URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 7 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched a couple URI games on YouTube.

Don't mind Martin at all. Wish he would improve his shot, but the other parts of his game are pretty solid. Seems like he knows how to play the game. He could be an all-conference 3rd team caliber player if he could make 36% of his 3's and improved generally in other areas as most players do when they become upperclassmen.

He's got nice athleticism, fluid movement, good team defender. He throws some lazy passes here and there, but flashed some vision at times. Lethal in transition, quite good finisher in the paint in general. Good rebounder. Great at tip-ins.

I was worried from his stats and from talk on here that he was a ball stopper, but he was such a small part of URI's offense, so it seems like he had the mindset of "oh they ran a play for me or I'm open, I better shoot it." They banished him to the corner a bunch to spread the floor for Fatts/Dowtin, which seems like a waste of his ability to handle and exploit mismatches against less athletic 3s, but is understandable to some extent with those guys. But I bet he was bored out of his mind out there. Probably a big reason he's transferring.

A bit of Jalen Adams/Jelly fam type wanting to finish acrobatically instead of drawing fouls is my only real concern (beyond the aforementioned shooting).

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If he was offered and they want someone more they can always pull it, offers aren't binding.
Yup. We offered more guys than we had spots. If you only go for the ones you can take you will get screwed.

Reaction Score

The tweet above was deleted. I don’t know if it’s related to this. Or if this is for Nolley or Martin.

Edit: Starting to think we’ve got Nolley, and that we would pursue Martin because we don’t feel confident a reclass is gonna happen. Still hoping for a reclass though. Martin is just going too quickly and Nolley not quick enough. Preferably Nolley would’ve committed by now and we could focus on a reclass since we wouldn’t need Martin. Since Martin wants to commit now we kinda have to take him in case Nolley falls through like Kofi

Reaction Score

The tweet above was deleted. I don’t know if it’s related to this. Or if this is for Nolley or Martin.

Edit: Starting to think we’ve got Nolley, and that we would pursue Martin because we don’t feel confident a reclass is gonna happen. Still hoping for a reclass though. Martin is just going too quickly and Nolley not quick enough. Preferably Nolley would’ve committed by now and we could focus on a reclass since we wouldn’t need Martin. Since Martin wants to commit now we kinda have to take him in case Nolley falls through like Kofi

I hope he knows something. Of course, I never know what some of the tweets mean.
ABF238A0-6B84-47BD-992B-77C2018F0CB1.jpeg

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I want him. Sign me up for a kid who rebounds well & plays with attitude

At this point, I want him too. He's got talent and is tough. I think Hurley is the right coach for him. Really wish he'd be eligible to play year 1 though; I guess we'll see there. Getting him and Nolley would give us a ton of versatility and options. If Sanogo reclasses and wants to come here too, we figure out a way.

Reaction Score
At this point, I want him too. He's got talent and is tough. I think Hurley is the right coach for him. Really wish he'd be eligible to play year 1 though; I guess we'll see there. Getting him and Nolley would give us a ton of versatility and options. If Sanogo reclasses and wants to come here too, we figure out a way.
Totally agree. Also we get 2 shots at a waiver between him and Nolley so better shot we get someone who can play. Also think that if we were to reclass a big, there would be someone who would spend a lot of time on the pine here.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I want him. Sign me up for a kid who rebounds well & plays with attitude
I think there are people here that want him. Big guards who can rebound and defend multiple positions don’t grow on trees. If Hurley wants him, I want him, he’s shown he has a knack for eyeing the right type of talent and getting guys who he wants to fill a role in his system. Imagine him putting up a stat line close to what he did last season, people would be thrilled with that. The only thing I don’t love is him having to sit out a year potentially, but it helps space out the classes. If we land Martin, hopefully either him or the last scholarship player will be able to suit up next season, we’ll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom