URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 12 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because fans are inherently reactionary, especially when a recruit leaves, just look at this board. To use your earlier example, do you trust 70% of this boards' opinion of Vital because they watch him more?

This is true. However, my friend is a bigger UConn fan than URI. He just goes to URI games because he's an alum and lives within 5 miles. He tells me Martin is not the type of guy to get UConn back to prominence. And I'm not going off his word alone. I've watched and read about him. Just can't get into it.

Reaction Score
What’s the alternative? Having 5-6 scholarships to fill in 2021?

The alternative is Nolley (which we seem to have a great chance at) and then either a grad transfer "big guard" or Etienne/Sanogo. That way we bring in an elite talent for 21-22 and also fill a need for next season.

Reaction Score
This is true. However, my friend is a bigger UConn fan than URI. He just goes to URI games because he's an alum and lives within 5 miles. He tells me Martin is not the type of guy to get UConn back to prominence. And I'm not going off his word alone. I've watched and read about him. Just can't get into it.
That's fair, nobody is saying he's going to lead us back to prominence though. I do think he's going to be a very good player from everything I've read about him and all the videos posted of him

Reaction Score
Again wouldn’t mind both Nolley and Martin, as long as we can clear out room for a potential reclass. With both Nolley and Martin, we can redshirt Martin or redshirt Polley

Reaction Score
The alternative is Nolley (which we seem to have a great chance at) and then either a grad transfer "big guard" or Etienne/Sanogo. That way we bring in an elite talent for 21-22 and also fill a need for next season.
Just to play devil’s advocate, if Nolley virtually visited yesterday the staff and him definitely had to have a discussion about everything. Possible thoughts didn’t align and that’s why we’re taking Martin?

Reaction Score
Think the goal is both Nolley and Martin, with the hope that at least one of them (if not both) gets a waiver to play next year. Sanogo is just way too much up in the air plus the possibility he also won’t reclass.

Reaction Score
My goodness. First of all I’m a fan of your posts. But Martin and Nolley are in no way comparable. Martin was an average player in the A-10 with questionable basketball IQ. Nolley averaged 15 and 6 as a freshman in the ACC.

Totally understand the disagreement. Nolley has one of the best offensive minded coaches in the country, and Cox essentially rolls the balls out. Nolley also took almost twice as many threes and had almost double the free throws. You have a bad VTech team, and nolley has the green light, and you have a really good URI team, and Tyrese was pretty disinterested.
If Hurley can motivate Martin (I think he can), and he can get to the line more and improve his handle, I really don’t think they are that far off.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to believe Nolley will never suit up in college again with the rule delay

If that's the case then I'm "more okay" with taking Martin. My bottom line has been Nolley should be priority #1 (I think everyone can agree on that), but we cannot fill both scholarships with guys who can't suit up. I'd settle for Martin and then one of Etienne/Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Just to play devil’s advocate, if Nolley virtually visited yesterday the staff and him definitely had to have a discussion about everything. Possible thoughts didn’t align and that’s why we’re taking Martin?
I thought this as well. But Martin announced that he would be deciding before the virtual meeting took place.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this isn't another Vaughn situation where we spend days writing him into our lineup and then he goes elsewhere

Reaction Score
That's fair, nobody is saying he's going to lead us back to prominence though. I do think he's going to be a very good player from everything I've read about him and all the videos posted of him
Exactly.

Every team needs to acquire talent and at the very least Tyrese Martin will be a guy who could be part of the rotation for two seasons.

If he signs here, then he wants to be here. I guarantee, if Martin transfers to UConn he'll be fired up to give it all he has.

You don't sign up to play at UConn and Dan Hurley unless you are ready to work your butt off for playing time.

Reaction Score
Last year the plan w/ Cole was for him to sit. I have an unconfirmed/validated suspicion that specifically Martin, they will try to get a waiver for. Some way, shape or form. I at least don’t think that anyone they’re going to just openly concede to the sit 1 w/ out attempting

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What’s the alternative? Having 5-6 scholarships to fill in 2021?

In a year with free transfers...

Reaction Score
It’s still not ideal. Adding 5-6 new pieces to any team is not a great starting point for a successful season
*whispers* we're adding (potentially) 5-6 new pieces to this years team (Cole, Jackson, Springs, Javonte Brown Ferguson, 2 transfers)

Reaction Score
*whispers* we're adding (potentially) 5-6 new pieces to this years team (Cole, Jackson, Springs, Javonte Brown Ferguson, 2 transfers)
Cole and Springs are really “new” pieces imo. As they’ve had a full year to be integrated to the team. One of our two transfers won’t play this year

Reaction Score
Cole and Springs have been with the team all year, I wouldn't consider them new pieces

Reaction Score
If that's the case then I'm "more okay" with taking Martin. My bottom line has been Nolley should be priority #1 (I think everyone can agree on that), but we cannot fill both scholarships with guys who can't suit up. I'd settle for Martin and then one of Etienne/Sanogo.
This isn’t settling. You’d be getting a consensus top 5 transfer and one of the top available high school players if Etienne/Sanogo reclass. UConn is competing against dozens of other high major programs for these guys, getting multiple players at the caliber of those guys during offseason recruiting would be a massive win.

Reaction Score
The reclass seems likely but from the little bit I've seen from posts here and on Twitter is we're behind Seton Hall and even Nebraska is a threat

That seems like an accurate depiction. I know they weren’t your words, but that’s not what I would call a “pipe dream.”

A lot of folks are speaking with certainty about players and decisions that few, if any, on here know much about.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I attended majority of URI home games this year and quite a few over the past 3 years and i feel even if I didn’t I’d be able to see that Martin can play. The fact your looking for a transfer to be the one to bring us back to prominence is questionable. We’d all rather have a top 50/ 5 star over a player but that’s not the full picture we’re dealing with here. If you think Martin isn’t a good pick up you gotta go to the tapes...with your friend

Reaction Score
I attended majority of URI home games this year and quite a few over the past 3 years and i feel even if I didn’t I’d be able to see that Martin can play. The fact your looking for a transfer to be the one to bring us back to prominence is questionable. We’d all rather have a top 50/ 5 star over a player but that’s not the full picture we’re dealing with here. If you think Martin isn’t a good pick up you gotta go to the tapes...with your friend

Tapes show highlights...not weaknesses. I would much rather get an immediately eligible player for this year and then get a good freshman for 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom