Valdir Manuel (JUCO) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Valdir Manuel (JUCO)

Reaction Score
I'm most often an optimist, but with a year to recruit a serviceable center, we fanned on our prime targets, we don't offer a good looking kid that visits, have a shallow list of grad transfers, don't know if Coleman has any interest in us, and seem to have only 1 candidate that has marginal academics. Really?
meh. crap happens. we got Akok. He can slide to the five in an emergency. This class was great + Cole. we're just freaking out because we haven't landed a top 100 center in ages. Let's give Hurley another class to work with.

Reaction Score
I'm most often an optimist, but with a year to recruit a serviceable center, we fanned on our prime targets, we don't offer a good looking kid that visits, have a shallow list of grad transfers, don't know if Coleman has any interest in us, and seem to have only 1 candidate that has marginal academics. Really?

I don't know what a lot of you are seeing in Issanza. Coleman and Manuel look like significantly better prospects to me. Issanza looks very, very raw. And clearly the staff, because they didn't offer.

Guys get paid major $$$ to be better at this than us.

Reaction Score
The fact that he visited, Hurley talked about the need for a backup 5, and we didn't even offer should tell you all you need to know

Reaction Score
The fact that he visited, Hurley talked about the need for a backup 5, and we didn't even offer should tell you all you need to know
Can we even offer without having an open scholarship?

Reaction Score
So the fact that he is going to Oklahoma tells me he wasn't a recruit worthy Tyler Phommachanh be a backup in the AAC?

Oklahoma has 7 recruits in their 2019 class. It will be interesting to look back in a year or so to see who were the real priorities and recruiting wins.

Reaction Score

Yes.

Teams can accept as many verbals as they want and sort it out later, but it wouldn’t be my choice of how to handle things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah can send out as many offers as you want. Can technically take as many commits as you want too, though it's rare that a team goes more than 1 over at a given time

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
His last like on twitter... Hurley-Jalen at the garden gif. I wonder why we weren’t involved earlier. He’s everything we’re looking for in a center. Physical yet mobile enough to play in an uptempo system, rebounds, blocks shots. Really good system fit.
Did somebody say "rebounds"? Yeah, sign him!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the staff is in a really tough spot here. Manuel looks serviceable, but he's a three year guy. That's better than four but not as good as one.

I checked 247 and don't see any immediately eligible transfer centers. A couple PF, but we aren't going to get Blackshear from VT. It would be nice, but not realistic.

I'm not sure who else is available that's worth locking up a scholarship long term. Bones Hyland I suppose, but we'd be so overloaded at guard with Cole coming in as well.

Reaction Score
I think the staff is in a really tough spot here. Manuel looks serviceable, but he's a three year guy. That's better than four but not as good as one.

I checked 247 and don't see any immediately eligible transfer centers. A couple PF, but we aren't going to get Blackshear from VT. It would be nice, but not realistic.

I'm not sure who else is available that's worth locking up a scholarship long term. Bones Hyland I suppose, but we'd be so overloaded at guard with Cole coming in as well.
What’s wrong with knowing you’d have two years in a row with a senior C on the roster (Carlton in 2 years, Manuel in 3)? IMO that’s actually pretty ideal for UConn since they’ve spent the last 7 years proving they struggle to recruit good bigs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What’s wrong with knowing you’d have two years in a row with a senior C on the roster (Carlton in 2 years, Manuel in 3)? IMO that’s actually pretty ideal for UConn since they’ve spent the last 7 years proving they struggle to recruit good bigs.

Because he might not be any good. And having both may hinder recruitment of a better big next year. It does by scholarship count at a minimum. I'm not opposed to it. I want to win now, not twos years out. This guy is probably our best bet. But I think the staff is weighing these things.

Reaction Score
Because he might not be any good. And having both may hinder recruitment of a better big next year. It does by scholarship count at a minimum. I'm not opposed to it. I want to win now, not twos years out. This guy is probably our best bet. But I think the staff is weighing these things.
FWIW Manuel was a JUCO All American and he put up much better numbers in AAU (10/7.5/1.6 BLK, 49% 2P, 45% 3P, 67% FT in the EYBL) than Carlton, Whaley, and even Enoch ever did.

Reaction Score
FWIW Manuel was a JUCO All American and he put up much better numbers in AAU (10/7.5/1.6 BLK, 49% 2P, 45% 3P, 67% FT in the EYBL) than Carlton, Whaley, and even Enoch ever did.
Add in Manuel's JUCO stats:

13.3p/10.1r/2.2b/2.3pf/2.3to in 24.7 mpg.

Incredible numbers for barely playing more than half the game. The only alarming number is the 2.3 TO/gp. I've never watched him play but at his position that could either mean butter fingers from dimes or trying to do too much on offense. If it's the latter, I'm less concerned with that since he won't be expected to do any facilitating or iso on offense.

If he wants to sign, I'd take a shot on this guy, especially since his scholly would only take up two years and he wouldn't defer a talented big to sign with us in 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Add in Manuel's JUCO stats:

13.3p/10.1r/2.2b/2.3pf/2.3to in 24.7 mpg.

Incredible numbers for barely playing more than half the game. The only alarming number is the 2.3 TO/PG. I've never watched him play but at his position that could either mean butter fingers from dimes or trying to do too much on defense. If it's the latter, I'm less concerned with that since he won't be expected to do any facilitating or iso on offense.

If he wants to sign, I'd take a shot on this guy, especially since his scholly would only take up two years and he wouldn't defer a talented big to sign with us in 2020.
He would be a 3 year guy. But I can't believe people wouldn't want this guy. Especially in the situation we are in right now.

I just said this to someone else, but while he is a different type of player, his ranking if he was in HS would be where Wahab is. And I think we would love to have Wahab on the roster.

Manuel is in a different league that Coleman, Issanza or these other guys we have been recruiting.

Reaction Score
Manuel would be a junior when a ‘20 big would be a freshman. I don’t think that’s a deterrent or a concern for the staff in recruiting. A three-man rotation of bigs with a freshman is pretty much ideal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He would be a 3 year guy. But I can't believe people wouldn't want this guy. Especially in the situation we are in right now.

I just said this to someone else, but while he is a different type of player, his ranking if he was in HS would be where Wahab is. And I think we would love to have Wahab on the roster.

Manuel is in a different league that Coleman, Issanza or these other guys we have been recruiting.

You've got more info than I can see in this thread then. If he's that level of player, absolutely get him if we can. Fits the current needs perfectly. I like that he looks like he can run, which Josh isn't great at.

Reaction Score
You've got more info than I can see in this thread then. If he's that level of player, absolutely get him if we can. Fits the current needs perfectly. I like that he looks like he can run, which Josh isn't great at.
Just look at the numbers @UConnStats and @Hey Adrien! provided. Plus his offers. He's not Kofi by any means, but he has the potential to be a solid 3 year player who will get better under Kenya. And he's not a reach.

Reaction Score
Just look at the numbers @UConnStats and @Hey Adrien! provided. Plus his offers. He's not Kofi by any means, but he has the potential to be a solid 3 year player who will get better under Kenya. And he's not a reach.

And, he’s a guy Hurley showed previous interest in, who comes from a great high school program. I like guys, especially bigs, that have been tested in high school and weren’t putting up big numbers against lower level competition.

Reaction Score
Read before in the past he put up great numbers against good talent in NJ. (Think he was like 20-10 against Naz in the state tourney)

Only downside I’ve found with him was a lot of reports regarding consistent effort. Specifically on defense.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
To add to your point: He was a better recruit than Carlton was. Anybody feel like tossing Carlton back into the pond?

If/when the paperwork clears and we open up that scholarship, this is our guy.

;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom