Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
Hey, FSU could be our knight in shining armor. If they manage to blow up the ACC we have a very good chance of inviting the leftovers to the Big East for BBall and then forming a separate unaffiliated league for football. Not the greatest, but better than now. It would be a great basketball conference (addition of Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, Syr, Pitt, ND, Ville, etc.
But back on the track: please get better Billy.
I wouldn't be mad.

Reaction Score
Hey, FSU could be our knight in shining armor. If they manage to blow up the ACC we have a very good chance of inviting the leftovers to the Big East for BBall and then forming a separate unaffiliated league for football. Not the greatest, but better than now. It would be a great basketball conference (addition of Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, Syr, Pitt, ND, Ville, etc.
But back on the track: please get better Billy.

Most of those schools would try to get a Big 12 invite first.

Reaction Score
Compensation should be merit based. If you win a major bowl or NCAA title in any sport, that institution should receive funds based on that achievement.

Have a baseline that every school receives and then leave a certain percentage of the table and incentivize the remainder.

Have it reset every few years in case schools get complacent and become bottom feeders.

Reaction Score

-> In an interview this past week with Warchant, Alford said the university will continue to push ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips and the other schools for uneven revenue sharing — with football powers like Florida State and Clemson receiving greater financial distributions than others in the conference — and also encourage the league to find other ways to close the widening revenue gap with the Southeastern Conference and Big Ten.

Alford confirmed those will be “hot topics” when league officials get together in the small beach town north of Jacksonville.

I make no bones about it that we’re the top brand in the conference,” Alford said. “And when you look at how they measure media contracts, with households, viewership and championships, we’re driving that viewership for our conference at a high rate. “There are a couple schools that are really driving that media contract.” <-

Reaction Score

-> In an interview this past week with Warchant, Alford said the university will continue to push ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips and the other schools for uneven revenue sharing — with football powers like Florida State and Clemson receiving greater financial distributions than others in the conference — and also encourage the league to find other ways to close the widening revenue gap with the Southeastern Conference and Big Ten.

Alford confirmed those will be “hot topics” when league officials get together in the small beach town north of Jacksonville.

I make no bones about it that we’re the top brand in the conference,” Alford said. “And when you look at how they measure media contracts, with households, viewership and championships, we’re driving that viewership for our conference at a high rate. “There are a couple schools that are really driving that media contract.” <-
I'm loving this:

And, as Alford pointed out, the Big 12 Conference’s recently renegotiated television contract will be up for bid again following the 2030-31 season.

The fact that in-state school UCF is now joining that league is not lost on Alford.

“If you look at the revenue projections, they should have a better agreement than we have by going out to market,” he said. “That means there’s going to be another school in the state that’s going to have a better agreement than Miami and us. And that’s just not acceptable to us.”

Reaction Score

Alford says:

“All 20 sports — we fund them to win championships. Not all schools in the country do that. They pick and choose and prioritize sports. Right now, we’re funding them all to go win championships. And that’s something we want to continue to do.”

My answer:

Reaction Score
Compensation should be merit based. If you win a major bowl or NCAA title in any sport, that institution should receive funds based on that achievement.

Have a baseline that every school receives and then leave a certain percentage of the table and incentivize the remainder.

Have it reset every few years in case schools get complacent and become bottom feeders.

This is the model that makes the most sense, reward excellence. I know it's easy to say that Clemson deserves the most money in the ACC, but that could quickly change. The distribution model should be flexible to account for changes in the pecking order.

Reaction Score
This is the model that makes the most sense, reward excellence. I know it's easy to say that Clemson deserves the most money in the ACC, but that could quickly change. The distribution model should be flexible to account for changes in the pecking order.
We will see that model in college sports when hell freezes over. The model continues to move in the exact opposite direction. BCS to Power 5, Power 5 to effectively a Power 2, to possibly a break away of some schools from the NCAA. I just can't see it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm loving this:

And, as Alford pointed out, the Big 12 Conference’s recently renegotiated television contract will be up for bid again following the 2030-31 season.

The fact that in-state school UCF is now joining that league is not lost on Alford.

“If you look at the revenue projections, they should have a better agreement than we have by going out to market,” he said. “That means there’s going to be another school in the state that’s going to have a better agreement than Miami and us. And that’s just not acceptable to us.”
I don't think it's realistically possible to pay them enough to be competitive with the SEC schools under the existing ACC finances. If that is the case, that whatever you give them won't satisfy them enough to stay when the GOR lapses, why do anything for them at all?

Reaction Score
We will see that model in college sports when hell freezes over. The model continues to move in the exact opposite direction. BCS to Power 5, Power 5 to effectively a Power 2, to possibly a break away of some schools from the NCAA. I just can't see it.

I keep hearing about this movement to two conferences and a break away....that is something I will believe when I see it. Currently power conferences are expanding, and more schools (Houston, UCF) are becoming power schools. San Diego State and SMU may soon join a power conference.

To date the only former power teams downgraded by the reshuffling have been UCONN and USF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I keep hearing about this movement to two conferences and a break away....that is something I will believe when I see it. Currently power conferences are expanding, and more schools (Houston, UCF) are becoming power schools. San Diego State and SMU may soon join a power conference.

To date the only former power teams downgraded by the reshuffling have been UCONN and USF.
True but the money is flowing up not down.

Reaction Score

It's pretty funny to see FSU's AD getting big mad over a deal that they willingly signed on for with the rest of their conference mates. If I'm one of the other schools in the ACC, I wouldn't agree to give FSU, Clemson or anybody even one penny more than what I'm making unless they agree to extend The GOR even longer. Nothing is going to keep FSU or Clemson in the league when the current GOR expires. Why should they pay them more now when they're leaving anyway?

Reaction Score
The schools moving up are making the P5 become a P2 and Middle 3.

Oklahoma, Texas, USC and UCLA expand the money and power of the SEC and B1G.

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and whoever the PAC adds are simply backfill that keeps the Big 12 and PAC in business, but does not replace what was lost.

Are the G5 schools in better position for having moved up? Absolutely. But they are still a rung below the SEC and B1G.

At this point, the only question is will the best of the rest in the PAC and ACC after 2036 join forces to form 1 middle conference or will all 3 stay separate and just add more G5 schools? Either way, the power and money separating them from the top rung of the B1G and SEC will only grow larger.

Reaction Score
It's pretty funny to see FSU's AD getting big mad over a deal that they willingly signed on for with the rest of their conference mates. If I'm one of the other schools in the ACC, I wouldn't agree to give FSU, Clemson or anybody even one penny more than what I'm making unless they agree to extend The GOR even longer. Nothing is going to keep FSU or Clemson in the league when the current GOR expires. Why should they pay them more now when they're leaving anyway?
Who is FSU?

Reaction Score
The schools moving up are making the P5 become a P2 and Middle 3.

Oklahoma, Texas, USC and UCLA expand the money and power of the SEC and B1G.

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and whoever the PAC adds are simply backfill that keeps the Big 12 and PAC in business, but does not replace what was lost.

Are the G5 schools in better position for having moved up? Absolutely. But they are still a rung below the SEC and B1G.

At this point, the only question is will the best of the rest in the PAC and ACC after 2036 join forces to form 1 middle conference or will all 3 stay separate and just add more G5 schools? Either way, the power and money separating them from the top rung of the B1G and SEC will only grow larger.

Conference revenue is not the determining factor when deciding if a conference is a "power conference", having an auto-bid seat in the playoffs starting next year is the determining factor. The G5 conferences have to share one bid.

Until the PAC 12, ACC, or B12 lose their auto-bid they are a power conference. Do you think revenue was a factor when TCU clobbered Michigan last year?

Reaction Score
Conference revenue is not the determining factor when deciding if a conference is a "power conference", having an auto-bid seat in the playoffs starting next year is the determining factor. The G5 conferences have to share one bid.

Until the PAC 12, ACC, or B12 lose their auto-bid they are a power conference. Do you think revenue was a factor when TCU clobbered Michigan last year?
It's just a perception thing. There's no official organization that bestows power status upon a conference. The NCAA for example does not maintain an official list of who's in and who's out. The term was coined by the media - ESPN was first to use it I believe - during the BCS. You can use whatever metric you like, but once the dust settles, everyone is going to look at the lineup of brands in the B1G and $EC and give them some moniker that differentiates them from everyone else just as was done for the soon to be defunct P5.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hi- I’m with the AD’s office from [Syracuse, Pitt, BC], are there meetings going on that we should be a part of?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Well that is spicy indeed.

No word if BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake and Duke had their own secret meetings; ha!

I will assume GT and Louisville have been soundly asleep during all of this. I don't really consider ND as concerned with any of this.

The ACC chaos might serve to slow the B12 down post the P12 media outcome...table CRA another year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hi- I’m with the AD’s office from [Syracuse, Pitt, BC], are there meetings going on that we should be a part of?

Answer: "No" as he casually shuts the packed conference room door behind him.

Reaction Score
Well that is spicy indeed.

No word if BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake and Duke had their own secret meetings; ha!

I will assume GT and Louisville have been soundly asleep during all of this. I don't really consider ND as concerned with any of this.

The ACC chaos might serve to slow the B12 down post the P12 media outcome...table CRA another year.
Like the secret meetings BC had when they kept us out of ACC expansion?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom