Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
Do you think UNC, Duke, N.C State and Va. Tech may make it to the B12?

I used to think Duke and UNC would wind up in the Big Ten or SEC as a package deal with N.C. State and Va. Tech, among others, moving the Big 12. But I also assumed the PAC-12 was off limits until the Big Ten scooped up USC and UCLA, so I might not know much.

(I don't see Duke and UNC as a fit in the Big 12, and I'm honestly not sure the Big 12 would even want Duke - but it also could end up being their only option.)

Reaction Score
This may seem crazy - but I think Duke makes a good fit academically with the Ivy League. They have a very low acceptance rate and they have a smaller enrollment than Harvard.

Reaction Score
This may seem crazy - but I think Duke makes a good fit academically with the Ivy League. They have a very low acceptance rate and they have a smaller enrollment than Harvard.
I totally agree. But will Duke be okay with downgrading their sports? They may athletically have more in common with UConn, Houston and Kansas in basketball.

Or, if the PAC 12's Stanford and Cal merged with Duke, UVA, Tulane, Army, Rice, Navy, Air Force, and maybe UNC, as well as some other schools (maybe even UConn and Pitt) could there be a second Ivy League with stronger sports programs?

Reaction Score
Why would that seem crazy? It's already been a thing, in theory. No way the likes of Duke and Vandy will give up the money train now though.
Vandy, Duke, SMU, Emory, Rice, Tulane

"Duke did not want to give up its rivalry with the University of North Carolina, and SMU and Rice were not willing to give up their shares of revenue flowing from the then-lucrative Cotton Bowl Classic because of its tie-in with the Southwest Conference.[3]"

Reaction Score
There are a lot of good schools other than Duke that could've fit in with the Ivies but why would the Ivies need to add anyone?

Reaction Score
If the schools start paying players like this, teams outside the P2-5 are absolutely done for.

Where in the world is this money going to come from for them?
Paying players instead of building out facilities would be likely happen - at least initially. Good thing all of our facilities have been improved/newly built or are approved for such.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of good schools other than Duke that could've fit in with the Ivies but why would the Ivies need to add anyone?
Exactly. I think the best fits for the Ivy would be MIT and U of Chicago, but I think the Ivy is happy as is.

Reaction Score
The smaller brands will ultimately do as they are told, because being 2nd class in the ACC is better than the alternative. That said, someone will fight this once they realize the larger programs consider them 2nd class.

The first question: in which category do you place a post- Coach K Duke?
This is TX/OK in Big 12 2.0 maybe not quite as lopsided.

Eventually, those two schools are gone. I think you maximize your revenues now, and prepare for their departure because it’s a known certainty.

How do payouts currently work with bowl games and NC’s/playoffs? Does the conference split that money out evenly too.
I can see a very fair argument that monies earned in post season are not split evenly. Maybe 90/10 or 100% to the school.
That would make schools more accountable and more likely to invest in their program. Too easy for schools like BC to do the math and just take a check while Clemson earns the money.

Reaction Score
"The ACC has been and remains highly engaged in looking at anything that makes us a better and stronger conference," Phillips told ESPN. "We've spent considerable time on expansion to see if there is anything that fits. We have a tremendous group of institutions but if there was something that made us better, we would absolutely be open to it."

Reaction Score
The Ivies aren’t taking Duke or anyone else. They have their league, are happy with it and not one athlete gets on a plane for a league game/match/contest.

Nor is Duke interested in not competing for national championships in basketball. If one day they have to give up football and join the Big East, so be it.

Reaction Score
Curious this hasn’t gotten more attention from other conferences with unbalanced fb schools.

Seems obvious math is that conference shares all revenue generated from media deal equally. You can make some stipulations or adjustments but that seems to be foundation.

From there post season success in bb and football go to the school. Then the conference can do some math to collect a small admin fee (maybe 10-20%).

Schoools share in collective benefit of media deal and communal value. But, schools that do more, produce more, and earn more, get to keep more. I don’t see arguments against this, unless you want to basically say we are just happy collecting your check, thank you.

Such a crazy radical concept! I feel like I’ve seen something like this before though….

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Curious this hasn’t gotten more attention from other conferences with unbalanced fb schools.

Seems obvious math is that conference shares all revenue generated from media deal equally. You can make some stipulations or adjustments but that seems to be foundation.

From there post season success in bb and football go to the school. Then the conference can do some math to collect a small admin fee (maybe 10-20%).

Schoools share in collective benefit of media deal and communal value. But, schools that do more, produce more, and earn more, get to keep more. I don’t see arguments against this, unless you want to basically say we are just happy collecting your check, thank you.

Such a crazy radical concept! I feel like I’ve seen something like this before though….
Yes. Because the history is pretty clear. Go back to the 70s and every school negotiated its own deal. That was the landscape. None of them got squat. It wasn’t until they came together that the payouts started to go up. Exposure went way up.

So yes, Ohio State makes the same as Purdue. Is that fair? Well, Ohio State on its own would make even less. So yes. It’s what FSU and Clemson forgot along the way. The more mature programs realize this and don’t have an issue. Has Alabama complained about sharing with Mississippi State?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think they care about this one way or the other. They see others making more and want in.
Yeah, I agree. It’s probably not going to happen for them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes. Because the history is pretty clear. Go back to the 70s and every school negotiated its own deal. That was the landscape. None of them got squat. It wasn’t until they came together that the payouts started to go up. Exposure went way up.

So yes, Ohio State makes the same as Purdue. Is that fair? Well, Ohio State on its own would make even less. So yes. It’s what FSU and Clemson forgot along the way. The more mature programs realize this and don’t have an issue. Has Alabama complained about sharing with Mississippi State?
It would be naive to believe everyone connected to Alabama is happy with an equal share. If they could change the arrangement they would. Furthermore it is my opinion if the tables were reversed, that FSU and Clemson were making substantially more than Alabama, the rumblings would become more pronounced at Alabama similar to what we see with FSU and Clemson.

All we have to do is observe thread after thread to understand how human discontent or lack of contentment and dissatisfaction are primary driving forces. For instance the blue blood argument. Does the recognition of UConn’s mens bb program as a blue blood program by sports viewers really influence outcomes? If so how did we get # five? And yet it doesn’t stop people from “feeling” that the slight is important enough to reduce, in their minds, the outcome of that event. We want absolute recognition and acknowledgement by everyone of our success. We are dissatisfied with just our own satisfaction.

College sports has gone a long time without media payments. It could still exist without them albeit in a significantly reduced form. But once the genie was let out of the bottle the race was on to get a bigger and bigger share of the pie. To be the program that could claim it has the most monetary success. It’s a free for all and the only reason cooperation exists is because of necessity.

Now this is obviously the most cynical view of the college sports world. There are many examples of individual and institutional actions that are not of this nature. But they are still the minority.

We are going to destroy one of the best tournaments when the powerful universities leave the NCAA to form their own basketball tournament. I am appalled that will happen. And yet my preference is strongly in favor of joining the group which will create that outcome. Why? Because I want to see more success and I prefer it to come from the most prestigious college entity. No Helms Trophy for me.

So my attitude is part of the problem. Sure I can justify it as I’m sure most UConn fans will if we get the invite. We’d argue it was going to happen whether we joined or not and we’d be foolish to shoot ourselves in the foot because of “principles”. But those programs left out, and fans of those programs, won’t see it that way. Many of us will convince ourselves it doesn’t matter or worse we’ll laugh at them even as we hated those programs who preceded us in the conference realignment lottery when they laughed at our predicament.

When I rooted for the Red Sox I could not understand the mindset of Yankee fans when they went through a period of incredible anger and angst over a ten year period of not winning another championship after winning so many. As a Red Sox fan I suffered from not winning one and worse having the near misses.

And then teams I rooted for started winning. And suddenly I understood. I want to see number 12 and more from the women. I don’t need to see championships get distributed among more women’s teams. I want the men to get many more, and though I have some sympathy for the plight of @FriarJ or @kobe for their lack of success I wouldn’t lose an iota of sleep if UConn continued its separation from their programs. And I don’t hate myself one bit for this arrogant and selfish attitude. Which would have shocked me thirty years ago if I observed myself now.

So it’s my contention human discontent/dissatisfaction is one of the driving forces, for better or worse, that has propelled our species advancement with all its glories and warts.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
It would be naive to believe everyone connected to Alabama is happy with an equal share. If they could change the arrangement they would. Furthermore it is my opinion if the tables were reversed, that FSU and Clemson were making substantially more than Alabama, the rumblings would become more pronounced at Alabama similar to what we see with FSU and Clemson.

All we have to do is observe thread after thread to understand how human discontent or lack of contentment and dissatisfaction are primary driving forces. For instance the blue blood argument. Does the recognition of UConn’s mens bb program as a blue blood program by sports viewers really influence outcomes? If so how did we get # five? And yet it doesn’t stop people from “feeling” that the slight is important enough to reduce, in their minds, the outcome of that event. We want absolute recognition and acknowledgement by everyone of our success. We are dissatisfied with just our own satisfaction.

College sports has gone a long time without media payments. It could still exist without them albeit in a significantly reduced form. But once the genie was let out of the bottle the race was on to get a bigger and bigger share of the pie. To be the program that could claim it has the most monetary success. It’s a free for all and the only reason cooperation exists is because of necessity.

Now this is obviously the most cynical view of the college sports world. There are many examples of individual and institutional actions that are not of this nature. But they are still the minority.

We are going to destroy one of the best tournaments when the powerful universities leave the NCAA to form their own basketball tournament. I am appalled that will happen. And yet my preference is strongly in favor of joining the group which will create that outcome. Why? Because I want to see more success and I prefer it to come from the most prestigious college entity. No Helms Trophy for me.

So my attitude is part of the problem. Sure I can justify it as I’m sure most UConn fans will if we get the invite. We’d argue it was going to happen whether we joined or not and we’d be foolish to shoot ourselves in the foot because of “principles”. But those programs left out, and fans of those programs, won’t see it that way. Many of us will convince ourselves it doesn’t matter or worse we’ll laugh at them even as we hated those programs who preceded us in the conference realignment lottery when they laughed at our predicament.

When I rooted for the Red Sox I could not understand the mindset of Yankee fans when they went through a period of incredible anger and angst over a ten year period of not winning another championship after winning so many. As a Red Sox fan I suffered from not winning one and worse having the near misses.

And then teams I rooted for started winning. And suddenly I understood. I want to see number 12 and more from the women. I don’t need to see championships get distributed among more women’s teams. I want the men to get many more, and though I have some sympathy for the plight of @FriarJ or @kobe for their lack of success I wouldn’t lose an iota of sleep if UConn continued its separation from their programs. And I don’t hate myself one bit for this arrogant and selfish attitude. Which would have shocked me thirty years ago if I observed myself now.

So it’s my contention human discontent/dissatisfaction is one of the driving forces, for better or worse, that has propelled our species advancement with all its glories and warts.
definitely not reading all this.

enjoy the football games with umass and liberty in november and the games on fs1 for basketball that no one watches.

uconn will never be in the big 12. we don't want you guys, lmao.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom