Vandy Post Game Thread | The Boneyard

Vandy Post Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the Vandy game:
  • Aubrey has really quick hands. She’s an absolute pest on defense. Now, if she can only figure out what she’s doing on offense.
  • Anna made a number of beautiful passes today. Now if she can just find her shot, it will make UConn a much tougher team to defend.
  • Was I the only one who was hoping to see Liv dunk the ball when she got that steal and breakaway in the first half?
  • I’ve watched a number of WBB games this year and in just about all of them, the players seem to be setting up behind the MBB 3-pt line. Geno needs to devote an entire practice to shooting from the WBB 3-pt line.
  • After two games, it’s pretty clear UConn misses Pheesa & Lou, who steadied the Huskies on both ends of the court. At present the Huskies are still searching for an identity. This team is going to be a work in progress for a while.

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn failed to dominate on the boards against two middling teams. Vanderbilt out rebounded UConn tonight. Again, most of the scoring came from just three players. And with little presence under the boards, outside shooting was poor.

If these relatively thin margins of victory against the likes of Cal and Vanderbilt are any indication, this is going to be a bear of a season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Meg and Liv were the only 2 that played at a level needed for us to excel. CW cannot disappear like she did in 2nd half. I think Liv was really good on the defensive end beyond the blocks. She moved her feet well and was getting involved all over the court.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
  • Aubrey has really quick hands. She’s an absolute pest on defense. Now, if she can only figure out what she’s doing on offense.
  • Anna made a number of beautiful passes today. Now if she can just find her shot, it will make UConn a much tougher team to defend.
  • Was I the only one who was hoping to see Liv dunk the ball when she got that steal and breakaway in the first half?
  • I’ve watched a number of WBB games this year and in just about all of them, the players seem to be setting up behind the MBB 3-pt line. Geno needs to devote an entire practice to shooting from the WBB 3-pt line.
  • After two games, it’s pretty clear UConn misses Pheesa & Lou, who steadied the Huskies on both ends of the court. At present the Huskies are still searching for an identity. This team is going to be a work in progress for a while.
Very hard game to watch UCONN is not looking good. MUCH work needed on making layups and quite bit more !

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn failed to dominate on the boards against two middling teams. Vanderbilt out rebounded UConn tonight. Again, most of the scoring came from just three players. And with little presence under the boards, outside shooting was poor.

If these relatively thin margins of victory against the likes of Cal and Vanderbilt are any indication, this is going to be a bear of a season.
Yea--Geno just told the NCAA he is folding up the Uconn tent until next year---really really terrible--OH, they WON?? Wait, I'll change this posting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Meg and Liv were the only 2 that played at a level needed for us to excel. I think Liv was really good on the defensive end beyond the blocks. She moved her feet well and was getting involved all over the court.
Agree, but Liv needs to finish better around the basket.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm speechless. Just terrible. Cal was picked 10th in the Pac 12. Vandy picked dead last. Vandy won 7 games TOTAL last season. Sure they got a few good freshmen, but this was flat out awful. No way to sugar coat it.

Megan has been terrific. Olivia decent. Christyn meh. Crystal? Wow. Players afraid to shoot. The team looks scared and unsure. Time to put the big girl pants on. 4 of our starters are NOT freshmen and all were ranked #5 or higher coming out of high school. Surprising and disappointing.

Other freshmen lighting it up all over the country. Have ours been so broken down that they don't remember how to play the game? Aubrey can't seem to make a layup. Anna is 0-UCONN. Some terrific passes i'll give her that. And Aubrey will be a beast on defense.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Accurate and succinct.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I was shocked when Liv was out in 4th quarter and her replacement looked like a high school player twice on defense. Sorry, really hate saying stuff like this, but she is a grad transfer. I would expect a better effort from her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree, but Liv needs to finish better around the basket.

I think she made strides in that area from game 1. She had one really great reverse pivot layup with contact in Q3 . Also gave great effort on the boards once she realized she was not going to foul out

Reaction Score
Actually saw a bit of defense today. Anna can pass but jury is still out on scoring. Aubrey has great quickness, good defense and soon will shoot when open. Crystal a tad disappointing. Thank you Olivia, Megan and Christyn Walker;) Hey she's a color analyst

Reaction Score
Get used to life without Lou and Pheesa. They were even better than we thought. But Megan and Liv played well, Anna passes quickly and gets assists while playing solid defense. Aubrey is tenacious but gives as well as receives. We don’t seem to know how to run a play. Wins against mediocre teams we would have beaten by 30-40 last year.

Reaction Score
The offense just seems off because we lack a 5th viable option on the floor. Williams looked great in the first half but completely disappeared in the second. She and Walker can’t go quiet for stretches. We are going to depend on them a lot.

A player like Makurat could be a huge asset if she can (and likely will) be able to knock down 3 shots a game. She already has great passing skills and doesn’t look overly turnover prone.

Reaction Score
Way, way too many 3's. causes bad habits. No one is crashing the boards. CD needs to attack more and distribute. It looks like this team has no PG in half-court sets.

Reaction Score
The lack of power under the basket appears to be affecting scoring because missed three's end up in the defense's hands, instead of being put back up for layups off offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Get used to life without Lou and Pheesa. They were even better than we thought. But Megan and Liv played well, Anna passes quickly and gets assists while playing solid defense. Aubrey is tenacious but gives as well as receives. We don’t seem to know how to run a play. Wins against mediocre teams we would have beaten by 30-40 last year.

In years past we always had a spark plug. It was Willians. Or it was Pheesa. Or Lou. This team doesn't seem to have that player that sparks the big run that breaks the spirit of the opposing team. Twice this season, middling teams have hung around and made runs at UConn late in the game, keeping our benchwarmers on the bench, and our starters to remain in the game for most of the minutes. That will take its toll over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
The offense just seems off because we lack a 5th viable option on the floor. Williams looked great in the first half but completely disappeared in the second. She and Walker can’t go quiet for stretches. We are going to depend on them a lot.

A player like Makurat could be a huge asset if she can (and likely will) be able to knock down 3 shots a game. She already has great passing skills and doesn’t look overly turnover prone.

She did lead (?) in assists, but didn't add to scoring much.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We were out rebounded by a team that is clearly not top rung in terms of front court talent.

Outside shooting was weak.

Most of the scoring by the same three players.

Troubling start to the season.
Thank you for that analysis Mr. Sunshine...….:confused:

Reaction Score
By the points---Last first--Phee and KLS, love em, they are gone can no longer put on a UConn Uniform. Enough!
Anna. The team played better with her on the floor. Great rebounding and assists. I agree she needs to(but will) find her shot.
Griffin--Quick hands and some smart play as well as rebounding. As we thought, she's a keeper.
ONO--I don't care if she never ever dunks. If only she'd not foul at the wrong time. Good scoring from her.
No disrespect @oldude: My hang up--when they are gone they are gone and to ME it disrespects those on the floor working their tails off to win games for me to watch.
Uconn had vandy by 27 ---ended with 13: and Williams had 13 (I think at the end of the first half ) and ended with 13.
I

Reaction Score
Who was it that said Aubrey was going to be our leading scorer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom