Vandy Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vandy Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I'm speechless. Just terrible. Cal was picked 10th in the Pac 12. Vandy picked dead last. Vandy won 7 games TOTAL last season. Sure they got a few good freshmen, but this was flat out awful. No way to sugar coat it.

Megan has been terrific. Olivia decent. Christyn meh. Crystal? Wow. Players afraid to shoot. The team looks scared and unsure. Time to put the big girl pants on. 4 of our starters are NOT freshmen and all were ranked #5 or higher coming out of high school. Surprising and disappointing.

Other freshmen lighting it up all over the country. Have ours been so broken down that they don't remember how to play the game?
I am not surprised at all by this. I fully expected this to be a normal season like most teams have to go through where be have to battle in every game to win. We UConn fans got spoiled living in the “abnormal” fantasy land that we lived for the last 20 years. We now live in the real world like every other team in the Country. This will be an entertaining season, that’s for sure. Just compete and try to get better every day.

Reaction Score
We were out rebounded by a team that is clearly not top rung in terms of front court talent.

Outside shooting was weak.

Most of the scoring by the same three players.

Troubling start to the season.
Uconn ? Top rung right now?? Reality is hell but it's real. Uconn has had bad starts in the past 35 or so years and landed on the FF floor. Too early or too late to send the kids back to where they came from --so I think we should keep them and enjoy the ride.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
First time I saw the team (2nd half)....there were some good things and quite a bit of the other

-Olivia displayed some hands of stone, some lack of focus and missed some chippies in the 2nd half...fatigue? but potential...obvious
-Makurat made some nice plays and looked like she belongs....it would be good if she could score some...I think she will.
-Williams disappears on O sometimes like the 4th quarter...I understand she was better in the first half.
-Griffin seems like she's figuring it out, will be ok or better.
-Meg carried the O again...good game.

Seems like a lot of folks didn't get in...why?

Geno's got a big job in front of him to make this collection look like a vintage UConn team
Be interesting season to watch and see if he does.

OT: Geno has to lose some weight...I hope that comment is not banned

Reaction Score
There was lots of sloppiness of various forms. But here's a place to start:

Make layups.

Make free throws.
When kids try too hard they miss 2 things and do one thing---the miss ft's and layups and foul.
Top notch players know how to play. It will come, or they will sit.

Reaction Score
UConn is normally one of the best open-shot making teams out there, but it seems like the bug they caught early last season where they struggled shooting is back again. Hope it’s just early season jitters and that they’ll get into the swing of things soon.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We were up by 24 and got there with good defense and improved ball movement. Then I agree we played terribly for most of the 4Q. Part of that is that we did not handle the press but that is correctable

Reaction Score
Game analysis:

Megan was awesome as to now be the norm. I hope she doesn’t rely on too many threes this year, her first step is awesome and I much prefer her going to the basket looking for contact. Her jab step/jumpshot move is lethal now considering she’s shown the improvement to get to the rim & finish.

Liv played great as well. Very active hands throughout the game I love having her fill the stat sheet. She’s still swatting at shots even though she had a couple of huge blocks. I hope the swatting down eases up with maturity. She needs to finish her layups though.

Christyn was a bit disappointing. When she doesn’t score she seems to fade into the game and we just can’t have that. This reminds me of when Geno challenged KML & Lou to become more than just scorers while out on the floor. Crystal played okay, I’m assuming hometown nerves. Ania really needs to look for her shot.Too often she passed up shots (even from drives to the basket she made) to kick out to the three point shooter. JUST SHOOT THE BALL! It seems Geno pulled her out for that as well. Aubrey is going to be our starter sooner than later. I think she just needs a little more time to slow down, she’s moving too fast like most Frosh do. Ev was a bit disappointing today. I’d love to say nerves again but she’s had plenty of NCAA experience by now.

Boy oh boy do I wish they granted Evina’s transfer. She’s gonna be a stud next year.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I missed the 1st half. Was Irwin sick or injured? Not listed in the box scores. Re FTs: 57% because ONO was 0-2?Others were 2-2, 2-3, Too small a sample to say there is an overall FT problem?

Reaction Score
We were up by 24 and got there with good defense and improved ball movement. Then I agree we played terribly for most of the 4Q. Part of that is that we did not handle the press but that is correctable

or maybe they just ran out of gas

Reaction Score
I missed the 1st half. Was Irwin sick or injured? Not listed in the box scores. Re FTs: 57% because ONO was 0-2?Others were 2-2, 2-3, Too small a sample to say there is an overall FT problem?
Can someone post box scores?

Reaction Score

From the looks of it Geno isn’t playing Kyla against more athletic teams. This Vandy squad was much more athletic as well as physical than Cal. I doubt we’ll see her in these types, she’ll play in the Temple game I’m sure. And yes, free throws will be an issue. This stems from the preseason

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I noticed Adebayo got a few minutes to spell ONO, but got the hook quickly. Was wondering why she didn't have to wait a year but turns out she's a grad transfer.
Box scores: ESPN site

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No mention of her status was mentioned by the broadcast team that I heard.
BTW It was great hearing Eric broadcasting a UConn game again.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
UConn is normally one of the best open-shot making teams out there, but it seems like the bug they caught early last season where they struggled shooting is back again. Hope it’s just early season jitters and that they’ll get into the swing of things soon.
I am hoping that, as other BYers have said, once our freshmen knock down their first couple of outside shots, in the same game, they will continue to do it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People seem to have forgotten Lou and Pheesa their freshman year - Lou couldn't make a shot to save her life and Pheesa refused to take a shot. Took a while for either of them to remember how to play basketball. Same is happening to our newbies - takes time to stop thinking and start playing in a new system. Meanwhile ...

Christyn and Megan are playing really well, Olivia is clearly improved and Crystal is trying to figure out who can score where while chipping in as always.

Yeah, it isn't going to be pretty for a while. But did anyone really believe replacing Lou and Pheesa was going to be seamless? There is no one on this team who has ever won a championship or even played in one for the first time in a very long time!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can someone post box scores?
0DA9236D-014E-4B42-949F-434344A08C56.png

Centerstream

Reaction Score
People seem to have forgotten Lou and Pheesa their freshman year - Lou couldn't make a shot to save her life and Pheesa refused to take a shot. Took a while for either of them to remember how to play basketball. Same is happening to our newbies - takes time to stop thinking and start playing in a new system. Meanwhile ...

Christyn and Megan are playing really well, Olivia is clearly improved and Crystal is trying to figure out who can score where while chipping in as always.

Yeah, it isn't going to be pretty for a while. But did anyone really believe replacing Lou and Pheesa was going to be seamless? There is no one on this team who has ever won a championship or even played in one for the first time in a very long time!
Um, in their freshman season, Lou and Pheesa had 3 AAs playing alongside them. Absolutely no pressure (other than Geno) was on them in the beginning of the season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I said before the season that Walker would be a beast, and I'm not disappointed.

As Milford said, too many missed bunnies. I think Chrystin and Olivia both missed two, and Crystal one. I'm hopeful that'll change as the season progresses.

Anna passed up some really good shots. I particularly remember her being open at the foul line with nobody within four feet or so, and she forced a pass that resulted in an awkward shot. She needs to take those shots.

They're young, they'll gel.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

The team is one senior, one junior, two sophomores, and two freshmen playing the majority of minutes. Still a young team.

Reaction Score
There are two upperclassmen in the first 6 tonight. Griffin looks like a great athlete and will develop. Makuart will develop as well.

HuskyNan beat me to it by 1 minute. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First time I saw the team (2nd half)....there were some good things and quite a bit of the other

-Olivia displayed some hands of stone, some lack of focus and missed some chippies in the 2nd half...fatigue? but potential...obvious
-Makurat made some nice plays and looked like she belongs....it would be good if she could score some...I think she will.
-Williams disappears on O sometimes like the 4th quarter...I understand she was better in the first half.
-Griffin seems like she's figuring it out, will be ok or better.
-Meg carried the O again...good game.

Seems like a lot of folks didn't get in...why?

Geno's got a big job in front of him to make this collection look like a vintage UConn team
Be interesting season to watch and see if he does.

Geno has to lose some weight...I hope that comment is not banned
UConn played 7 players. 6 players will probably be the normal rotation since the games will most likely be close this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom