UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............ | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............

Reaction Score
"...you losers.."? Really have you actually ever been on your own board? :eek: The young ones here took a liking to Vital and they know little about KEA so hoping they're the only one's though who would believe that.
UConn fans really think vital better than el Amin ? Who ? A 20 yr old? Lol

Reaction Score
By no means does that mean we walk in and even play above .500 next year in the Big East or that both PC and Nova don't sweep us, I get it.
Don't sell UConn short. UConn may be more competitive than that next year.

A strong UConn will be good for the conference.

Reaction Score
I read this but I don't really understand your point with this. It goes back to the late 40's -what do you, the NBE and the CBB world what UConn did vs Vermont, UMass and the like in the 50's and 60's. Yeah we lost games in the 80's and early 90's vs Nova, St Johns and Gtown but what about the records after that early 90's? How many BE tournament titles did UConn win? I have no thoughts of UConn walking into the NBE and dominating from year 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if they do have some nice success.
I expect nice success too. We wanted UConn back. We are glad to have you back.

Just don't schedule Holy Cross. The L would be bad for all of our SOS.

Reaction Score
We’re fully aware and fully prepped for what we’re getting into. We played a MAJOR role in creating what we’re getting into. We don’t need a forewarning
Glad that you accept the meaning of coming home to the Big East, and you are not one of these AAC birthers who think the AAC is in fact the Big East.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've found the Nova grads I have met professionally to have a bit of BC smarminess to them, which helps fuel these things.

Reaction Score
Proximity, shared history, meaningful games - all play into a rivalry. CR has left many teams without fully developed rivals.

Looking a few years into the future, I'm guessing UConn's rivals should be:
1. Providence. Prov is a better program than you remember and the proximity will make them natural rivals.
2. Nova. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. Cuse. The former top rival, but that fades a bit over time being OOC.
4. UMass. After the giggles, there should be an effort to develop this into a regional rivalry with annual football games and hoops.
5. BC. Same as UMass.
6. Cincy. Keep scheduling them in both sports and keep a rivalry
7. St Johns. SJ has been below its potential for too long. If they can compete near the top of the conference, the NYC/MSG makes for a natural conference rival.
8. SH. They would love to have more rivals, but they are not quite worthy.

Nova is also without a true natural rival. Here is Nova's list
1. Georgetown. Forever tied to 1985 and a long standing conference rival. They need to be better for this to stir more emotion.
2. UConn. Not today, but I am going to project forward the importance of UConn to the Big East and Hurley's track to build the program. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. UNC! We are not probably near the top of their list, but we have built so much history with them. UNC-Nova games are special.
4. Kansas! sames.
5. Cuse. Nova-Cuse has great history. It never had the level of hatred as Cuse-GTown or Cuse-UConn, but still a good history. This will likely continue to fade.
6. St Johns. meh.
7. Temple. Our most competent Big 5 rival.
8. St Joes (PA). They hate us the most. Historical rivalry that has faded with their mediocrity.
9. The Hall. More of an annoyance than a rival.

As far as rivals between Blue Bloods, Nova-UConn is a natural in-conference. But OOC does UConn have any special Blue Blood rivalry that might compare to UNC-Nova?

Here is the Case for UNC-Nova:
- 2016. In the greatest NCAA Final of All-Time, Kris Jenkins hits "The Shot". Nova downs UNC 77-74.
- 2013. UNC knocks out Nova 71-78.
- 2009. UNC and Nova meet in the Detroit Final Four. UNC drops Nova 69-83 on the way to UNC's title.
- 2005. In a classic regional semi-final at The Dome, an injury reduced Nova squad moves to a 4 guard set and out plays UNC. The difference in the game is the notorius "phantom walk", gifting the Tarheels a 66-67 win. UNC continues on to a tarnished title.
- In 1996 Nova whips Carolina at the Spectrum, 76-56.
- In the 1995-96 Regular Season. Nova beats UNC twice, in the Maui Invitational and later in Philly.
- in 1994 and 1992 UNC takes regular season victories from Nova.
- 1991. UNC knocks out Nova 69-84. UNC advances to the Final Four.
- 1989. UNC defeats Nova in the regular season.
- 1985. As an 8 seed, Nova faced 2 seed UNC in the Regional Final. Just before the advent of the shot clock and the 3 point line, Coach Mass employs the Carolina 4 corners, feeding Dean Smith his own medicine in a 56-44 take down of the Tarheels. Nova moves on to the Final Four in Kentucky that features 3 Big East teams, and takes down Georgetown for the Championship.
- 1983. Regular Season. The Blizzard Game. Nova has trouble departing Philly in a blizzard. On UNC's home court, John Pinone's Nova takes down the Jordan's #1 ranked Tarheels 56-53. Coach Mass secures the win with the Carolina 4 corners.
- 1982. UNC takes down Nova 60-70 in the Regional Final, on its way to a Title over Georgetown.
- 1968, 1960, and 1955. UNC takes and early series lead with its first 3 victories over Nova.

In UNC's long storied history, Villanova is their most frequent tournament foe. UNC beat Nova on it's way to Titles in 1982, 2005, and 2009. Nova downed UNC in its title runs in 1985 and 2016.

I think UConn's best case for an OOC Blue Blood rivalry would be Duke. Do Huskies feel it?
- 2004 UConn beats Duke in the Final Four. UConn wins the Title over Georgia Tech.
- 1999 UConn wins the Title over 1 seed Duke, for UConn's first title.
- 1991 Duke downs UConn in the Sweet 16. Duke wins its first title.
- 1990 Duke takes UConn in an Elite Eight overtime, 78-79, denying UConn a Final Four.
- 1964 Duke crushes UConn in the Elite Eight, 54-101.

Duke and UConn are both classic "new money" blue bloods, with their first titles in the 1990s and their excellence each tied to one legendary program coach. 5 titles for Duke and 4 titles for UConn.

Am I missing any regular season Duke-UConn drama? Does this history mean anything extra when UConn plays Duke?

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I expect nice success too. We wanted UConn back. We are glad to have you back.

Just don't schedule Holy Cross. The L would be bad for all of our SOS.
Ouch. Gotta admit, nicely done.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
As far as rivals between Blue Bloods, Nova-UConn is a natural in-conference. But OOC does UConn have any special Blue Blood rivalry that might compare to UNC-Nova?

- 2016. In the greatest NCAA Final of All-Time, Kris Jenkins hits "The Shot". Nova downs UNC 77-74.
- 2009. UNC and Nova meet in the Detroit Final Four. UNC drops Nova 69-83 on the way to UNC's title.
- 2005. In a classic regional semi-final at The Dome, an injury reduced Nova squad moves to a 4 guard set and out plays UNC. The difference in the game is the notorius "phantom walk", gifting the Tarheels a 66-67 win. UNC continues on to a tarnished title.
- In the 1995-96 Regular Season. Nova beats UNC twice, in the Maui Invitational and later in Philly.
- 1985. As an 8 seed, Nova faced 2 seed UNC in the Regional Final. Just before the advent of the shot clock and the 3 point line, Coach Mass employs the Carolina 4 corners, feeding Dean Smith his own medicine in a 56-44 take down of the Tarheels. Nova moves on to the Final Four in Kentucky that features 3 Big East teams, an takes down Georgetown for the Championship.
- 1983. Regular Season. The Blizzard Game. Nova has trouble departing Philly in a blizzard. On UNC's home court, John Pinone's Nova takes down the Jordan's #1 ranked Tarheels 56-53. Coach Mass secures the win with the Carolina 4 corners.
- 1982. UNC takes down Nova 60-70 in the Regional Final, on its way to a Title over Georgetown.
- 1968, 1960, and 1955. UNC takes and early series lead with its first 3 victories over Nova.

In UNC's long storied history, Villanova is their most frequent tournament foe. UNC beat Nova on it's way to Titles in 1982, 2005, and 2009. Nova downed UNC in its title runs in 1985 and 2016.

I think UConn's best case for an OOC Blue Blood rivalry would be Duke. Do Huskies feel it?
- 2004 UConn beats Duke in the Final Four. UConn wins the Title over Georgia Tech.
- 1990 Duke takes UConn in an Elite Eight overtime, 78-79, denying UConn a Final Four.

Duke and UConn are both classic "new money" blue bloods, with their first titles in the 1990s and their excellence each tied to one legendary program coach. 5 titles for Duke and 4 titles for UConn.

Am I missing any regular season Duke-UConn drama? Does this history mean anything extra when UConn plays Duke?

I agree that UConn's OOC would be Duke. But I have 3 friends that are Duke alums and I get the overall impression that their fanbase still thinks our program is beneath them. And rivalries have to be bi-lateral. Don't shoot the messenger...

Reaction Score

- 1985. As an 8 seed, Nova faced 2 seed UNC in the Regional Final. Just before the advent of the shot clock and the 3 point line, Coach Mass employs the Carolina 4 corners, feeding Dean Smith his own medicine in a 56-44 take down of the Tarheels. Nova moves on to the Final Four in Kentucky that features 3 Big East teams, an takes down Georgetown for the Championship.

2016 the greatest NCAA final ever. Are you 8 years old?

With your Duke and UConn are both classic new money blue blood comment, please tell me you don't think Nova is a classic old money blue blood.

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn's OOC would be Duke. But I have 3 friends that are Duke alums and I get the overall impression that their fanbase still thinks our program is beneath them. And rivalries have to be bi-lateral. Don't shoot the messenger...
I'd say UConn - Duke is more evenly matched than Sox-Yanks, and the Sox consider themselves rivals.

Reaction Score
With your Duke and UConn are both classic new money blue blood comment, please tell me you don't think Nova is a classic old money blue blood.

Nova is in between.
- Top 10 in NCAA tournament victories.
- NCAA Appearance in every decade (One of 2 programs, Nova and Ohio State)
- Final Fours in 1939, 1971, 1985, 2009, 2016, and 2018

Nova is also a modern era Blue Blood. It wouldn't be a classic old money Blue Blood, but it is more of a historical contender with modern era titles.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I wonder if an actual blue blood would have won more than 1 BET between 1982 and 2014?! Or if an actual blue blood would have had Steve Lappas running the show for a decade, accumulating A grand total of 1 NCAA win? Hmmm

Reaction Score
Here are your modern era Blue Bloods

1585016094206.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if an actual blue blood... would have had Steve Lappas running the show for a decade, accumulating A grand total of 1 NCAA win? Hmmm
Lap was a low point and he under performed in post season with a couple of 3 seeds and a 4 seed. 1 NCAA win, however, is FAKE NEWS.

nadav

Reaction Score
Lap was a low point and he under performed in post season with a couple of 3 seeds and a 4 seed. 1 NCAA win, however, is FAKE NEWS.
Am I mistaken? Did he have 2? Point is you don’t get to call yourself a blue blood. You are or you aren’t.

Reaction Score
you don’t get to call yourself a blue blood. You are or you aren’t.
Well, the sports press recognizes Nova as a Blue Blood. In San Antonio all of the talk was of 3 Blue Bloods plus Loyola. We won that one, so I'd think we wouldn't lose that status with another title.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

ignoring everything else...That call on Allan ray laughable. And they only called it after the ball went in...

still, nova had the inbound stolen and the dude dropped it oob.

nadav

Reaction Score
Well, the sports press recognizes Nova as a Blue Blood. In San Antonio all of the talk was of 3 Blue Bloods plus Loyola. We won that one, so I'd think we wouldn't lose that status with another title.
I missed ‘all of the talk’ then. If you think Nova is considered to be on the same level (right or wrong) as Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and Duke, then I really don’t know what to say.

Reaction Score
I missed ‘all of the talk’ then. If you think Nova is considered to be on the same level (right or wrong) as Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and Duke, then I really don’t know what to say.
You can google ESPN, CBS Sports, Forbes, AP, USA Today, and find Nova listed as a Blue Blood. I didn't wake up this morning with an epiphany.

I can understand you not keeping up with current events over the last 5 years, but Nova has added to it's legacy

Of course it's not an official title, so there is always debate.

imho, Carolina, Duke, and UConn are the leaders of the modern era. Titles matter.

Next tier is Kentucky, Louisville and Nova. For all of the top recruits UK gets, Calipari only has the 2012 title.

Part of the discussion has to include recent accomplishments. What have you done for me lately? Indiana, Kansas, and UCLA? Certainly they are historic Blue Bloods, but they don't have enough recent success to be considered top tier. Opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom