URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 6 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that we officially have a 2nd open scholarship, I'm more OK with taking Martin. Looks like a hell of an athlete. I'm torn as to whether I'd prefer him or Vaughn and ultimately don't think I have a preference as long as Martin would be eligible to play right away.

Reaction Score
Now that we officially have a 2nd open scholarship, I'm more OK with taking Martin. Looks like a hell of an athlete. I'm torn as to whether I'd prefer him or Vaughn and ultimately don't think I have a preference as long as Martin would be eligible to play right away.
Yeah but if we take Nolley and Martin, we run the risk of the NCAA not passing immediate eligibility and both have to sit. I feel confident in Nolley. So that would leave me with either Vaughn or reclass.

Edit: anyways we have 2 scholarships open and whoever we get is a positive and I trust Hurley to select the best members for the team. Just personally I would prefer Nolley/Vaughn or Nolley/Reclass. But any addition is a good addition with who were recruiting.

Reaction Score

This is the only real video I can find of him.

After skimming a few pages on the URI fan site the biggest knocks on him seem to be poor passing when he did occasionally pass it, unwillingness to give the ball up, taking plays off and his demeanor.
But, with so many players leaving and the team's swoon in the second half of the year, and the fans saying the whole team played hero ball in the latter part of the year, maybe it's not all him and his attitude.

Reaction Score
After skimming a few pages on the URI fan site the biggest knocks on him seem to be poor passing when he did occasionally pass it, unwillingness to give the ball up, taking plays off and his demeanor.
But, with so many players leaving and the team's swoon in the second half of the year, and the fans saying the whole team played hero ball in the latter part of the year, maybe it's not all him and his attitude.

Cox has had what, 12 transfers and decommits in 2 years? All while being kenpom #65 from the A freaking 10. That's a good basketball team and they're still losing dudes left and right.

If you're ever going to ignore rumors about any of those players, this is the time to do it. Something is clearly up over there.

Reaction Score
Rarely works out when you pick a coach to keep a recruiting class together and the players happy.

see Larry Coker, Miami Football has never been the same since Butch Davis left.

cox has been a really good recruiter over the years I wonder if he’s better suited to be an assistant. He had two stud guards a really solid forward in Langevine and one of URI’s best recruiting classes ever (I’d imagine) and couldn’t do much with it.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
So he said he’s deciding within the next few days, how we feelin?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rarely works out when you pick a coach to keep a recruiting class together and the players happy.

cox has been a really good recruiter over the years I wonder if he’s better suited to be an assistant. He had two stud guards a really solid forward in Langevine and one of URI’s best recruiting classes ever (I’d imagine) and couldn’t do much with it.
did he have a winning season?

Reaction Score

I think that’s underselling Dave, at least for now. Certain coaches get unfairly marked as being just recruiters, but I don’t think that’s fair to him just yet. He needs to get better at recruiting and retaining players in his new role. He inherited the players you referenced (Fatts, Dowtin, Langevine), who have done most of the heavy lifting. Toppin and Walker are probably the best players who have come in under him. Former ECU guy Jeremy Sheppard could work out for them. The Mitchells are a risk but probably one worth taking.

Reaction Score
I think that’s underselling Dave, at least for now. Certain coaches get unfairly marked as being just recruiters, but I don’t think that’s fair to him just yet. He needs to get better at recruiting and retaining players in his new role. He inherited the players you referenced (Fatts, Dowtin, Langevine), who have done most of the heavy lifting. Toppin and Walker are probably the best players who have come in under him. Former ECU guy Jeremy Sheppard could work out for them. The Mitchells are a risk but probably one worth taking.
Yes no inside info Looking that way early. Sheppard is a stud was trying to get staff to look at him. Really efficient, great passer. Saw him many times live.

Reaction Score
With the new of Vaughn today and Martin saying a couple days he would make a decision and that was Thursday. Maybe today we will hear something?? Hopeful

Reaction Score
He broke down his options for ZAGSBLOG:
Oregon: “They love me and have a vision for me and my future.”
Georgia: “A vision to play a crucial role to the program as soon as I get to campus.
Seton Hall: “They expect me to have an impact when it’s time to play and not far from home.”
Ole Miss: “Beautiful campus, coaches love me, dominant role.”
UConn: “Great relationship with Hurley, impactful role.”

dominant role > crucial role > impactful role

if he wants to be a starter it sounds like his best bets are ole miss and georgia and he knows it...

edit-since the quote ole miss has signed vaughn

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He broke down his options for ZAGSBLOG:
Oregon: “They love me and have a vision for me and my future.”
Georgia: “A vision to play a crucial role to the program as soon as I get to campus.
Seton Hall: “They expect me to have an impact when it’s time to play and not far from home.”
Ole Miss: “Beautiful campus, coaches love me, dominant role.”
UConn: “Great relationship with Hurley, impactful role.”

dominant role > crucial role > impactful role

if he wants to be a starter it sounds like his best bets are georgia and old miss and he knows it...

You're reading too much into this. Way too much.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
BPM has this kid on a similar impact level as Adams.

Why is he leaving uri? He’s not going to be the star on this team. He hasn’t been as good as vitals worst season (yet).

Reaction Score
BPM has this kid on a similar impact level as Adams.

Why is he leaving uri? He’s not going to be the star on this team. He hasn’t been as good as vitals worst season (yet).
Kids transfer for all sorts of different reasons and he's clearly had more of an impact than Adams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Kids transfer for all sorts of different reasons and he's clearly had more of an impact than Adams.

2.1 bpm to 1.8.

It’s a small difference. A similar level, if you will...

He’s depth. If he’s starting something has probably gone wrong.

Reaction Score
2.1 bpm to 1.8.

It’s a small difference. A similar level, if you will...

He’s depth. If he’s starting something has probably gone wrong.

If he plays more than 10 minutes, something has probably gone wrong.

Reaction Score
Trust in Hurley but I’m of the opinion that if we get Nolley there isn’t need for another guard/wing. Also Martin doesn’t add enough to me to be worth any potential chemistry issues from an attitude/playing time perspective. However, Hurley knows him the best so if we get him I’ll be happy

Reaction Score
You guys are a little crazy he’d be a nice piece. Of course he has to want to be a piece for that to work. But can’t sneeze at 7 rebounds nor his athleticism. Don’t know enough but I’d be fine with it despite Vaughn being my preference.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
given the transfer rule news it now seems clear martin was always a backup plan for nolley. therefore, given martin's decision-making timeline of "a couple days" (as of 4/2) i dont see how we're in a position to accept his potential commitment while still pursuing nolley. always sucks when plans B and C make up their minds before plan A.
We wouldn’t offer a kid unless we were prepared to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom