URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 5 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Ugh...this one is tough for me. Lots of negative reviews out there and not just from disgruntled Rhody fans. If I knew he was immediately eligible I'd be more OK with it, but with the uncertainty that surrounds the transfer rule, I really don't want to take this kid right now if he may need to sit (and take up a scholly). Only kid that's worth taking that risk on IMO is Nolley.

Honestly, I think the ideal scenario right now is to take Vaughn and Sanogo because we know they could play right away. I'm aware Sanogo is faaaaaaaaaaaar from a sure thing...but we don't even have a 2nd scholarship right now anyway. I'm hoping we push hard for Vaughn now and then go after Nolley or Sanogo if the additional scholarship does open up.

Reaction Score
Ugh...this one is tough for me. Lots of negative reviews out there and not just from disgruntled Rhody fans. If I knew he was immediately eligible I'd be more OK with it, but with the uncertainty that surrounds the transfer rule, I really don't want to take this kid right now if he may need to sit (and take up a scholly). Only kid that's worth taking that risk on IMO is Nolley.

Honestly, I think the ideal scenario right now is to take Vaughn and Sanogo because we know they could play right away. I'm aware Sanogo is faaaaaaaaaaaar from a sure thing...but we don't even have a 2nd scholarship right now anyway. I'm hoping we push hard for Vaughn now and then go after Nolley or Sanogo if the additional scholarship does open up.

I don’t disagree with anything you said. But I’m assuming the staff has a much better feel for whether or not another scholarship will open up than The Boneyard does.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that's not why my friend is saying we don't want him. My friend is a URI alum and fan but is a UConn fan above all. Says he's watched him play every game in a URI uniform and we absolutely do not want him. Again, not my personal analysis but it's coming from someone who is very familiar with his game.
But why? Did your friend think Martin has a bad attitude? Is he a ball hog? Did he get in trouble on campus? Just wanted some specifics.

But I'll say it again, I trust Hurley. He's shown he has an eye for talent and he looks for specific traits in his recruits. He knows Martin well from his recruitment and I'm sure he can ask Cox any questions about Martin and get an honest response. Bottom line, if Hurley wants him then I want him.

Reaction Score
But why? Did your friend think Martin has a bad attitude? Is he a ball hog? Did he get in trouble on campus? Just wanted some specifics.

But I'll say it again, I trust Hurley. He's shown he has an eye for talent and he looks for specific traits in his recruits. He knows Martin well from his recruitment and I'm sure he can ask Cox any questions about Martin and get an honest response. Bottom line, if Hurley wants him then I want him.

First off, I agree, I trust Hurley. If he offered the kid and is willing to bring him on then I don’t mind taking him.

My friend says he’s a low basketball IQ player. Does not play smart, can be careless, and takes a lot of bad shots.

Reaction Score
A URI perspective.
Yes...for whatever reason we’ve had a number of transfers out. While the volume is concerning, none of those transfers was expected to make an impact at anytime with the exception of Tyrese Martin. I think most URI fans find him to be frustrating. Sometimes he just doesn’t seem to care (that’s where the “too cool for school” post came from). He can throw lazy passes and is not strong with the dribble. He’s a little slow on defense and sometimes goes through the motions on offense. The last part is as much an indictment on Rhody’s sets as it is on Tyrese. That said, he is an athlete and does have skills. He can be a streaky shooter and has a nose for rebounds. Kid can jump through the roof. I have no idea how he would fit in with UCONN, but he definitely has the ability to be a Power 5 player. I’d say his play is analogous to J D Drew when he was with the Sox. He was very good, but his style of play always left you feeling like he could be better. Perhaps Hurley is the motivator he needs.

As for Hurley...I sense there are two camps at URI. The first feels like the school didn’t invest enough in the basketball team (practice facility , chartered planes, etc.) so don’t blame Danny for leaving. The second just felt betrayed by his departure and wishes him the worse. I’m sort of in the middle. I had no problem with him leaving...just preferred it would have been anywhere except PC or UCONN.

Reaction Score
Stats vs p5/top 70 kenpom opponents

0.5 ast
1.6 to
2.9 pf
0.8 stl
0.3 blk
40% fg
30% 3fg (4 attempts)
59% ft (3 attempts)
33 minutes

The stats are off. With 4 3fg attempts, % should be 25, 50, 75 or 100%. Likewise you can’t get 59% with 3 attempts.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
A URI perspective.
Yes...for whatever reason we’ve had a number of transfers out. While the volume is concerning, none of those transfers was expected to make an impact at anytime with the exception of Tyrese Martin. I think most URI fans find him to be frustrating. Sometimes he just doesn’t seem to care (that’s where the “too cool for school” post came from). He can throw lazy passes and is not strong with the dribble. He’s a little slow on defense and sometimes goes through the motions on offense. The last part is as much an indictment on Rhody’s sets as it is on Tyrese. That said, he is an athlete and does have skills. He can be a streaky shooter and has a nose for rebounds. Kid can jump through the roof. I have no idea how he would fit in with UCONN, but he definitely has the ability to be a Power 5 player. I’d say his play is analogous to J D Drew when he was with the Sox. He was very good, but his style of play always left you feeling like he could be better. Perhaps Hurley is the motivator he needs.

As for Hurley...I sense there are two camps at URI. The first feels like the school didn’t invest enough in the basketball team (practice facility , chartered planes, etc.) so don’t blame Danny for leaving. The second just felt betrayed by his departure and wishes him the worse. I’m sort of in the middle. I had no problem with him leaving...just preferred it would have been anywhere except PC or UCONN.
All the negatives come down to Hurley not being the guy over his shoulder...similar with Fatts since Hurley left...Martin can play and fill in nicely as a scorer, rebounder, and deep threat. People saying they rather have Sanogo and Nolley lol ya think? Why not throw Kuminga in there too

Reaction Score
Just to add to my previous comments, I’m not sure he would be a fit for UCONN, but he is a big loss for URI. Even as lethargic as he can look at times, he can shoot from three, has a knack for getting put backs and, often gets into the lane and takes decent shots that just don’t fall. I certainly had the potential to be an All A10 player as early as next year. And if he decides to give max effort, the sky’s the limit. Part of the problem though is it’s Fatt’s team and there is only one ball.

Reaction Score
If you're a fan of an A-10 team isn't it expected that if a coach does well he's going to leave? That's pretty much the expectation so how can any fan of an A-10 team feel betrayed by a coach leaving?

Reaction Score
If you're a fan of an A-10 team isn't it expected that if a coach does well he's going to leave? That's pretty much the expectation so how can any fan of an A-10 team feel betrayed by a coach leaving?

When the coach tells you this is his dream job and does nothing but talk about how “we are a family” and then leaves for his other dream job you can feel betrayed. I don’t personally feel that way, but was disappointed that he left. He was really building something in Kingston and to have him leave for one of our regional rivals hurt.

Reaction Score
When the coach tells you this is his dream job and does nothing but talk about how “we are a family” and then leaves for his other dream job you can feel betrayed. I don’t personally feel that way, but was disappointed that he left. He was really building something in Kingston and to have him leave for one of our regional rivals hurt.
Are we in the state next to you? Yes
Are we rivals? No

Reaction Score

A "regional rival"??

He left for a school with more national championships in the past 20 years than any other college basketball program.

Reaction Score

Cox called it his dream job in the hiring press conference. Hopefully it is and continues to be.
Hurley creates families in his program wherever he goes (St. Ben’s to Wagner to Rhody to UConn). If anyone feels betrayed, they never understood what he was talking about. There were always just a handful of jobs he would’ve left for, and many people knew what they were. UConn happened to be one of the few. Cox has most of what he needs to succeed. Get better at managing a roster and not missing on so many recruits (it’s not a great thing when a team can lose 10 or 11 players in two years and the justification is that the guys weren’t that good anyway), and URI will be fine. The Ryan Center is an amazing experience when it’s packed and the team is winning. The administration messed up after the 16-17 season, but there’s no reason they shouldn’t be a top 3/4 team in the conference most seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A "regional rival"??

He left for a school with more national championships in the past 20 years than any other college basketball program.

I am aware of the fact that they haven’t played each other in several years, but UCONN remains URI’s most common opponent. Also the schools are close enough so that many alumni know each other. Unfortunately that tradition is no longer because UCONN, with all their national championships would never play a home and home with URI. They wouldn’t even play URI at the Mohegan Sun.

Reaction Score
Cox called it his dream job in the hiring press conference. Hopefully it is and continues to be.
Hurley creates families in his program wherever he goes (St. Ben’s to Wagner to Rhody to UConn). If anyone feels betrayed, they never understood what he was talking about. There were always just a handful of jobs he would’ve left for, and many people knew what they were. UConn happened to be one of the few. Cox has most of what he needs to succeed. Get better at managing a roster and not missing on so many recruits (it’s not a great thing when a team can lose 10 or 11 players in two years and the justification is that the guys weren’t that good anyway), and URI will be fine. The Ryan Center is an amazing experience when it’s packed and the team is winning. The administration messed up after the 17-18 season, but there’s no reason they shouldn’t be a top 3/4 team in the conference most seasons.

Agree.

Reaction Score

Sanogo and Vaughn seem the better route right now, but having said that, none
of us know what Hurley is looking for in one or two transfers and we sure don't know how the class of 2021 looks so maybe he believes Martin would be better than anyone we'll bring in as freshman in 2021 and it will be worth having him sit out.
Could be scary for 2020 though with two guys already out and if Martin's not eligible we'd be back in the same situation as this year.

Reaction Score
The stats are off. With 4 3fg attempts, % should be 25, 50, 75 or 100%. Likewise you can’t get 59% with 3 attempts.
I hope this was some kind of attempt at a joke. If not, may god have mercy on your soul.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Sanogo and Vaughn seem the better route right now, but having said that, none
of us know what Hurley is looking for in one or two transfers and we sure don't know how the class of 2021 looks so maybe he believes Martin would be better than anyone we'll bring in as freshman in 2021 and it will be worth having him sit out.
Could be scary for 2020 though with two guys already out and if Martin's not eligible we'd be back in the same situation as this year.
Bring in Vaughn and Martin in case Martin needs to sit. Keep Mac in 2021 with all the uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom