URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 11 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ll trust the guy who is making north of 2 mil a year coaching who has recruited Martin in the past over some jaded media type. Hurley wouldn’t waste a scholarship on him if he didn’t feel he would fit our ‘scheme’. Maybe, just maybe, Hurley valued Martin over Vaughn all along and Vaughn committed to Ole Miss once he heard UConn was going in a different direction. Timing reveals a lot. The timing of Sid, the timing of Vaughn, the timing of Martin. Let's keep our fingers crossed for Nolley. I would hope for news in the next few days. The longer it goes on the less likely it becomes.

Here’s the thing. Let’s say we get Martin AND Nolley. That means neither the “big guard” or big man needs for this year are filled. I’m sorry I don’t feel like getting Martin is worth missing out a need for THIS season. Ideally we’d lock up Nolley and then snag either a big guard or another big that can play immediately. If we land Martin I’d assume we’d still pursue Nolley. That means we’d have 3 scholarship players (Akok, Nolley, Martin) who are not suiting up for next season.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. Let’s say we get Martin AND Nolley. That means neither the “big guard” or big man needs for this year are filled. I’m sorry I don’t feel like getting Martin is worth missing out a need for THIS season. Ideally we’d lock up Nolley and then snag either a big guard or another big that can play immediately. If we land Martin I’d assume we’d still pursue Nolley. That means we’d have 3 scholarship players (Akok, Nolley, Martin) who are not suiting up for next season.
Having 3 guys not play next year isn’t ideal. That leaves a 17 year old and a guy coming off an ACL injury as your 9th/10th players. Maybe they do continue to pursue Nolley but it’s a risky move if he can’t play next season either. I’m fine with them taking Martin here, bird in the hand. Far from a guarantee Nolley would come here, not worth waiting around to find out and let other guys get away. Hurley gets the benefit of the doubt for the guys he wants to bring in until he proves otherwise... might make some sense to target a grad transfer to fill out the roster unless they can get a kid like Sonogo to commit. Wouldn’t feel great about going into the season with 10.

Reaction Score
Having 3 guys not play next year isn’t ideal. That leaves a 17 year old and a guy coming off an ACL injury as your 9th/10th players. Maybe they do continue to pursue Nolley but it’s a risky move if he can’t play next season either. I’m fine with them taking Martin here, bird in the hand. Far from a guarantee Nolley would come here, not worth waiting around to find out and let other guys get away. Hurley gets the benefit of the doubt for the guys he wants to bring in until he proves otherwise... might make some sense to target a grad transfer to fill out the roster unless they can get a kid like Sonogo to commit. Wouldn’t feel great about going into the season with 10.

Exactly. I’d almost rather pass on Martin, shoot for Nolley, then find something else if that fails. Nolley is the best pure player we are after, but I don’t see how we aggressively pursue him if we get Martin. Similar size, same position, both have to sit. Can’t bring in 2 guys with the same profile.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I’d almost rather pass on Martin, shoot for Nolley, then find something else if that fails. Nolley is the best pure player we are after, but I don’t see how we aggressively pursue him if we get Martin. Similar size, same position, both have to sit. Can’t bring in 2 guys with the same profile.
The thing that scares me is pursuing Nolley, not getting him, striking out on a reclass player, then your stuck with two grad transfers and potentially 6 scholarships to fill the following season (2 GTs, Tyler Phommachanh, IW, JC, JB). That’s tough, especially with everything going on in recruiting now. Guessing the thought here is, we need a guy who helps space out the classes and Martin is ready to commit. Gotta take it. Obviously a lot of people on here now really want Sanogo, he seems like a beast. That’d be a great get. If not him, getting a grad transfer seems to be the option. I’m a little surprised they haven’t been in on Jeriah Horne. He fits a need and is a pretty solid player, he’d be a nice piece for next season.

Reaction Score
The transfer market doesn't work in ideals. If you have a chance to grab a top talent, you grab it. Martin is just that. Sure, we would all love a big. But realistically, what big is out there? Sanago is a dream, probably a pipe dream. I will wait until we land Nolley before I fret about next year and the year after. So if your post is based on preferring Vaughn over Martin because he is "big" and can play next year, I will ask this. What type of impact do you really think Vaughn would have next year? My guess is marginal at best. Martin will start for us for two years.

Reaction Score
If one guy wants to make a decision and the other has a lengthy list and has said he won’t be deciding anytime soon and could also maybe decide to go pro if immediate eligibility doesn’t happen, I think that has to factor in to your decision making. Hypothetically speaking, of course. You can push guys to decide, but free will is still a thing sometimes (but that doesn’t mean they’re not trying to move along a decision timeframe).
Exactly what I referenced in the Nolley thread. Cannot gamble and miss at this stage of the rebuild. My preference would be Nolley, but if Martin is ready to commit, the two are close enough that you take Martin.

now go try and pull a rabbit out of a hat and get Adama and pray we have a seasons next year.

Reaction Score
The thing that scares me is pursuing Nolley, not getting him, striking out on a reclass player, then your stuck with two grad transfers and potentially 6 scholarships to fill the following season (2 GTs, Tyler Phommachanh, IW, JC, JB). That’s tough, especially with everything going on in recruiting now. Guessing the thought here is, we need a guy who helps space out the classes and Martin is ready to commit. Gotta take it. Obviously a lot of people on here now really want Sanogo, he seems like a beast. That’d be a great get. If not him, getting a grad transfer seems to be the option. I’m a little surprised they haven’t been in on Jeriah Horne. He fits a need and is a pretty solid player, he’d be a nice piece for next season.

I’d be shocked if we don’t land at least 1 non-grad transfer. That’s why I think Nolley and then either a grad transfer or Sanogo/Etienne is the best case scenario. That way we have a great talent sitting out a year and we also fill a need of a big man. I’d hate to lose out on Nolley because of Martin...

Reaction Score
The transfer market doesn't work in ideals. If you have a chance to grab a top talent, you grab it. Martin is just that. Sure, we would all love a big. But realistically, what big is out there? Sanago is a dream, probably a pipe dream. I will wait until we land Nolley before I fret about next year and the year after. So if your post is based on preferring Vaughn over Martin because he is "big" and can play next year, I will ask this. What type of impact do you really think Vaughn would have next year? My guess is marginal at best. Martin will start for us for two years.

Wow, I did not think I’d see the day where I have to argue that RJ Cole IS a top talent and Martin is not. Also, do not consider landing one of Sanogo or Etienne a dream.

Regarding Martin starting, no chance. Zero. That’s kind of my whole point in wanting to pass on him. If Bouk leaves after next year, it’ll be Cole Gaffney Jackson Akok and Javonte Brown Ferguson starting. There is not a single player in that lineup that Martin would earn minutes over. He’d be a 7th or 8th man and that’s not worth spending a scholarship on, especially on someone who has to sit.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if we don’t land at least 1 non-grad transfer. That’s why I think Nolley and then either a grad transfer or Sanogo/Etienne is the best case scenario. That way we have a great talent sitting out a year and we also fill a need of a big man. I’d hate to lose out on Nolley because of Martin...
Nolley and a reclassification is best case scenario. How realistic is that though? I trust Hurley knows that answer better than we do. Especially with how the roster may look in 2021 we cant afford to swing in miss on Martin/Nolley.

Reaction Score
Three things I like about Martin:
1. Hurley has wanted him twice. They must have a good connection and he must have a mentality that hurley likes otherwise I don’t think he would re-recruit him.
2. He rebounds well
3. He casually did 360 dunk in a game this past season. When is the last time a uconn player did that in a game? Rudy almost 15 years ago? That type of in-game athleticism is special and hopefully hurley can tap into other ways to get the best out of this athleticism.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Exactly, you add talent when you can...K.O. waited for recruits it certainly didn't work well....Take a look at the talent on the roster since DH. has become the coach the coach..Even if Martin has to sit out, which is likely makes practice so much more valuable...As of right now the roster is solid , with one more scholarship to offer...

Reaction Score
Rhody is the only D1 team in New England that I root for, partly because their recruiting doesn't really affect us.
Which means if they are on TV I watch them
My take on him was that I wished he was more aggressive offensively. While you can take that as a negative, the positive is that he has the talent to impact the game.

Let's also not dismiss the chance that he mentally checked out and decided to transfer at some point during the season

Reaction Score
Exactly what I referenced in the Nolley thread. Cannot gamble and miss at this stage of the rebuild. My preference would be Nolley, but if Martin is ready to commit, the two are close enough that you take Martin.

now go try and pull a rabbit out of a hat and get Adama and pray we have a seasons next year.

My goodness. First of all I’m a fan of your posts. But Martin and Nolley are in no way comparable. Martin was an average player in the A-10 with questionable basketball IQ. Nolley averaged 15 and 6 as a freshman in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Watched all of the full games I could find.

1. He is not a guard. He is not a swing. He is a wing. 100%. He can't dribble with his right hand (but shoots righty), which made it tough for him to go 1v1 to the rim. Tough rebounder... seems to take pride in it.

2. He seemed really disengaged on both ends of the court at times. It was the Fatts and Dowtin show down there, and I'm just not sure how he fit in. I would be a little miffed too. Plays weren't really run for him much at all, which made it tough to find an offensive identity, especially at the rim.

3. I think he has the potential to be a nasty, versatile defender. He has prototypical wing size, solid athleticism and moves really well laterally. With his size/strength he could guard 1-4 if he puts his mind to it. Made some really, really impressive plays when he was engaged. He needs to change his mentality--I think Hurley can bring that out.

4. His shot is definitely improving from HS. Setpoint and release are smoother... trending in the right direction. Still has wonky hand position on the ball.
He's definitely a wing.

It's pretty obvious why he wants to leave Kingston. Some Rhody fans thought he would be their go to guy this past season but that was impossible with how ball dominant Fatts is and how Cox used him. This kid can play.

Reaction Score
Wow, I did not think I’d see the day where I have to argue that RJ Cole IS a top talent and Martin is not. Also, do not consider landing one of Sanogo or Etienne a dream.

Regarding Martin starting, no chance. Zero. That’s kind of my whole point in wanting to pass on him. If Bouk leaves after next year, it’ll be Cole Gaffney Jackson Akok and Javonte Brown Ferguson starting. There is not a single player in that lineup that Martin would earn minutes over. He’d be a 7th or 8th man and that’s not worth spending a scholarship on, especially on someone who has to sit.
Martin is a top talent in the transfer market. Goodman has him ranked third to Nolley's second. The rest is subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine. Time will tell although I do think you are far off on your projection.

Reaction Score

Why is Sanogo a pipe dream? Is that based on anything, or is it an assumption? It’s an honest question. The last I heard was that he’s still considering a reclassification and that we’re one his top few options.

Reaction Score
Why is Sanogo a pipe dream? Is that based on anything, or is it an assumption? It’s an honest question. The last I heard was that he’s still considering a reclassification and that we’re one his top few options.
The reclass seems likely but from the little bit I've seen from posts here and on Twitter is we're behind Seton Hall and even Nebraska is a threat

Reaction Score
Martin is a top talent in the transfer market. Goodman has him ranked third to Nolley's second. The rest is subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine. Time will tell although I do think you are far off on your projection.

So now we care about Goodman's opinion :D:D

Reaction Score
He's definitely a wing.

It's pretty obvious why he wants to leave Kingston. Some Rhody fans thought he would be their go to guy this past season but that was impossible with how ball dominant Fatts is and how Cox used him. This kid can play.
and you can absolutely play Martin and Nolley at the same time if we are ever so lucky.

Reaction Score
I care about his opinion a little bit more than your URI friend's opinion
Why? He's never played high level basketball, he's not a recruiting expert, and I bet you he's watched Tyrese Martin play infinitely less than whoever his friend is.

Reaction Score

He’d be a 7/8 man because of the talent in the team. He’d be a damn good 7/8 man

Reaction Score
Why? He's never played high level basketball, he's not a recruiting expert, and I bet you he's watched Tyrese Martin play infinitely less than whoever his friend is.
Because fans are inherently reactionary, especially when a recruit leaves, just look at this board. To use your earlier example, do you trust 70% of this boards' opinion of Vital because they watch him more?

Reaction Score
I care about his opinion a little bit more than your URI friend's opinion

Yes I care more about clown Goodman's opinion over my friend who has attended every home game of Martin's career :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He’d be a 7/8 man because of the talent in the team. He’d be a damn good 7/8 man

He might be a good 7/8 man but are we willing to wait for a guy to sit out a year to come in and be a 7/8 guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom