URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 14 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Totally understand the disagreement. Nolley has one of the best offensive minded coaches in the country, and Cox essentially rolls the balls out. Nolley also took almost twice as many threes and had almost double the free throws. You have a bad VTech team, and nolley has the green light, and you have a really good URI team, and Tyrese was pretty disinterested.
If Hurley can motivate Martin (I think he can), and he can get to the line more and improve his handle, I really don’t think they are that far off.

I sure hope you are right. There’s nothing I’d like more than to be wrong on this guy.

On the other hand, I can’t believe I have to defend the guy who several have said was the best player in practice all year (RJ Cole) and tamper expectations for a guy who was average at URI:p:p Love the boneyard

Reaction Score
Give me Nolley and Sanogo and all is good in the world.
we get it you want nolley and sonogo. but youre starting to sound like a spoiled kid stamping their feet.

@businesslawyer is right. if Hurley signs Martin, either (i) he'd still take Nolley or (ii) he's not confident he can get Nolley and is taking the bird in hand

sorry to break it to you but our roster isn't going to be exclusively 5 and 4 star players. Taking Martin helps the bench and ensures we don't have to fill 6 schollys next year. Those are important considerations too

Reaction Score
we get it you want nolley and sonogo. but youre starting to sound like a spoiled kid stamping their feet.

@businesslawyer is right. if Hurley signs Martin, either (i) he'd still take Nolley or (ii) he's not confident he can get Nolley and is taking the bird in hand

sorry to break it to you but our roster isn't going to be exclusively 5 and 4 star players. Taking Martin helps the bench and ensures we don't have to fill 6 schollys next year. Those are important considerations too

Wasn't Martin a 4-star recruit?

Reaction Score

I’m just gonna trust whatever Hurley decides. One of my points has been we can get a better player in the class of 2021. So even if we miss Nolley I wouldn’t sweat on missing Martin. But again Hurley’s call. I just don’t know why we’re gonna give a scholarship to a guy who can’t help this season when we need it and isn’t expected to be a focal point of the team the following year. Nolley is the exception. Nolley would likely have to sit but he’d be a top 2 player when he’s ready to play. Can’t say the same about Martin, not even close. BUT, in Hurley we trust. The man knows what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
I sure hope you are right. There’s nothing I’d like more than to be wrong on this guy.

On the other hand, I can’t believe I have to defend the guy who several have said was the best player in practice all year (RJ Cole) and tamper expectations for a guy who was average at URI:p:p Love the boneyard

Worst case scenario he's a better Brendan Adams (he's same class and already better and has more athletic potential) that we have for his senior and 5th years. Best case scenario he's Denham Brown that we get for his junior and senior years.

Either scenario sounds good to me.

Reaction Score
So is Martin like a Brendan Adams type dude ? seems we could do better than that - no? With all these transfers out there shouldnt we be expecting a bit more ? I’m seriously just asking though I have no idea

Reaction Score
He had a game last season where he put up 24 pts and 16 rebounds on 55% shooting. If that’s indicative of his potential, and he did that in a system that many seem to agree wasn’t a fit for him, then count me as bullish on his talent and ability
That was his best game all year. It was against a very weak Fordham team, but he was red hot. If he can be more consistent he'll play a lot for you guys.

Reaction Score
Worst case scenario he's a better Brendan Adams (he's same class and already better and has more athletic potential) that we have for his senior and 5th years. Best case scenario he's Denham Brown that we get for his junior and senior years.

Either scenario sounds good to me.

My issue is we’d be giving up a scholarship for this season for a Brendan Adams type (and I like Adams) player. We cannot afford to suit up 10 healthy guys again.

Reaction Score
So is Martin like a Brendan Adams type dude ? seems we could do better than that - no? With all these transfers out there shouldnt we be expecting a bit more ? I’m seriously just asking though I have no idea
Martin is better than Brendan Adams

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

In the absolute worst case scenario, yes.

People are playing down his abilities to stir up trouble and try and pretend that they're "insiders."

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Nolley's better than Martin but I can't imagine there's a big enough talent gap there to risk turning away Martin when Nolley's list is still at 11. I get that Nolley averaged 15 a game in the ACC but that was also on a team with few other scoring options and he wasn't exactly super efficient. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him, I think he's the best available transfer out there, but it's not like Martin is a scrub. He averaged 14 and 7 in a high midmajor conferece, not all that far off from the AAC. He's got good size and athleticism and clearly Hurley has identified him as a guy who can fill a role in his system. If Nolleys list were shorter and we had a better idea of what he was doing maybe you could wait on Martin but the odds are we're not gonna get a Nolley decision for awhile and we can't afford to strike out this summer.

Reaction Score

He was ranked around 220-230 but it's been reported that he was thought to be under the radar and much better than that. Hurley thought he was a diamond in the rough who was much more talented than his ranking. His athleticism is off the charts and he's been a very solid performer for a program who has performed similarly to UConn over the past 2 years. His numbers have been better than Adams over the last two years, and we all value him as a solid piece to our puzzle.

Reaction Score
Obviously, it doesn't matter now, but
Martin was #220 in 247 composite for 2018 .888
Nolley was #67 .9752
Alan Griffin was #185 .9038
Brendan Adams was #178 .9105

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors