Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Liv was on pace to have a field day (7/9 fg) 19 points in 23 minutes, well on her way to a 30+ point game. But she took a short cut to gramma’s house, and got in foul trouble along the way. She sat for 17 minutes. If she stays on the floor, the mov would have been much larger.
Carnac, like my dad used to always say to me when I used the if word. "IF dog hadn't stopped to , he would have caught the rabbit!" :) ;)

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Team missing 2 strong bench players due to injury, but Nova wasn't able to take advantage. Kept Maddy Siegrist to 15 -- not a great shutdown, but respectable., I thought. Tonight only Aubrey could be counted on from the bench, & Liv had to sit for some time -- the other starters had to play long minutes and hardly tired out in the second half.

CW still continues to improve. Led team in assists, & 18 pts w/out shooting FTs. She attacks the basket.

EW had a great night, contributing in scoring & defense. Led the team in scoring efficiency I believe. Tries to thread the needle with her passes more than Paige was my impression, but great when she's on.

Liv, when she was in, was stalwart under the basket (didn't shoot from outside that I recall). Getting a bit more steady with the FTs compared to the first game.

PB kind of held back in the early part of the game, then turned the motor on in the second half. Really pleased she hit all 3 FTs when she was fouled (compared to FT in previous game), able to compartmentalize the bad stuff. Still having a bit of trouble with short range shots (stop and pop) and no successful 3 pt shots (but her confidence isn't affected when her shots don't drop; shooters gotta shoot). Earliest games she really had the "touch." That said, beautiful finisher, and infiltrates seams sometimes better than CW. I didn't notice any fancy-ass passes this time around.

Anna was pretty quiet scoring, but led the team in rebounds, which I think helped the transition game, & didn't foul.

Aubrey was great off the bench. Geno seems to have a good feel for bringing out the best of her by subbing her with the right combinations of players.

I'm not sure if Mir was put in because of the bench injuries, but she had her moments. For the short time she played, she had as many fouls as Liv, though.

Reaction Score
Defense is a work in progress. Siegrist reminded me of Caroline Durcharme a bit.
A little bit visually but Ducharme can put the ball on the floor and will play defense. Siegrist just spots up to shoot and scores off cuts because the defender turns their head. I didn’t see a double digit rebounder, especially against a good team.

Reaction Score
Tale of two halves for the huskies tonight:
  • Liv is much improved this year and I hope she can get better as the year goes along. She still misses some easy layups with contact from smaller players but her decisive and who moves in the post now are night and day from the last two years. When she’s in the game she facilities, blocks shots and runs the floor well for easy points. We can I’ll afford her on foul trouble against the best teams in the nation
  • CWill continues to impress with her aggressiveness and all around game. Her movement and outside shooting is much better this year and she’s a constant now on rebounding effort and passing. I’m being picky here but still misses one or two easy layups or open shots but really love her maturity this year
  • E had another well rounded game and if she can hit half of her three pointers she will be a legitimate force offensively for this team. She is already a very good defensive player so what’s missing now is a pull-up midrange and a consistent 3. So glad we have her and hope she continues to get better because I think she’s the key for us against really good teams as they try to stop Paige and CWill. Need that 3rd option to knock down big shots or get to the basket. Only negative tonight were a couple of forced passes
  • Anna had a bad game. Didn’t look comfortable and was extremely hesitant to shoot. I think she needs to work her midrange and try driving more as she’s settling a little too much on her 3 pointers. If she’s hitting it great but when’s she’s not she seems to retreat a lot. Hope she can gain the confidence and swagger in the next game and ready for Baylor
  • Paige had a good but not great game, which is crazy because she was the leading scorer and (yes still a Freshman) with Liv and yet probably everyone will agree she could’ve played better. I’m not worried about her because I know by seasons end she will make everyone one of those foul line pull up shots. Just so automatic. Great instructive player on defense too
  • Aubrey and Mir give you the defense, transition, offensive rebounding game. But with Aubrey she just hesitated too much and often time doesn’t know what the right play should be before it’s too late and the defense resets. It is what it is for now. They will give us the 6-8 points and offensive rebounding
  • Piath had a nice pass to Mir.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Little stuff I noticed;

Liv rarely converts after contact. I was hoping with the added strength that would improve.

I wish Paige would quit falling forward on her foul shots. She made them all tonight but overall would be more consistent if she went straight up.

Backside or weak side rebounding in the zone has to get better. Unfortunately, Evina was the main culprit of not boxing out from her low spot on the zone. Anna got pulled in the first half because she didn't do it.

It is weird that Aubrey only plays at the most 7 or 8 minute spurts. Does she fatigue?

Speaking of Aubrey, it was interesting watching her on the high post against a zone. She hesitates a little but if a big tries to guard her, Aubrey has a great chance to take her to the basket.
How can a player be more consistent than one thousand per cent? How can she more consistent when she does not miss a free throw?

Reaction Score
For me, Evina was the star of the night just doing everything.

Really happy that Chrystin and Liv are being consistent and acting like mature players.

Paige's game is sort of an enigma to me right now. There were stretches tonight when I wasn't sure she was on the floor and Evina was the PG. Then there were stretches where she was everywhere. The 19 pts seem to come out of nowhere.

The whole game I kept thinking if Aaliyah was healthy, they could have had way over 100. Villanova is paint challenged.
The only problem I see with Bueckers is that she doesn’t play with a scorer’s mentality, it’s kind of like an afterthought to her. Because she sees the floor so well, she could hunt shots and still find open targets anyway. I’d tell her, I don’t care how you do it but you better have 25 when the game ends or you’ll really hear about it.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The Anna criticism is kinda funny. The team scored 90. If she’s shooting someone else isn’t. Obviously she will look like she’s making a bigger impact if she scores 8-10 points. But she got 9 boards, her D isn’t as bad as some say, she is a solid passer on breaks. There is a trade off if Aubrey starts. Some more inside points, less reliable as a ball handler. We know Anna is capable of having decent scoring games. The test on O will come against teams where ONO can’t score so easily. Then there might be a need to decide if the configuration we see now needs adjusting.

Reaction Score
Stats review:

Three players had at least 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists tonight (Bueckers, Westbrook and Williams).

Since 2000-01 approx a third of players have achieved it in any single game. Since 2000-01 there are 7 UConn players who have achieved it in at least 10% of their games played.

1608693384753.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The problem I see with Bueckers is that she doesn’t play with a scorer’s mentality, it’s kind of like an afterthought to her. Because she sees the floor so well, she could hunt shots and still find open targets anyway. I’d tell her, I don’t care how you do it but you better have 25 when the game ends or you’ll really hear about it.
In the pregame show, Kara commented that Geno has been after Paige not to pass up open shots. She responded by taking 15 shots today, more than in any previous game. She also missed 8 shots, which was also more than in any previous game.

Reaction Score
Villanova didn't rollover and die and gave us a game for awhile. In the end not enough height or talent to keep it close. EW did everything one could want. She started the season tentatively, which is understandable, but now is playing with confidence, maturity and at a high level. CW has turned it around from last season and is playing really well. ONO continues to impress me. Se isn't a natural low post banger but scores and defends well. She is even making her free throws! Paige did nothing that would make me think she isn't going to be one of the great UConn point guards. Her quiet games are still very good. Griff and Mir gave good minutes off the bench but neither has convinced me they deserve to start. I just wish Griff would slow down - even when she is doing good stuff her game is so herky-jerky. She is such a good athlete that if she were less frantic and smoothed her game out she would jump to the next level. Anna does enough to get the start; unless her 3pt shooting consistently improves she may come off the bench next year.

Reaction Score
In the pregame show, Kara commented that Geno has been after Paige not to pass up open shots. She responded by taking 15 shots today, more than in any previous game. She also missed 8 shots, which was also more than in any previous game.
The pull-ups for her should be like layups. The problem is she’s not taking it with conviction. While she’s going up she’s still half thinking pass and then guiding it. Stop thinking, cut it loose, and drill it. ;)

Reaction Score
We need Paige scoring 20 to 25 points a night. Takes the pressure off the rest of the offense, so we can get at least 4 maybe 5 double digit scorers. Thats what its going to take to with the tough games in April.

Reaction Score
Paige too unselfish & not moving as well off the ball. She can break the zone via the dribble or cutting anytime she wants. She should be taking open mid-range shots or layups most of the game if she is on.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry if Anna is not going to hit 3’s I don’t understand why she stays in. Some say she rebounds and passes well. Well AG adds that too and can guard anyone in the game. She has great chemistry with Liv and Paige and brings a defensive intensity and takes some pressure rebounding off Liv. Right now I’d rather see her over Anna.
She gets nervous on offense and still doesn't know what to do with the ball. She is a bigger liability on offense than Ania is

Reaction Score
Anna must have been doing something right for Geno to let her stay on the floor for 35 out of 40 min.
Geno knows a lot more about Anna's importance to this team than does the people that seem to rely simply on how many points a player scores ... she's on the floor so frequently because of the myriad of ways she influences the game and makes the Huskies better

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paige 19, CW 19, ONO 19 and Evina 17 pts, what a balance team.
Evina is finally showing her power tonight.
0205B5A2-ADEF-4E90-8D0C-83567308A10A.jpeg

Four players one shot away from having a 20 point night? We are a tough team to be with everyone is on.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed with Anna tonight..hung around the 3 pt line..got a few rebounds..o well ...
No attack but there is a place in my coaching heart for re-bounders. That leads to others scoring like four others did in double digits tonight. Getting old, can't remember when 9 rebounds was considered a few. Actually it was just under 20% of the team total, not a bad night at all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom