UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival Will Be ............

Reaction Score
Outside of the ones mentioned, a budding rivalry could be Xavier. We had an intense game with them this year (double OT loss) and they've had a reasonably solid program for some time.
I've never been to Cincinnati and would love to check out the city if they play there on the weekends.

Reaction Score
Proximity, shared history, meaningful games - all play into a rivalry. CR has left many teams without fully developed rivals.

Looking a few years into the future, I'm guessing UConn's rivals should be:
1. Providence. Prov is a better program than you remember and the proximity will make them natural rivals.
2. Nova. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. Cuse. The former top rival, but that fades a bit over time being OOC.
4. UMass. After the giggles, there should be an effort to develop this into a regional rivalry with annual football games and hoops.
5. BC. Same as UMass.
6. Cincy. Keep scheduling them in both sports and keep a rivalry
7. St Johns. SJ has been below its potential for too long. If they can compete near the top of the conference, the NYC/MSG makes for a natural conference rival.
8. SH. They would love to have more rivals, but they are not quite worthy.

Nova is also without a true natural rival. Here is Nova's list
1. Georgetown. Forever tied to 1985 and a long standing conference rival. They need to be better for this to stir more emotion.
2. UConn. Not today, but I am going to project forward the importance of UConn to the Big East and Hurley's track to build the program. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. UNC! We are not probably near the top of their list, but we have built so much history with them. UNC-Nova games are special.
4. Kansas! sames.
5. Cuse. Nova-Cuse has great history. It never had the level of hatred as Cuse-GTown or Cuse-UConn, but still a good history. This will likely continue to fade.
6. St Johns. meh.
7. Temple. Our most competent Big 5 rival.
8. St Joes (PA). They hate us the most. Historical rivalry that has faded with their mediocrity.
9. The Hall. More of an annoyance than a rival.
Our #1 rival is PC and your #9 rival is SHU because they're nothing more than an annoyance?

Your #3 and #4 rivals are UNC and Kansas and our #4 and #5 rivals are UMass and BC.

Get the duck* out of here with that noise. It's partly this attitude from Nova which will make you our rivals. The reason you guys became #1 is because someone had to fill the void when UConn was no longer there, remember that. We're coming for your heads.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Proximity, shared history, meaningful games - all play into a rivalry. CR has left many teams without fully developed rivals.

Looking a few years into the future, I'm guessing UConn's rivals should be:
1. Providence. Prov is a better program than you remember and the proximity will make them natural rivals.
2. Nova. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. Cuse. The former top rival, but that fades a bit over time being OOC.
4. UMass. After the giggles, there should be an effort to develop this into a regional rivalry with annual football games and hoops.
5. BC. Same as UMass.
6. Cincy. Keep scheduling them in both sports and keep a rivalry
7. St Johns. SJ has been below its potential for too long. If they can compete near the top of the conference, the NYC/MSG makes for a natural conference rival.
8. SH. They would love to have more rivals, but they are not quite worthy.

Nova is also without a true natural rival. Here is Nova's list
1. Georgetown. Forever tied to 1985 and a long standing conference rival. They need to be better for this to stir more emotion.
2. UConn. Not today, but I am going to project forward the importance of UConn to the Big East and Hurley's track to build the program. Battling for Big East prominence. 2 Blue Blood programs in conference.
3. UNC! We are not probably near the top of their list, but we have built so much history with them. UNC-Nova games are special.
4. Kansas! sames.
5. Cuse. Nova-Cuse has great history. It never had the level of hatred as Cuse-GTown or Cuse-UConn, but still a good history. This will likely continue to fade.
6. St Johns. meh.
7. Temple. Our most competent Big 5 rival.
8. St Joes (PA). They hate us the most. Historical rivalry that has faded with their mediocrity.
9. The Hall. More of an annoyance than a rival.
Come on. So much garbage here.

I wonder if Nova would make the UNC list of top 30 rivals?

If we were going to just stick in big time programs in for a couple of good past games, then Uconn will add Kentucky and Duke.

Reaction Score
Why even respond? It’s PC - they can’t get out of first round. It’s like playing my little sister 1 on 1. I always rooted for them and all big East teams once they made the tournament they re no threat to us. It’s not even a debate

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Maybe the PC home game during the Dream Season? They were good that year, fighting for a spot in the dance. Their fans left to the sound of 1000's of UConn fans chanting "P-C N-I-T!"
That's right, I totally forgot about that!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Come on. So much garbage here.

I wonder if Nova would make the UNC list of top 30 rivals?

If we were going to just stick in big time programs in for a couple of good past games, then Uconn will add Kentucky and Duke.

they might’ve made the top if not for the made up Allan ray travel to protect the blue blood in 2005.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't think we do not have any rivalry yet. We are the new kid on the block since this is The New Big East-opposed to where we came from. Let us compete first and see where one develops.

Reaction Score
but you kinda like the music?
Love music. Was a high school marching band geek (saxophone), played in a band (bass guitar).

It's more of a location thing. I've not ventured much to the midwest, save for Chicago, Fargo and Kansas. The last five years, most of my traveling has been international, going to Europe for the first time that included separate trips to Iceland, Paris and Norway. We'll get back to Iceland for our five year anniversary (if we can travel to Iceland in July).

The move to the new Big East will hopefully get me out to Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Indianapolis and Omaha (in that order) all in the next five years.

Reaction Score
Maybe the PC home game during the Dream Season? They were good that year, fighting for a spot in the dance. Their fans left to the sound of 1000's of UConn fans chanting "P-C N-I-T!"
You just made my point. The most important game UConn has played them in the last 20+ years was UConn going for a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and PC trying to even get into the field?

Reaction Score
“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son”! But it makes you a typical PC fan! :)

See we earned our cockiness out on the court where it counts. How about your program actually win more than one tournament game every decade, and then come talk smack?
And as for the missus, she’s a lush so you can have her. Just stay away from my daughter! LOL

Reaction Score
I don't think we're being cocky. I'm sure UConn will lose to PC sometimes. But I just don't see us being big rivals. That's all I'm saying. When was the last time these 2 teams played an important game where both teams were good? I think you need that for it to be a rivalry. They were both in the Big East for over 30 years and when did you consider them to be big rivals?

Reaction Score
I don't think we're being cocky. I'm sure UConn will lose to PC sometimes. But I just don't see us being big rivals. That's all I'm saying. When was the last time these 2 teams played an important game where both teams were good? I think you need that for it to be a rivalry. They were both in the Big East for over 30 years and when did you consider them to be big rivals?
I generally agree that a good rivalry never really developed, but it certainly got a little heated in the Ryan Gomes era.

Reaction Score
our #4 and #5 rivals are UMass and BC.
They are not today, but projecting forward they should be. You should schedule them in both sports every year and build a rivalry.

Today you are not on a position to dominate them in football. Maybe someday.

Reaction Score
Most say PC.....I would say Georgetown, up 6 games on UConn. Looking at the Butler board...... recent post, they want a piece of UConn.

Reaction Score
The program which our fans will see live most often, whether at XL, Gampel, or MSG. I don't expect we'll be playing at Carnesecca Arena, like the PC visitors. :cool:

Reaction Score
Providence. Always a great rivalry with hard fought games, even when we were the much better team.
I concur. Providence has always been a pain in the ass. My first choice would be Syracuse, one of the programs I respect the most. Alas, we don't play them at all. That needs to be fixed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom