Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far)

Reaction Score
This Board is so black and white. The truth was CV was a hot mess, made bad decisions, took terrible shots, drove recklessly and couldn’t finish. Now, he’s a PoY candidate by transforming in a short period of time like no other player I can remember. It’s nothing short of amazing. I can’t say enough about how special this is, and how wonderful it is for him. He found his true potential just in time.
I admit. cV drive me insane until prolly like Xmas time this year. Now , these last 5-6 weeks, he’s actually a really really good player. Guy shud get conference poy over precious. We finished ahead of Memphis in the standings to top it off- precious has been here for five months- CV for 4 years - come on you got to give it to the senior

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Funny you say that. I texted a friend during the game today that he reminds me of a young CV who thought a couple of made shots gave him a permanent green light. He's on the right path
Yup if B Adams makes his first shot and it's a bomb, it's not always necessarily a good thing for our team. Used to be the case with Vital but he has really matured even in the second part of this year. His relationship with Hurley has changed drastically and I believe DH was pushing him on decision making. Loved the way CV talked about DH in his senior speech. Their relationship has really improved.

Reaction Score
This Board is so black and white. The truth was CV was a hot mess, made bad decisions, took terrible shots, drove recklessly and couldn’t finish. Now, he’s a PoY candidate by transforming in a short period of time like no other player I can remember. It’s nothing short of amazing. I can’t say enough about how special this is, and how wonderful it is for him. He found his true potential just in time.

Vital had a bad first two years. His last two years have been outstanding.

Last year he had 14pts / 6 rebounds / 2 assists / 2 TO's / 2 steals per game on 45% shooting and 41% from 3

This year he has 16pts / 6 rebounds / 3 assists / 3 TO's / 3 steals per game on 40% shooting and 35% from 3

He's been an outstanding player the last two years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Last year he had 14pts / 6 rebounds / 2 assists / 2 TO's / 2 steals per game on 45% shooting and 41% from 3

This year he has 16pts / 6 rebounds / 3 assists / 3 TO's / 3 steals per game on 40% shooting and 35% from 3

4.2 and 4.3 bpm are not “bad” by any stretch.

that’s the version of vital that people keep saying he is now. Like 7th or 8th off the bench.

Reaction Score
4.2 and 4.3 bpm are not “bad” by any stretch.

that’s the version of vital that people keep saying he is now. Like 7th or 8th off the bench.
RIght, Bad was definitely the wrong word choice. They were decent to good years.

Reaction Score
To me he is the POY in the AAC but they won't give it to him since UConn is leaving. Precious will get it or maybe Cumberland.
I am biased, I also think CV is POY. There is some thing wrong with the reasoning, if he is not chosen for an individual award because the team is leaving the league and the altenative choice is a player who is a likely one and done.

Reaction Score
The Christian Vital we've seen the last 5 games is a reliable, clutch, mature, smart winner. There is not but, this is great to watch - love the feeling that he's going to do something - a steal, a drive to the basket, a big 3 - when we need it. This is why teams with seniors do well in March.

Reaction Score
Pre-Memphis win in Hartford...
Record: 4-7
14.0 / 5.2 / 2.7 with 2.3 steals
.345 / .276 / .918 splits

From Memphis game through ROS...
Record: 6-1
23.9 / 6.3 / 2.1 with 2.7 steals
.481 / .423 / .900 splits

The last seven games have been surreal. He's been, by far, the best player in the conference and those numbers over a full season probably land you on 2nd or 3rd team AA. The hilarity about KenPom's formula is that in this stretch (since this thread was started on Feb 9th) Vital has somehow moved down in his POY rankings. Just another example of why there isn't one be-all, end-all formula to reach conclusions when it comes to sports.

For those curious, these are Precious Achiuwa's numbers over the last seven games.

Record: 4-3
18.3 / 13.0 / 1.4 with 2.1 blks and 1.1 steals
.459 / .273 / .660 splits

To boot, we finished ahead of Memphis in the conference standings.

Reaction Score

He's been "outstanding" for the last month or so, really good. He hasn't been outstanding the full last 2 years but your loyalty is respected. He is as much a reason we lost so many close games in the middle of this year as AG we can't forget that. If they were both playing as well as they have been as of late we'd have 21-23 wins now. Nonetheless he's been really fun to watch and clutch. POY? I think the way he carried them to get to 10-8 certainly deserves a real hard look no doubt, would love to see him get that award, deservingly so!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's been "outstanding" for the last month or so, really good. He hasn't been outstanding the full last 2 years but your loyalty is respected. He is as much a reason we lost so many close games in the middle of this year as AG we can't forget that. If they were both playing as well as they have been as of late we'd have 21-23 wins now. Nonetheless he's been really fun to watch and clutch. POY? I think the way he carried them to get to 10-8 certainly deserves a real hard look no doubt, would love to see him get that war, deservingly so!

1. He's certainly been the best player in the conference the last month. Not even close. How you use improvement over the course versus average performance over the course is totally arbitrary.

2. It's very hard to judge Vital over the first two years, because he came here and due to injuries and defections was asked to do far, far more than he was ready to do or it was fair to ask him to do. He was not recruited here to be a combo guard playing close to all game every game from the start. Second, it's hard to judge him because he was spending much of his time playing the point, which also isn't who he is. Did he look like an all-time great coming out of his second year? No, of course not. But I can't blame him for that.

Reaction Score
Dyson played in a conference that had seven of the top 19 teams in the country in KenPom's rankings. Seven. It had nine teams in the Top 50. Three of the four #1 seeds in the Big Dance were from the Big East. It had two Final Four participants. It was peak Big East.

The AAC has one team in the Top 35. It's a conference that likely won't have an at-large bid if Houston wins the conference tournament. It's the definition of a mid-major conference.

You can throw out direct Dyson vs Vital statistical comps because the difference in the level of the competition is so immense. You'd have to put Dyson in a slightly better version of the A-10 circa 2009 if you wanted to have that discussion.

As much as we're all thrilled with Vital's awesome streak, he's done it against KenPom ranked teams of:

I'm not discrediting Vital--you can only play who's on your schedule--but Dyson's numbers would look much different if he was facing that level of competition. Dyson's junior year our SOS was 13th. His senior year it was 10th. Last year it was 79th, this year it's 85th. It's apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Dyson played in a conference that had seven of the top 19 teams in the country in KenPom's rankings. Seven. It had nine teams in the Top 50. Three of the four #1 seeds in the Big Dance were from the Big East. It had two Final Four participants. It was peak Big East.

The AAC has one team in the Top 35. It's a conference that likely won't have an at-large bid if Houston wins the conference tournament. It's the definition of a mid-major conference.

You can throw out direct Dyson vs Vital statistical comps because the difference in the level of the competition is so immense. You'd have to put Dyson in a slightly better version of the A-10 circa 2009 if you wanted to have that discussion.

As much as we're all thrilled with Vital's awesome streak, he's done it against KenPom ranked teams of:

I'm not discrediting Vital--you can only play who's on your schedule--but Dyson's numbers would look much different if he was facing that level of competition. Dyson's junior year our SOS was 13th. His senior year it was 10th. Last year it was 79th, this year it's 85th. It's apples and oranges.

Was not a big fan of Dyson's, but you can't compare any performances since the last championship to those of the Big East era by using the same statistics -- we're just not playing the same level of the sport. You wouldn't say a Triple A hitter was better than Anthony Rendon because he posted better numbers at Tacoma than Rendon did in Washington.

Reaction Score

I agree that Dyson played a higher level of competition overall. But I still come away thinking that Vital does more things well. Things like rebounding, steals, FT%...

I would take the current, polished version of Vital over Dyson. As good as Dyson was, I never got the sense that he was a leader. Vital has certainly become a leader. Plus, he is putting up numbers that earn conference player of the week awards, over guys like Precious.

Reaction Score

Dyson also had the High school 3 point line for the majority of his career and was never a reliable shooter. Vital is shooting from 2.5 feet further back. Dyson also has a way better supporting cast around him. As you said he definitely played against much tougher competition though.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is tough because I think Precious is equally as important to his team as CV is to UConn.

With that being said Cumberland will win.

Reaction Score
I agree that Dyson played a higher level of competition overall. But I still come away thinking that Vital does more things well. Things like rebounding, steals, FT%..

I agree with your main point about preferring Vital, especially as a leader.

But specifically, Vital was competing for defensive rebounds against Tyler Polley, while Dyson was rebounding against Jeff Adrien and Thabeet. Dyson generally had higher offensive rebounding rates than Vital.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Dyson - better athlete but close. - It's clear CV has improved his athleticism. Vital darn near takes off outside the lane and finishes with vicious dunks or hanging contortions.

Vital - Better shooter. - Dyson had the better mid-range but as everyone is witnessing, Vital has a vastly improved mid-range game, he's sort of dangerous now.

Rebounding: Vital, however Dyson's activity included rebounding. Dyson did it all.

Bball skill: Tough in my mind. Vital. It's difficult for me here given career comparison. I have seen the stats and the similarities. Eye test gave me the sense that Dyson's ability to perform and contribute in crucial situations in Big East games no less cannot be ignored, no disrespect AAC. With that said I give the nod to Vital.

My two cents on the Dyson-Vital comparison. Both great motors. Motor is about as overused in hoop as culture, but it's really a gift. Guys like Westbrook have it and you the significant advantage it gives him, particularly late in the game. So when you look at both you understand how they seem to be everywhere and seemingly never tired. This quality in both, harnessed to a degree, is what I enjoyed in both CV and Dyson.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I’ll miss CV, but he sure gets whacked off a bunch on the yard.

Reaction Score

I’m looking at positive contributions and decisions on the floor toward winning, not just chucking up numbers. Anybody who thinks CV was the same player these last 8 weeks as prior was watching different games than me. There are plenty of players that can put up big numbers on a crappy team. What I respect is the huge leap in decision making, shot selection and control. Night and day.

Reaction Score
Dyson also had the High school 3 point line for the majority of his career and was never a reliable shooter. Vital is shooting from 2.5 feet further back. Dyson also has a way better supporting cast around him. As you said he definitely played against much tougher competition though.

Dyson also had the Big East competition every game in the conference. Pretty sure we can balance those out considering there were very few USFs, ECUs, Tulanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom