UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
Re-emphasizing this sentence. That alone makes me omit that ankle-biter program as our rival.
Sharp teeth though, this was the year before we beat you at home in your NC year and Calhouns rant. 2003 UConn senior night at Gampel.

the Q

Cold as December Snow
Sharp teeth though, this was the year before we beat you at home in your NC year and Calhouns rant. 2003 UConn senior night at Gampel.
providence has always played us tough and had some really good players that I loathe their miserable existence (such as Williams, Murdock, Dunn, Simpkins and croshere).

they’ve had some really good players like Gomes and shamgod who made them more than relevant.

but it’s not enough to talk smack now, despite UConn being down.

I don’t think UConn wins the conference yesr, but with the right transfer(s) they can certainly be 3rd. In fact if they got nolley and Bruner that’s where I’d slot them in.

but without those 2, they could easily finish like 7th with a lot of close games. This conference is pretty freaking deep.

3 years from now though I do expect them to be up where Creighton and Nova are right now. I believe in Hurley and the brand that much. But it’s not going to be an easy path either. But it starts with doing the job next year. Next year is huge as the building block for that.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
providence has always played us tough and had some really good players that I loathe their miserable existence (such as Simpkins and croshere).

they’ve had some really good players like Gomes and shamgod who made them more than relevant.

I don’t think UConn wins the conference yesr, but with the right transfer(s) they can certainly be 3rd. In fact if they got nolley and Bruner that’s where I’d slot them in.

but without those 2, they could easily finish like 7th with a lot of close games. This conference is pretty freaking deep.

3 years from now though I do expect them to be up where Creighton and Nova are right now. I believe in Hurley and the brand that much. But it’s not going to be an easy path either. But it starts with doing the job next year. Next year is huge as the building block for that.
I have no doubt about that. But also under Cooley PC will not be sinking back to the bottom of the league like many expect here.

Why do you loathe Croshere? Do you know his story?

That's the point, it will always be your superbowl and for UConn it's just another game. Many years later the biggest claim to fame for PC is that they once beat the national champions in a regular season game.

the Q

Cold as December Snow
I have no doubt about that. But also under Cooley PC will not be sinking back to the bottom of the league like many expect here.

Why do you loathe Croshere? Do you know his story?
incant argue Cooley has brought PC back to relevancy. And stealing Dunn out of UConn’s back yard was huge for that.

As I said, simple geography and OBE history means this is a rivalry. And y’all have given UConn fits, the all time record shows that.

I still think nova has to be #1 though, at least based on the present situation. Because nova has the same history from obe and is the goal program for UConn right now.

Probably when you realize you haven’t been for years.
Do we have to be? You still are and always will be looking way, way up at UConn. Even with the downturn over the last 4-5 years. You don't get to shoot your mouth off.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
That's the point, it will always be your superbowl and for UConn it's just another game. Many years later the biggest claim to fame for PC is that they once beat the national champions in a regular season game.
We beat Nova both years they won the NC’s and took them to overtime in the BET championship game when they went onto beat everyone in the NCAA by 20. The Providence you seem to think still exists was over right after the latest split. 1 game behind Xavier for the 2nd best overall BE record since the inception. There was a time when beating you guys was what you describe. That time is history as is your past.

LMAO. The fact that you even remember this game makes my point.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
incant argue Cooley has brought PC back to relevancy. And stealing Dunn out of UConn’s back yard was huge for that.

As I said, simple geography and OBE history means this is a rivalry. And y’all have given UConn fits, the all time record shows that.

I still think nova has to be #1 though, at least based on the present situation. Because nova has the same history from obe and is the goal program for UConn right now.
Seriously I’m curious about Croshere. Do you know he committed to UConn and when he was scheduled to fly out to Storrs for a visit Calhoun pulled his ship to give it to Kirkland King? Calhoun told him to call Rick Barnes and go there which is what he did.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
LMAO. The fact that you even remember this game makes my point.
I don’t recall it at all but somebody does and just posted this on YouTube. The amazing thing is when we were ankle biters to be ignored you were a regular poster on the PC board. How soon we forget...

I don’t recall it at all but somebody does and just posted this on YouTube. The amazing thing is when we were ankle biters to be ignored you were a regular poster on the PC board. How soon we forget...
Yeah. And I got banned there for saying the same thing then that I'm saying now. You're not that good. Never have been.

When UConn was in its run it afforded in conference games at the highest level. It’s always great to be #1, and special to beat #1. Nova beat #1 UConn in 1995 and 2006.

I don’t think another Big East team besides Nova has been ranked number 1 since the split. There have been very good teams, but my recall would not have any of them reaching 1.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
Yeah. And I got banned there for saying the same thing then that I'm saying now. You're not that good. Never have been.
Neither are you, but you have been.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
What makes you think I haven't followed them very closely?
Wow, I thought you were just being arrogant. Didn’t think you were an idiot, oh well.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
providence has always played us tough and had some really good players that I loathe their miserable existence (such as Williams, Murdock, Dunn, Simpkins and croshere).

I wanted to add that I’m very surprised Hurley is pursuing Nolley. Dude is a head case.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Seriously I’m curious about Croshere. Do you know he committed to UConn and when he was scheduled to fly out to Storrs for a visit Calhoun pulled his ship to give it to Kirkland King? Calhoun told him to call Rick Barnes and go there which is what he did.
Cro could have sighed earlier but he was waiting on Cal and Notre Dame and they also passed. But the best part about Croshere is that everytime he buried one against Uconn, Calhoun would scream at his assistants ‘we got the wrong guy’

I wanted to add that I’m very surprised Hurley is pursuing Nolley. Dude is a head case.
Caron Butler was a head case too. Not claiming Nolley will be Caron. But sometimes a change of scenery and a coach like Hurley can be the difference. One thing Nolley is is extremely confident. If Hurley can trim the fat with him, watch out

We did have a Big East rival named BCU. But after bludgeoning them 22 times consecutively, it became more of a mercy rivalry.
That was great. We even beat them when they were ranked and we weren't. I remember an early game in that streak when BCU literally quit running then accused UConn of running up the score. Jim Obie left sputtering something about payback. They didn't beat UConn for an entire calendar decade after and Obie was drummed out of CBB in disgrace. I guess the payback was blackballing us out of the ACC, a Pyrrhic victory for them.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
Cro could have sighed earlier but he was waiting on Cal and Notre Dame and they also passed. But the best part about Croshere is that everytime he buried one against Uconn, Calhoun would scream at his assistants ‘we got the wrong guy’
I think it was Howie that took his verbal and when King wanted to come Calhoun told Croshere that UConn does not take verbals from players who had not visited the school. Apparently he called Barnes and basically handed Croshere to PC. It’s an interesting story I think.

FriarJ

Never Surrender!
Caron Butler was a head case too. Not claiming Nolley will be Caron. But sometimes a change of scenery and a coach like Hurley can be the difference. One thing Nolley is is extremely confident. If Hurley can trim the fat with him, watch out
Very true and a bit of maturity helps too. He will have to mature if he comes because if you don’t want to play defense then you will have a rabid dog of a coach up your keister.

Guys, we are not the program we were 5, 10 or 20 years ago. We will get back there though. We have been stuck in a BS conference and have been an average team there.
You do what you want, but I'm gonna act like I've been there before. Because I have. Seventeen times in total.