Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even though it seemed like we were fouling a lot, did Nova attempt any FTs? I don't remember any but then again I don't remember lots of things...:confused:
I used to say, "I remembered everything till I was 50, never needed to take a note. Then forgot 50 to 60. Since 60...... wait a minute what was I talking about?"

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've said this before, but I'm convinced now that Aaliyah will be in the starting lineup before season end. Anna is the player that will be out of the starting lineup. She did nothing last night on offense until the game was decided. She missed her first three point attempt and went into a shell not looking for her shot. I also don't think she had a good game on defense either.

Aaliyah like Live also picks up early fouls because of her aggressiveness. She'll need to get that under control as Geno can't afford to have both Liv and Aaliyah in foul trouble if Aaliyah is in the starting lineup.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Chrystin and Liv showed up and played a great game. Liv had a few bad calls, but didn't let it get in
her way, which shows how far she come from last year.

Westbrook as I stated before is getting better and better each game!!

All of our team captains showed up tonight. Liv just got caught with her hand in the cookie jar, and had to sit longer than she should have. We’re a different team with ONO on the floor.

Last edited:

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
A few rebounds? Anna lead the team in rebounds tonight.

9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal

And she would have had a few more assists if the recipients didn’t miss the bunny...

While she didn’t have the shooting night that we all want (and she’s not off to the start we wish she would be), she’s not just standing around twiddling her thumbs.
Everbody wishes Anna was shooting a better percentage, but if i told you before the game that AG or Mir would have Anna's stat line (3 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal & 1 block) a lot of people on this board would be very happy.

Geno keeps Anna in the lineup because the ball moves when she is in the game and if she isn't shooting well she still passes, sets picks and rebounds.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Overall a great team effort against a pretty good team. Alot of questions answered as were mentioned in this thread already. Evina playing the point seemed to help her overall game. Paige in the first qtr seemed to not get to many touches. Then she took off. We are watching a Superstar in Paige and its getting contagious as our guards are playing more aggressively and rebounding, and as a team without alot of height we are rebounding pretty well.

We have a few days off and then back to practice and get ready for Depaul and @Baylor. We will get alot of exposure and I expect a big UConn win in Waco. Our guards will shine and Liv and AE need to stay out of foul trouble.

We are better then a good team and we are developing into a team that can dominate alot of top teams in WCBB. Last nights game showed how much we have improved and how much more we have in us to improve. I felt last night Paige didnt handle the ball enough expecially in the first qtr. Then again having Evina handle the ball seemed to help her over all game. I think Geno will handle that.

Bottom line we had good stats, showed improvement, and beat a pretty good team by 38 on their floor.

Reaction Score
Not much more to add. Seemed to me that Villanova is a well coached, disciplined team that maximizes the kids they have.

The first quarter I was thinking "this team isn't ready to take on top teams yet." Then they settled down and and scored 90 and winning by 38. Not too shabby.

Geno keeps telling us they aren't a great shooting team from outside. I think it's time to believe him. They can still score though. I do have some concerns moving forward when they play teams with height. They won't be able to score inside so easily.

While they are far from perfect defensively at this point, they are holding every team they have played below their scoring average. Nothing about this game spoiled my eggnog...

Reaction Score
I’m sorry if Anna is not going to hit 3’s I don’t understand why she stays in. Some say she rebounds and passes well. Well AG adds that too and can guard anyone in the game. She has great chemistry with Liv and Paige and brings a defensive intensity and takes some pressure rebounding off Liv. Right now I’d rather see her over Anna.

She once again did what Coach Geno has pointed out: make three's late in the fourth quarter after the game has been decided. There's a head thing going on there. She needs to think offense instead of just dribble, then find someone to pass to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everbody wishes Anna was shooting a better percentage, but if i told you before the game that AG or Mir would have Anna's stat line (3 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal & 1 block) a lot of people on this board would be very happy. Geno keeps Anna in the lineup because the ball moves when she is in the game and if she isn't shooting well she still passes, sets picks and rebounds.
Anna is not AG or Mir though, she is a starter. Loved Anna rebounding effort, however she only attempted 5 shots in 35 minutes of game action all from deep and only made 1. That kind of shot imbalance and inaccuracy is going to present an opportunity for the defense to sag off, concentrate elsewhere or concede that shot altogether. AKA the Moriah Jefferson & Kelly Faris treatment during their Freshman and Sophomore campaigns

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with P.S. Phil and respectfully agree with Mdstang........Anna’s stat line was terrific. This is team basketball, and that’s what I see. Phil, maybe you possibly need a stronger set of prescription glasses. Hooray for Anna. Keep on being the awesome player you are!

Reaction Score
I thought Anna was solid we don’t need her to put up big numbers just hit a occasionally 3 here and there .. Watching the game I thought the team played well but reading some on the comments here made me wonder .. who’s the female announcer she stunk would nice to mute her .. Westbrook is coming into form .. I’ve seen the other top teams play and honestly feel none of them are better than this UConn team, last year was a different story this team has many scoring options last season we were limited offensively.. This team is getting better every game and will continue to grow ..

Reaction Score
Liv dominates the middle in the Big East. The teams are now are figuring that flopping is a good strategy when Liv is on offense. Baylor will be her first test. Hopefully she passes I just watched last year's game and she did nothing for us on offense. She is better but as one other poster said she still has some trouble on contact.
Evina seemed to me to be playing the point for most of the game and they just to use Paige as a scorer. The offense reminded me of last year's. Not as much movement or back cuts. Villanova actually appeared to run their offense a little better. They just don't have the athletes. Evina is steady and a great player to have. Does a lot well.
Wished we had Aaliyah tonight.
Anna is going to have to score off the dribble someday.
Aubrey will get better because she works hard every play.
I've said this before, but I'm convinced now that Aaliyah will be in the starting lineup before season end. Anna is the player that will be out of the starting lineup. She did nothing last night on offense until the game was decided. She missed her first three point attempt and went into a shell not looking for her shot. I also don't think she had a good game on defense either.

Aaliyah like Live also picks up early fouls because of her aggressiveness. She'll need to get that under control as Geno can't afford to have both Liv and Aaliyah in foul trouble if Aaliyah is in the starting lineup.
I think it is the reason she won't start but will play good minutes depending on the flow of the game. She will be trouble for all of our competition. We will need her physicality against Baylor and to help us beat them.

Reaction Score
Geno seems to disagree with your assessment of Siegrist in his postgame presser. He had high praise for her as a player, especially such a young player. It is more a function of the team she has around her. Put Siegrist in the Uconn system with a lot of good players around her and you probably will change your mind.
Coaches are never candid with their public assessments of other team's players. Always positive comments.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Love to comment but Fox refused to give me the feed last night. I look forward to the replay. You are spared my slavish devotion to Anna and Paige, mid-range misses or not.
Any idea why you didn't get the game? I had no problems streaming it with my Roku stick on Fox Sports.
Just curious...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There can't be too many people in the world that would have won way more than 11 championships if they'd gotten the UConn job in the 80s instead of Geno. Something of a miracle that they are all posting on the boneyard.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Finally got to watch the game this morning...
Reaction after the 1st quarter...

-Villanova (aside from no height) a worthy opponent.

-UConn as a team, is getting comfortable with Geno's concepts about how to operate on the offensive side: movement, finding open shots, going to the hoop aggressively, pick and rolls....everything looks better. becoming a real dangerous team.

-Less so on the defensive side, but its coming. He's right, its not a great defensive team...but it will get there; at least make progress.

-The all-around court prowess of Mama E is a pleasure to behold; what
a terrific addition.

-I never thought I would say this...but for several moments, Paige disappeared a la CW, last season. Are my eyes deceiving me?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Finally got to watch the game this morning...
Reaction after the 1st quarter...

-Villanova (aside from no height) a worthy opponent.

-UConn as a team, is getting comfortable with Geno's concepts about how to operate on the offensive side: movement, finding open shots, going to the hoop aggressively, pick and rolls....everything looks better. becoming a real dangerous team.

-Less so on the defensive side, but its coming. He's right, its not a great defensive team...but it will get there; at least make progress.

-The all-around court prowess of Mama E is a pleasure to behold; what
a terrific addition.

-I never thought I would say this...but for several moments, Paige disappeared a la CW, last season. Are my eyes deceiving me?
No but I think "disappeared" is a little strong. There were sequences where Geno deliberately moved Paige off the ball and put the ball in Evina's hands. Clearly Paige is better with the ball in her hands but those sequences with Evina handling were pretty productive and IMO necessary for future opponents.

Reaction Score
Next game can’t come soon enough! These gals are awesome! So psyched for the Baylor game!!!
Baylor is going to be a big test. They are not as good as in prior years, but still a lot better than UCONN has seen thus far. They have some good and strong players. It will be great if this UCONN team can hold up to the big increase in competition. I feel good about how some our our players will respond. I'm mostly worried about Liv to me honest.

Reaction Score
Evina is doing what Megan Walker couldnt do last year. Calm down the rest of the offense & take the pressure off of CW & ONO.

Not another Megan Walker beat up. When will she ever RIP?

1608741484758.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA