Vandy Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Vandy Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
There have been very few players who have made an immediate impact during their freshman year. Diana, Stewie, Maya come to mind. The majority of the other young ladies perhaps contributed in a few games but it was not until their next year that they started to show the maturity that comes with being familiar with Geno's system.

Reaction Score
A lot of what happened with UConn losing the lead had to do with immaturity and, anyway, it happens at all levels of sport, even the best. Teams get way ahead and lose their edge. We're just not used to seeing it with our team. They are young. They are hugely talented. They will get better. Their fitness will improve, as well as their mental toughness. Geno knows how this works. They've got a shot. Anything can happen. We've got Geno and they don't.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is no reason why 18-21 year old players should not be able to play basketball for a full 40 minutes, with breaks for timeouts and between quarters, as well as at halftime. Gabby / Kia / Napheesa / Lou (i.e., Nurse Colliamson) were able to do that game after game. These should not run out of gas and lose shooting accuracy in the fourth quarter, as appeared to happen last night (except to Megan and Crystal, who have been around enough to know).

I think the problem is that the younger players did not realize the level of fitness that is required to do that -- it's completely attainable for their young bodies, but it takes work. Now they understand that, and hopefully they will take their 6 AM gym work more seriously. If not, I'm sure that Geno and the assistant coaches will make practices tough enough that they will get the message.

Joe, I agree they SHOULD, but are they? How many posts here suggest that the team looked tired and fatigued in the 4th quarter? Is it still true that in basketball, the legs are the first thing to go? :eek:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Joe, I agree they SHOULD, but are they? How many posts here suggest that the team looked tired and fatigued in the 4th quarter? Is it still true that in basketball, the legs are the first thing to go? :eek:
If the younger players are not fit enough at this time to play 40 intense minutes every game, then it is up to them and the coaches to get that rectified as soon as humanly possible. Sadly, that appears to be the present situation.

Reaction Score
I thought you was always better conditioned than every other team:oops:

Reaction Score
From what I have read, it appears that the players "did their own thing" over the summer. MW worked out, some were doing the 3on3 thing, national teams, etc. Although it sounds great that players are playing very good competition and getting experience, games are no substitute for practices when it comes to conditioning. Many UConn players have said that games are easier than practice and I think I am safe in saying that no one's practices are as hard as Geno's.

Reaction Score
The real exciting spot is Liv's. She has grown so much in a year that she's hardly recognizable. No longer gawky and confused, she looks smooth and alert. Still great hands, blocking w/out fouling, and her fall-away jumper looks promising ('Pheesa made a career of that shot). She can still use more strength, but at this rate she'll be among the top centers in the country by the end of her career. Things will get better; how much so remains to be seen.

Hey huskyd, "excited" is my sentiment concerning Liv's performance and continued progress.
It is easy to see how she is so central to the success of this team. Already with double-doubles and averaging 4 blocks over the two games. The sky is her limit!

Reaction Score
Oh come on now!! this is 2nd game of the season. They should have had all this ironed out now. to be this sloppy at this time of year is unacceptable. If they don't win the next game by 50 there is no sense to finish the season!!

Reaction Score
Crystal coming back from surgery and the only true point guard seems a 4th Q issue. Once UConn leads at end of game, Geno typically wants to slow game down and the opposition wants to speed up. More work for Crystal on offense AND defense. Not worried today since she is performing well but concerned for end of year. Not a fitness issue-Crystal has been injured each year at UConn and the added workload will catch up.

Reaction Score
There will come a time this season when CD will be unavailable..not exactly a news flash....so then what?

Reaction Score
I honestly think this is ploy to get his team ready for the LV game. He knows this is not his strongest team, especially w/o Evina. Geno knows how to motivate his own team.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There will come a time this season when CD will be unavailable..not exactly a news flash....so then what?
Then we are doomed, just like we were when the Big 3 graduated. Head bang :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I honestly think this is ploy to get his team ready for the LV game. He knows this is not his strongest team, especially w/o Evina. Geno knows how to motivate his own team.

I just wish he had kept his focus on the NCAA and not made so many assumptions based on what a 20yo told him. It's not a good look. we can ALL agree that the NCAA needs a solid rule on transfers. To me, it should be simple. You sit out a year if you leave a school. Period. Both sides made a commitment and both sides know that coaches can be fired or resign at any time. As in life, there are no guarantees. Serious medical issues might be the only exception. This transfer portal nonsense and waivers being granted or denied w/o explanation has led to speculation and drama.
Weren't you leaving?
To me, transferring should be simple. Make the rules exactly like they are for Softball. Period.
Bye.

Reaction Score
2010-11

Fr. Dolson
Fr. Hartley
So. Faris
Jr. Hayes
Sr. Moore
thanks for that info. of course, that senior Moore was not bad. and the other starters are among the best to have played at UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I just wish he had kept his focus on the NCAA and not made so many assumptions based on what a 20yo told him. It's not a good look. we can ALL agree that the NCAA needs a solid rule on transfers. To me, it should be simple. You sit out a year if you leave a school. Period. Both sides made a commitment and both sides know that coaches can be fired or resign at any time. As in life, there are no guarantees. Serious medical issues might be the only exception. This transfer portal nonsense and waivers being granted or denied w/o explanation has led to speculation and drama.
Of course! Geno is just peddling falsehoods as a devious ploy to gain competitive advantage. Mystery solved. We can all go home now.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The fact that some folks can come here and read the comments of others and get so upset to the point of becoming "pissed off" to me is laughable. This is a forum open to all that allows WCBB fans to voice their respective individual thoughts and opinions. I've been an active poster here for a few years. I read comments that I don't agree with, we all have.

I've never read a post or comment that made me so emotional that I became "pissed off." I have never been that emotionally attached to the thoughts or comments of others to allow myself to be in THAT position. I shrug it off, and move on to the next comment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That opinion does not necessarily have to agree with ours collectively, or yours individually. People are going to come here and voice their opinion. You can like, take it or leave it. The choice is yours. This an ADULT forum. There are no children here.

We all have our own points of view. We have posters here from various backgrounds and cultures. Ages 16 to 100+, rich and poor, with an education that ranges from high school grad to PHD. Ultra conservative to ultra liberal. We have posters that have played, coached and refereed this game at various levels.

We will never all agree on any topic or occurrence involving WCBB. How many times have we witnessed a poster get emotionally upset if another poster vehemently disagrees with one of their posts and takes it personal? It happens. We're not going to agree on every topic. If you think you can post something here and it not be challenged, you're on the wrong board. Be very careful what you write, and be ready to defend it. We have regular posters here from certain programs we (as a fan base) openly don't like. The open dislike is mutual.

I've posted over 7900 comments. I received some "push back" on several of them. Some of them were UConn fans. Because we have fans here from different fan bases, and different parts of the country with different points of view, different backgrounds, different levels of education and perception, there will be some disagreements from time to time. The great majority of us are mature intelligent and well grounded people.
We realize and understand that others may not always agree or appreciate our points of view. But THIS is a UConn Women's Basketball Forum, and we back our coach and our players 1000%. Always have, always will.

If you can't come here and read other's comments without becoming "pissed off", then perhaps this is not the forum for you. People come here and post serious and heartfelt comments you may not like. But as the chairman of the board, Frank Sinatra said: "That's life".

WCBB fans of all programs are welcome here, and encouraged to voice their thoughts and opinions as long as they abide by the rules set forth in HuskyNan's "Boneyard rules" of posting, and do it tastefully and respectfully, remembering that this is first and foremost a UConn Women's Basketball chatroom.

Pardon my rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I read some comments over the last couple of days regarding transfers that to me were alarming. Some I agreed with and could see their point, others not at all. I feel better now. :cool:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The fact that some folks can come here and read the comments of others and get so upset to the point of becoming "pissed off" to me is laughable. This is a forum open to all that allows WCBB fans to voice their respective individual thoughts and opinions. I've been an active poster here for a few years. I read comments that I don't agree with, we all have.

I've never read a post or comment that made me so emotional that I became "pissed off." I have never been that emotionally attached to the thoughts or comments of others to allow myself to be in THAT position. I shrug it off, and move on to the next comment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That opinion does not necessarily have to agree with ours collectively, or yours individually. People are going to come here and voice their opinion. You can like, take it or leave it. The choice is yours. This an ADULT forum. There are no children here.

We all have our own points of view. We have posters here from various backgrounds and cultures. Ages 16 to 100+, rich and poor, with an education that ranges from high school grad to PHD. Ultra conservative to ultra liberal. We have posters that have played, coached and refereed this game at various levels.

We will never all agree on any topic or occurrence involving WCBB. How many times have we witnessed a poster get emotionally upset if another poster vehemently disagrees with one of their posts and takes it personal? It happens. We're not going to agree on every topic. If you think you can post something here and it not be challenged, you're on the wrong board. Be very careful what you write, and be ready to defend it. We have regular posters here from certain programs we (as a fan base) openly don't like. The open dislike is mutual.

I've posted over 7900 comments. I received some "push back" on several of them. Some of them were UConn fans. Because we have fans here from different fan bases, and different parts of the country with different points of view, different backgrounds, different levels of education and perception, there will be some disagreements from time to time. The great majority of us are mature intelligent and well grounded people.
We realize and understand that others may not always agree or appreciate our points of view. But THIS is a UConn Women's Basketball Forum, and we back our coach and our players 1000%. Always have, always will.

If you can't come here and read other's comments without becoming "pissed off", then perhaps this is not the forum for you. People come here and post serious and heartfelt comments you may not like. But as the chairman of the board, Frank Sinatra said: "That's life".

WCBB fans of all programs are welcome here, and encouraged to voice their thoughts and opinions as long as they abide by the rules set forth in HuskyNan's "Boneyard rules" of posting, and do it tastefully and respectfully, remembering that this is first and foremost a UConn Women's Basketball chatroom.

Pardon my rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I read some comments over the last couple of days regarding transfers that to me were alarming. Some I agreed with and could see their point, others not at all. I feel better now. :cool:
With all due respect, Carnac, there’s no wrong way to be a fan. Some have a more cerebral approach while others are more passionate. Neither is better than the other, just different. I don’t want to run anyone off because their mode of fandom is different from mine.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Why be rude? It's a basketball forum. I have said nothing personal to you or anyone else. Just saying.
I apologize. In another thread you posted something to the effect that it might be your last post and I mistakenly thought that it was this thread. I once posted that I was going to stop posting and after I posted a couple more comments, someone called me out on it. So I thought (erroneously) that turnabout was fair play.

BTW I was serious about having WBB transfer rules be the same as the NCAA has for Softball. In fact in Softball a player can participate in fall practice and then transfer and play for their new team in the spring.
I don't think transferring during the season should allow them to play for the new team in that season in WBB.

Carnac

Reaction Score
With all due respect, Carnac, there’s no wrong way to be a fan. Some have a more cerebral approach while others are more passionate. Neither is better than the other, just different. I don’t want to run anyone off because their mode of fandom is different from mine.

I understand your viewpoint. I had an itch that I had to scratch. I thought I did it in a respectful and tasteful manner without directing it at an individual or a particular group of posters. It was meant to be all inclusive.

Reaction Score

damn that's a great post. should be shared on every forum in the land.

Reaction Score
Over the past 4 years Uconn has lost 7 of the best players in their history. Stewie. Moriah, Tuck, Kia, Gabby, Collier, and Lou. Right now no-one on this team reminds me of any of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom