Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far) | The Boneyard

Vital - Kenpom AAC POY (thus far)

Reaction Score
9C4B337B-41B4-4F80-9B7C-91E181FAB37A.png

Thought this deserved its own thread for the amount of hate he gets on this board. Seems like a lot of people see what they want to see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course you did. And I mean that with no disrespect to Vital who is great

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Hurley summed it up well post-game. CV took some 'Vital' shots, but the good he does (tenacious D, rebounding, FT%, fearless drives) considerably outweighs the occasional bad heaves. And he started 3/3 from deep so he was due for a few heat checks. Especially since he was splashing from DEEP today (nothing but net, too).

Love CVs toughness and attitude. We needed it today vs Cinci.

As exciting as it is to see what the young guys can provide, we'll sorely miss him next year.

Reaction Score
Good to hear this. I mentioned that his being in the top 5 for steals and ft% earlier this year was quite an understated accolade that should earn him some recognition. I get it’s vital. But should he make either first or second team would that say so much about him. He leaves it out there every day and yes he jacks an untimely but kills it in d. Did anyone mention his rebounding? All grit and all blue!!!

Reaction Score
Hurley summed it up well post-game. CV took some 'Vital' shots, but the good he does (tenacious D, rebounding, FT%, fearless drives) considerably outweighs the occasional bad heaves. And he started 3/3 from deep so he was due for a few heat checks. Love CVs toughness. We needed it today vs Cinci.
It’s not the “badness” of the heaves but the “badness” of the timing of those heaves.

Reaction Score
People deserve to be called out on their stupidity. And vital deserves the recognition.
The last 3 was a designed play out of a timeout. Blame hurley.
oh really? So you were in the huddle?
Don’t be dumb
Dumb??? How would you know a 3 was designed for Vital? Up 1 with the ball. Take the high percentage shot. Make it (hopefully) and now up 3.
It was clearly a designed set. Vital came off a double screen. It’s a set they run all the time for him. Do you think the team went rogue or Hurley in the huddle was like “yeah so just do whatever you want.” I’m sure if the guy who set the pick was open on the roll, that would have been an option as well, but he wasn’t.
You're wrong, the play was for Bouknight to have the ball and make a play. Hurley wanted him to dribble into an elbow pull up like he has been doing.
Correct. He even said as much in the postgame presser.
That's where I got it from but I knew there was no way the play was an NBA three for Vital out of a timeout up 1. Hurley wanted Bouknight taking all the shots down the stretch just like all the fans did.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
People underratehim on this board when the role players they worship played with the 3pt line the hs kids shoot with and vital is now playing 2 move backs from that original line.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth.

In 2017 Kenpom had Semi Ojelye as the POY and he won.
In 2018 Kenpom had Rob Gray. Gary Clark won (2nd in Kenpom)
In 2019 Kenpom had Cumberland and he won.

Relatively spot on with this stuff.
And Vital not only outplayed Cumberland (who I called the best player in the conference) on the offensive end, but shut him down on defense as well. One hell of an effort from the senior leader today. His defense down the stretch in regulation and in overtime with 4 fouls was insane. There is no questioning his ability or his heart.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately CV will never get the love he deserves because of how bad the team has been while he’s been here.

Is he frustrating to watch at times? Absolutely.

But the guy is tough as nails and does all of the little things. Plays tough defense, hits his free throws, never gives up.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth.

In 2017 Kenpom had Semi Ojelye as the POY and he won.
In 2018 Kenpom had Rob Gray. Gary Clark won (2nd in Kenpom)
In 2019 Kenpom had Cumberland and he won.

Relatively spot on with this stuff.

True, but all those teams also finished top 2 in the league. We gotta finish strong to give him a shot!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He’s oddly had almost the same exact stats since his sophomore year. His shooting is of course way down but his steals are also up to 2.4 spg.

Reaction Score
People deserve to be called out on their stupidity. And vital deserves the recognition.
Then how come whenever I call you out you have an issue with it? Lol! Vital has far outperformed his natural abilities. If he can help us get to the postseason for his first time my opinion of him may change.

I really do love his heart. At the end of they day he has UConn on his jersey so I’m always rooting for him bc I’m rooting for UConn.

But it’s also very clear to me he is not the best player on this team at least offensively and it’s clear to Hurley too.

I just think you got too far out of way to make an argument that at the end of the day NBA scouts will tell you, isn’t entirely correct.

He won’t be drafted Dave and there’s a legitimate reason for that. But you like to ignore that fact.

We now have plenty of evidence to tell us who are “guy” is and who should have the ball in their hands for the last shot.

Vital is a warrior. I will always give him that and respect him for that. But I also always will be honest on my full thoughts on a player and not just talk about the positives

Reaction Score
Can the narrative that he would be the 3rd guy off the bench on a good team die now?
It's always bothered me the way folks here have talked about him. Written him off. Theres a reason he leads the team in 4 statistical categories, most importantly HEART. There are unquantifiable "things" that he does day to day that won't show up in the box score. I think Calhoun could have made Vital an All-American. I don't care what anyone else thinks here.

Reaction Score
Can the narrative that he would be the 3rd guy off the bench on a good team die now?
If we make the postseason and he helps to carry us there for the first time ever it will die

Reaction Score
True, but all those teams also finished top 2 in the league. We gotta finish strong to give him a shot!
Don’t let us beat smu on Wednesday. We win that game and we shud be favored In all our remaining games. Running the table the rest of the regular season is really not as crazy as it sounds

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom