Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
Making its rounds again…

-On July 1, a new media rights deal between the Big Ten and networks FOX, CBS and NBC will become active, paying out an average of $75 million to each of the conference’s member schools. In 2024, a new deal between the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and ESPN will pay its member schools a similar amount.

The payout of both leagues will be about $30 million more than the current revenue share being distributed to ACC schools, which has leaders from some of the conference’s top programs worried. <-

Reaction Score
More whining from ACC schools. I couldn’t believe it when they extended the GOR and media rights deal to 2036 just to get ESPN to create an ACC Network. The top brands in the ACC should have known better than to agree to that! Had that not happened, the GOR and media rights would have ended in 2026. The top brands would be free and in the clear to shop around right now. But they went for the added chump change revenue of the ACC Network in the short term, instead of looking at the big picture.

Reaction Score
The ACC schools are likely to self destruct not give more cash to FSU and Clemson. But a renewed ACC will be in place after that.

Reaction Score
More whining from ACC schools. I couldn’t believe it when they extended the GOR and media rights deal to 2036 just to get ESPN to create an ACC Network. The top brands in the ACC should have known better than to agree to that! Had that not happened, the GOR and media rights would have ended in 2026. The top brands would be free and in the clear to shop around right now. But they went for the added chump change revenue of the ACC Network in the short term, instead of looking at the big picture.
The ACC put itself in a box when they added BC and then shut the lid when they added Cuse & Pitt instead of UConn & Rutgers. Every move since then has been defensive whether it was giving Notre Dame their sweetheart deal or extending the GOR for an extra 10 years in trade for the ACC Network

Florida St, Clemson & UNC chose to commit to Cuse & BC for 20 years at a time when they could’ve jumped elsewhere. The fact that they’re bitching now is truly karma

Reaction Score
We all whine based on different circumstances....Yarders whine about getting screwed in realignment.

FSU folks for 20 years, have whined about the wine and cheese crowd of the ACC....and their unhappiness with the conference and Swofford.

But, saying that, I don't think that anyone expects major changes in revenue distribution. Somebody's oxe would get gored, and enough oxen for vote to fail.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FSU folks for 20 years, have whined about the wine and cheese crowd of the ACC....and their unhappiness with the conference and Swofford.
Perhaps the fan base should have whined a little louder. A decade ago you could have jumped to the B-12 but instead chose to use the threat of jumping (with Clemson) as leverage to improve your power position within the conference. You ended up exactly where you wanted to be, you just didn't anticipate what would happen in other conferences in terms of revenues and movement

Blame your school's leadership for believing that signing a GOR that will last until nearly 2040 was a good idea.

Reaction Score
Oh...we do blame the school's leadership..and President Barron who as an acadenic sniff stated that the faculty far preferred the ACC, publicly snubbed the B12, and then, shortly after, left to become the President of Penn State.

FSU has the "FSU Athletics Board"......

While primary responsibility and control of the intercollegiate athletics program rests with the President of the University, the Florida State University Athletics Board is responsible for providing periodic evaluation and oversight of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.

The University President appoints members of the Board. The Faculty Athletic Representative chairs the Athletics Board, which must have a majority of FSU faculty and administrators among those authorized to vote.

FSU would have joined the SEC in 1991 if the faculty and the President had not pressed for the ACC.

Reaction Score
We all whine based on different circumstances....Yarders whine about getting screwed in realignment.

But, saying that, I don't think that anyone expects major changes in revenue distribution. Somebody's oxe would get gored, and enough oxen for vote to fail.
We may whine, but we get to see our school, in it's main sport, continue to excel and not make excuses. We would take any life raft, but in the meantime you have to find ways.

Reaction Score
We all love our main sports...basketball schools love their basketball and football schools love their football.

FSU will continue to compete...#11 finishing last year and #3 in this year's ESPN's preseason rankings....We will see. Starting the season with #4 (reigning SEC West Champ) and playing #7, and it is still September. Good chance to play Clemson again in the CCG.

But realists worry about the new landscape of football and increasing costs to compete... Especially when programs are not on the same scale of revenue.

Reaction Score
But, you know, I enjoy following the softball team. The girls are good and don't give up. But this minor sport is not where the heart is. I watch soccer...it has been our family's sport for 40 years...but my heart isn't in it like football.

Reaction Score
We all love our main sports...basketball schools love their basketball and football schools love their football.

FSU will continue to compete...#11 finishing last year and #3 in this year's ESPN's preseason rankings....We will see. Starting the season with #4 (reigning SEC West Champ) and playing #7, and it is still September. Good chance to play Clemson again in the CCG.

But realists worry about the new landscape of football and increasing costs to compete... Especially when programs are not on the same scale of revenue.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a realist. I've been worried about increasing costs to compete for over a decade. I'm just not used to seeing school officials whine over the decisions they or they're predecessors made. Thats what i find odd.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm a realist. I've been worried about increasing costs to compete for over a decade. I'm just not used to seeing school officials whine over the decisions they or they're predecessors made. Thats what i find odd.

noey:

I don't find it odd at all that the AD brings up the subject and points out the Emperor's clothes. Everybody knows it but nobody was talking about it on the institution level.

The AD and the academics have different agenda's.

Maybe other schools do not have the involvement of the academics to the same degree.

"Barron saved perhaps his strongest words for academics. He says FSU faculty members are against joining the Big 12.

"The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker — and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2 percent ($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention from concerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25 percent of the academic budget ($105M) gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future."

(This was at a time when the legislature was proposing cuts across the university system)

Sooo...there are different dynamics between academia and athletics....the ACC has been good for FSU academically.

Maybe other major programs are not so influenced by their academic side...

AS Ohio State's President notoriously said...when asked in March 2011 whether the school had considered firing embattled coach Jim Tressel, a grinning Gee said: "No. Are you kidding? Let me just be very clear. I'm just hopeful the coach doesn't dismiss me."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The AD and the academics have different agenda's.
This is where it all begins and ends.

You may prefer the idea of FSU prioritizing athletics (football specifically) over academics but the fact remains that FSU is still a school and those in charge are (hopefully) acting in what they believe are the best interests of the school.

I believe you are s bit older than I am (I'm 62). You may remember when Tulane and Georgia Tech left the SEC due to believing they could not compete and maintain their academic status (this is often a challenge for smaller schools, especially when it comes to football). Schools make decisions like those periodically. The Ivies moved to a lesser level of football after WWII. The University of Chicago dropped football (and B-10 membership). FSU was a women's college at that time.

Where the problems lie as I see it are in the lack of consistent direction for your goals. You stated the importance of academics as a reason leadership gave on remaining in the ACC (when B-12 membership was a clear option) yet, your school threatened to leave for the B-12 if Louisville wasn't selected to replace Maryland. I imagine academics weren't the priority that weekend.

One important distinction between your plight and ours is that you are stuck where you are by decisions your school made while we are stuck where we are by decisions other schools made. This should not be minimized.

Reaction Score
This is where it all begins and ends.

You may prefer the idea of FSU prioritizing athletics (football specifically) over academics but the fact remains that FSU is still a school and those in charge are (hopefully) acting in what they believe are the best interests of the school.

I believe you are s bit older than I am (I'm 62). You may remember when Tulane and Georgia Tech left the SEC due to believing they could not compete and maintain their academic status (this is often a challenge for smaller schools, especially when it comes to football). Schools make decisions like those periodically. The Ivies moved to a lesser level of football after WWII. The University of Chicago dropped football (and B-10 membership). FSU was a women's college at that time.

Where the problems lie as I see it are in the lack of consistent direction for your goals. You stated the importance of academics as a reason leadership gave on remaining in the ACC (when B-12 membership was a clear option) yet, your school threatened to leave for the B-12 if Louisville wasn't selected to replace Maryland. I imagine academics weren't the priority that weekend.

One important distinction between your plight and ours is that you are stuck where you are by decisions your school made while we are stuck where we are by decisions other schools made. This should not be minimized.

Actually not really true...other than sports board gossip...FSU, Clemson, Miami, and VT just let it be known that football was the media paymaster and that they, as football schools, preferred that the ACC add a more football oriented school.

This was a time when Coach K thought he and Roy Williams ran the league

There is zero valid reference quoting a person from the institutions of FSU or Clemson saying that they would leave, or any other threat. As it sometimes happens, internet gossip becomes truth over time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I suspect is that ESPN gave the ACC valuations of proposed new adds.

Reaction Score
By the BY...and completely off topic...but I am very grateful that I have been allowed to partake of the fellowship of this board. I picture us as a group of guys who meet regularly to chat about sports. You get to know the others over a decade.

Right now, this board is an important link to the outside for me...I am being treated for pharyngeal cancer matastisized to the lymph nodes of the neck...chemo and radiation blasting....I have lost 35 pounds, am very weak, and haven't had nourishment outside of fluids in 3 weeks.

Two and one half weeks left to go in the regimen, maybe eat in a month when I can again swallow. I get fluid via IV bags twice a week and a liter of chemo by IV once a week, radiation every morning.

But...thank all yarders...good sports, rational discussions, and so very much appreciated.

Reaction Score
By the BY...and completely off topic...but I am very grateful that I have been allowed to partake of the fellowship of this board. I picture us as a group of guys who meet regularly to chat about sports. You get to know the others over a decade.

Right now, this board is an important link to the outside for me...I am being treated for pharyngeal cancer matastisized to the lymph nodes of the neck...chemo and radiation blasting....I have lost 35 pounds, am very weak, and haven't had nourishment outside of fluids in 3 weeks.

Two and one half weeks left to go in the regimen, maybe eat in a month when I can again swallow. I get fluid via IV bags twice a week and a liter of chemo by IV once a week, radiation every morning.

But...thank all yarders...good sports, rational discussions, and so very much appreciated.
Best of luck through your treatment and hope all goes well for you.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry to hear that. That is a tough treatment to go through. I wish you the best.

Reaction Score

Prayers for a complete recovery to you.

Reaction Score

Oh damn. Now i can't even dislike your pro FSU posts. Seriously, i wish you best with this. This is just sports talk, and you're a good foil for me as fan hating on schools already in the P5.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

A down payment on a hopefully fast and thorough recovery. Be well and stay strong!

Reaction Score

LMAO. UConn did get screwed in realignment. By any number of objective standards. FSU voluntarily elected to join a wine and cheese (presumably meaning not deep southern, and focused more on hoops than football) conference because it was better than where they were. Having made that choice, spending 20 years whining about it is just assinine. If you propose to and marry a fat girl, you have no right to complain that your wife is overweight.

Reaction Score

What I think of your posts at times is immaterial. I hope you get through the treatment as easily as possible, and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
Oh damn. Now i can't even dislike your pro FSU posts. Seriously, i wish you best with this. This is just sports talk, and you're a good foil for me as fan hating on schools already in the P5.
Hey, FSU could be our knight in shining armor. If they manage to blow up the ACC we have a very good chance of inviting the leftovers to the Big East for BBall and then forming a separate unaffiliated league for football. Not the greatest, but better than now. It would be a great basketball conference (addition of Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, Syr, Pitt, ND, Ville, etc.
But back on the track: please get better Billy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom