Villanova and St. John's games postponed... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Villanova and St. John's games postponed...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is nothing good about this. But are there any potential replacements?

1611774618780.png

Reaction Score
But it’s pretty stupid to not use another way of making a noise that doesn’t require expelling potentially Infected air.

its beyond stupid that they let anyone but players be without a mask!
And how would you do that? Have the refs running around with air horns?

Reaction Score
But it’s pretty stupid to not use another way of making a noise that doesn’t require expelling potentially Infected air.

its beyond stupid that they let anyone but players be without a mask!

Agreed - why would they no use the hand whistles that are so common now? Seems like a no brainier to have ref and masks with hand whistles.

CHEAP FIX

Reaction Score
This guy!
During the game, I noted at least 1 younger ref sported a mask. This older higher target risk guy, un-masked. Not sure about the 3rd ref, so cue ball may have an out.

Reaction Score
There is nothing good about this. But are there any potential replacements?
Brother please read the thread before posting. We’ve been over this. We are not scheduling any games.

Reaction Score
I am appalled at the willingness of people on this board to express strong opinions in the absence of knowledge. To all the people saying something along the lines of "CT DPH sucks if Butler isn't on pause too!": Find out first if that's the case, and then complain. Also, if that were the case, that would just mean that Butler is stupid and UConn is doing the right thing, so there's that.

And then there are the armchair epidemiologists on this board saying, "Just test everyone and play the games as scheduled!" The majority of this board knows why it doesn't work like that, and most of them didn't need medical degrees to understand it.

TL;DR
Please have some intellectual curiosity and learn some facts before you flood the board with your silly kneejerk reactions.
sarcastic willy wonka GIF

Reaction Score

While the concept of the electronic whistles is great for the world we currently live in, the reality is that they are ineffective. I've worked with several officials who have attempted to use them in fairly empty gyms and they cannot be heard by the players or other officials. Until they improve the technology in those things, you won't see them used with any type of regularity in basketball.

Reaction Score
This is great news.

I've been really hoping for another pause or two. The more games we backload once Bouk and Ajax and Akok are healthy again, the better we will be.

Reaction Score
While the concept of the electronic whistles is great for the world we currently live in, the reality is that they are ineffective. I've worked with several officials who have attempted to use them in fairly empty gyms and they cannot be heard by the players or other officials. Until they improve the technology in those things, you won't see them used with any type of regularity in basketball.
in the case of an epidemic and no fans...it might be ok....you could also have someone watch the refs and trigger an air horn when they raise an arm...to think there is no other solution other than a traditional whistle is really myopic IMO. If we can get a computer the size of house into your cell phone, I'm sure there is a way to get someone's attention without a whistle.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I am appalled at the willingness of people on this board to express strong opinions in the absence of knowledge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.27.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.27.11 PM.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 97
Reaction Score
there have got to be good ones - probably cost more than $13 but worth it at this stage - I would think the NCAA would do anything possible to ensure the tournament goes on - including putting refs in a bubble, but until the bubble begins this seems like reasonable step. The gyms are mostly empty anyway, Gample certainly will be.

Reaction Score
there have got to be good ones - probably cost more than $13 but worth it at this stage - I would think the NCAA would do anything possible to ensure the tournament goes on - including putting refs in a bubble, but until the bubble begins this seems like reasonable step. The gyms are mostly empty anyway, Gample certainly will be.
or give the ref a button that triggers the switch that lights up the backboard...it's not really that hard

Reaction Score
"The Huskies have been placed in a daily testing protocol and a modified quarantine that will prevent them from traveling to New York for a game against St. John's on Sunday. The school said it won't play another game until it is deemed safe by medical professionals and that other postponements are possible."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
[shrugs] It is what we have. I'm grateful for it.
Who’s got next? Almost like pick up
balll. I’m not knocking it, but you get one team playing every third game playing a team that’s played 3 games in 7 days. Hard to evaluate how a team is coming together. Of course I’d rather have this than nothing, but it definitely has been trying to normalize the abnormal.

Reaction Score
It only makes sense to do a big East bubble right before the ncaa tourney. Let’s say, month long bubble (3 weeks for makeup games, 1 week for tourney). Then teams who make it go straight to NCAA bubble. That will (hopefully) ensure all the teams are COVID free going into March madness. It’s a bit of a grind, but these kids are young, they can handle it!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
"The Huskies have been placed in a daily testing protocol and a modified quarantine that will prevent them from traveling to New York for a game against St. John's on Sunday. The school said it won't play another game until it is deemed safe by medical professionals and that other postponements are possible."

We'll get a mixed reaction from this one .

C

Chief00

I wouldn’t make any plans to delay scheduling games based on Bouknight’s possible availability.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t make any plans to delay scheduling games based on Bouknight’s possible availability.
Chief, I dont like this...sounds like you're implying you know something...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Chief, I dont like this...sounds like you're implying you know something...
That's what I was getting at with Hurley's comments about Bouk in today's paper:
As for Bouknight: “I can’t tell you where that is right now. That’s just running its course. We’ll see him when we see him.”
That doesn't sound great to my ears; and reading between the lines I sense that the decision may have more to do with how Bouk and his people think it will affect his draft status, and perhaps Hurley is not involved in those discussions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom