Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far)

Reaction Score
How is Vital roughly 10% better over his career? Are you talking FT%? I’ll give you that.

honestly hate looking at things that aren’t apples to apples like this bc as noted 3pt line was different not to mention style of play and competition.

but just from raw numbers the differences are:
FG% is about 1% nope 39% vs 40%
3PT% is about 3.5% borderline
2PT% is about 4% probably
TS% is about 5.4% I don’t have the time to check significance for this as it is an amalgamation of other shooting numbers and I have a job and family.

FT% is close to 10% so yeah
You're looking at straight percentages. Divide the difference in percentage by Dyson's percentage and you get the 10%.

If Dyson was a 35% shooter and Vital was a 38.5% shooter it'd be 38.5-35 = 3.5/35 = 10%.

If Vital one season was a 30% shooter and he increased his number to 40% the next season, he increased his shooting by 33% over the last season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Would vital start or be the first off the bench on any of our championship teams or the ‘09” team? Maybe 2014 off the bench. Or any team prior to 2015? He’s great kid who hustles his ass off but he’s not better than Dyson or KEA. He’s a great role model and ambassador for UConn

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Would vital start or be the first off the bench on any of our championship teams or the ‘09” team? Maybe 2014 off the bench. Or any team prior to 2015? He’s great kid who hustles his ass off but he’s not better than Dyson or KEA. He’s a great role model and ambassador for UConn

he’s certainly better than dyson and would’ve easily played ahead of Austrie in 09.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
he’s certainly better than dyson and would’ve easily played ahead of Austrie in 09.
so if we had vital instead of a healthy dyson against MSU we would’ve won?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
so if we had vital instead of a healthy dyson against MSU we would’ve won?

I’d like to think we would’ve won with either.
But we had no business losing to them anyway, so...

Reaction Score
Who cares? Both guys are/were great huskies. CV is a great all-around great player, period. Has some worts, who doesn't, but all positives vastly outweigh the perceived negatives.

Reaction Score
Vital will be a historical player for Uconn if he can help this team get a postseason bid they will look at this team as a turning point from bad times and he is the senior leader of this group

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
D4528D35-6488-4EBB-81E3-5CB39077F30F.jpeg

Reaction Score
His senior year has been much better than Dyson's. Dyson was horrible his senior year.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This thread, man. Whoa.

There’s literally nothing wrong with Vital, other than he has a ceiling that’s not as high as most of the 2 guards in UConn history. He far too often makes poor decisions on the fast break with the ball and when to chuck up a 3. His drives are sometimes out of control. He’s a streaky shooter with mechanics that vary game to game (they were spot on 1st half on Sunday, but next game is a coin flip). He is willing to try to be the guy who wins the game, but isn’t at a talent level where he should be that guy.

That said, I like him as a player, and want him on my team. The dude plays hard all the time, he works very hard on defense and wants every rebound, and gets many of them for a 6’2” guard. He drifts off his man much less than he did in past years. He hits free throws at a high rate. He’s gotten better at passing the ball on time to the open guy. He’s both a glue guy and a leader, and not shy about it.

I understand that stats have him as a leader for CPOY. Some of that is because, to this point in the season, he’s been the most consistent for UConn game to game. But his two really good stats are free throw shooting, and rebounds for a guard. Not what usually gets you pumped about a player.
Him doing it at 6'1" is incredible and is what gets me pumped.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Vital was 6'5" all, he would be an All-American. His lack of height and reach is his biggest knock and what impedes him from in the weak spots in his game. That said, I will miss him as he to me was a small Caron Butler - a warrior.

caw

Reaction Score
You're looking at straight percentages. Divide the difference in percentage by Dyson's percentage and you get the 10%.

If Dyson was a 35% shooter and Vital was a 38.5% shooter it'd be 38.5-35 = 3.5/35 = 10%.

If Vital one season was a 30% shooter and he increased his number to 40% the next season, he increased his shooting by 33% over the last season.

thats not how you compare percentages.

Reaction Score
If Vital was 6'5" all, he would be an All-American. His lack of height and reach is his biggest knock and what impedes him from in the weak spots in his game. That said, I will miss him as he to me was a small Caron Butler - a warrior.

If he was 6’5 he wouldn’t have pulled out of the draft his Soph year.

Kids been an overlooked and under appreciated veteran during a tough stretch. Instead of being looked at as a symbol of the Ollie era, we should maybe start to view him as a reason while we didn’t free fall into the cellar.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If he was 6’5 he wouldn’t have pulled out of the draft his Soph year.

Kids been an overlooked and under appreciated veteran during a tough stretch. Instead of being looked at as a symbol of the Ollie era, we should maybe start to view him as a reason while we didn’t free fall into the cellar.
If we could put CV’s game in BAdams’ body

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Him doing it at 6'1" is incredible and is what gets me pumped.
I wrote that back on 2/10/20. Since then he's cleaned up his act tremendously. Few if any bad 3's. Much better finishing at the rim and/or drawing fouls. Finding the open man rather than forcing it against double-teams and set defense. And fewer turnovers.

And I still want him on my team.

Reaction Score
Vital is playing the best basketball of his career right now. He will likely be conference player of the week again.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
thats not how you compare percentages.
That's not proper use of the word "you," given that's exactly how the person you were replying to did make his comparison.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wrote that back on 2/10/20. Since then he's cleaned up his act tremendously. Few if any bad 3's. Much better finishing at the rim and/or drawing fouls. Finding the open man rather than forcing it against double-teams and set defense. And fewer turnovers.

Today and Thursday, he did take a single ill-advised 3 with his team leading and less than 4 minutes on the clock. In neither case did the opposing team come down court and hit a 3, something that happened earlier in the season.

I agree with all in your post.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Just for clarification sake, my comment pertains to his rebounding prowess at 6'1" over the course of the prior two years. I agree with you though about his improvement. His floor game is so nice right now. The hoop looks twice the size in diameter and everything is in slow motion relative to offensive and defensive reads. CV may just be taking us for a ride into the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
This Board is so black and white. The truth was CV was a hot mess, made bad decisions, took terrible shots, drove recklessly and couldn’t finish. Now, he’s a PoY candidate by transforming in a short period of time like no other player I can remember. It’s nothing short of amazing. I can’t say enough about how special this is, and how wonderful it is for him. He found his true potential just in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom