Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
Imagine they go to uneven revenue sharing and then Wake wins the conference in year 1. FSU makes even less!

Animated GIF

Reaction Score
Scott posted..

I've heard that a few times.. but who would be the 8th vote... similarly ESPN could, if they chose, sue the members of the ACC for the costs it incurred as a part of setting up the ACC Network due to the breach of the agreement... similar it could also find damages for the costs incurred to fill empty lineup slots.

ESPN's contract was with the ACC...no contracts with individual programs...yeah, they could sue the ACC, but if the organization was defunct ?
I'd assume that the member institutions who voted to dissolve the ACC legal entity would still have liability for the impacts of that decision to ACC contractors and vendors.

Reaction Score
ACC optimistic about reaching agreement on new revenue model

The ACC's annual spring meetings began Monday amid reports that seven schools had lawyers examine the league's grant of rights, which allocates each team's broadcast rights to the league through the year 2036, and had discussed potential exit strategies.

Those reports were met with intense frustration inside the AD's meeting room, with multiple members admitting to raised voices and a few profanities exchanged that Miami's Dan Radakovich chalked up as "an airing of grievances."

"People had to say where they were and why do you feel that way," Radakovich said.

In the end, however, those frustrations helped to clarify the serious concerns that Alford, Radakovich and others have over the league's future, given a massive revenue gap with the Big Ten and SEC that projects to be as much as $40 million annually in the coming years.

Alford said Tuesday's discussions were "as open and transparent" as he'd experienced, and he believed the progress could mollify the larger revenue concerns for the foreseeable future.

The discussion of potential departures was "probably overblown," Alford said, with a number of other athletic directors, including at schools rumored to be among those looking for an exit, saying the reports were not substantive.

Reaction Score
Imagine they go to uneven revenue sharing and then Wake wins the conference in year 1. FSU makes even less!

Animated GIF

The agreement should be that the highest ranked teams get the extra juice, so in your scenario Wake would be rewarded.

Reaction Score

-> Babcock declined comment on whether Virginia Tech and/or the seven schools together have met with other conferences. Why the reticence?

“The tough thing about being an AD in times of conference realignment, real or perceived, is there’s nothing you can really say that’s the perfect answer,” he said. “If you are undyingly loyal to your conference, which the ACC’s been great to us, then your fan base thinks (you’re ignoring reality). If you come out and say you want to keep your options open, you’re not exactly making friends in the room and with the commissioner.” <-

Reaction Score
Translation: "We haven't figured out a way out of the existing contract without paying exorbitant amounts of money, so we are going to bluff and see if we can get the conference to throw some more cash at us.
Bingo. "We looked at the BS ways to get out of the GOR discussed on YouTube and Twitter and turns out, they're BS".

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hope FSU or Miami on their way to a CFP slip up at BC or Syracuse and get knocked out of the playoff for that year. Poetic justice if no one gets those extra dollars.

Reaction Score
Miami Herald Q&A w/ Miami AD Radakovich.

Some pertinent comments:

Do you expect ACC schools to strike a new revenue distribution deal that would give a greater share of conference revenue to ACC schools that make the College Football Playoff and men’s NCAA Tournament? And are you in favor of that?

“The answer to both questions, I think, is yes. The presidents have a committee that they’re working through. I think there’s a lot of unanimity amongst the athletic directors that some type of success initiatives, success distribution should occur.”

But even if ACC presidents approve this new plan in the weeks ahead, Radavokich said implementation won’t happen this fall.

It’s “not going to happen for the ‘23 season,” he said. “It’s going to be the ‘24 season” because that’s the year the playoff expands from four to 12 teams.

Regarding the issue of schools bolting for conferences where they can make more money, FSU AD Michael Alford reportedly told FSU trustees in February: “We have to do something because we’re a brand. We’re a very important brand, and we drive the media value in this conference.”

Do you believe, regardless of whether you make the College Football Playoff, the same holds true for Miami? In other words, let’s say it was this past year when Miami finished 5-7. Do you believe UM would be one of the schools that deserve more because it is a brand, even if you don’t make the playoff?

“Yeah, I think it’s been shown previously that there are three or four schools — Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami — who really kind of move the brand awareness of the ACC forward over time and for different reasons.

“You could throw Duke in there for basketball for whatever the basketball number is akin to these days.

“But I think there are two different questions. No. 1: the media deal is harder to affect right now, because we have the contract with ESPN that runs through 2036.

“The success initiatives have nothing to do with your brand. It’s just, ‘Hey, what did you do?’ [in football and basketball?]

“And if you won, if you go to the Final Four, or if you go to the College Football Playoff, we’re going to take a little bit more of the distribution that comes from those sources and give that to the teams that participate.”

Alford said the Seminoles generate about 15 percent of the revenue that the ACC receives through media contracts, but receive only 7 percent of the distribution. How much of ACC revenue does UM generate? And do you believe that UM should receive that percentage?

“I don’t know how that metric was calculated. So I can’t, I wouldn’t even know how to begin to give you a number for the University of Miami. So, that was an interesting number.”

It reportedly would be financially crushing for a school to try to leave the ACC because of a grant of rights contract that allows the ACC to keep TV revenue of all schools (even any that leave the conference) through 2036. Do you believe the ACC’s grant of rights agreement is airtight without loopholes?

“Well, all I can say is that same grant of rights has been in other conferences, and no one has really challenged it. So not being a lawyer, I don’t know the tenets of it. But just being a lay person, it must be pretty good if no one has tried to challenge it.”

If the Big 10 or SEC calls you, would your interest be piqued?

“I’m not going to comment on that. We’re here to make the ACC as good as we can make it. That’s our charge. And that’s where we want to get to.”

Reaction Score
I'd imagine that one of the benefits of being an independent in Football is that you are not required to spend any time with pompous blowhards like the Director of Athletics at Miami, who in this interview basically dismisses Duke basketball as a "throw in" for purposes of conference valuation. Yet another reason to stay clear of the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think the third question of post #271 sums up the eventuality of college athletics. Payouts based on performance. Regardless of conference. Appropriate weight applied to each sport.
Everything would end up balancing out. Give decent credit for athletes in sports other than men’s football.
Our entire athletic department deserves major kudos for having us competitive in so many sports. A New England school top twenty in baseball? WOW.
There’s no reason a Mississippi St in the SEC should be making more than UCONN. Or Stanford in the PAC. Or Gonzaga for that matter.

Reaction Score
One of the problems UNC is going to face throughout this thing is that they're not as valuable without Duke and N.C. State. The ACC - and Tobacco road, specifically - is baked into their brand appeal in a way that would be difficult for other leagues to recapture. And unlike Texas and USC, they're lacking a dance partner that can pull their own weight.

Reaction Score
One of the problems UNC is going to face throughout this thing is that they're not as valuable without Duke and N.C. State. The ACC - and Tobacco road, specifically - is baked into their brand appeal in a way that would be difficult for other leagues to recapture. And unlike Texas and USC, they're lacking a dance partner that can pull their own weight.
Do you think UNC, Duke, N.C State and Va. Tech may make it to the B12?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom