooting team and thye dont have good ball handlers or a point guard like they did last season and UCOnn does LVille and Stanford do. My top 3 in order are UConn Lville Stanford and SC.

UConn has not been firing on all cylinders all season and theyre winning most games by alot. Other top teams arent. We will see what happens in the NCAAs. There are alot of good teams. IMO guard play, and having a go to player will be huge going into the tournament.
I'll say this, if a UConn player(s) does that, she will catch the wrath of some Boneyard posters.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First 3 shots ;/ putbacks were contested but the last one from Boston showed she did not take seriously the physics lesson on ballistics / particle trajectories. . :rolleyes:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Anybody could have won the Uconn-SC game. Both teams played terribly on offense. I am not going to talk about the reason because at this point it doesn't matter. BUT, if Uconn doesn't get other people to contribute on a consistent basis, they are toast. Kelly Grimes said "all freshmen not named Paige Bueckers has hit the wall". We know that has happened in the past (Stewie freshman year before the tournament.) So, it still may happen to Paige at some point. Bottom line, we need more contribution starting now. Now, just about the ball. Maybe its true about the differences in the ball. My question is, what ball is used in the NCAA tournament? Why doesn't every team use that ball? I wonder if Uconn is forced to use that ball because Nike sponsors the team in clothing and other equipment. I know that on the PGA tour, all players have different sponsors as far as clubs, clothing etc. I am also pretty sure that they are allowed to use golf balls from any manufacturer. At any rate, its time to try out other options to get us out of this total team funk. ie: Mir and Saylor

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Voepel's opinion pieces (video or print) seem to fall into the standard ESPN template of creating controversy where there is none: who has the most to lose, what does it mean for team "X" moving forward, can they recover?

UConn made shots at the end. SC missed shots at the end. We won. They might use the loss as motivation. End of story.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Anybody could have won the Uconn-SC game. Both teams played terribly on offense. I am not going to talk about the reason because at this point it doesn't matter. BUT, if Uconn doesn't get other people to contribute on a consistent basis, they are toast. Kelly Grimes said "all freshmen not named Paige Bueckers has hit the wall". We know that has happened in the past (Stewie freshman year before the tournament.) So, it still may happen to Paige at some point. Bottom line, we need more contribution starting now. Now, just about the ball. Maybe its true about the differences in the ball. My question is, what ball is used in the NCAA tournament? Why doesn't every team use that ball? I wonder if Uconn is forced to use that ball because Nike sponsors the team in clothing and other equipment. I know that on the PGA tour, all players have different sponsors as far as clubs, clothing etc. I am also pretty sure that they are allowed to use golf balls from any manufacturer. At any rate, its time to try out other options to get us out of this total team funk. ie: Mir and Saylor

You statement can also apply to South Carolina, Louisville, and others.

The ball has nothing to do with anything.

Geno had it correct in the post game interview. The team that wins it all will be the team that gets hot at the right time.

Reaction Score
80AEC770-32C5-4059-B954-9E3A87E46FA3.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just asked the question because it just seems weird to me. I have a theory but I will keep it to myself. Because I like this board for the most part and don't want to ruffle any more feathers.
Ruffle away, we can take it. But you probably know your theory is flawed and don't want to expose it to peer review.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment. But it seems that this is what Dawn recruits. I think South Carolina desperately needs a couple of shooters and a point guard. As a UConn fan, I hope you don’t get them. ;)
We are very happy with Raven Johnson coming in at point guard in 2021 along with SG Saniya Rivers (though she may be a true wing since she has dunk elevation as well range in her shooting). Both make their layups. :confused:

of course we want Fullwiley in 23 as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We are very happy with Raven Johnson coming in at point guard in 2021 along with SG Saniya Rivers (though she may be a true wing since she has dunk elevation as well range in her shooting). Both make their layups. :confused:

of course we want Fullwiley in 23 as well.
:eek: I thought we had settled this! Per the terms of the negotiated agreement SC was to stay away from both Fullwiley & Edwards , and was therefore free to pursue Watkins. You were also supposed to beak this news to Dawn. What happened?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That’s the way the game is played. You can’t say they should of won. Those is what if’s. Like what if UConn didn’t blow that 49-43 lead late in the 4th.
Geno said the exact same thing Mechelle did: "We just could have easily lost it at the end of regulation".

Reaction Score
Like Voepel and Creme, or not, they are a big part of women's basketball being what it is. No coverage, no hype then the product has to fend for itself. As to CW, I said this over a month ago. With Megan gone and Olivia not having that innate leadership and with Evina being new, I think a lot of the leadership was something CW took upon herself and then when Paige entered the scene and took over in so many games one tends to question their place, their role, especially for a 20 year old. We'll see if she can accept the reins being in someone else's hands. It needs to happen, else we don't go too deep in the tourney.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno is being gracious. Somewhere deep down he’s thinking, “#1 SC my a**.”
Geno is ALWAYS transparent, unvarnished, and says what he is feeling. He is often misinterpreted by people that don't believe the words that are actually coming out his mouth. People also need to understand when Geno is speaking hyperbole & here he was not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is ALWAYS transparent, unvarnished, and says what he is feeling. He is often misinterpreted by people that don't believe the words that are actually coming out his mouth. People also need to understand when Geno is speaking hyperbole & here he was not.
Don’t misunderstand me. Geno is usually gracious in victory or defeat, and yes he is honest and transparent. But I don’t think for a second that Geno believes his team should not have won the game vs SC. Suggesting that UConn could have lost is quite different from saying SC should have won.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don’t misunderstand me. Geno is usually gracious in victory or defeat, and yes he is honest and transparent. But I don’t think for a second that Geno believes his team should not have won the game vs SC. Suggesting that UConn could have lost is quite different from saying SC should have won.
Semantically sure-depends how finely you want to split the hairs. :eek: Suggesting you could have lost is the same as suggesting the other team could have won. This is much to do about nothing and some UCONN fans conjuring up a diss where clearly Mechelle told them none was intended. If anyone should feel diss by Mechelle it is the South Carolina fans because she sated they had 4 shots to win the game and "allowed" one player to bring UCONN back and score all the points in OT. I"m actually surprised some UCONN fans aren't jumping on her for that work "allow' also. Maybe someone will start a thread about that. Mechelle said SC "allowed" UCONN to beat them- OMG the outrage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104