2020 Recruiting: - Vance Jackson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Vance Jackson

Reaction Score
So he went from 8 pts as a freshmen at Uconn to 11 pts as a senior at New Mexico. Oof.

Which was a worse trajectory for their careers? Vance to UNM or Oriakhi to Missouri? Thanks dads! At least Enoch became somebody, became a contender.

Vance lucked into extended playing time and experience and then he pissed it away on hubris.
Alex Oriakhi had by far the best year of his career (stats wise) at Missouri and went to the NCAA Tournament the year UConn was banned. Weird post

Reaction Score
Yes, of course, and maybe the father was lying or exaggerating. Or maybe KO was a lazy coach. Or both. Not my job to judge these things, but KO seemed to leave a lot of players feeling like the Jacksons.

Yeah he's averaging 3 more points 4 years later so it was because KO was a lazy coach. Geez maybe the kid doesn't work on any "plan" from any coach, could that be it?

No no it can't be let's blame KO as much as we can. LOL lame!

Maybe blame him for recruiting because pretty much that whole class that transferred didn't accomplish all that much or improve all that much anywhere else? Blame their coaches too?

Reaction Score
Alex Oriakhi had by far the best year of his career (stats wise) at Missouri and went to the NCAA Tournament the year UConn was banned. Weird post
Meh, 11.2 pts per game isn't earth shattering. By far? Try slightly better. Weird post. I suppose I was more biased than I remember, but I don't see what was so great about that. Did they go far in the tourney or something?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh, 11.2 pts per game isn't earth shattering. Perhaps I was more biased than I remember, but I don't see what was so great about that. Did they go far in the tourney or something?
15th in the county in Offensive Rating, 11th in the country in eFG %, 6th in the country in TS%, 41st in Offensive Rebounding %, 124th in Defensive Rebounding %, 123rd In Block %, 46th in FT Rate, Shot 64% from the floor, averaged 11.2 Pts.

All of those were career highs.

Led the SEC in Offensive Rating, eFG%, TS%, and FG%, was 3rd in offensive and defensive rebounding %, and 5th in block%.

Reaction Score
15th in the county in Offensive Rating, 11th in the country in eFG %, 6th in the country in TS%, 41st in Offensive Rebounding %, 124th in Defensive Rebounding %, 123rd In Block %, 46th in FT Rate, Shot 64% from the floor, averaged 11.2 Pts.

All of those were career highs.

Led the SEC in Offensive Rating, eFG%, TS%, and FG%, was 3rd in offensive and defensive rebounding %, and 5th in block%.
So he had 1.6 more pts than 10-11 and 0.7 less rebounds on a national championship team as a sophomore compared to a senior. By far better?

Reaction Score
Somehow Ollie got it out of him, as someone mentioned got him to puke after the first practice. I wonder if some of these kids go to mid-majors where they think they are bigger than the program and are allowed to become lazy. This kid needed somebody in his ear. Some kids badly need a Calhoun to succeed.
His dad would have never tolerated a Calhoun in his ear

Reaction Score
So he had 1.6 more pts than 10-11 and 0.7 less rebounds on a national championship team as a sophomore compared to a senior. By far better?
Efficiency doesn't matter? He took 100 less shots and scored 2 points more per game.

What's better 20 points on 20 shots a game, or 25 points on 30 shots a game?

Context doesn't matter? UConn had the 7th best defense in 2011 resulting in more missed shots, resulting in more rebounding opportunities which is why he averaged more rebounds in 2011 vs 2013. He actually grabbed a higher percentage of misses in 2013 than he did in 2011. He was a better rebounder.

Reaction Score
Efficiency doesn't matter? He took 100 less shots and scored 2 points more per game.

What's better 20 points on 20 shots a game, or 25 points on 30 shots a game?
Sorry, I expect bigger progressions from sophomore year to senior year. Especially going to a less reputable program. If he made such a "by far better" progression he would've got more shots. I had higher hopes for him as a McD AA who had a major impact as a sophomore. But, yes i was biased.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I expect bigger progressions from sophomore year to senior year. Especially going to a less reputable program. If he made such a "by far better" progression he would've got more shots. I had higher hopes for him as a McD AA who had a major impact as a sophomore. But, yes i was biased.
I appreciate you taking the L

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You know what, if there was an opening and given that he’s a one year rental, I would not be opposed.

But this won’t happen.

That New Mexico program imploded exactly on schedule, didn’t it?
I don't think Hurley would appreciate the meddling parental baggage VJ brings.

Reaction Score

Sophomore to senior year with an extra year to improve his game and body by sitting out I might add. This is simple for most, kid doesn't get everything he can out of himself he's talented. Anyone seeing anything other than that is blind. Not much different than Enoch quite honestly. Durham actually could have improved the most out of them all, might blame Brey for not using him correctly.

Reaction Score
You're looking at 2 surface level stats and ignoring everything else he posted to disprove your point
So? Also, what was disproved? He went from a very serviceable big man as a sophomore on a national championship team at a blue blood school where the world was his oyster to a very serviceable big man as a senior on a tourney team at a mid level P5 school. You guys are acting like he became Emeka Okafor. He did get drafted though at least. He gets benefit of the doubt over Vance because of the post season ban and I conceded my own personal fanboy bias, but I don't recall him becoming a superstar at Mizzou. Maybe I missed it. I thought he really could've become a great big man at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly........wasn't his transfer also related to the postseason ban on UConn his senior year? I think immediate eligibility was granted for both he and Roscoe at UNLV?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think Hurley would appreciate the meddling parental baggage VJ brings.

When you’ve transferred twice and do not have another year left, parental leverage is somewhere south of zero.

He’s not coming here, but people who keep projecting dad’s behavior onto the kid are swinging and missing. No one who has dealt with him has anything other than good things to stay about him.

Reaction Score
I mean not everything needs to be taken 100% at face value man...clearly he was needed and I enjoyed watching him play. Just sayin that sometimes "what you need" and "what you have" is about adapting...
and neither side of this scenario did that well in the long run.

Good God, KO is long gone -- can we stop forcing silly interpretations to make up stuff about why he should be gone?

In the context of everything the father said on social media and to reporters, the only rational interpretation of
So he went from 8 pts as a freshmen at Uconn to 11 pts as a senior at New Mexico. Oof.

Which was a worse trajectory for their careers? Vance to UNM or Oriakhi to Missouri? Thanks dads! At least Enoch became somebody, became a contender.

Vance lucked into extended playing time and experience and then he pissed it away on hubris.

Please stop. You are actually comparing someone who was an incredibly important player on a national championship team to someone who got to start as a frosh on a bad team. Yes, they both have fathers who couldn't keep their traps shut and ended up transferring. That's the end of the comparison. The Oriakhis were not delusional.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good God, KO is long gone -- can we stop forcing silly interpretations to make up stuff about why he should be gone?
Is okay if we wait until he isn't in arbitration or litigating against the school, because I think that extends the statute of limitations on referencing his coaching while he was here.

(FWIW, I generally don't like the gratuitous KO reference, but it seems fair game in a Vance thread.)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
"Get in the gym" is always a good thing for a coach to say, allied with a plan for what to do in the gym and an explanation why it's important. But "there was no plan" is a damning critique of the coach.
Nobody writing here really knows whether there were more detailed recommendations, a "plan." If we can agree that “get in the gym" is the start of a plan then Ollie told him something useful. Whether he told him more than that is up for conjecture.

Reaction Score
Please stop. You are actually comparing someone who was an incredibly important player on a national championship team to someone who got to start as a frosh on a bad team. Yes, they both have fathers who couldn't keep their traps shut and ended up transferring. That's the end of the comparison. The Oriakhis were not delusional.
Who is transfers that really bother you?

The sad thing is everyone was so into proving Alex's awesome Mizzou stats, that they missed my sweet On The Waterfront reference.

I'm going back to the Cesspool where its less confrontational and everyone is on the same side (except Calluke and Kolumbo). Its too high strung and abrasive over here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you’ve transferred twice and do not have another year left, parental leverage is somewhere south of zero.

He’s not coming here, but people who keep projecting dad’s behavior onto the kid are swinging and missing. No one who has dealt with him has anything other than good things to stay about him.

Good things to say about Vance or his dad? Or both? Interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom