Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reading some of the comments. I can't wait to watch the replay of the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The boneyard is in rare form tonight. My take on tonight‘s game is: looking at the big picture, no, everyone did not play exceptionally well, but the team did.

UConn handed an undefeated team their first loss, and did it on the road while short handed. There are going to be some nights when one or two of our girls just don’t have it. It’s not their night. That’s what impressed me so much tonight was how the other players stepped up and made plays the entire game, and compensated for those who could not get untracked.

UConn won by 38 points with two of their rotation players missing, and their post player in foul trouble. Oh yeah, one other thing. They held Siegrist to 2 points in the second half. Somebody was playing some defense tonight. They held the leading scorer in the conference to 15.

I’m sorry folks, maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see the doom and gloom. Looking at the big overall picture, I think we did better than OK, we did good against the best team we’ve played so far.

We didn’t just barely win, we blew them out.
Our next game is a week from tonight against DePaul. Let’s see how we look against them. I’m betting we hand them one of Shannon Sharp’s “hot L’s.” ( a loss) Everyone will be healed and ready to play after a week off.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reading some of the comments. I can't wait to watch the replay of the game.

Watch it with an open mind, looking at the big picture. We handled a 7-0 team on their floor, and won by 38 with two of our rotation players out. There was more to like than not. We did not play a perfect game, but we won, and Geno left Philadelphia happy. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sorry if Anna is not going to hit 3’s I don’t understand why she stays in. Some say she rebounds and passes well. Well AG adds that too and can guard anyone in the game. She has great chemistry with Liv and Paige and brings a defensive intensity and takes some pressure rebounding off Liv. Right now I’d rather see her over Anna.
I like Aubrey's game, but she is not an especially good passer. Certainly not Anna's equal.

Carnac

Reaction Score
BTW-I was watching Autumn and you know she may be tiny but she knows what's going on. She was where she was supposed to be on defense and she kept the offense moving. I think she is a really good player trapped in that tiny body.

We’ll see how good she is before the season is over. I predict she’ll be on scholarship by her junior year.

Reaction Score
Both Paige and Westbrook are well spoken but you see Westbrooks maturity in her answers.
What struck me most is how genuinely fond they are of one another. Also how attuned they are to each other. In part that is because game recognizes game, but the connection is deeper than that. And it is manifested on the court.

Reaction Score
A little bit visually but Ducharme can put the ball on the floor and will play defense. Siegrist just spots up to shoot and scores off cuts because the defender turns their head. I didn’t see a double digit rebounder, especially against a good team.

Geno seems to disagree with your assessment of Siegrist in his postgame presser. He had high praise for her as a player, especially such a young player. It is more a function of the team she has around her. Put Siegrist in the Uconn system with a lot of good players around her and you probably will change your mind.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Evina is doing what Megan Walker couldnt do last year. Calm down the rest of the offense & take the pressure off of CW & ONO.
Walker was a forward, the most experienced player last year was Crystal.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Geno seems to disagree with your assessment of Siegrist in his postgame presser. He had high praise for her as a player, especially such a young player. It is more a function of the team she has around her. Put Siegrist in the Uconn system with a lot of good players around here and you probably will change your mind.
Such a difference between her knowing what to do on offense and Aubrey both sophomores.

Reaction Score
There's so many people that seem to want to minimize Anna's contributions to this team .... she's a very well rounded player who is so solid and yet she has so many critics ....
A lot of the people who are critical of Anna would be singing a different tune when they saw the number of mistakes that Aubrey or Mir would make if they started playing 30-35 minutes a game. Not to mention the fact that the offense would likely not run nearly as smoothly as it does with Anna in the game. I believe she will find her shot and settle into a routine where she knows when to shoot and when to pass and when that happens her shooting percentage will get back (hopefully) to where it was last year. If she starts shooting 40+ percent on threes, it will change us from really good to great! Aaliyah would obviously make less mistakes but she, like the others is not a threat from outside nor is she the passer that Anna is.

Reaction Score
A lot of the people who are critical of Anna would be singing a different tune when they saw the number of mistakes that Aubrey or Mir would make if they started playing 30-35 minutes a game. Not to mention the fact that the offense would likely not run nearly as smoothly as it does with Anna in the game. I believe she will find her shot and settle into a routine where she knows when to shoot and when to pass and when that happens her shooting percentage will get back (hopefully) to where it was last year. If she starts shooting 40+ percent on threes, it will change us from really good to great! Aaliyah would obviously make less mistakes but she, like the others is not a threat from outside nor is she the passer that Anna is.
Exacitly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's so many people that seem to want to minimize Anna's contributions to this team .... she's a very well rounded player who is so solid and yet she has so many critics ....
For the most part, at least in this thread, it's only 1. Beat the drum. Beat the drum. Beat the drum.

Amazingly, Geno leaves Anna on the floor for long stretches at a time. It wouldn't surprise me if Geno actually knew more about his team than the rest of us. Shocking, I know. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What struck me most is how genuinely fond they are of one another. Also how attuned they are to each other. In part that is because game recognizes game, but the connection is deeper than that. And it is manifested on the court.
Totally agree. Now if they could just use that chemistry to communicate better on the floor! One thing Geno has lamented all season so far is getting the team to talk and communicate while on the floor. It's one reason the defense is so disjointed at times and why they have so many defensive lapses.

Fortunately, it will improve as the season goes on. So many new parts, not a well oiled machine yet...!

Reaction Score
I’m sorry if Anna is not going to hit 3’s I don’t understand why she stays in. Some say she rebounds and passes well. Well AG adds that too and can guard anyone in the game. She has great chemistry with Liv and Paige and brings a defensive intensity and takes some pressure rebounding off Liv. Right now I’d rather see her over Anna.
Anna does a lot more than just score. She stretches the floor and therefore opens the middle for cutters and for our bigs. As the 4, the opposing 4 has to guard her from 20ft away and they are not used to doing that often.

AM is an exceptional passer and AG cannot pass the way Anna does. Anna helps lead the break with head up. She also rebounds well. I haven't seen the game yet, but in general, this is why she plays a lot of minutes even if her shot isn't on. I see that AE was injured and didn't play, so if she was there, AM probably would have played less.

Now there are loads of things AG does very well and I love her game. One thing she has not shown she can do is to hit a jumper of any kind. Therefore teams can clog the middle when she is in the game. This makes other players on the team less effective. Not enough room for cutters or our bigs in the paint. But, AG definitely has a big role on this team and will make an impact as she usually does in the right spots. For example, I like the post up isolation she had a game or two ago. But that only works if the other players are stretching the floor to give her room in the paint to execute this.

On the whole, Anna is the least appreciated player on this team. I do understand that to a certain degree, especially if you are only watching the scoring column in the box score. In saying that, against top teams, she will need to hit her shots and this in my view, is a legitimate concern. She has shown a propensity to be streaky.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both Paige and Westbrook are well spoken but you see Westbrooks maturity in her answers.

But it is also clear how sharp Paige is and that Evina often defers to Paige to answer (perhaps jokingly but still);

Very heartwarming to see two kids fulfilling their dreams and enjoying each other

1) Paige succeeding at her dream school from childhood and beginning the latest and perhaps greatest era at UConn absorbing everything.
2) Evina turning around her orange purgatory and "bleeding blue" while pouring her experience and love into her fledglings as the Mama Bear

This is the money shot I will enjoy into the holidays. Great pick by the coaches that Evina and Paige should do the presser together.

1608724906879.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The pull-ups for her should be like layups. The problem is she’s not taking it with conviction. While she’s going up she’s still half thinking pass and then guiding it. Stop thinking, cut it loose, and drill it. ;)
Paige short-armed a few shots. It happens. I suspect she’ll be in the gym today shooting a couple thousand shots. I’m not worried about her ability to knock down that jumper.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay and have my 2 cents worth. It would be great to hear what you guys think:

I didn’t think the team was that bad on defense this game. They had some lapses, especially in the first half, but that was mostly against #20. They also gave up 4 straight 3s where the rotation was a bit slow in the 4th Qtr. However, UCONN did seem to wear Villanova down as the game wore on.

Back door cuts and/or beaten off the dribble: CW-3 – this is a problem for CW, AM-2 – one caused ONO to foul but it wasn’t called, AG-1, EW-1,

ONO still struggles to finish through contact although she did once or twice from smaller players. She is showing a sweet stroke.

CW struggles to shoot the 3 off the move. She seems much more accurate when she can just stand and shoot the 3. Great getting to the rim.

EW-savvy player, good decision maker. Knows how to play BB! Stroked the 3 as well. Good anticipation in passing lanes. I’m still worried about her lateral movement. Back to the knee sleeve. Is she still having problems with her knee?

AM – 2 really good passes in 1st half to lead to 2 pts and 2 FT attempts. Only took 5 shots and I’m don’t think this was her fault. But, she missed too many. Would have had a couple more assists if teammates made the shot. Good rebounding game. I hope she works through her streaky shooting soon bc it seems to be showing up again.

AG- nice game. They had her on two clear out post-ups…I love this play when she is in the game and they can spread the floor to let her operate! Active player..always seems to make things happen. Needs shooters in the game with her to make her more effective.

PB – first time I’ve seen GA use her on the post-up. Terrific play for 2. Never seems to take a bad shot. Misses the mid-range shot off the mini-drive too often, although she did make a couple pretty ones this game. She will not struggle with this for long! Once she gets her mid-range and 3 pointers a bit more consistent, her scoring will be 18+ per game while also getting her teammates involved with terrific passing (5 plus assists). This means she can kick the ball to Anna and EW for open 3s. IMHO, PB will be either directly or indirectly responsible for close to half our points going forward.

I’m starting to get the feeling PB can get her shot just about any time she wants: gets to the hoop. Mid-range, 3 pointer, anticipating passing lanes, on the break, etc. I think she took a big step forward today. Only one TO and had the ball in her hands every possession. Terrific game. Plays like a senior already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno needs the ball handler so Aaliyah will not be taking Anna’s minutes.

Basketball is more than just scoring.
Thought Paige and Evina and CW and Nika were ball handlers..thanks for the correction..

Reaction Score
Watch it with an open mind, looking at the big picture. We handled a 7-0 team on their floor, and won by 38 with two of our rotation players out. There was more to like than not. We did not play a perfect game, but we won, and Geno left Philadelphia happy. :)
I found it interesting that Geno referred to the two injured players as six and seven.

Reaction Score
Was thinking Nika and Edwards would get some minutes and Autumn might surprise us so don't leaf her out(see what I did)..
nice one. I got it after reading it the second time. At first I was a little concerned that you didn't know how to spell leave.....:)

of course 'leaves her out' would have worked too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom