URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 13 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Tapes show highlights...not weaknesses. I would much rather get an immediately eligible player for this year and then get a good freshman for 2021.

There’s full game tapes... even included in this thread.. but yeah add the immediately eligible to the 5star/top 50/ 2020 eligible list of rathers. Those rathers are obvious to everyone including the staff who is offering and communicating with all of em.

Reaction Score
Wanted to chime in as a Rhody fan. I'm a season ticket holder and I know his game well.

Positives: In my opinion, he is a great athlete and very good rebounder. I like his swagger on the court. He has the ability to get hot and take over the game offensively. He can post up smaller guards and has a nice touch around the hoop. He can hit the three and his form is improving.. He did miss a lot of bunnies, but his hang time is special and he can finish. He's a wing and a slasher, not a guard.

Negatives: His outside shot is streaky and he took a LOT of bad shots. I blame that on Coach Cox more than Martin. His ball handling and passing skills need a lot of improvement. He had many games were he had zero assists and a couple turnovers after playing 35 minutes. The weakest part of his game is his defense. Maybe under a great defensive mind like Dan he'll learn how to defend but guys ate him alive in the A10. I think he will have trouble defending in the Big East.

I think people are underestimating how involved Tyrese was in our offense. He took about 12 shots a game and got as many minutes as he could handle. He had the ball in his hands a lot and basically had the green light to do what he wanted... When he’s on he can be special.

As a Dan Hurley fan that wants him to make the final four I don't think Martin is the type of guy that will make a big difference. He'll be a solid piece for UConn.

Reaction Score
Wow, I did not think I’d see the day where I have to argue that RJ Cole IS a top talent and Martin is not. Also, do not consider landing one of Sanogo or Etienne a dream.

Regarding Martin starting, no chance. Zero. That’s kind of my whole point in wanting to pass on him. If Bouk leaves after next year, it’ll be Cole Gaffney Jackson Akok and Javonte Brown Ferguson starting. There is not a single player in that lineup that Martin would earn minutes over. He’d be a 7th or 8th man and that’s not worth spending a scholarship on, especially on someone who has to sit.

I don't understand some of your logic. We have 13 scholarships. If only a top 6 are worth spending schollies on, how do you fill your roster? Some players come to a school to be valuable rotation players because you can't recruit 13 stars or all but 5 or 6 want out due to lack of playing time. Guys like Giffey, Austrie, Ed Nelson, Gavin Edwards, help you win even if they spend most or all of their career coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't understand some of your logic. We have 13 scholarships. If only a top 6 are worth spending schollies on, how do you fill your roster? Some players come to a school to be valuable rotation players because you can't recruit 13 stars or all but 5 or 6 want out due to lack of playing time. Guys like Giffey, Austrie, Ed Nelson, Gavin Edwards, help you win even if they spend most or all of their career coming off the bench.

Not the point. We need a piece (or two) more for next season. If we are in good shape for Nolley, why would we spend the last remaining scholarship on a guy who can't play next season and wouldn't be a main piece the following year? It just doesn't make sense. We can get an immediately eligible player to help this year and then a freshman/transfer to play the role Martin would've played in 21-22.

Reaction Score
Not the point. We need a piece (or two) more for next season. If we are in good shape for Nolley, why would we spend the last remaining scholarship on a guy who can't play next season and wouldn't be a main piece the following year? It just doesn't make sense. We can get an immediately eligible player to help this year and then a freshman/transfer to play the role Martin would've played in 21-22.

I wouldn't sign two transfers who have to sit out next year either. So what makes you think that we're in good shape with Nolley. Yes, people post things on the internet, but you think they know what Hurley does? So if he signs Martin, either (i) he'd still take Nolley and thinks one will get immediate eligibility, or (ii) he's not confident he can get Nolley and is taking the bird in hand, or (iii) he likes Martin just as much.

You can only disagree with him on option (iii), although you have to recognize a sane person would put odds that your player evaluation is better than Hurley's as really low. Otherwise, your working assumption should be that the staff is working from more information about the alternatives than you are.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You can only disagree with him on option (iii), although you have to recognize a sane person would put odds that your player evaluation is better than Hurley's as really low. Otherwise, your working assumption should be that the staff is working from more information about the alternatives than you are.

Actually, @JimHurley has been pretty consistent in touting the scouting abilities of his “friend” above those of Dan Hurley.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What makes you think Nolley can play next season? He’s in the same boat as Martin, sit one play two.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I wouldn't sign two transfers who have to sit out next year either. So what makes you think that we're in good shape with Nolley. Yes, people post things on the internet, but you think they know what Hurley does? So if he signs Martin, either (i) he'd still take Nolley and thinks one will get immediate eligibility, or (ii) he's not confident he can get Nolley and is taking the bird in hand, or (iii) he likes Martin just as much.

I agree two sits is brutal (I don’t think you can count on akok playing at all, just be safe...but that’s also my nature).

i agree you need guys to fill the gaps on the roster/depth.

Martin as a grad transfer is far more appealing than a sit one option.

but if he comes, he provides boards that don’t happen with Polley on the floor, so it can work with those 2 as the 3/4 mix. Hopefully hes eligible day 1 and this becomes less of an issue.

now to find a stretch 4....

Reaction Score
I'll be pretty disappointed if we end up with Martin and someone like Johnson, instead of Nolley or Sanogo. I keep seeing our name mentioned with different transfers. This leads me to believe we're taking whoever commits first out of these kids. I hope I'm reading this wrong. I would be happy with either Martin/Nolley or Martin/Sanogo.

Reaction Score
now to find a stretch 4....

Thank you. Any type of 4. Sanogo and Etienne may be great long term projects, but we don't need a Center next year. If we go with Whalley, Carlton and Javonte Brown Ferguson, fine. It won't be our best position but we will be fine. We don't know we'll be fine at the 4. You have to work from the assumption Akok won't play next year, I don't like IW at the 4 (while we are better defensively we learned that we're better off being better offensively last year), we don't know how much Springs can give us and Polley reacted better as a 3 than a 4 the year before plus coming off an ACL tear he may not be the same player next year.

If Martin signs on today, take the best grad transfer 4 you can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What makes me think we’re in good shape with Nolley are the insiders and recruiting experts saying so. I don’t think they’re all wrong that we’re in a good place. But yes you are correct, my player evaluation is nowhere near as good as Hurley’s so I will put my faith in him. I don’t agree with him on this one but if he thinks he’s worth a scholarship then so be it.

What makes you think Nolley can play next season? He’s in the same boat as Martin, sit one play two.

I don’t think Nolley can play next season. That’s a big reason why I don’t want Martin. I think our priority should be Nolley. If he’s the priority why would we fill the last scholarship with another guy who has to sit?

Reaction Score
Lets see:

Recruiting two wings. One averaged 13/7/1 on 43% in the A-10 (Player 1), one averaged 16/6/2 on 37% in the ACC (Player 2). Both need to sit out a year.

Option 1: Turn down Player 1 in hopes of landing Player 2, who *just* cut his list to 11 schools, who also could just turn them all down and go pro, and who most likely will not elect to sit a year (has already sat 1)

Option 2: Take Player 1 now.

Anyone choosing option 1, please lay out a sane reason to do that if you are a head coach.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lets see:

Recruiting two wings. One averaged 13/7/1 on 43% in the A-10 (Player 1), one averaged 16/6/2 on 37% in the ACC (Player 2). Both need to sit out a year.

Option 1: Turn down Player 1 in hopes of landing Player 2, who *just* cut his list to 11 schools, who also could just turn them all down and go pro, and who most likely will not elect to sit a year (has already sat 1)

Anyone choosing option 1, please lay out a sane reason to do that if you are a head coach.

I think taking Martin is the better option for the reasons you listed, but I am sure that Hurley has a better grasp on what's happening for both players than anyone on a message board or twitter does. If he thinks Nolley is the higher-ceiling player and also thinks that he has very good odds to land him, then I would say that would be a good reason to lean towards Nolley over Martin.

I don't know that that is the case, but you're assuming that Nolley is leaning towards going pro instead of sitting out a year and unless you're friends with Landers, Hurley has a better feel for whether or not that is true.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think taking Martin is the better option for the reasons you listed, but I am sure that Hurley has a better grasp on what's happening for both players than anyone on a message board or twitter does. If he thinks Nolley is the higher-ceiling player and also thinks that he has very good odds to land him, then I would say that would be a good reason to lean towards Nolley over Martin.

I don't know that that is the case, but you're assuming that Nolley is leaning towards going pro instead of sitting out a year and unless you're friends with Landers, Hurley has a better feel for whether or not that is true.

Purely from the outside, Nolley already sat out his first year at VA Tech and has been listed in mock drafts for the better part of the winter. Hurley clearly has a better pulse than we do, but sitting for the second time in three years versus going pro doesn’t seem desirable.

Reaction Score
Lets see:

Can I add a caveat to option 1? If we pass on Martin and miss on Nolley, are we acting like there’s nothing else out there? It’s not an either or.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom