Villanova Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • Siegrist is a good player with a high basketball IQ. The answer to the question of who guards her seemed to be just about everyone, with UConn switching off on her to start the game. UConn’s most effective defense was the 2/3 zone, which neutralized a lot of Siegrist's movement on offense.
  • Two marginal, 1st half touch fouls on Liv significantly altered the direction of the game, making Aaliyah’s ankle sprain more significant than it should have been.
  • With Liv on the bench in foul trouble and no Aaliyah, it was important for our guards to be more aggressive. When Evina, Christyn & Paige started hunting shots, UConn settled down.
  • Liv can be dominant when she’s in the game, so she needs to stay in the game and not pick up cheap fouls, like she did in the 2nd half.
  • Not a particularly good outside shooting effort for the Huskies, but a solid road win against a well-coached and disciplined Nova team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The game would not have been close if UConn hit a better percentage of threes. Interestingly Paige was short on all of her misses tonight. I don't think Geno subbed for her once. 7 games off will help what seems to be tired legs.

Evina gets my vote for the 2nd game in a row for MVP.

I was shocked that Villanova couldn't solve a zone with UConn fielding such a small lineup. I was also shocked that UConn had so much problems playing this team M2M.

Liv would have had a monster game if she could've managed to stay in the game. She had a bunch of really silly fouls.

In the first half Villanova had success against Paige by simply denying her dibble and forcing her to shoot or pass.

Isn't it funny how we BY-ers have come to love and depend on Edwards so much so soon?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another thing about Edwards. Cocohusky has pointed out how much she talks in the game. With her in there in the first half that would not have been the issue it was. Clearly UConn talked to each other more in the 3rd quarter. Good victory against a good team. The best they've seen so far.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry if Anna is not going to hit 3’s I don’t understand why she stays in. Some say she rebounds and passes well. Well AG adds that too and can guard anyone in the game. She has great chemistry with Liv and Paige and brings a defensive intensity and takes some pressure rebounding off Liv. Right now I’d rather see her over Anna.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Very disappointed with Anna tonight..hung around the 3 pt line..got a few rebounds..o well ...

A few rebounds? Anna lead the team in rebounds tonight.

9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal

And she would have had a few more assists if the recipients didn’t miss the bunny...

While she didn’t have the shooting night that we all want (and she’s not off to the start we wish she would be), she’s not just standing around twiddling her thumbs.

Reaction Score
the switch seems to have flipped for Squeaks, she’s playing aggressive and looking for her shot. If she’s consistent, I think she can make The Wall.

Evina is playing a lot of minutes after coming back from injury and it looks like she’s finding her groove. She seems to be our only outside threat.

ONO, solid game.

Paige could have had 25, but alas, the Kid is human.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was shocked that Villanova couldn't solve a zone with UConn fielding such a small lineup. I was also shocked that UConn had so much problems playing this team M2M.
Not shocking at all. As Geno noted in the post game interview, ‘Nova moves a lot and makes a lot of cuts. They may have a new coach but the system is similar to Harry’s. Cut off the cutter and she’ll pass to one of the three point shooters on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Nova came out swinging and landed a few taps on the jaw. But, in the end, they just didn't have enough firepower. They also lack any sort of inside game, so they live and die by the long ball.
The Huskies, on the other hand, can be baffling for a few minutes as they sort themselves out. Then the depth of talent asserts itself and reality sets in. Can't stress how Liv's growth has given this team a real center of gravity. She anchors the offense and the defense. Not all bigs do that, and Liv didn't at the beginning of her career. With her we have a chance to beat anyone.
P/S: Geno's subbing was excellent; he was really up for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom