Villanova and St. John's games postponed... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova and St. John's games postponed...

Reaction Score

The above article says that the Big East is responsible for postponing our games, so one would assume that the same will be done with Butler.
Whoa, whoa...You are ruining a great narrative that is some conspiracy at the highest levels of CT state government.

Reaction Score
so genuine question...whats the odds this is a false positive? You're gonna tell me that some old (no offense) ref had covid symptoms and was able to run up and down the court for 40 minutes? No chance
Maybe he was asymptomatic. Maybe they all get tested after the games as part of the protocol.

Reaction Score
Assuming there's no game until 2/6, I don't see them making up all 3 games. That would be 12 games in 30 days.
It would be completely awful and totally unfair to them academically/physically/every other way for the team to play 12 games in 30 days, but how amazing as a fan would it be to get to watch a UConn game almost every other night for a month straight?

Reaction Score
Remember that yesterday's Butler game had a decent possibility of being cancelled last week ? Due to a positive test on Butler team - turned false positive.

If we didn't play last night we would be staring down a very real possibility of losing our 3rd in a row tomorrow vs Nova. That could have been damaging. This is a season of ifs .

Now if we can't reschedule anyone before 2/6 Seton Hall, what about adding a 3rd game vs Butler - in a season of unbalanced schedules ? UConn has shown that could defeat them easily without Bouk..... Ok, just a thought.
Why would Butler want to schedule another guaranteed loss? This is not professional sports where a team tanks to get a better draft pick. From their perspective, they might want to schedule a team they have a better chance of beating.

Reaction Score
Agreed - why would they no use the hand whistles that are so common now? Seems like a no brainier to have ref and masks with hand whistles.

CHEAP FIX
Sounds like a good idea.

But, check out some of the one star reviews of the product.

From the United States​

Erika Grant

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk!
Reviewed in the United States on September 14, 2020
Verified Purchase
I am a PE teacher. I bought two whistles. Both of them stopped working after a week. I spent $14 on batteries. The new batteries only lasted one week. The manufacturer offered to mail me new whistles and cover the cost of the batteries. Never heard from them again. Very disappointed!
Helpful
Report abuse

Mary J Todd

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless
Reviewed in the United States on October 20, 2020
Verified Purchase
The whistle was too expensive, too bulky, and not loud enough to be heard in a gymnasium.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The refs should be wearing masks . Now I understand not playing tomorrow, but they could have waited before postponing Sunday's game. One one hand I wanted to see the team in action vs Nova and SJU, but I can wait. Need Bouk for Nova.
One ref was wearing a mask I think. I know I thought it odd at the time when he was masked up and the TV gad a close up talking to a player

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Also, the Big East website now shows our next two games postponed but Xavier plays on. So can we assume the decision is being made by UConn and the state of CT? I mean, the Xavier players were exposed to those same officials last night. :confused:
We played Butler last night

Reaction Score
Unless the season is extended, there is no way to make up these games after the 6th. I had looked at Xavier's schedule the other day and unless one of our two teams played back to back days, there were no options. My guess is the same would be true for games with Nova and St. Johns.

Reaction Score
One ref was wearing a mask I think. I know I thought it odd at the time when he was masked up and the TV gad a close up talking to a player
The ref wearing the mask was Pat Driscoll who I believe is the best ref in the country. Notice hoe few fouls there were last night? When I see he is doing our games I am pretty confident both teams will be staying out of foul trouble.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The ref wearing the mask was Pat Driscoll who I believe is the best ref in the country. Notice hoe few fouls there were last night? When I see he is doing our games I am pretty confident both teams will be staying out of foul trouble.
I have no idea who these refs are. All I noticed was he was wearing a mask and the other two were. If I were contact tracing I would start with him!

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t make any plans to delay scheduling games based on Bouknight’s possible availability.
Is there anything more you could give us towards that? That would really really suck.

Reaction Score
Tournament will be in a bubble in Indy.
Is this confirmed? The NCAA tournament being in a bubble that is? Also, how long is the tournament? Is it the normal 3 week time period? Or some sort of condensed schedule?

The reason why I ask is, I think the prolonged bubble situation raises questions about a student athlete's amateur status. Meaning, the argument that these kids are not professionals eventhough they are forced to confine themselves to a location not of their choosing for multiple weeks falls apart.

Their amateur status has always been a bit of a joke. They already were amateurs by the smallest margin. The prolonged bubble situation may be the final straw for an astute lawyer. At the very least, schools may be required to pay players while in the bubble.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

That's what I was getting at with Hurley's comments about Bouk in today's paper:

That doesn't sound great to my ears; and reading between the lines I sense that the decision may have more to do with how Bouk and his people think it will affect his draft status, and perhaps Hurley is not involved in those discussions.
I really think it’s more about his circle than him. But, when I look at 3 Mock Drafts - he’s 15, 10 and 9. So who’s to say they’re wrong even though Chief told one of them they were wrong. LOL Basically, talent and 6 games from last season and 3-4 good games from this season - gets him to be a lottery pick. Not much of a body of work. He likes the college scene (even with Covid) and his mom is a very nice lady - but they are not the ones in my view making the chess moves. Chief’s point is he could move up a few slots if he had a good year next season with maybe normalcy returning. I don’t think his advisers feel it’s worth the risk /reward.

Reaction Score
Is this confirmed? The NCAA tournament being in a bubble that is? Also, how long is the tournament? Is it the normal 3 week time period? Or some sort of condensed schedule?

The reason why I ask is, I think the prolonged bubble situation raises questions about a student athlete's amateur status. Meaning, the argument that these kids are not professionals eventhough they are forced to confine themselves to a location not of their choosing for multiple weeks falls apart.
Yes, been confirmed for a while. It expands slightly outside of Indy to Bloomington and West Layfette I believe. More or less same schedule

Reaction Score
Starting to wonder if we see Bouk in a Uconn game again.
Is sitting out a option?? Could he feel playing could not improve his draft position?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I really think it’s more about his circle than him. But, when I look at 3 Mock Drafts - he’s 15, 10 and 9. So who’s to say they’re wrong even though Chief told one of them they were wrong. LOL Basically, talent and 6 games from last season and 3-4 good games from this season - gets him to be a lottery pick. Not much of a body of work. He likes the college scene (even with Covid) and his mom is a very nice lady - but they are not the ones in my view making the chess moves. Chief’s point is he could move up a few slots if he had a good year next season with maybe normalcy returning. I don’t think his advisers feel it’s worth the risk /reward.
Yeah I have no info at all but my sense is that is where we are, and I'm sure it's frustrating for both Bouk and Hurley.

I'm with you on the draft thoughts, but I was also thinking that he'd presumably have the opportunity to be brought in for workouts and the like before the draft, and that his people may be counting on that to help firm up his status and prospects.

I so much want to have a "Rip junior year"-type scenario with Bouk, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards, unfortunately, and I don't know if Hurley has the sway at this point that JC had with Rip to change that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom