VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 5 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

Reaction Score
Except no poster, including me, ever said that.

Context is important.

I said giving him the hook early is going to send a message to coaches that this place will fire you for two straight .500 non-NCAA seasons, even if you've won a national championship. Given the expectations and the uphill battle of recruiting in the AAC, I don't expect a good coach to succeed him in those circumstances. I'd rather go with KO, assuming he has good players for 2018.

That is far different than what you wrote above.

Plenty of posters, not necessarily you, but they know who they are, have claimed that if we fire KO, we'll never get better than a D-list coach who will confine the program to perpetual mediocrity.

I'd hardly consider it early for an elite program to jettison a coach who will have (in the scenario where we have a bad 2018 on the court and on the recruiting trail) zero conference regular season titles and one NCAA tournament win in 4 years, major deficiencies in player development, recruiting, and retention, and a general inability to maintain a program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't even know what you're trying to say here. If you don't want to hear the truth then that's on you.
There's lots of "truths" out there
And yours is the only real one?

Reaction Score
Plenty of posters, not necessarily you, but they know who they are, have claimed that if we fire KO, we'll never get better than a D-list coach who will confine the program to perpetual mediocrity.

I'd hardly consider it early for an elite program to jettison a coach who will have (in the scenario where we have a bad 2018 on the court and on the recruiting trail) zero conference regular season titles and one NCAA tournament win in 4 years, major deficiencies in player development, recruiting, and retention, and a general inability to maintain a program.

I for one don't believe UConn will never get another good coach. I just think it's too early.

Again, my caveat is recruiting. If he has no one coming in for the following year, things will not improve. Obviously. In that case, you have to make a move.

But otherwise, it is too early.

Reaction Score
I for one don't believe UConn will never get another good coach. I just think it's too early.

Again, my caveat is recruiting. If he has no one coming in for the following year, things will not improve. Obviously. In that case, you have to make a move.

But otherwise, it is too early.

I think we're on the same page.

If the team performs poorly on the court, but we have several stud recruits coming in, KO will get to stick around to coach that class at least a year or two.

If the team performs poorly on the court, and we still can't recruit or there's another exodus of players, then it will be apparent that KO has no control over the program and he's gone.

Reaction Score
We are facing tough negative recruiting more than anything else. The conference hurts perception and a bad season was all anyone needed to cause us trouble recruiting. Winning will fix that.

As far as the demise of the program goes, no way. We pay big money. We can hire a sure thing if we have to. There is no need to think the program is dead if KO fails. We just need a coach that we know can win.
Good post. I can't stand the negative Nancy's who think if we give up on KO we can't attract a good coach. We still have the administrations support and money as well as the tradition for the next coach to build upon. We had given KO plenty of time considering he had no prior head coaching experience before us. He might be better as an NBA coach were you don't have to build a program like you do in college. Still pulling for him but things aren't looking good and this administration has proven they will make the tough choices if needed to move uconn forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If the team performs poorly on the court, but we have several stud recruits coming in, KO will get to stick around to coach that class at least a year or two.

If the team performs poorly on the court, and we still can't recruit or there's another exodus of players, then it will be apparent that KO has no control over the program and he's gone.
I doubt we recruit well if we don't perform well next year. They are connected on building a positive view for the program going forward for KO.

Reaction Score

Upstater and other posters have said it many times, don't really feel like rehashing it again since we've done this dance several other times before but...

Not good.

Reaction Score
Well I have a better idea of what's going on than you do, that's for sure
You are clueless if you think " Tiger Tom" is a better assistant coach then Chillious. He is a D1 coach who can't recruit at Quinnipiac. How did we do in recruiting with a 2 time fail head coach back as the assistant. The fact that you are referring Tom Moore as "Tiger" shows that you are out of the UCONN loop for at least the past few yrs.

Reaction Score
Upstater and other posters have said it many times, don't really feel like rehashing it again since we've done this dance several other times before but...

Not good.
I don't know where you insiders are getting your info but I do know some of you r making it up. I was talking to a UCONN staff at Maxs tavern outside the Hall of fame post BennettI visit. He told me that they were very unsure about Bennetti after the visit because of his questions about playing time. I then saw all this crazy post about the staff thinking he is a lock from the insiders. They then blame the staff for their wrong info. I think some of the sources inside the problem r no longer relevant

Reaction Score
You are clueless if you think " Tiger Tom" is a better assistant coach then Chillious. He is a D1 coach who can't recruit at Quinnipiac. How did we do in recruiting with a 2 time fail head coach back as the assistant. The fact that you are referring Tom Moore as "Tiger" shows that you are out of the UConn loop for at least the past few yrs.
What in the world are you talking about?

Reaction Score
I don't know where you insiders are getting your info but I do know some of you r making it up. I was talking to a UConn staff at Maxs tavern outside the Hall of fame post BennettI visit. He told me that they were very unsure about Bennetti after the visit because of his questions about playing time. I then saw all this crazy post about the staff thinking he is a lock from the insiders. They then blame the staff for their wrong info. I think some of the sources inside the problem r no longer relevant
When did the OG 4 Loko's make a comeback?

Reaction Score
Losing out to lots of P5 schools. Conference and opponents DO matter.

Actually, Samir had an B1G offer on the table too and he didn't choose Maryland for the same reason he didn't choose UConn. Simply, Auburn needed him more.

This conference crutch is getting old. Gonzaga is getting dudes in a terrible conference compared to the AAC. The fact that the AAC is very deep for next year seems to fly over a lot of your heads.

Recruiting is relationships. Period. Its so annoying to hear conference brought up when UConns performance in the AAC has been one of the major criticisms of the conference.

If you want to fixate on something we are causing then call a spade a spade and stop the victim mentality. If UConn performs up to snuff this year there will be more than enough conference support.

Bottom line.

Reaction Score
Well I have a better idea of what's going on than you do, that's for sure

No doubt you have a better idea than him and most others. You can a few others it would seem actually and you can't elaborate right? That's fine and dandy but just because you are in the know doesn't mean that EVERY one of these recruiting losses don't have other factors as to why we lost them rather than what you know. The fact you and others continue to think all of these losses would be only due to what you know is ridiculous. I mean admit once in while we wouldn't have won some of these even if all the stars were aligned.

Once again, you are gloating in the fact you know what you know and allowing this to be the reason every one of your damn posts is negative as Give it a break once in a while and just stay off the thread or something for crying out loud.

Reaction Score
I am more worried that this is the 8 or 9th kid to campus in the past few months that said no. Ollie has surrounded himself with top young recruiting guys and still no one. Our lineup will be worse then last year.

I got blasted in the winter for saying their is real negative mojo around Ollie and players. It has also spread into recruiting the last 9 months. UConn is sinking and fast. 2018 recruiting is major and if Ollie goes 500 again I hear he is out.

Assuming Larrier, Gilbert and Diarra come back healthy our lineup will be better. Thank God the Purvis and Brimah eras are over. Good kids but not very good UConn basketball players. Enoch was not capable of playing at this level. While he showed some offensive skill he was always a step behind the action. Durham looked weak and lost and is a knee injury away from ending his basketball career. MAL never made it to campus so it's tough to miss him. He'd rather go play at the Dunkin Donuts Center for a coach that never won anything so good luck to him. Vance was a very good three point shooter and had a chance to develop his all around game but his defense was atrocious and he thought he was better than he is so he would caused future team chemistry problems. The big (and really only miss that stung) this spring was Wilson. He would've provided much needed help in the frontcourt but we were in it till the end. If we get some surprises in the frontcourt UConn can be a very dangerous team come March because our backcourt is loaded with classic UConn talent. No doubt 2018 is a big recruiting class but we're going after some great players. If we get two or three we're back in business.

Reaction Score
We are facing tough negative recruiting more than anything else. The conference hurts perception and a bad season was all anyone needed to cause us trouble recruiting. Winning will fix that.

As far as the demise of the program goes, no way. We pay big money. We can hire a sure thing if we have to. There is no need to think the program is dead if KO fails. We just need a coach that we know can win.
There is no denying that UConns brand has taken a hit. 5 years ago we were borderline blue blood, now we are a dumpster fire losing recruits to Providence, St. John's, and Texas tech. If KO fails next year, the downward spiral will only accelerate, if that's even possible. We surely will not hire a big name coach. We will be forced to reach on an up and comer or settle for a has been. Either way the path to re-establishing as a regional program seems more clear then regaining our national stature. Let's pull fir KO and the staff in large part because we gave no choice. If he gives, so to does the program.

Reaction Score
I doubt we recruit well if we don't perform well next year. They are connected on building a positive view for the program going forward for KO.

Well the early signing period for 2018 is in November before the season even starts. So the staff needs to stop making excuses and recruit better now if they plan on sticking around another year. A summer commitment from Jalen Carey would be a great start.

Reaction Score
No doubt you have a better idea than him and most others. You can a few others it would seem actually and you can't elaborate right? That's fine and dandy but just because you are in the know doesn't mean that EVERY one of these recruiting losses don't have other factors as to why we lost them rather than what you know. The fact you and others continue to think all of these losses would be only due to what you know is ridiculous. I mean admit once in while we wouldn't have won some of these even if all the stars were aligned.

Once again, you are gloating in the fact you know what you know and allowing this to be the reason every one of your damn posts is negative as Give it a break once in a while and just stay off the thread or something for crying out loud.

I have plenty of positive posts but the vultures don't circle until you challenge their world view. I don't think I've said anything controversial. We need to win games and sign recruits.

Reaction Score
Assuming Larrier, Gilbert and Diarra come back healthy our lineup will be better. Thank God the Purvis and Brimah eras are over. Good kids but not very good UConn basketball players. Enoch was not capable of playing at this level. While he showed some offensive skill he was always a step behind the action. Durham looked weak and lost and is a knee injury away from ending his basketball career. MAL never made it to campus so it's tough to miss him. He'd rather go play at the Dunkin Donuts Center for a coach that never won anything so good luck to him. Vance was a very good three point shooter and had a chance to develop his all around game but his defense was atrocious and he thought he was better than he is so he would caused future team chemistry problems. The big (and really only miss that stung) this spring was Wilson. He would've provided much needed help in the frontcourt but we were in it till the end. If we get some surprises in the frontcourt UConn can be a very dangerous team come March because our backcourt is loaded with classic UConn talent. No doubt 2018 is a big recruiting class but we're going after some great players. If we get two or three we're back in business.

That is a huge if ....Larrier and Gilbert have had multi similar injuries in a short time.

Reaction Score

I think this nails it. Pretty much the same thing that happened to Matta at OSU, and he had a much longer track record of success than KO.

And even then, context would be important. Not all .500 seasons are created equal, especially with a (mostly) young team playing a relatively tough schedule.

The idea that KO doesn't still have a lot of good will from the championship is unfounded, IMO. In order for him to be dismissed, there would have to be a complete famine of hope.

Reaction Score
That is a huge if ....Larrier and Gilbert have had multi similar injuries in a short time.

What happened to Larrier? I thought he had an ACL and that's it.

Reaction Score
You are clueless if you think " Tiger Tom" is a better assistant coach then Chillious. He is a D1 coach who can't recruit at Quinnipiac. How did we do in recruiting with a 2 time fail head coach back as the assistant. The fact that you are referring Tom Moore as "Tiger" shows that you are out of the UConn loop for at least the past few yrs.
Moore has accomplished anything as a head coach or a player for that matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom