VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 12 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

pj

Reaction Score
Well you know I'm in brotato chip! We can do the burger, beer and #DRIVE45 talk! As of today I'm thinking National Championship or bust! It's EXACTLY the type of team that KEA!s the country! #SHOCKTHEWORLD!

I'm thinking it's one year shy -- it's the young team that can win 20-25 games but starts to gel, all the new players learn in the season what they have to work on, they work hard over the summer and have great chemistry the second year. Jalen 2019 would be the experienced star a la Kemba 2011 and Shabazz 2014 if he stays.

I don't think Jalen and Terry stay to make it happen, but I could see a potential championship team in 2019 if they all stayed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well you know I'm in brotato chip! We can do the burger, beer and #DRIVE45 talk! As of today I'm thinking National Championship or bust! It's EXACTLY the type of team that KEA!s the country! #SHOCKTHEWORLD!

OK, even I'm willing to acknowledge that this particular post is delusional, but I love it anyway! It's time to ramp up Calhoun's us against the world mentality.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

"And it ain't over now! Calipari, he's a dead man! Pitino, dead! Williams...dead!"

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I haven't seen even the biggest of the so-called Pollyannas here making bold predictions that we're gonna run the table in the AAC and triumphantly march into the NCAA's as a four seed or better this coming season. I don't think many Husky fans have expectations remotely close to that. Wait and see means just that. It doesn't mean you have delusional expectations.

As always, you're nothing if not consistent, totally ignoring that we won the AAC Tournament and lost to No. 1 seed Kansas in the round of 32 in the NCAAs the year before last, and you again conveniently ignore that our injury situation this past season was a complete dumpster fire. Somehow that is apparently all Ollie's fault. I guess he runs practices too hard and everybody gets injured, I don't know.

I'm still willing to give him a free pass for the past season. 2015 was a disappointment, no question, and that's on him. 2016 was an OK season, and last season was a throwaway. In my view, he's been successful in three out of the four seasons he's had a full complement of his roster players. He's also 7-1 in NCAA games he's coached. Probably like most everybody else, if next season is another dumpster fire due to whatever, barring another round of catastrophic injuries, then I'll be inclined to want Ollie roasted at the stake. Until then, I'm willing to see what happens.
Meet NC or bust

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Please find one example where I have been negative with regard to the players. You won't, because it doesn't exist. My issue is with the coaching staff's performance over the past three seasons. Well coached teams don't fall behind by double digits in the first half regularly, and they certainly don't lose back to back home games against teams like Wagner AND Northeastern. The players deserve better, the program deserves better and we as fans have come to expect far better than what we have seen since Shabazz left. Missing the tournament two of the past three seasons simply is not satisfactory for a once elite program like UConn. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

I honestly enjoyed the Perno years more than the last three. At least those teams usually won the games they were supposed to, and often gave superior opponents a tough time even in defeat.

What a bunch of BS
Yeah Perno teams always won games they were supposed to
Your memory has gone south

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Meet NC or bust

I don't know, I think that might have been somewhat tongue in cheek, but even if it isn't, so what? The word "fan" is a contraction of the word "fanatic." Merriam-Webster definition: "Marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion." (emphasis added)

In other words, it's OK to be delusional if you're a fan. In fact, it should be expected. It's what being a fan is all about. How many UConn fans honestly thought we'd win the NC in 2011 or 2014 when those seasons first began? That shouldn't stop anyone from expressing their belief or hope that it might have happened. The fact that it did during both of those seasons might be viewed by some as nothing short of two miracles only three seasons apart.

We're all UConn fans here, for the most part. Some of us may, from time to time, engage in what you and some others perceive to be irrational and delusional cheerleading, an expression of their intense uncritical devotion. So be it.

Reaction Score
The beauty of the program is it counter punches. UConn is like Holyfield. That premise keeps me going.

This has been the awesome part of being a Husky fan. Every time the program had has their backs against the wall, it seems like they surprise this nation. This upcoming season would be the greatest counter punch yet and I certainly don't expect it but will be rooting for it.

@mauconnfan is one of the classic posters on this board so I hope he doesn't take offense, but at this point, the complaining about the complaining is far more insufferable than the complaining itself. If somehow a thread devolves into actual rational discussion of the immediate future of program, the thread is going to tend pessimistic because that is the rational account of our current state. I don't really see why this is problematic. Its hard to talk basketball and pretend things are peachy. A guy like @Huskybass may be somewhat one-note as of recent but that note reflects the truth and its not his fault for stating how things are.

Reaction Score
This has been the awesome part of being a Husky fan. Every time the program had has their backs against the wall, it seems like they surprise this nation. This upcoming season would be the greatest counter punch yet and I certainly don't expect it but will be rooting for it.

@mauconnfan is one of the classic posters on this board so I hope he doesn't take offense, but at this point, the complaining about the complaining is far more insufferable than the complaining itself. If somehow a thread devolves into actual rational discussion of the immediate future of program, the thread is going to tend pessimistic because that is the rational account of our current state. I don't really see why this is problematic. Its hard to talk basketball and pretend things are peachy. A guy like @Huskybass may be somewhat one-note as of recent but that note reflects the truth and its not his fault for stating how things are.

Yes everyone knows what the state of the program is. Lets beat it to death and to death and then f its mother and then beat it to death again.

Reaction Score
Yes everyone knows what the state of the program is. Lets beat it to death and to death and then f its mother and then beat it to death again.

I'm all for solely talking pizza, beer, politics and NBA on this board, but when the topic turns to UCONN Men's basketball, its hard to avoid the obvious.

Reaction Score
Someone should just start a fire Ollie thread/UConn basketball is over, pin it and be over with it. There is no way a Saimr Doughty visiting thread should be 12 pages long when no one is talking about him.

Reaction Score

No offense taken walker just disagree totally. It's not in the best of states but I promise it's not half as bad as bass consistently portrays it and the Perno comparison should offer you the best sampling of ignorance. And if anyone at all can read I never said things are peachy just elect to move on and think we can get back to where we would expect the program to be rather than beat the crap out of the dead horse. But by all means take the bat walker, keep it going.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I haven't seen even the biggest of the so-called Pollyannas here making bold predictions that we're gonna run the table in the AAC and triumphantly march into the NCAA's as a four seed or better this coming season. I don't think many Husky fans have expectations remotely close to that. Wait and see means just that. It doesn't mean you have delusional expectation

As always, you're nothing if not consistent, totally ignoring that we won the AAC Tournament and lost to No. 1 seed Kansas in the round of 32 in the NCAAs the year before last, and you again conveniently ignore that our injury situation this past season was a complete dumpster fire. Somehow that is apparently all Ollie's fault. I guess he runs practices too hard and everybody gets injured, I don't know.

I'm still willing to give him a free pass for the past season. 2015 was a disappointment, no question, and that's on him. 2016 was an OK season, and last season was a throwaway. In my view, he's been successful in three out of the four seasons he's had a full complement of his roster players. He's also 7-1 in NCAA games he's coached. Probably like most everybody else, if next season is another dumpster fire due to whatever, barring another round of catastrophic injuries, then I'll be inclined to want Ollie roasted at the stake. Until then, I'm willing to see what happens.

Sanity

pj

Reaction Score
Look, here's what we know: (1) The program went downhill, symptoms of which included injuries, slow player development, and departures of some dissatisfied players; (2) UConn took action, replacing the two people with the largest responsibility for the development of the departed players; (3) we have to wait until next season to see if the changes, and the traditional UConn counterpunching culture and will to win, have been sufficient to bring the program back to its accustomed state of winning.

Anything more is speculation. There is equal grounds for hope and skepticism. You cannot confidently predict that (1) will continue indefinitely when UConn has taken aggressive steps to reverse it through (2).

As fans, since we can't directly impact matters, we can at least fulfill our obligation to our neighbors on this message board not to be wet blankets who ruin all fun. That's all I ask.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nice commentary, right on point and I despise naysayers. My ass will be in the seats at 20-5 or 5-20. I go to every home game and many away. I apologized to you and NOT the others. However I was impressed by the credentials of an individual (you know who you are! Yeah ya do ha)! that psychoanalyzed me from a post or two. He has the mods (moderators), he chose the cool shortened version, releasing me for the big pent up RANT that he diagnosed that I needed and felt that was coming. So basically he knows who I am and what I'm all about from a few words. He chose to negate my apology to YOU and chose to stick with what I wanted to put behind us. I don't know whether that apology was received and accepted, but I FELT that you did and that YOU weren't going to continue the insignificant battle. I've read many of your posts and I respect your knowledge and opinions, so I are crow publicly. Not good enough for the psychiatrist. He FEELS. That I'm just a powder keg ready to explode ha! I'm an athlete as well, not just a bobber that never played, yet is an expert. I played basketball at a D2 college in New Hampshire and averaged 21 ppg as a Freshman, thought I was good enough to play for Perno and O'Brien with Corny, Mike McKay and the Morris Mountain, so I transferred home. I wasn't but I played.?m I then played football in the Yankee Conference for Walt Nadzak at Memorial Stadium, so I'm invested. I've coached for 49 years with kids, I've won a National AAU CHAMPIONSHIP, well I coached, the players won! My Dad graduated from Storrs in 1951 after serving in WWII. He was the Alumni President at UConn, so understand, UConn is life, it's so enormous to my existence that when things are this bad, with a horrible conference that we can't get out of, or even win for that matter, players leaving (that weren't NBAplayers anyway), we lose recruit after recruit, have a President that
can't buy a clue, we get blackballed by the bottom feeder of the ACC, the Big East is gone for all intents and purposes, the trip to NYC with my now 91 year old Dad, my Son and theee of the same die hards that NEVER missed ONE trip to the tournament and was more important than any one stretch of any year, the cupboard is bare for 2018, we were rightly mentioned by the top officials and commentators with the Duke!s, Carolina's, Kentucky's of the World, but that train has left the station, FOUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS since 1999, I could go on, but the haters that own this site are already warming up with their pot shots. I flat lined 3 times in 2012, I survived the WIDOWMAKER which some doctors say only 1 in 1000 survive, my 91 year old Dad has Parkinson's and is failing, my wife has Cancer, my 90 year old Mom is really slowing down, has multiple illnesses, my dog, the absolute love of my life is 12 and her back legs are going, my vehicle is a piece of that I got hosed on, my Uncle & Aunr died within hours of wach other this year, my Cousin, a former Green Beret shot himself in the head and killed himself, my Sisters husband and soul mate died of a heart attack at 41 leaving behind my 2 year old niece who found him on the bathroom floor at 2 in the morning, I view each day as a gift. I still have my parents, I lived long enough to see my little girl get married, I'm trying to keep my best friend pup alive at an enormous expense but she has a quality of life still and it's not time, I've worked at the same job for 38 years that is one where there is no guaotgat when I kiss my wife good bye in the morning that I will return home, my Son is a 6'4" 330 lb former D1 football player with a great job and I have an extremely strong faith base. I'm so sorry to provide you know who with a portion of my story and WHO I AM, but let's call this my RANT! I feel a little bad about the length of this thing (not really) everyone has the ability to stop reading. So UConn yes they are my passion, yes I do get frustrated and yes how UConn goes my life goes. UConn is the glue for my Father Son relationship as well. We suffer but then again, I lived not only to see my baby girl get married to the best Son in Law on the planet, but I also got a 2014 in there to boot ha! So to my friend in MA I hope we're good and to my shrink that I have to let down easy and state publicly, YOU'RE FIRED! I look forward to your next reply though. I can finally say that I was diagnosed by THAT GUY! and you are definitively THAT GUY! Ladies & Gentleman that's part of me, thank you and please remain seated, in just too damn tired of long standing O's! I'm waiting for my battery to die and lose all of this. It would be right up there with the best things that ever happened to you guys ha! God bless, go ahead and have some fun at my expense.

Wow! Amazing post. I truly hope things in your life take a turn for the better.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I think that might have been somewhat tongue in cheek, but even if it isn't, so what? The word "fan" is a contraction of the word "fanatic." Merriam-Webster definition: "Marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion." (emphasis added)

In other words, it's OK to be delusional if you're a fan. In fact, it should be expected. It's what being a fan is all about. How many UConn fans honestly thought we'd win the NC in 2011 or 2014 when those seasons first began? That shouldn't stop anyone from expressing their belief or hope that it might have happened. The fact that it did during both of those seasons might be viewed by some as nothing short of two miracles only three seasons apart.

We're all UConn fans here, for the most part. Some of us may, from time to time, engage in what you and some others perceive to be irrational and delusional cheerleading, an expression of their intense uncritical devotion. So be it.

Real good post. Makes sense. I just miss being relevant. It was great to have a team that everyone knew. We were the toughest kid on the block for a couple of decades. I would love to see "us" back to being ranked and in the hunt. Over the past three years we haven't been at that level. I can't even describe how great it would feel to get back there. I'm glad you took the time to make your post, it was valuable.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'll agree on the "close this thread" front. It certainly isn't about Samir Doughty anymore.

Let me try to bridge the two sides, and see if we can come to an uneasy truce. There are those, certainly justified, who looked at last year and on paper saw coming in highly regarded talent, including a sophomore transfer with serious skills and a McDAA point guard and a sharp-shooting small forward from California and a long athletic 4/5 from Tampa and thought this team should kill it from day 1. Hence the pre-season ranking.

Then we found out that having two guys who both need the ball in their hands needs time to develop, and we still had two big guys who hadn't really figured it out yet. And we lost to Northeastern and Wagner. And the injury rush started with that McDAA guard needing shoulder surgery, and oh yeah, the guy from Tampa hadn't played in two years and nearly redshirted, and oh, that small forward transfer with all the talent blew out his ACL, and after all this we end up starting the lightly regarded late signee - who turned out to be much better than anyone expected (but was still a freshman).

So you guys who blame Ollie, you're not wrong. I was really dismayed with how they played in those early losses, with everyone healthy, but I thought that, given an NC in 2014 and that nice end of year run in 2016 I'd be patient. But they weren't ready to come out with intensity, and often found themselves down big. That late December Houston game was an embarrassment. And all the fouling, jeez, play defense with your feet, not your hands. Or don't the coaches teach you that? They could defend pick & roll in '14, why not now?

And after killing it in recruiting the previous year, again on paper, two of those highly-regarded frosh leave, and another recruit rescinds his commitment, and the slow-footed big guy who might start next year bails out too! And now we're stuck on the corner with cup in hand begging for 2017 and 2018 guys to come to a school with four NC's since '99. Can these coaches even?

And you guys who blame the players, you're not wrong either. Two bigs didn't ever become what they should have. Is that all on coaching? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it is in the 7 ft. center's case. Too many times the anguished look I saw on Ollie's face was because he was doing things he'd been coached not to do, particularly on defense. He took terrible fouls. He didn't have an offensive go-to move. That's on him, he knew he needed it. The four-man finally came alive later in the season, and had some nice games, but still was a non-factor at times against the better opponents. I happen to think he had a lot more in him, but the Miller year stunted his development. Still, it should have happened anyway. And that sophomore big had a nice touch, but no lift and slow feet and was a defensive liability.

And you guys who blame the injuries, you're also not wrong . You lose two of your three best players in the first 5 games of the season. Guys you had built your offense and defense around, their skills, their quickness. And that first Houston game, the starting point guard, the only guy left at that position, doesn't play (concussion). And that big guy from Tampa and the slow-footed soph big both lose time from lower leg problems, so you're playing mid season with only 6 scholarship guys. You're stealing minutes from walk-ons, you're hoping that those two senior bigs don't pick up early fouls because you've got no-one on the bench to take their minutes.

You're all correct. It just depends which factor you think is most important. As for next year, I'm in the camp that wants to see the cards played before I fold. I'm not going to discount the incoming talent based on paper ratings, but I'm also not going to anoint them world-beaters based on potential. You can take a team with less paper talent than your opponent and beat them. And you can take a team with more talent than your opposition and lose. (e.g, Calipari, John, UK) A couple quotes from Bum Phillips apply:

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n". Ollie needs this mindset.

"Coaching is not how much you know. It's how much you can get players to do." So, get 'em to do it, coach!

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else." Coaches and players both need this mindset.

"Two kinds of players ain't worth a damn: One never does what he's told, and one who does nothin' but what he's told." Players again. I think we might have had a few of both types last year.
Y'all have a great summer.

Reaction Score
Wow! Amazing post. I truly hope things in your life take a turn for the better.

Let me say something to all of you that have come back with some weigh in. I was absolutely prepared for the worst and figured there was no way that I was escaping without getting either taken to task, or at minimum have to had taken some . What happened instead is what I really should have expected because as I said before and will quote KO again, " WE UCONN" That's all I need to say because Lord knows you guys know I can talk. I just really want to let you know that with everything that I laid out there, most of it personal, i got more than I asked for, more than I needed and more than I deserve. Stepping back, thinking and realizing How much of my life, my guts, my blood, sweat & tears that have been dedicated to the program I should have expected the true blue heartfelt expressions from my people, my brother & sisterhood. I am deeply humbled and wish to make sure that we all spend time pre-gaming together. Let's work on putting that together because it will be so worth it when we succeed in our DRIVE45! Let's Go!!!!! Ps the DRIVE45 is all mine, mine! Any lawyers out there let's take care of that patent please I'm ready to retire

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's not totally fair, but landing some guys with ability and potential like this are how a Gonzaga keeps itself on the forefront.

didn't have to be this guy per se.

But it would've helped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom