Valdir Manuel (JUCO) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Valdir Manuel (JUCO)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the right perspective. He's raw. I want a guy who can defend big physical players, box out big physical players, and rebound. He seems to know how to dunk, which is fine. I expect 4-6 ppg from guys like this, an offensive rebound or another dunk off a pass. Somebody like that has value on the roster as a backup.
UConn needs a back up center badly. Committing 3 years to a raw player when there is so much need for upgrading is a big risk.

Losing out on Kofi and Tre has put Hurley in a bind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not a huge upgrade over Whaley. Would prefer Emmanuel Ugboh

I wish I had a better feel for what kind of weight Whaley can put on. He has good shot blocking instincts, very nice hops, rebounds well and if he can just get stronger, yeah, he can be the backup.

Reaction Score
I am pretty new the culture aspects of the boneyard. Big E and I were scheduled to meet in Santa Barbara for a quick tutorial but he had an unexpected beach excursion with a brunette spinner.

So I am embarrassed to ask but...what is a "casual fan" that everyone references on the BY? At the risk of hijacking this thread... being schooled on this concept of the "casual fan" as it relates to the University of Connecticut basketball program would be greatly appreciated. I contemplated a separate Off Topic subject heading post to open this issue up for discussion but decided the powers that be might either ban me or throw water balloons at me.

Thanks & Sincerely Always,
BDH
If you’ve ever been to first night you might be a casual fan
If you disagree with Chief you might be a casual fan
If you think education is important for athletes you may be a causal fan
If you think the concussion protocol is a reasonable practice you may be a casual fan
If you’re not willing to stalk the urinals for recruits you might be a casual fan
Please add more

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That 2018 mixtape was pretty damn funny and I hope he got his money back but a mobile big is what we need .. he’s raw but trust he will be coached up.

Reaction Score
He has flipped commitments 3x. From St. Joe's to SHU to St. John's. Have heard that he is somewhat of a mess, has the wrong people in his year, and might have trouble with grades. Just passing along =)
Hmm sounds pretty positive

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He announced he was transferring on the 10th and within a week he and the HC were following each other on twitter. We probably did reach out right away by that rate. How quickly do you expect things to come together?

Agreed about the physicality and fluidity mix. Looks like a good prospect and the year of eligibility lost probably doesn’t hurt at all.
I meant before he committed to St. John’s at the end of last year.

UconnU

Reaction Score
UConn needs a back up center badly. Committing 3 years to a raw player when there is so much need for upgrading is a big risk.

Worth noting that St. John’s probably could have landed Kofi Cockburn but opted for Valdir because he was a better system fit. Mullin wasn’t a great coach but he did do a good job at evaluating talent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Kofi and Wahab. Tre wouldn't fix any of these issues.

C

Chief00

He has flipped commitments 3x. From St. Joe's to SHU to St. John's. Have heard that he is somewhat of a mess, has the wrong people in his year, and might have trouble with grades. Just passing along =)

Indeed, the trifecta.

Reaction Score
I think this is (and has been) the late spring target for backup center - dependent on how things work out scholly wise.

Reaction Score
someone said it's a grades thing

I posted this earlier in the thread, and I still stand by it. If they can work it out, get him...

“March, 2018- commits to Seton Hall (reportedly over Syracuse, Illinois, Temple)
July, 2018- decommits from Seton Hall, commits to St. Joe’s
September, 2018- decommits from St. Joe’s because of academic issues, enrolls at Harcum
December, 2018- commits to St. John’s
April, 2019- decommits from St. John’s because of coaching change

It’s been a ride. URI’s offer came in May of 2017 during his junior year of high school.

It’s a lot of change, but I don’t see any red flags. Academics and a coaching change led to the decisions, and they would absolutely make sure he would be immediately eligible before accepting his commitment. He’s from a great high school program and is a big fan of Hurley (players talk and his former teammate Langevine is a Hurley guy).”

Reaction Score
I posted this earlier in the thread, and I still stand by it. If they can work it out, get him...

“March, 2018- commits to Seton Hall (reportedly over Syracuse, Illinois, Temple)
July, 2018- decommits from Seton Hall, commits to St. Joe’s
September, 2018- decommits from St. Joe’s because of academic issues, enrolls at Harcum
December, 2018- commits to St. John’s
April, 2019- decommits from St. John’s because of coaching change

It’s been a ride. URI’s offer came in May of 2017 during his junior year of high school.

It’s a lot of change, but I don’t see any red flags. Academics and a coaching change led to the decisions, and they would absolutely make sure he would be immediately eligible before accepting his commitment. He’s from a great high school program and is a big fan of Hurley (players talk and his former teammate Langevine is a Hurley guy).”
yeah if they get the last scholarship open you have to take him

UconnU

Reaction Score
My hope is that we are working with him on grades and things are looking better as far as having him academically eligible which is why we never offered Issanza. This kid is high major ready right now. He was JUCO all American last year. NBA ceiling.

Reaction Score
I'm most often an optimist, but with a year to recruit a serviceable center, we fanned on our prime targets, we don't offer a good looking kid that visits, have a shallow list of grad transfers, don't know if Coleman has any interest in us, and seem to have only 1 candidate that has marginal academics. Really?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom