Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'd try to get Matthew Mitchell to come home.
That would be good. Didn't realize until just the other day that he earns like $1.25 million at Kentucky. But, SEC is very incestuous when it comes to hiring each other's coaches and ADs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow!
I was looking around and trying to identify any program coaches that might jump. Vic was certainly had started building something of his own there at MsSt, but he hadn't invested a whole lot of years there. Coming home to Texas (the state) makes sense - he has the groundwork laid with the HS and AAU programs.

TX made a great hire - good game coach with local connections (something they screwed up when they grabbed GG)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow. Southie hit a homerun here. Now that said, this is a great hire for Texas but for all that Vic did in Starkville, the bottom line is his top accomplishments happened with one player-Teaira McCown. While this years squad showed promise, it was not elite. Can he now harvest that fertile Texas HS hotbed? That has to be proven...It is still an unbelievable hire and first step back to gain a top 10 program status.

Reaction Score
I'll bet you that you will see a TON of transfers coming out of MSSU now that Vic has landed at Texas. Watch Rickeh Jackson, Myah Taylor and Jessica Carter bailing out. (maybe Chloe Bibby and AEH will bail out as well).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow. Southie hit a homerun here. Now that said, this is a great hire for Texas but for all that Vic did in Starkville, the bottom line is his top accomplishments happened with one player-Teaira McCown. While this years squad showed promise, it was not elite. Can he now harvest that fertile Texas HS hotbed? That has to be proven...It is still an unbelievable hire and first step back to gain a top 10 program status.

It was WAY more than just McCowan. Big T came off the bench when they made their first title game run. They lost 4 starters after their 2nd title game appearance and still earned a #1 seed and made an Elite 8. This year they lost Big T and their other 2 most important players and were still a top 10-12 team all season.

His recruiting has picked up considerably too with more success. And even more than that, him and Harris were excellent at locating diamonds in the rough that fit his program. None of McCowan, Vivians or Morgan William were ever expected to become as good as they did. This is a home run hire for Texas even though it'll likely take a few years to get things going IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Live look at Starksville right now. I hate it for them

bulldog sad.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Considering what Vic was able to accomplish at MS St, a school with no real history of success in WBB, and none of the built in advantages of a school like TX, this move could well be a seismic change in WBB.

I had wondered whether or not TX was really committed to WBB. In hiring one of the best coaches in the women’s game, the answer is clearly YES.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Hmm. I'm naive on these things, but Aston is married to a woman, so wouldn't she have been accepting/wouldn't this situation already have existed??
Baylor is the one that's less accepting. I don't know where Mulkey stands but I don't think she stands up.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Big question as another poster mentioned is what happens to Johnnie Harris. Is she coming with? She's a former National Assistant Coach of the Year and has been instrumental to Vic's success at MSU. Most players who chose Mississippi State went there for her/Vic. If she leaves too, I bet a lot of transfers are coming since their roster is so young. Especially if the one time transfer rule gets implemented.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Read this and you'll find out
View attachment 52721

Baylor is a religious school that is well known for not being very accepting of LGBT students. Kim obviously has a checkered past with both Griner and Emily Niemann. Not that Kim's actions were acceptable by any means, but it is worth nothing that the general attitude and overall acceptance of LGBT people in the US has changed tremendously over the past 5-10 years for the better. Considering this and the fact that a large number of openly LGBT women play basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if her stance and treatment of players has changed for the better, like much of society's has.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big question as another poster mentioned is what happens to Johnnie Harris. Is she coming with? She's a former National Assistant Coach of the Year and has been instrumental to Vic's success at MSU. Most players who chose Mississippi State went there for her/Vic. If she leaves too, I bet a lot of transfers are coming since their roster is so young. Especially if the one time transfer rule gets implemented.

I looked up Johnnie Harris first on Wikipedia.... .. had a female picture... but her bio says she played DB in the NFL :confused: Looked her up on the bulldog site for clarification. I wonder if she had options to leave previously for a head coach somewhere?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I looked up Johnnie Harris first on Wikipedia.... .. had a female picture... but her bio says she played DB in the NFL :confused: Looked her up on the bulldog site for clarification. I wonder if she had options to leave previously for a head coach somewhere?

I'm sure she's been considered or at least mentioned as a potential name considering her experience. No idea if she's had any interest in pursuing a head coaching position though. Seems like she has a terrific relationship with Vic, likely makes a great living as an assistant without the pressure of a head coaching gig and is probably stoked at the prospect of developing Charli Collier.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that this deal was done several days ago. Aston is canned 2 days ago and Vic is hired today. I got to believe the TX AD knew he had a deal with Vic before he decided not to renew Aston’s contract.

When you add in the current situation relative to travel and face to face meetings, I seriously doubt if there was much of an interview process involved in the hiring.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Remove Texas from the Old Girls Network. A good hire for Texas. Texas has more talent then Miss St had when Vic Schaefer was hired. It shouldn't take as long for Texas to start competing for B12 Championships. Maybe three years unless Vic gets some immediate help from the Transfer Portal.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Remove Texas from the Old Girls Network. A good hire for Texas. Texas has more talent then Miss St had when Vic Schaefer was hired. It shouldn't take as long for Texas to start competing for B12 Championships. Maybe three years unless Vic gets some immediate help from the Transfer Portal.
If Vic lands Slocum, her and Collier would make a very good 1-2 punch off the bat. Would likely be the #2 team in the conference. Outside of Baylor the Big 12 is just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom