Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’d go after go after Jeff Walz. He’s a much better coach by leaps and bounds.

No offense to Starkville...... but its alot easier to recruit to Louisville than the middle of Mississippi. Plus Staley is ruling the SEC for the next 10-15 years. In the ACC..... McGraw is pushing 70... Wes Moore is in his 60s.... and Jennifer Hoover just turned 50. Better off staying put.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hmm. I'm naive on these things, but Aston is married to a woman, so wouldn't she have been accepting/wouldn't this situation already have existed??
I was referring to Baylor vs. Texas...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Money talks.

Well he flirted with Tennessee before and stayed put. Vols have been down for a while but that's certainly a more attractive job all things considered than MSU I would think.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. But that’s my point. TX is a state university, with all kinds of hiring procedures, none of which were followed in hiring Vic to a job paying 7 figures.
LoL. The Texas AD has a private plane available to him. There was a maximum of 1 phone call that was necessary here. The TX AD calls Vic and says do you want this job? My plane will be in Starkville in a few days to pick you and the family up. How do you like your steaks?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well he flirted with Tennessee before and stayed put. Vols have been down for a while but that's certainly a more attractive job all things considered than MSU I would think.

Yes, and why settle for Mitchell if you can get Walz?

Reaction Score
She was done when she never got an extension did she even get an extension offer at any point

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wonder about that. Certainly the AD was looking to make a change. But I doubt the final decision to let Aston go was made until the AD had the guy he wanted (Vic) lined up to take her place.
Lots of guessing here. My guess is he knew it was time to move on and he at least had a list of coaches he was interested in, in the event his first choice turned him down.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, and why settle for Mitchell if you can get Walz?

Well that's kinda the point I'm trying to make. I don't think they can get Walz. He passed on a more desirable job in the SEC already.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How much is Walz making at Louisville?
I’m looking at the two rosters. MSU was going to have a very good front line returning Cooks becomes eligible, Jackson will get better and Carter and Bibby were solid SEC starters. Of course if Jeff took this job he would have to convince them all to stay but if he adds a few guards from the transfer portal say two former Lady Vols he got a top 4-10 roster.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I!m looking at the two rosters. MSU was going to have a very good front line returning Cooks becomes eligible, Jackson will get better and Carter and Bibby were solid SEC starters. Of course if Jeff took this job he would have to convince them all to stay but if he adds a few guards from the transfer portal say two former Lady Vols he got a top 4-10 roster.

It's true. If Walz is interested, I don't think anyone sane would say no to that. But not sure why he would jump from one program where he has it all to another where he'll probably have it all too.

Reaction Score
That sucks big time. I don’t know what he can accomplish at Texas that he couldn’t at MSU.

I hate 2020
He is from TX so might want to get closer to home. I bet the facilities are much better at TX. Maybe a nice salary bump. There are lots of variables involved in these decisions. If the transfer rules change then his best players can follow him. Personally I love it. I can't wait to see Kim Mulkey lose her mind on the regular!!!!!

Reaction Score
Will be fun to see the battles going forward between Texas and Baylor. I think it will take Vic several years to field a competitive team, but I would think he should be able to start taking recruits away from Baylor.

Any girl who is a lesbian, or questioning her sexuality, will have a great in-state school that won't push her back into the closet.
I bet sooner than you think. Transfer rules changing, his good coaching, and great facilities. It won't tak long. Vic stealing Baylor's recruits. Let me get the popcorn....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is in much better shape than Tennessee was when the job opened up.

We're just not gonna agree here. Take a really good coach, give them 5 years at either Tennessee or Mississippi St., which program do you think has more upside long term?

Anyway, I happen to think Louisville is a very good program (much more history of success than MSU). I just googled Walz' salary, it was reported as $1.15 mil in 2018 by the Courier Journal. How much higher than that could MSU go for a women's coach?

edit--oops, forgot to include the $500 K car allowance. So make that $1.65 mil really. Is MSU gonna pay close to $2 mil for a WCBB coach? Really?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that this deal was done several days ago. Aston is canned 2 days ago and Vic is hired today. I got to believe the TX AD knew he had a deal with Vic before he decided not to renew Aston’s contract.

When you add in the current situation relative to travel and face to face meetings, I seriously doubt if there was much of an interview process involved in the hiring.
Of course he had a deal already done, that’s how snakes operate. And you mean you don’t consider a phone call a long interview process? ;)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
We're just not gonna agree here. Take a really good coach, give them 5 years at either Tennessee or Mississippi St., which program do you think has more upside long term?

Anyway, I happen to think Louisville is a very good program (much more history of success than MSU). I just googled Walz' salary, it was reported as $1.15 mil in 2018 by the Courier Journal. How much higher than that could MSU go for a women's coach?

I don't think the name on the team makes much of a difference personally.

And Vic was going to make 2 million next year. It's not a huge bump, but a slight bump.

The only way I can see Jeff coming is he has a few financial goals which he sees a chance to capitalize on here with a slight increase in cash. But like I said, I don't think Jeff would come here.

Reaction Score
It's true. If Walz is interested, I don't think anyone sane would say no to that. But not sure why he would jump from one program where he has it all to another where he'll probably have it all too.
Vic left Miss St. and the only thing he didn't accomplish there was win a national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom