Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And a brand new arena helps too.
"Schaefer Center"?

They do have serious facilities in Austin. I was at a UConn game at The Drum (Erwin Center, the old arena which is being replaced) 2-3 years ago with Philster and DannyKUconn. Danny was chatting with an usher (about why his camera should be allowed inside - heh heh) and mentioned how beautiful the Texas arena was, and how superior to Gampel it was (sad, but true). He was told that they were building a new arena to replace this outdated, antiquated facility. Danny began negotiating for them to give the old arena to UConn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
He is from TX so might want to get closer to home. I bet the facilities are much better at TX. Maybe a nice salary bump. There are lots of variables involved in these decisions. If the transfer rules change then his best players can follow him. Personally I love it. I can't wait to see Kim Mulkey lose her mind on the regular!!!!!
Also he pays NO STATE Income Tax on his salary.

Reaction Score
edit--oops, forgot to include the $500 K car allowance. So make that $1.65 mil really. Is MSU gonna pay close to $2 mil for a WCBB coach? Really?
Walz has a $500K car allowance??? Wow - that'll support a hell of a car! At one point I had a $700/month car allowance, and I thought I was hot s***. What kind of car do you drive for $500K?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Walz has a $500K car allowance??? Wow - that'll support a hell of a car! At one point I had a $700/month car allowance, and I thought I was hot s***. What kind of car do you drive for $500K?

Almost any car he wants :p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Schaefer Center"?

They do have serious facilities in Austin. I was at a UConn game at The Drum (Erwin Center, the old arena which is being replaced) 2-3 years ago with Philster and DannyKUconn. Danny was chatting with an usher (about why his camera should be allowed inside - heh heh) and mentioned how beautiful the Texas arena was, and how superior to Gampel it was (sad, but true). He was told that they were building a new arena to replace this outdated, antiquated facility. Danny began negotiating for them to give the old arena to UConn.

Ive rode by that thing years ago...... it may be nice on the inside.... but the outside is a different story.... similar in exterior plainness as the lesser UT (Knoxville)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate how much Miss. State will pay to hire a very good replacement:

Interesting. If we're willing to throw 2.2 million out like that, I'd imagine we will try to get an elite head coach. Problem is there's only like 7 and they're all doing well right now.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Today must be MSU women's hoops night on the SEC network as there are replays all day and and night.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Interesting. If we're willing to throw 2.2 million out, I'd imagine we will try to get an elite head coach. Problem is there's only like 7 and they're all doing well right now.
All SEC schools have so much money these days thanks to their TV revenue. MSU seems to be committed to paying whatever it takes to keep the women's hoops program on top.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ive rode by that thing years ago...... it may be nice on the inside.... but the outside is a different story.... similar in exterior plainness as the lesser UT (Knoxville)
The Erwin Center (also known as The Drum) is over 40 years old and looks all of it on both the inside and outside.

Reaction Score
Told that Vic Schaefer walks away from a five year contract worth ten million dollars from Mississippi State. Texas required to pay 1.25 million buyout.

Well the $2 million per may be true but I can assure you he did not walk away from a 5 year deal. State law in MS that no employee at a state institution can have a contract that exceeds 4 years.
We're just not gonna agree here. Take a really good coach, give them 5 years at either Tennessee or Mississippi St., which program do you think has more upside long term?

Anyway, I happen to think Louisville is a very good program (much more history of success than MSU). I just googled Walz' salary, it was reported as $1.15 mil in 2018 by the Courier Journal. How much higher than that could MSU go for a women's coach?

edit--oops, forgot to include the $500 K car allowance. So make that $1.65 mil really. Is MSU gonna pay close to $2 mil for a WCBB coach? Really?
Well we just spent over $45 million dollars on the Taj Mahal of college baseball so yea we can pay $2 million for a wbb coach.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were cleaning and organizing the garage and my phone buzzes. Pulled it out of my pocket and my wife saw my expression and screamed “what’s wrong.” I was speechless. Showed her my phone. She remarked, “must be some big $$$$$ for him to leave MS State.”

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A sign that WCBB has hit the big time.... or there is little else to discuss in sports... was listening to Fox Sports Radio top of the hour news... and they mentioned this hire. First time Ive heard a national sports radio program even mention a WCBB hire.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Erwin Center (also known as The Drum) is over 40 years old and looks all of it on both the inside and outside.

Well it was 2000 when I was in Austin....it looked plain jane then (no offense to anyone named jane)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Wonder how many of Vic's players at Mississippi State transfer over to Texas?
I don't anything for sure.

Rickea Jackson did visit Texas officially in Fall 2018 before signing with MSU.

2020 signee, 6'2 PF DeYona Gaston is from Pearland, TX. We've seen high school signees request releases from their LOIs due to head coaching changes; that comes with immediate eligibility at new school.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That sucks big time. I don’t know what he can accomplish at Texas that he couldn’t at MSU.

I hate 2020

Sure he could - make more money.

Reaction Score
That sucks big time. I don’t know what he can accomplish at Texas that he couldn’t at MSU.

I hate 2020

Do you realize how much $ Texas Athletics has?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Big question as another poster mentioned is what happens to Johnnie Harris. Is she coming with? She's a former National Assistant Coach of the Year and has been instrumental to Vic's success at MSU. Most players who chose Mississippi State went there for her/Vic. If she leaves too, I bet a lot of transfers are coming since their roster is so young. Especially if the one time transfer rule gets implemented.
I know that some coaches in similar situation to Vic will negotiate contracts for their assistants before they accept. No coach wants to go to a situation where they make a ton and the AD tells him the assistants get peanuts. They will also agree on miscellaneous staff and recruiting allowances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom