Vandy Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vandy Post Game Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The missed shots, including free throws, are partially the result of tired legs. As the season goes on, that should resolve itself.

I cant believe the criticism of Liv. She’s still only a sophomore yet she’s light years ahead of where she was last year and she’s playing a LOT more minutes. She and Meg, with some help from Aubrey, kept the team afloat in the second half.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Any team with the level of talent UConn's starters have, should be able to excel regardless of who the fifth starter is in scoring and running the team. Also, Dangerfield has to become a consistent double figure scorer. UConn won't go far if she does not up her level of play.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am left wondering whether there is a fitness issue with this UConn team. That would be the first time in a long time when that is the case, if it is. But we now have seen two bad 4th quarters, and tonight the problem began late in the 3rd quarter.

This could relate to the absence of senior leadership with the presence and influence of KLS and Napheesa last year, and Gabby/Kia in the previous year. I wonder if Crystal and Megan have as strong an imprint on the younger players as those players did.

If that is the problem, or a significant part of it, then the assistant coaches in particular need to step up and solve it as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
Anna has slow feet on defense, everything else will come but that is a huge problem. Aubrey plays totally out of control, needs to slow down. Forces everything, she will. The biggest concern for me is Crystal doesn’t seem to play with any senior urgency. I’m hoping the injury has her easing into the season before she goes nuts as I expect her too. If not it will be a looooong ugly season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't know. I thought we looked pretty good. Remember; it's early. They're still working out the kinks.
I thought that the team looked much improved from Sunday for the first two and a half quarters, and then looked just bad. I suspect that fitness is an issue, as I stated on the other thread.

Reaction Score
this team looks pretty much as I expected................Walker is now the player we thought she was going to be.................Christyn is still getting used to the idea that she really needs to shoot................... a lot...................Crystal still looks rusty to me coming back from surgery and less then normal practice time and ONO is clearly making strides at both ends of the court and should be a major contributor as the season progresses especially if she can make her layups...............Anna has yet to find her footing but I suspect that once she hits a few jump shots she will be a far more confident player then she is now and Griiffin is clearly supper athletic and is already causing havoc on the defensive end but needs to relax just a bit on offense..................I think the days of 30-40 point win differentials are mostly over for this season at least.............I'll be happy with wins and just move on to the next game......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anna has slow feet on defense, everything else will come but that is a huge problem. Aubrey plays totally out of control, needs to slow down. Forces everything, she will. The biggest concern for me is Crystal doesn’t seem to play with any senior urgency. I’m hoping the injury has her easing into the season before she goes nuts as I expect her too. If not it will be a looooong ugly season.
I think Crystal, who was rehabbing from surgery most of the summer, is not at 100% yet. She’ll play her way back into shape I expect.

Reaction Score

I think she has always been like that, too late to change now.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe how many people didn’t see these inconsistent, up and down results coming. Then again, maybe I can. And as far as any criticism of ONO is concerned, please stop. Without her anchoring the defense they would’ve been decimated inside. Vandy would’ve run a layup line. This would’ve been a loss.

Reaction Score
When they had a 26 point lead, they needed to give Molly and Kyla some minutes. This would help give some rest to the starters, so they would have some energy to finish. Also, it would give Molly and Kyla some more experience on keeping a lead. I know we can't depend on them to become something they're not, but as seniors, they should have enough experience to provide 5-10 minutes a game and not expect them to do much but hold the fort.

Reaction Score
When they had a 26 point lead, they needed to give Molly and Kyla some minutes. This would help give some rest to the starters, so they would have some energy to finish. Also, it would give Molly and Kyla some more experience on keeping a lead. I know we can't depend on them to become something they're not, but as seniors, they should have enough experience to provide 5-10 minutes a game and not expect them to do much but hold the fort.

If they don't, this team might be exhausted by end of December.

Reaction Score
I'm speechless. Just terrible. Cal was picked 10th in the Pac 12. Vandy picked dead last. Vandy won 7 games TOTAL last season. Sure they got a few good freshmen, but this was flat out awful. No way to sugar coat it.

Megan has been terrific. Olivia decent. Christyn meh. Crystal? Wow. Players afraid to shoot. The team looks scared and unsure. Time to put the big girl pants on. 4 of our starters are NOT freshmen and all were ranked #5 or higher coming out of high school. Surprising and disappointing.

Other freshmen lighting it up all over the country. Have ours been so broken down that they don't remember how to play the game? Aubrey can't seem to make a layup. Anna is 0-UCONN. Some terrific passes i'll give her that. And Aubrey will be a beast on defense.

You make some good points, but it would be more terrible, and, just guessing here, you would be even more speechless if UConn beat Fordham by 5, and lost to Tennessee by 11 as a perennial power in the NCAA Women’s game. UConn will improve as the chemistry of the squad improves, has enough talent to be one of the top 6-8 teams in the country, and has a coach who will maximize said talent. This won’t be a dominating team that steamrolls through the season, but that makes the journey even more interesting. As of now I don’t think anyone can predict what the finished product will look like in March, and I would include the head coach as a member of that club. JMO

Reaction Score
A few observations from the game.
1. Liv is playing much better and thank god for her. I mean our perimeter defense is really poor right now. She missed a couple of shots I think she should make which to me gets her to that 15-16 point range and double digit rebounds 3-5 blocks a game
2. Megan is playing so smooth, besides one air ball her game has gotten so much better and her rebounding and movement too. I’m impressed, unfortunately,
3. I’m not impressed at all with CD and I’m starting to worry a little. If she’s getting over surgery I think it’s affecting her mentally too. She just doesn’t get the team playing at a consistent level. Every time UCONN goes up big and the team scores a bucket or two I expect crystal to get the team back on track instead she’s shooting long threes or turning ball over or stops dribble for no reason. We need her to be a better decision maker and she needs to get to foul line if she’s not hitting shots, which means she needs to drive more and have so better moves.
4. CWis good but there’s too many times there’s a lapse and then when shots aren’t falling she misses easy layups. I didn’t think she typically misses layups but this year she’s missed a few. If shots aren’tfalling drive to rim or pull up closer to hoop since she has A nice mid range.
5. Anna and Aubrey are playing ok. Anna needs to contribute on offense and if shots aren’t falling she needs to be more aggressive to hoop. Too many times she drives and kicks out when she can pull up or take it strong. You can tell she’s deferring but hopefully she can knock in some shots and gain some confidence.
6. Aubrey is playing with her athleticism and I’m hoping she can get better with each game. She has proven to be able to rebound defend and steal passes. Now we need her to just provide some confident shots or drives to basket.
7. EA is really playing like she doesn’t belong and this is against Vanderbilt. Not sure what has happened to her. I’m starting to believe she will not be a contributor at any point except garbage time.

Reaction Score
People seem to have forgotten Lou and Pheesa their freshman year - Lou couldn't make a shot to save her life and Pheesa refused to take a shot. Took a while for either of them to remember how to play basketball. Same is happening to our newbies - takes time to stop thinking and start playing in a new system. Meanwhile ...

Christyn and Megan are playing really well, Olivia is clearly improved and Crystal is trying to figure out who can score where while chipping in as always.

Yeah, it isn't going to be pretty for a while. But did anyone really believe replacing Lou and Pheesa was going to be seamless? There is no one on this team who has ever won a championship or even played in one for the first time in a very long time!
I think some of us were hoping for a little more seamless transition. Kind of like the year we lost the big three.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Caught the game live tonight. UConn started off slow but picked up defensively. The offense was hit or miss.

The passing is not crisp. Especially Liv's from the high post. The cuts were there, but the passes were off.

The Huskies seemed reluctant to take a three, even when open. Maybe that's because they knew they were being outrebounded. They had a good run late in the first half and started strong in the second running up to a 26 point lead. But then Vandy made some substitutions and the game got a lot more physical and the lead was cut in half as UConn wilted. Vandy had chances to make the game closer in the fourth quarter but they had too many turnovers and couldn't buy a three.

The Vandy team played hard for 40 minutes and their fans appreciated the effort.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom