2020 Recruiting: - Vance Jackson | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Vance Jackson

Reaction Score
Good God, KO is long gone -- can we stop forcing silly interpretations to make up stuff about why he should be gone?

Is okay if we wait until he isn't in arbitration or litigating against the school, because I think that extends the statute of limitations on referencing his coaching while he was here.

(FWIW, I generally don't like the gratuitous KO reference, but it seems fair game in a Vance thread.)

@businesslawyer KO isn't long gone, still very heavily in this arbitration mess. This is a thread about Vance Jackson, a former KO recruit who left because of displeasure with his coach, also KO.

Get off your damn soap box.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So he went from 8 pts as a freshmen at Uconn to 11 pts as a senior at New Mexico. Oof.

Which was a worse trajectory for their careers? Vance to UNM or Oriakhi to Missouri? Thanks dads! At least Enoch became somebody, became a contender.

Vance lucked into extended playing time and experience and then he pissed it away on hubris.

I’m liking this for the on the waterfront reference.

Reaction Score
Vance.

I am sure his dad is not a bad guy, but obviously a stage dad.

Yeah you know what, when you watch him he hardly changes his face. That's good and bad right? I mean he doesn't show much frustration, celebration or anything no matter what's going on. Without knowing he might just like the game and not love it! Anyway thanks interesting kid.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
LOL at Ollie having a plan.
I didn't say he gave one to Jackson, other than "get in the gym." But I also don't know that Ollie, or his staff, didn't. And neither do you.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he gave one to Jackson, other than "get in the gym." But I also don't know that Ollie, or his staff, didn't. And neither do you.

Well I have a direct quote from a secondary source saying he didn't, and no evidence otherwise.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's averaging 3 more points 4 years later so it was because KO was a lazy coach. Geez maybe the kid doesn't work on any "plan" from any coach, could that be it?

No no it can't be let's blame KO as much as we can. LOL lame!

Maybe blame him for recruiting because pretty much that whole class that transferred didn't accomplish all that much or improve all that much anywhere else? Blame their coaches too?
As weird as it is for people bashing a kid who’s been gone for two years and is irrelevant to us now, how passionately you are defending KO is just as weird. What’s with the over the top lovefest for KO?

Reaction Score
As weird as it is for people bashing a kid who’s been gone for two years and is irrelevant to us now, how passionately you are defending KO is just as weird. What’s with the over the top lovefest for KO?

It's weird that you think it's a lovefest. Just stating a simple fact, try reading it. No one knows if he gave kids a plan or not, do you? If you lose the hatred of the man you will remember if nothing else he was an early riser, always preparing to be better in his workouts and in the gym. I'm guessing he left kids with a plan for the summer, just assuming. Certainly not saying he coached them better at the end. Other than that if you have first hand knowledge please feel free to show me I'm wrong? Or else relax on the lovefest crap!

Reaction Score
It's weird that you think it's a lovefest. Just stating a simple fact, try reading it. No one knows if he gave kids a plan or not, do you? If you lose the hatred of the man you will remember if nothing else he was an early riser, always preparing to be better in his workouts and in the gym. I'm guessing he left kids with a plan for the summer, just assuming. Certainly not saying he coached them better at the end. Other than that if you have first hand knowledge please feel free to show me I'm wrong? Or else relax on the lovefest crap!

Well the on court results the last couple years of the KO era looked exactly like players were told "get in the gym" and not much else.

I guess you think it's more likely we had an entire team full of guys not willing to work hard than it is we had a coach without a real plan? Even with some of the other stuff that went on under KO at the end? That seems unlikely, just based upon, you know, math.

But I guess the Jackson family could have been lying. They really get no big benefit out of lying in that situation, it's not like the Dukes of the world were going to be asking him to transfer there either way. But it's possible they are lying about it.

Reaction Score
Well the on court results the last couple years of the KO era looked exactly like players were told "get in the gym" and not much else.

I guess you think it's more likely we had an entire team full of guys not willing to work hard than it is we had a coach without a real plan? Even with some of the other stuff that went on under KO at the end? That seems unlikely, just based upon, you know, math.

But I guess the Jackson family could have been lying. They really get no big benefit out of lying in that situation, it's not like the Dukes of the world were going to be asking him to transfer there either way. But it's possible they are lying about it.

I'm sure they weren't lying completely about the "plan." But they also discussed, or dad did, KO wasn't utilizing Vance correctly at that time. Was that the plan they speak of and not what he needed to do to improve in the summer? Who knows.

Anyway who cares this has gone too far I need to get back to my lovefest, with Captain Morgan!

Reaction Score
I don’t know if I should even bother making a point to someone who said ollies advice of getting in the gym was good advice. I have no hatred of Ollie, I woulda rode with him for another year. But the way your crushing on Vance to save face for KO is silly. Sorry if using the word lovefest offended you but that’s the tone I got from reading ur post.
Vance was a good kid when he was here. Don’t know if he changed after leaving.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if I should even bother making a point to someone who said ollies advice of getting in the gym was good advice. I have no hatred of Ollie, I woulda rode with him for another year. But the way your crushing on Vance to save face for KO is silly. Sorry if using the word lovefest offended you but that’s the tone I got from reading ur post.

Crushing on him for what? Who has the love fest now? Stop this we won't agree at all.

If you thought the kid was a good kid then great, he probably was and I never said he wasn't. Fishy actually confirmed he was a good kid. If you thought he played really hard you are wrong, he didn't and he still doesn't. Have at it, I'm through.

EDIT: I walked away but thought of something else. To defend Vance from my point of "not playing hard" he didn't have the same coach who was an assistant to JC and then won a title so maybe he wasn't forced to play hard like a JC or DH would. Maybe there was too much leniency due to the lost of focus as a coach so not all on Vance on the court or off so I will walk away thinking the blame should be shared. But again, enough!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hilarious. The last couple years under KO we looked like we had no real definitive plan in terms of recruiting, player development, pre game prep, in game adjustments, or following NCAA rules. Yet when Jackson says he was given no real off season plan beyond "get in the gym" people are this board are like "hurr durr, there's no way to even take an educated guess on whether or not he got an actual plan, we'll just never know. Vance's dad said KO wasn't utilizing his son correctly so we're just going to ignore every other piece of information available".

Reaction Score
It's hilarious. The last couple years under KO we looked like we had no real definitive plan in terms of recruiting, player development, pre game prep, in game adjustments, or following NCAA rules. Yet when Jackson says he was given no real off season plan beyond "get in the gym" people are this board are like "hurr durr, there's no way to even take an educated guess on whether or not he got an actual plan, we'll just never know. Vance's dad said KO wasn't utilizing his son correctly so we're just going to ignore every other piece of information available".
agree, people are so happy the kid hasn’t succeeded since he left so they can say, it wasn’t KO’s fault. It’s laughable

Reaction Score
Nobody writing here really knows whether there were more detailed recommendations, a "plan." If we can agree that “get in the gym" is the start of a plan then Ollie told him something useful. Whether he told him more than that is up for conjecture.

Wait a minute here. You must be forgetting there's a lot of geniuses here who "know" what the father allegedly thought or did, "know" what the kid was thinking, and no one can disprove anything they're conjuring up. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Crushing on him for what? Who has the love fest now? Stop this we won't agree at all.

If you thought the kid was a good kid then great, he probably was and I never said he wasn't. Fishy actually confirmed he was a good kid. If you thought he played really hard you are wrong, he didn't and he still doesn't. Have at it, I'm through.

EDIT: I walked away but thought of something else. To defend Vance from my point of "not playing hard" he didn't have the same coach who was an assistant to JC and then won a title so maybe he wasn't forced to play hard like a JC or DH would. Maybe there was too much leniency due to the lost of focus as a coach so not all on Vance on the court or off so I will walk away thinking the blame should be shared. But again, enough!
yes we have very different view points, when u said get in the gym was good advice I should have just scrolled past.

Reaction Score
agree, people are so happy the kid hasn’t succeeded since he left so they can say, it wasn’t KO’s fault. It’s laughable

If you’re agreeing with 7774 you now have made it to the big time. Congrats lol nice lovefest!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Well I have a direct quote from a secondary source saying he didn't, and no evidence otherwise.
"Secondary source". Isn't there some kind of Boneyard thing about "grain of salt?";)

Look, all I'm saying is none of us really can know for sure what took place in a private conversation between two people, both of whom might have reasons to misrepresent said conversation.

Reaction Score
If you’re agreeing with 7774 you now have made it to the big time. Congrats lol nice lovefest!
I’ll agree with whoever says something that makes sense, just like ur whole tone changed on the kid once fishy made a comment

Reaction Score
"Secondary source". Isn't there some kind of Boneyard thing about "grain of salt?";)

Look, all I'm saying is none of us really can know for sure what took place in a private conversation between two people, both of whom might have reasons to misrepresent said conversation.

Some have all the answers WDog not worth it.

I mean they weren’t good the last couple years for sure but I just don’t think he just shook their hands and said see you in the fall but please hit the gym. I could be wrong but I just doubt it.

Reaction Score

Basically a primary source in this case considering the relationship involved. Occam's razor comes in here. None of the players developed very well post title. Ollie got pushed out of his own alma mater despite winning a national title. Players de-committed and said it was because the coach wasn't putting in enough effort. The Jacksons had a very specific and reasonable complaint directly related to coach preparedness and work ethic.

But sure, maybe he had a great plan for Vance and the Jacksons picked that random thing to lie about to spin their exit in a positive manner, and Ollie unfortunately just had the workout plan and skill training package in his head and not written down.

I'll go with the prima facie evidence on this one.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom