2020 Recruiting: - Vance Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Vance Jackson

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I watched UNM games 4 times this past season
The kid has actually regressed since his UConn day - absolutely zero defense and didn't hesitate to shoot every time he touched the ball
The last game I watched in late February vs UNLV, his team mates appeared to refuse to get him the ball

Reaction Score
I watched UNM games 4 times this past season
The kid has actually regressed since his UConn day - absolutely zero defense and didn't hesitate to shoot every time he touched the ball
The last game I watched in late February vs UNLV, his team mates appeared to refuse to get him the ball

His freshman year here he was so out of shape and then played well and got a little quicker once he got in shape towards the end of the season. Did he at least get in shape at new mexico?

Reaction Score
Perfect question from a player, especially a freshman at the end of year meeting.

Less than perfect response

Kind of makes one wonder what they told him at New Mexico to get him there and how the year end conversation went this year.
Three years of stats, with UConn first:
Points went from 8 to 12.3 to 10.6 over his career.
2 PT % went from 40.7 to 39.3 to 41.3 and,
3 PT % went from 39.7 to 31.8 to 34.9.
It sure looks as if Ollie's response wasn't the (sole) problem, and I'm not an Ollie apologist. Sometimes the player has to look in the mirror (and not see Dad).

Reaction Score
We don't know it's not the perfect answer right? I mean if the kid went home immediately after every practice and never stayed to work on his game like the real good ones, dedicated ones then absolutely its the right answer.
Reminds me of one of the youtube strength guys who was going over questions from subscribers. One was what to do 'cause can't jump high enough. Guy said usually people want some exotic, gimmick thing like strength shoes for jumping higher. His answer was "don't come to me to ask about this unless you spent your time under the bar (meaning barbell) and can squat twice your weight". Seems like similar answer, before we start talking about arm angle, pivot moves, etc. get in the gym and put some time in playing, shooting, lifting etc. so you have some skills to build on.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I kind of feel for Vance. He could have been a lot more if he had better guidance and better coaching. Could be frustrating to watch at times, but the writing on the wall was that he was going to be a great spot up shooter.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of one of the youtube strength guys who was going over questions from subscribers. One was what to do 'cause can't jump high enough. Guy said usually people want some exotic, gimmick thing like strength shoes for jumping higher. His answer was "don't come to me to ask about this unless you spent your time under the bar (meaning barbell) and can squat twice your weight". Seems like similar answer, before we start talking about arm angle, pivot moves, etc. get in the gym and put some time in playing, shooting, lifting etc. so you have some skills to build on.

Been saying the same thing essentially since he left. I'm fairly sure Ollie didn't literally say "get in the gym" but did say something to that effect i.e. you need a lot of work on your game and body kid (and not the fun kind).

As we can see that still hasn't happened 3 years later.

Reaction Score
He had to play that much. We didn't have enough players who could play on the perimeter for him to be sat.

I mean not everything needs to be taken 100% at face value man...clearly he was needed and I enjoyed watching him play. Just sayin that sometimes "what you need" and "what you have" is about adapting...
and neither side of this scenario did that well in the long run.

Reaction Score

"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

YouTube strength guys don't get paid millions to coach like 15 guys total and then not have plans for their improvement.

Reaction Score
His freshman year here he was so out of shape and then played well and got a little quicker once he got in shape towards the end of the season. Did he at least get in shape at new mexico?

Didn't he puke after the 1st practice?

pj

Reaction Score
"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

YouTube strength guys don't get paid millions to coach like 15 guys total and then not have plans for their improvement.

You're only paying me $200k per kid and you want more than "get in the gym"?

Reaction Score
After a full season of Hurley peaking with the guys all in.....do you really think Vance is all in?.....good god

Reaction Score
Jackson has flaws but I find it How funny that people are trying to justify that terrible generic answer from our head coach the face of the basketball program at the time as an ok answer...wow lol

Reaction Score
Jackson has flaws but I find it How funny that people are trying to justify that terrible generic answer from our head coach the face of the basketball program at the time as an ok answer...wow lol

More or less funny than the people taking his stage parents’ word for it?

Coming out of high school, if you wanted to bet on a kid making multiple transfers or an ill-advised decision to turn pro you could have done a lot worse than betting on Vance Jackson.

I’m no Ollie apologist but absolutely nothing about Vance Jackson makes me think he’d fit with Hurley.

Reaction Score
More or less funny than the people taking his stage parents’ word for it?

Coming out of high school, if you wanted to bet on a kid making multiple transfers or an ill-advised decision to turn pro you could have done a lot worse than betting on Vance Jackson.
Never argued if it was true or not, people here treating it as true said that was a good answer from a division 1 head coach, do you find the alleged response to be appropriate for a head coach to make?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wish him well and a low division one school like a Sacred Heart or similar school.

pj

Reaction Score
Never argued if it was true or not, people here treating it as true said that was a good answer from a division 1 head coach, do you find the alleged response to be appropriate for a head coach to make?

"Get in the gym" is always a good thing for a coach to say, allied with a plan for what to do in the gym and an explanation why it's important. But "there was no plan" is a damning critique of the coach.

Reaction Score
So he went from 8 pts as a freshmen at Uconn to 11 pts as a senior at New Mexico. Oof.

Which was a worse trajectory for their careers? Vance to UNM or Oriakhi to Missouri? Thanks dads! At least Enoch became somebody, became a contender.

Vance lucked into extended playing time and experience and then he pissed it away on hubris.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Get in the gym" is always a good thing for a coach to say, allied with a plan for what to do in the gym and an explanation why it's important. But "there was no plan" is a damning critique of the coach.

I missed the fact we know there was no plan. Can someone remind me where we heard that? Was it his father :rolleyes:

I mean I watched a couple of games this year and intently watched him it's a shame. The kid is in great shape now, looks cut and thinned out through the middle. Had a couple different hairdos cooking but he should be so much more of an impact than he is. Anyone thinking it's on the UConn or NMSU coach is just lost. The kid doesn't work hard, even worst on the defensive end and he is gifted it's too bad. He has good size, can shoot it and can rebound the ball too. Handles it well enough for his size too but he's missing that ethic which separates the really good ones from the good enough ones.

No interest whatsoever in him ever being a Husky again even with DH being able to pummel the best out of him. He's not worthy and most of it has to do with dad from Day 1.

pj

Reaction Score
I missed the fact we know there was no plan. Can someone remind me where we heard that? Was it his father :rolleyes:

Yes, of course, and maybe the father was lying or exaggerating. Or maybe KO was a lazy coach. Or both. Not my job to judge these things, but KO seemed to leave a lot of players feeling like the Jacksons.

Re the rest of your post, I agree with your take on Vance. But character issues leads back to recruiting -- are you recruiting the right guys?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I mean I watched a couple of games this year and intently watched him it's a shame. The kid is in great shape now, looks cut and thinned out through the middle. Had a couple different hairdos cooking but he should be so much more of an impact than he is. Anyone thinking it's on the UConn or NMSU coach is just lost. The kid doesn't work hard, even worst on the defensive end and he is gifted it's too bad. He has good size, can shoot it and can rebound the ball too. Handles it well enough for his size too but he's missing that ethic which separates the really good ones from the good enough ones.

No interest whatsoever in him ever being a Husky again even with DH being able to pummel the best out of him. He's not worthy and most of it has to do with dad from Day 1.
Somehow Ollie got it out of him, as someone mentioned got him to puke after the first practice. I wonder if some of these kids go to mid-majors where they think they are bigger than the program and are allowed to become lazy. This kid needed somebody in his ear. Some kids badly need a Calhoun to succeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom