UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............ | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Why would you consider us anything but legit and on our way back, the Wildcats shot lights out and had to survive on a day we weren't very good. Our Huskies were much better end of the year and becoming the team we expect to compete mentally, physically and talent wise when they begin Big East play. These fans from the Big East coming here to let US know how much tougher the league was is too funny. We carried everyones butt for 20 years in the Big East we know better than anyone what it takes every day so relax Friar and Nova fans, we get it. :rolleyes: hahaha.....it is getting fun already!

im fine with nova gronk spiking right now while we’re down.

they have 2 rings since UConn’s last title.

but don’t pretend this program isn’t on the way back to the top.

Reaction Score
Uconn considering PC a rival is like a varsity team considering a middle school Y team its rival.
Guys, we are not the program we were 5, 10 or 20 years ago. We will get back there though. We have been stuck in a BS conference and have been an average team there.

Reaction Score
I was not from New England prior to attending PC and moved out of New England a long time ago, so no regional hatred for UCONN by me. PC basketball was in the dark ages prior to Ed Cooley's arrival. Ed has achieved everything I could have hoped for what was a dying program. He needs more success in the NCAA tournament, but I believe he'd admit that. It's undeniable that UCONN has achieved so much more in basketball the past 20 years than PC. I am just really excited for PC to get to play a team with such tradition as UCONN twice per year. I hope a mutually agreeable rivalry develops between both programs because I think it will be good for the Big East and New England basketball. Additionally, I am not sure how much Ed and Dan Hurley "hate" each other. I know they got overly emotional during games but my understanding was they both lived in East Greenwich and had an amicable relationship.

Reaction Score
We're just coming off our worst 3 year stretch in nearly 40 years with a great young coach who is bringing us back to national prominence. We're a national program who has won 4 of the last 21 national championships, Providence is a regional program who has won 1 tournament game in 21 years.

Re-emphasizing this sentence. That alone makes me omit that ankle-biter program as our rival.

Reaction Score
Why would you consider us anything but legit and on our way back, the Wildcats shot lights out and had to survive on a day we weren't very good. Our Huskies were much better end of the year and becoming the team we expect to compete mentally, physically and talent wise when they begin Big East play. These fans from the Big East coming here to let US know how much tougher the league was is too funny. We carried everyones butt for 20 years in the Big East we know better than anyone what it takes every day so relax Friar and Nova fans, we get it. :rolleyes: hahaha.....it is getting fun already!
Well, I was on here advocating for UConn to come home long before the decision was made. Fishy and others routinely called me crazy for such ideas. UConn does have a great history, a championship history, and is very welcome back to the Big East. UConn has had a tough stretch, but I expect UConn to compete at a high level next year and going forward.
Those that think UConn is just stepping back in time to dominate Prov need a little push back though. UConn is 2 coaches removed from that dynamic.
Here are UConn's Top 20 foes per Sports Reference:
1584983799290.png

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Well, I was on here advocating for UConn to come home long before the decision was made. Fishy and others routinely called me crazy for such ideas. UConn does have a great history, a championship history, and is very welcome back to the Big East. UConn has had a tough stretch, but I expect UConn to compete at a high level next year and going forward.
Those that think UConn is just stepping back in time to dominate Prov need a little push back though. UConn is 2 coaches removed from that dynamic.
View attachment 52261
We don’t need the history lessons. When we were in the same league for nearly 35 years, you won or shared 4 reg season titles and won a whopping ONE Big East Tournament title. 5 combined in 35 years (Uconn had 17 btw). Now you’ve won 10 combined in 7 years since we left with Cuse and Louisville, etc... Prob not a coincidence.

I’m super stoked to be back, no doubt. But I could do without a Nova fan, telling me how it is.

Reaction Score
We don’t need the history lessons. When we were in the same league for nearly 35 years, you won or shared 4 reg season titles and won a whopping ONE Big East Tournament title. 5 combined in 35 years (Uconn had 17 btw). Now you’ve won 10 combined in 7 years since we left with Cuse and Louisville, etc... Prob not a coincidence.

I’m super stoked to be back, no doubt. But I could do without a Nova fan, telling me how it is.
That’s all I’m saying. Watching Nova and Providence fans try and prep us like we weren’t the standard bearers of the greatest basketball conference of all time is crazy to me

Reaction Score

On top of our game huh? Well they shot 5-30 from 3 against you guys and you hung on at home. Not impressive.

Just sayin'.... ;)

Reaction Score
View attachment 52261

Here's your problem I don't need any education so please just stop. I was shoveling my driveway in the winter shooting like Howard Porter as a 12 year old in the 70's. I also know Nova kicked our butts in the early Big East days then things changed dramatically for the Big East, no more butt kickings ever. But I also know we have been pretty dreadful and embarrassing to say the least until this year where things began to head north again. By no means does that mean we walk in and even play above .500 next year in the Big East or that both PC and Nova don't sweep us, I get it. But please stop with drifting over here like you're anybody we are afraid of or the conference is scary. It had great parity this year but not much better than that. Lots of inconsistent teams like many other conferences I watched a lot. I could run down every team and if this one didn't play good or that one played good etc etc....We're not ECU or Tulane as fans we know what's going on with Creighton, Marquette and all the others. UConn will be back but it won't be easy but everyone stop with telling us what we're getting into it's sickening.

Reaction Score

You have it all figured out J no worries. LOL...you guys usually shot it about 5% better I mean huge leap.

Welcome back!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
View attachment 52261
I read this but I don't really understand your point with this. It goes back to the late 40's -what do you, the NBE and the CBB world what UConn did vs Vermont, UMass and the like in the 50's and 60's. Yeah we lost games in the 80's and early 90's vs Nova, St Johns and Gtown but what about the records after that early 90's? How many BE tournament titles did UConn win? I have no thoughts of UConn walking into the NBE and dominating from year 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if they do have some nice success.

Reaction Score
I was not from New England prior to attending PC and moved out of New England a long time ago, so no regional hatred for UCONN by me. PC basketball was in the dark ages prior to Ed Cooley's arrival. Ed has achieved everything I could have hoped for what was a dying program. He needs more success in the NCAA tournament, but I believe he'd admit that. It's undeniable that UCONN has achieved so much more in basketball the past 20 years than PC. I am just really excited for PC to get to play a team with such tradition as UCONN twice per year. I hope a mutually agreeable rivalry develops between both programs because I think it will be good for the Big East and New England basketball. Additionally, I am not sure how much Ed and Dan Hurley "hate" each other. I know they got overly emotional during games but my understanding was they both lived in East Greenwich and had an amicable relationship.
Well said. No hard feelings. If providence gets really good that wud be great for New England hoops. I remember a time in the mid to late 90s when southern New England was exploding with college Hoops. UMass was good(camby, Lou roe) BC was good -PC was good (croshere, shamgod, jamel Thomas) , UConn was good and Uri was good(cat Mobley, tyson wheeler) great time for me to be in college. Amazing hoop years in our region !!! God. Miss those days

Reaction Score
That’s all I’m saying. Watching Nova and Providence fans try and prep us like we weren’t the standard bearers of the greatest basketball conference of all time is crazy to me
It's pretty friggin' funny.

Reaction Score

"...you losers.."? Really have you actually ever been on your own board? :eek: The young ones here took a liking to Vital and they know little about KEA so hoping they're the only one's though who would believe that.

Reaction Score
Careful with talking smack here. Without looking it up PC pretty much always played us tough. You mention 1990 being the last meaningful game. How about the 1994 Big East semi final? Plus they will be very good next year and we just might struggle. I think they will be our biggest rival.
Where's the smack? If that's smack talk then I need to up my game!

Reaction Score
[/
It's not that, most post suggest that UConn is going to come in and roll everyone.......many other fan post including mine are just saying pump the brakes. Can UConn finish in first or top 3 in the BE.....yes but can easily finish last.

Reaction Score
It's not that, most post suggest that UConn is going to come in and roll everyone.......many other fan post including mine are just saying pump the brakes. Can UConn finish in first or top 3 in the BE.....yes but can easily finish last.
We’re fully aware and fully prepped for what we’re getting into. We played a MAJOR role in creating what we’re getting into. We don’t need a forewarning

Reaction Score
I don't think there are more than a few unrealistic people on here who think UConn is going to come in and roll everyone. I do think UConn is on an upward trajectory right now and will join the league's better teams at some point in the near future.

But this thread is about who will be UConn's rivals in the Big East.

Reaction Score

Most of this was ok until "could easily finish last." Nope got that one wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom