Valdir Manuel (JUCO) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Valdir Manuel (JUCO)

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
His last like on twitter... Hurley-Jalen at the garden gif. I wonder why we weren’t involved earlier. He’s everything we’re looking for in a center. Physical yet mobile enough to play in an uptempo system, rebounds, blocks shots. Really good system fit.

Reaction Score
March, 2018- commits to Seton Hall (reportedly over Syracuse, Illinois, Temple)
July, 2018- decommits from Seton Hall, commits to St. Joe’s
September, 2018- decommits from St. Joe’s because of academic issues, enrolls at Harcum
December, 2018- commits to St. John’s
April, 2019- decommits from St. John’s because of coaching change

It’s been a ride. URI’s offer came in May of 2017 during his junior year of high school.

It’s a lot of change, but I don’t see any red flags. Academics and a coaching change led to the decisions, and they would absolutely make sure he would be immediately eligible before accepting his commitment. He’s from a great high school program and is a big fan of Hurley (players talk and his former teammate Langevine is a Hurley guy).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keeping in mind that I am not an Insider, and just a Casual Fan, I think we will end up with Manuel and Ntambwe. I view that as a great way to round out an already strong class.

As a casual non-insider but does hear things, I like that prediction as it works for now and the future very well. Who knows on Ntambwe maybe they let him play immediately. (oh I forgot if he comes to UConn no shot:rolleyes:)

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He is tall. He appears to have muscles on his shoulders and arms. This is a good thing. It seems he can even play a little. He can also play next year. Seems a perfect fit, with some upside if his coach is correct.

Reaction Score
I am pretty new the culture aspects of the boneyard. Big E and I were scheduled to meet in Santa Barbara for a quick tutorial but he had an unexpected beach excursion with a brunette spinner.

So I am embarrassed to ask but...what is a "casual fan" that everyone references on the BY? At the risk of hijacking this thread... being schooled on this concept of the "casual fan" as it relates to the University of Connecticut basketball program would be greatly appreciated. I contemplated a separate Off Topic subject heading post to open this issue up for discussion but decided the powers that be might either ban me or throw water balloons at me.

Thanks & Sincerely Always,
BDH

Reaction Score
I am pretty new the culture aspects of the boneyard. Big E and I were scheduled to meet in Santa Barbara for a quick tutorial but he had an unexpected beach excursion with a brunette spinner.

So I am embarrassed to ask but...what is a "casual fan" that everyone references on the BY? At the risk of hijacking this thread... being schooled on this concept of the "casual fan" as it relates to the University of Connecticut basketball program would be greatly appreciated. I contemplated a separate Off Topic subject heading post to open this issue up for discussion but decided the powers that be might either ban me or throw water balloons at me.

Thanks & Sincerely Always,
BDH
It’s a quasi inside joke because chief uses that term all the time, and much like everything he says, there is zero substance to it.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
His last like on twitter... Hurley-Jalen at the garden gif. I wonder why we weren’t involved earlier. He’s everything we’re looking for in a center. Physical yet mobile enough to play in an uptempo system, rebounds, blocks shots. Really good system fit.
He announced he was transferring on the 10th and within a week he and the HC were following each other on twitter. We probably did reach out right away by that rate. How quickly do you expect things to come together?

Agreed about the physicality and fluidity mix. Looks like a good prospect and the year of eligibility lost probably doesn’t hurt at all.

Reaction Score
Keeping in mind that I am not an Insider, and just a Casual Fan, I think we will end up with Manuel and Ntambwe. I view that as a great way to round out an already strong class.
Thats what I'm hoping for too. It would be a great class and could even be the starting five in 3 years

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Similar body and inside playing style to Norvel Pelle, which would be a great backup addition to this squad.

Reaction Score
He has flipped commitments 3x. From St. Joe's to SHU to St. John's. Have heard that he is somewhat of a mess, has the wrong people in his year, and might have trouble with grades. Just passing along =)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'm so confused by these highlights. Kids he's playing against literally look like they're in middle school, and honestly he looks EXTREMELY raw and not super athletic.

Everyone keeps saying we need a "impact" center. This is pretty much what is left at this point... I think we'd be better off rolling Diara out there in a wheel chair.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
2018: Valdir's 247Sports Composite ranking was 3 stars with a composite score of 0.8948. His national ranking was 202 and he was considered the 24th best center prospect. Bol Bol and Charles Bassey were considered to be the 1 and 2 best centers for that class.

2019: Valdir's 247Sports Composite Juco ranking is 3 stars with a composite score of 0.8556. He is considered the 3rd best center prospect from the Juco ranks (behind Avery Diggs 3 star 0.8600 Juco composite rating who is going to UCF and Corbin Merritt) and 27th best Juco player. As of 4/17/2019 247Sports gave him a national ranking (all players in the 2019 class I'm guessing) of 443.

This compares to Eric Cobb:

2015: Eric's 247Sports Composite ranking was 3 stars with a composite score fo 0.8187. His national ranking was 392 and he was considered the 67th best PF prospect. Cheick Diallo, Ivan Rabb, Henry Ellenson, and Chase Jeter were the one thru four PFs that year.

Could not find the 2016 Juco rankings for Cobb.

Reaction Score
His JUCO listed him at 6'9" 215. Hopefully he can put on a bit more muscle with Sal, especially if we want him to be a backup center. He hasn't had any problems rebounding in the past, which will help immediately, but I'm more concerned about defense longterm.

Reaction Score
2018: Valdir's 247Sports Composite ranking was 3 stars with a composite score of 0.8948. His national ranking was 202 and he was considered the 24th best center prospect. Bol Bol and Charles Bassey were considered to be the 1 and 2 best centers for that class.

2019: Valdir's 247Sports Composite Juco ranking is 3 stars with a composite score of 0.8556. He is considered the 3rd best center prospect from the Juco ranks (behind Avery Diggs 3 star 0.8600 Juco composite rating who is going to UCF and Corbin Merritt) and 27th best Juco player. As of 4/17/2019 247Sports gave him a national ranking (all players in the 2019 class I'm guessing) of 443.

This compares to Eric Cobb:

2015: Eric's 247Sports Composite ranking was 3 stars with a composite score fo 0.8187. His national ranking was 392 and he was considered the 67th best PF prospect. Cheick Diallo, Ivan Rabb, Henry Ellenson, and Chase Jeter were the one thru four PFs that year.

Could not find the 2016 Juco rankings for Cobb.
Cobb was 52nd in the 2017 JUCO rankings: 2017 JUCO Top 100

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His JUCO listed him at 6'9" 215. Hopefully he can put on a bit more muscle with Sal, especially if we want him to be a backup center. He hasn't had any problems rebounding in the past, which will help immediately, but I'm more concerned about defense longterm.

This is the right perspective. He's raw. I want a guy who can defend big physical players, box out big physical players, and rebound. He seems to know how to dunk, which is fine. I expect 4-6 ppg from guys like this, an offensive rebound or another dunk off a pass. Somebody like that has value on the roster as a backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom