Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for revising your post little Buddy. You can take the Ok Pal out also so as not to continue to involve the moderators.
Revise? I'm sorry but you'll have to show me.

Reaction Score
also wondering if CW does not know her place (role?) on the team.

Total Baloney. You could say the same for balls that Edwards and Mir threw in the "general vicinity" of the basket during the game. How are those bunny misses any different? It doesn't matter when they come. They are still two missed points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Total Baloney. You could say the same for balls that Edwards and Mir threw in the "general vicinity" of the basket during the game. How are those bunny misses any different? It doesn't matter when they come. They are still two missed points.
Speaking of Baloney, Mir didn't log any minutes in the SC game so that would have been....? Impossible? It does matter when they come SC 5th attempt was good but the clock had expired. Matters very much.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She is full of it !!
She does have deep dark chocolate brown eyes. If her eyes ever show as another color, well ... then she is down quart!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I was premature on my prediction of the outrage. Se my updated post. So predictable....
I guess at the beginning when Mechelle said Paige was ready for the bigs moments and at the end when she said "Nothing against UCONN they are great program" was not enough credit?
No! It is just like someone saying to you: "No insult intended, but you speak out of both sides of your mouth."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Voepel could have said "SC could have won at the end if they had hit their shots" but again, if we had hit more threes it wouldn't have been close. Saying SC should have won is basically saying they are a better team and that UConn got lucky. Dislike.
She is doing her job. Sowing the seeds of controversy. She and ESPN are pissed that UCONN's games are on FOX. The ad dollars go to FOX's coffers not ESPN's. So ESPN will continue to down play UCONN as a business ploy. She shifts the focus to the waning moments of the 4th qtr. She could have easily said UCONN played good defense or possibly more accurately South Carolina choked on 4 game winning shots; a better team would not have. Such as the way Buecks did in the Tennessee game and the S. Caro. game. She did what is good for ESPN and business.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is Mechelle and UCONN was playing at home so any "clock work orange" would not only have been unlikely but also self inflicted.
That is so true. Our folks at the scorer's table are masters of self-inflicted wounds.

Reaction Score
A handful of years back (too many to remember), I was involved with a 16 and under Babe Ruth Baseball Team. At the State Tournament, "They" (Tournament Director, etc) said our team wasn't good enough to win... we lost our 2nd game in a double elimination tournament, then steam rolled through the "losers bracket" to meet the team that beat us in the championship. We beat them twice by no less than 6 runs in each game to win the State and go on to Regionals. In our 2nd game at the Regional, we were up by 5 over another State Champ when the skies opened up with big time rain, and the game had to be stopped, to resume the next day. At breakfast in a local restaurant, my wife and I were seated near 2 coaches from the other team. We could hear them talking about how weak our team was, how we couldn't possibly win the game.... although we were up 5-0 at that point. When the game resumed, our guys were on fire...banging balls off the outfield fences and scoring almost at will...while giving up almost no runs. I believe we won by 10...
In this case...and in others where our "underdog" team won the game that "They" said we should not win, I had a very simple response... "Scoreboard"...
IIRC... UCONN had more points than SoCarolina.... so, Michelle... I say... "Scoreboard"...

There is a Reason Teams/Players actually PLAY THE GAME to determine the outcome.

BTW... that baseball team swept the Regional Tournament UNDEFEATED and went onto the National Championship Tournament where they ended up taking 2nd Place in the Country. Not bad for a Team that wasn't supposed to be good enough to win the State. ;) :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is doing her job. Sowing the seeds of controversy. She and ESPN are pissed that UCONN's games are on FOX. The ad dollars go to FOX's coffers not ESPN's. So ESPN will continue to down play UCONN as a business ploy. She shifts the focus to the waning moments of the 4th qtr. She could have easily said UCONN played good defense or possibly more accurately South Carolina choked on 4 game winning shots; a better team would not have. Such as the way Buecks did in the Tennessee game and the S. Caro. game. She did what is good for ESPN and business.
So Mechelle is mad the UCONN South Carolina game is on Fox and she becomes an advocate of South Carolina.
Conspiracy theory of the day week month right there!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A handful of years back (too many to remember), I was involved with a 16 and under Babe Ruth Baseball Team. At the State Tournament, "They" (Tournament Director, etc) said our team wasn't good enough to win... we lost our 2nd game in a double elimination tournament, then steam rolled through the "losers bracket" to meet the team that beat us in the championship. We beat them twice by no less than 6 runs in each game to win the State and go on to Regionals. In our 2nd game at the Regional, we were up by 5 over another State Champ when the skies opened up with big time rain, and the game had to be stopped, to resume the next day. At breakfast in a local restaurant, my wife and I were seated near 2 coaches from the other team. We could hear them talking about how weak our team was, how we couldn't possibly win the game.... although we were up 5-0 at that point. When the game resumed, our guys were on fire...banging balls off the outfield fences and scoring almost at will...while giving up almost no runs. I believe we won by 10...
In this case...and in others where our "underdog" team won the game that "They" said we should not win, I had a very simple response... "Scoreboard"...
IIRC... UCONN had more points than SoCarolina.... so, Michelle... I say... "Scoreboard"...

There is a Reason Teams/Players actually PLAY THE GAME to determine the outcome.

BTW... that baseball team swept the Regional Tournament UNDEFEATED and went onto the National Championship Tournament where they ended up taking 2nd Place in the Country. Not bad for a Team that wasn't supposed to be good enough to win the State. ;) :cool:
That a great story coach but hardly applicable to Mechelle comments on the SC game. Mechelle is and was well aware of the scoreboard when she made those comments. South Carolina was #1 going into the game and UCONN was number 2. While the tournament director comments to you were proven wrong by game game play clearly that director had another (not yours) team in mind that could win the tournament. So while that Directors comments to you were over the top I surmise that you were not the favorites to win the game. But once again Mechelle comments had nothing to do with who was favored going into the game. Her comments were specific to the 4 attempts SC had to win the game at the end of regulation. That would be the equivalent of your team having the winning run on third with zero out and hitting two sacrifice flys to deepest center field and your runner failed to tag up.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think you put a lot more thought into your post than Mechell put into the interview. While she can and does ask good questions I feel this was not one of her best. To me she came across more snarky than probative, and that is my opinion nothing more.

Reaction Score
So Mechelle is mad the UCONN South Carolina game is on Fox and she becomes an advocate of South Carolina.
Conspiracy theory of the day week month right there!

So you are of the opinion that it's wrong to think that TV networks act in a way to promote their own programming and that anyone who thinks that is .... wait for it ... a "Conspiracy Nut"? Of course ESPN acts in the interests of their programming and their employees do too or they don't remain employees. Voepel doesn't root for S Car. She roots for ESPN.

It's clear to most that Voepel was doing her job by pandering to one fan base and inciting another. It's journalistic business-building.

I also notice that the S Car fans don't accept Voepel's whine-by-proxy. They have the class to not come running to this thread to claim victory. But just watch how ESPN will shamelessly use it to hype next year's game.

It's Propaganda 101. "You were cheated of victory by XXX".

Reaction Score
That a great story coach but hardly applicable to Mechelle comments on the SC game. Mechelle is and was well aware of the scoreboard when she made those comments. South Carolina was #1 going into the game and UCONN was number 2. While the tournament director comments to you were proven wrong by game game play clearly that director had another (not yours) team in mind that could win the tournament. So while that Directors comments to you were over the top I surmise that you were not the favorites to win the game. But once again Mechelle comments had nothing to do with who was favored going into the game. Her comments were specific to the 4 attempts SC had to win the game at the end of regulation. That would be the equivalent of your team having the winning run on third with zero out and hitting two sacrifice flys to deepest center field and your runner failed to tag up.
OK... Thanks... I get your position... and you are right... SoCar had point blank shots that could have won the game at the end of regulation...SO... they should...or could... have won... but of course as we know, they didn't. Perhaps Michelle chose the wrong word... and she should have said "could have"...???
The point I was trying to make...using a past experience.. was Players have to make the plays... sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's why they PLAY the games. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you are of the opinion that it's wrong to think that TV networks act in a way to promote their own programming and that anyone who thinks that is .... wait for it ... a "Conspiracy Nut"? Of course ESPN acts in the interests of their programming and their employees do too or they don't remain employees. Voepel doesn't root for S Car. She roots for ESPN.

It's clear to most that Voepel was doing her job by pandering to one fan base and inciting another. It's journalistic business-building.

I also notice that the S Car fans don't accept Voepel's whine-by-proxy. They have the class to not come running to this thread to claim victory. But just watch how ESPN will shamelessly use it to hype next year's game.

It's Propaganda 101. "You were cheated of victory by XXX".
No. Your use of the "conspiracy nuts" is rather inflammatory. Please delete it. If I understand your contention correctly Mechelle jumped on something called a "Pure Hoops" pod cast to promote a game that was not broadcasted on ESPN and a rematch that is a full year away? Be honest with me had you ever heard of the Pure Hoops Podcast prior to this thread?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FYI, SC grinds out a 66-59 win at home today over 8-10 LSU, using a Wilson ball. I would be interested to hear Ms Voepel’s take on that game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you put a lot more thought into your post than Mechell put into the interview. While she can and does ask good questions I feel this was not one of her best. To me she came across more snarky than probative, and that is my opinion nothing more.
Bingo! I doubt if Mechelle put ANY forethought into her answer. It was a question, she answered it on the spot, and the BY has dissected the impromptu wording of her answer into some kind of grand conspiracy theory. C'monnnn....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bingo! I doubt if Mechelle put ANY forethought into her answer. It was a question, she answered it on the spot, and the BY has dissected the impromptu wording of her answer into some kind of grand conspiracy theory. C'monnnn....
So......Voepel had an entire day to think about the game before the podcast. She is a writer and likely pieced together some thoughts in her head beforehand. Her comments were neither brief nor impromptu as she listed a litany of reasons why SC should have won, not simply the missed bunnies at the end of regulation.

Just sayin.........

Reaction Score
Most media like Mechelle are trained to think on the spot and would not likely just say it nonchalantly. Please give her more credit than that. She is a well prepared and good at her craft. She knows what she’s doing. Now most of us posters here like myself do not are not trained to choose our words as wisely as Mechelle.

Reaction Score
In case you haven’t realized, this is a forum where UConn WBB fans come together and talk about our team and games and silly comments like the one made by Michelle Voepel. As such this forum is one hell of a lot like Cockytalk used to be, or Gamecock Central, or whatever forum SC WBB fans hang out in in order to vent.
You'd be surprised. A lot of the Gamecock fan site commentary on the loss would fit right in on a UCONN board.

It was pretty peculiar reaction to an overtime loss that could have gone either way.

Wasn't able to post it here, but Bueckers was outstanding. Not an amazing insight, but wanted to credit it even if late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom