Vandy Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Vandy Post Game Thread

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
No mention of her status was mentioned by the broadcast team that I heard.
BTW It was great hearing Eric broadcasting a UConn game again.

I thought so, too. I think he does a great job when working on other networks as not coming across as a UConn homer. Speaks to his professionalism.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Almost everyone not named Oregon has looked ragged. I was not impressed with Maryland, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Notre Dame. The Terps needed a furious rally plus a bucket at the end to edge James Madison last night. We often look smooth early in the season. This is not one of those years. When will we look better, and how much better? I'm watching and hoping.

I would probably throw Baylor into the "impressed" list although the competition level is particularly low.

Reaction Score
In the first two games so far she’s seemed to be disinterested and reluctant to call anyone out. KLS isn’t here to say what needs to be said anymore and Geno has long said he can’t be the leader of the team when they’re out on the court.
True, someone has to replace KLS’s leadership—something she learned the hard way from Geno, though perhaps with a more positive bark.

Reaction Score
Both caused turnovers too (should be a stat), Anna with her height and Aubrey with her defense. Both are coming along nicely.
It is a stat in some box scores. And that is a freshman trait. They are good and will learn.

Reaction Score
Like it or not, this is a rebuilding year where we could be good at the end, or not. My take on the game:

CD--She is what she is, a very good all around point guard who will usually be a complementary piece on offense, not a go to scorer.

KW--She can be a difference maker on both ends, when her jumper isn't falling and the defense can collapse on her drive, she will struggle on offense.

AM--I think she has an outside shot that she hasn't been able to use yet, either because of adjusting to the level of play or nerves. She moves well without the ball and her teammates miss her being wide open at times. She'll eventually be very good.

MW--She's a star now. It's just a matter of how much help she gets.

ONO--Enormous improvement, although she's still a little raw in terms of game feel, she can score, pass, rebound, and block shots. When the refs call tighter games, she will be in foul trouble.

AG--Gabby Williams has walked back through the door. When she stops being a liability on offense, her ability as a defensive stopper will be invaluable.

EA--She has to be the backup center, and I hope she adjusts to the point she can give minutes when ONO is on the bench with fouls.

Reaction Score
Like it or not, this is a rebuilding year where we could be good at the end, or not. My take on the game:

CD--She is what she is, a very good all around point guard who will usually be a complementary piece on offense, not a go to scorer.

KW--She can be a difference maker on both ends, when her jumper isn't falling and the defense can collapse on her drive, she will struggle on offense.

AM--I think she has an outside shot that she hasn't been able to use yet, either because of adjusting to the level of play or nerves. She moves well without the ball and her teammates miss her being wide open at times. She'll eventually be very good.

ONO--Enormous improvement, although she's still a little raw in terms of game feel, she can score, pass, rebound, and block shots. When the refs call tighter games, she will be in foul trouble.

AG--Gabby Williams has walked back through the door. When she stops being a liability on offense, her ability as a defensive stopper will be invaluable.

EA--She has to be the backup center, and I hope she adjusts to the point she can give minutes when ONO is on the bench with fouls.
Yup

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Missed the first half & the first half of the 3rd quarter on the SEC network. Watched the replay on Watch ESPN later in the evening. Live, the part I saw was disappointing, but on tape the team looked a lot better overall when the whole game was viewed. Maybe the later quarters affected fan reaction. I thought ONO was pretty good & changed Vandy's game. I think it's worth remembering that she doesn't have too much experience playing an entire game, so some of the mistakes or misses may be cause she was gassed. Generalizing about CW on the basis of 2 games is unfair. KLS certainly had her share of low scoring games, even her junior and senior years, no? Someone with Pheesa's consistency is very unusual; she was WNBA rookie of the year, for heaven's sake. Overall the team didn't have many FT opportunities so generalizing about poor FT shooting is premature. Maybe the real issue is the team not making enough moves to the basket? I would excuse ONO from this, she played close enough. Despite playing practically the entire game I didn't see her in foul trouble. Last year, she played less and fouled faster. CD is recovering from surgery and landed on her hip in the previous game, as I recall, and I did notice her talking to Anna during an FT, leaderlike. Anna is an excellent passer already, but her handle wasn't too impressive in transition, but again, early days. Megan seems to be taking over nicely, but consistency has been something of a bugaboo in previous years; early days again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Took a while before I deciphered

KW- CW -She can be a difference maker on both ends, when her jumper isn't falling and the defense can collapse on her drive, she will struggle on offense.

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn failed to dominate on the boards against two middling teams. Vanderbilt out rebounded UConn tonight. Again, most of the scoring came from just three players. And with little presence under the boards, outside shooting was poor.

If these relatively thin margins of victory against the likes of Cal and Vanderbilt are any indication, this is going to be a bear of a season.

Yup. Many problems, but one in particular: no 5th starter. Anna has been a disappointment so far. She's obviously in a shooting funk; she also is slow afoot (only one of these is curable). My guess is that Aubrey will grow into the 5th starter before too long, and Anna will come off the bench. More: our top scorers are streaky. Although both Megan and Christyn put up good numbers, they're not consistent over an entire game--yet. Crystal's points are a bonus but also not to be relied on. The real exciting spot is Liv's. She has grown so much in a year that she's hardly recognizable. No longer gawky and confused, she looks smooth and alert. Still great hands, blocking w/out fouling, and her fall-away jumper looks promising ('Pheesa made a career of that shot). She can still use more strength, but at this rate she'll be among the top centers in the country by the end of her career. Things will get better; how much so remains to be seen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The missed shots, including free throws, are partially the result of tired legs. As the season goes on, that should resolve itself.

I cant believe the criticism of Liv. She’s still only a sophomore yet she’s light years ahead of where she was last year and she’s playing a LOT more minutes. She and Meg, with some help from Aubrey, kept the team afloat in the second half.

I can believe the criticism of Liv.

Reaction Score
Thank

Thank you for mentioning "rebuilding year." Many expectations are unreasonable based on this being a Final Four team. In the same sense, comments where growth is needed may simply be factual versus criticism. I personally have little issue with a 4-5 loss season as long as team is ready at end of year. I.e. this means not only skilled and experienced but healthy and rested. You don't play the top 3-4 starters maximum minutes in a "rebuilding year."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
More: our top scorers are streaky. Although both Megan and Christyn put up good numbers, they're not consistent over an entire game--yet.
Sorry, the complaint window is closed for Megan-related issues today. Last night she had, by quarter:
Q1. 7 points
Q2. 4 points
Q3. 9 points
Q4. 5 points.

For a total 25 points. In all four games she’s played, including exhibition, Meg has had 28 & 4, 28 & 8, 21 & 10, and 25 & 8. She has been a model of consistency this year.

Reaction Score
Sorry, the complaint window is closed for Megan-related issues today. Last night she had, by quarter:
Q1. 7 points
Q2. 4 points
Q3. 9 points
Q4. 5 points.

For a total 25 points. In all four games she’s played, including exhibition, Meg has had 28 & 4, 28 & 8, 21 & 10, and 25 & 8. She has been a model of consistency this year.

Through the first 2 games, MW may be playing better this year than Lou and Pheesa last year.

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn failed to dominate on the boards against two middling teams. Vanderbilt out rebounded UConn tonight. Again, most of the scoring came from just three players. And with little presence under the boards, outside shooting was poor.

If these relatively thin margins of victory against the likes of Cal and Vanderbilt are any indication, this is going to be a bear of a season.
And don't forget, Vandy won the fourth quarter. And we were not playing our bench. That suggests a tiredness factor. And it is only game 2.

Reaction Score
We have some beautiful intelligent women sitting on the bench for the whole game. If they show up for practice and get good grades which I assume they do why can't they play? This is not the wnba. These ladies deserve to play..they are on scholarships and if we lose a game or 2 or 5..well the sun will still come up in the east and set in the west....
I could concede the bench should play more to develop them, or to take some pressure off the starters, get them some rest. To the point of losing a game? Pretty extreme, but...maybe.

But I call BS on the bench “deserving” PT because they are beautiful, intelligent, have scholarships, show up for practice and get good grades. IMO they “deserve” PT if they are playing better than the starters. This isn’t the WNBA, but it ain’t middle school either. This is big time ‘play-to-win’ basketball.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And don't forget, Vandy won the fourth quarter. And we were not playing our bench. That suggests a tiredness factor. And it is only game 2.

Bingo!! This sir is a glaring illustration of why the 4 bench players MUST step up for 8-10 minutes a game each. There is no way the starters can play extended minutes all season.

They’ll be exhausted come March. Except in games against top 10 teams, the starters should not have to play more than 32 minutes a game. The reserves should be able to maintain a 15+ point lead.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Bingo!! This sir is a glaring illustration of why the 4 bench players MUST step up for 8-10 minutes a game each. There is no way the starters can play extended minutes all season.

They’ll be exhausted come March. Except in games against top 10 teams, the starters should not have to play more than 32 minutes a game. The reserves should be able to maintain a 15+ point lead.
There is no reason why 18-21 year old players should not be able to play basketball for a full 40 minutes, with breaks for timeouts and between quarters, as well as at halftime. Gabby / Kia / Napheesa / Lou (i.e., Nurse Colliamson) were able to do that game after game. These should not run out of gas and lose shooting accuracy in the fourth quarter, as appeared to happen last night (except to Megan and Crystal, who have been around enough to know).

I think the problem is that the younger players did not realize the level of fitness that is required to do that -- it's completely attainable for their young bodies, but it takes work. Now they understand that, and hopefully they will take their 6 AM gym work more seriously. If not, I'm sure that Geno and the assistant coaches will make practices tough enough that they will get the message.

Reaction Score
Get used to life without Lou and Pheesa. They were even better than we thought. But Megan and Liv played well, Anna passes quickly and gets assists while playing solid defense. Aubrey is tenacious but gives as well as receives. We don’t seem to know how to run a play. Wins against mediocre teams we would have beaten by 30-40 last year.
I have not seen the "solid defense" side of Anna. She seems to have a lot of trouble moving laterally and keeping people in front of her. WIth all the switching UCONN does, quicker players will take her off the dribble, requiring help from backline (aka Olivia, who we need to keep out of foul trouble).

Reaction Score
I have burned and slashed my way through 3-pages of comments and am still at a loss to make sense of 90% of the commentaries. 2-games and new starters, and everyone expects the team to glide into the sunset. Teams that are capable of playing that way are teams that have been together for multiple years. Perhaps Oregon and BU are such teams. After Stewart and Co left, we have been in a 'jerky' era. Last year people were saying the same things and, well, things went well (at least in my eyes). For me, the team is playing as I have expected. The 2 Freshmen-- critical pieces-- are getting the time needed to learn the offense. Those missed shots that people are griping about are trivial. They will make them later. And the standing around is a reflection of 'what now' and not a sign of terrible this and that.
Also, we are seeing (perhaps) the effects of players not being together during the summer. Whilst good for individual players, it cheats group cohesion. (Of course I don't know for sure, because it is possible that the seniors had things going. I remember that during Dolson's era and Stewart's era, summers were organized around group activities)
Sometimes watching the development of players and a team can be an enjoyment. I'm extremely focused on the current Freshmen and left-holders from last year to see how they do. Join me- there's still room for a few.
I hope you're right about this, and it might just be a lack of practice, but if they can't make them in games against lesser opponents, it worries me what we'll see against teams with better defenders.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would probably throw Baylor into the "impressed" list although the competition level is particularly low.
Probably true, though less than Oregon. I didn't list Baylor because of the schedule and possible impact of Cox's injury.

I'm thinking, if Lauren gets healthy, this could be a season of Oregon, Baylor, and everyone else.

Reaction Score
I have not seen the "solid defense" side of Anna. She seems to have a lot of trouble moving laterally and keeping people in front of her. WIth all the switching UCONN does, quicker players will take her off the dribble, requiring help from backline (aka Olivia, who we need to keep out of foul trouble).

My only question is - is she as, "slow of foot" as Ionescu?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom