UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have a favorite combination of players-- which is what it breaks down to be. Looking back at the recent season the only player I trusted with the ball away from the basket was Edward. That final game was a nightmare and exposed the fact that we had no competent guard to dribble through pressure. My guess is that all Uconn's championships came with guards who were capable of penetrating and dribbling back out when needed. And it is precisely this type of guard who have been sticking a knife into us.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
1--- Assume Caroline doesn't start (injury). If she ls heathy what you say in bold is fine to a certain degree.

2--- Paige and Azzi are also more than capable scorers and much better sg/sf all around shooters than any other player on the team.
3--- Why are you diminishing the assists? The assists have to account. She gets no huge praise for assists but blasted for turnovers? Anyway, the assists, It's not all her, right? SO, if it isn’t all her for assists, then it shouldn't be all her for turnovers.
4-- Turnovers don't end with the pg. UCONN doesn't play one-player basketball. SO, to imply that the pg spot "begins and ends with turnovers," is not true.
5-- When we have the best all-around sg/sf's in Paige and Azzi on the floor, a player like Nika Muhl won't distract them from being super great as long as they are healthy.

In regard to this thread, it's impossible to answer this early. As for Nika, if she shoots like she did her soph year from 3, she eventually won't play much if the team is healthy. On the flip-side is she this 3's like this year, she'll play decent minutes, start or not.
Excellent Post!!

Reaction Score
That final game was a nightmare and exposed the fact that we had no competent guard to dribble through pressure.
I didn't see it that way. Our team fell apart because they were emotionally exhausted after a grueling season. The guards couldn't break the press because everyone was standing around. That's a sure sign they were spent.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with this. In my hunger for husky basketball, I watched a bit of Marquette game from the 20-21 season (Paige had 30 and a classic post game interview with Nika), and the team started Nika, Paige, C Williams, Evina, and Liv. I don't think starting 3 guards is an issue for Geno. On the flip side, essentially Paige would kinda be a 3 defensively next year. I know she's been in the weight room, but it's hard for me to imagine her guarding a Cotie McMahon or a Rickea Jackson. I know those matchups are few and far between but I get the idea of starting a bigger 3.
Paige should be at least equal to doing what Lou did last year in terms of guarding other 3's. And the prior year's if Cwill were guarding a bigger SF, Paige can too. And UCONN could also play a zone. A trapping one possibly also.

But what's always the flip side with big teams is that they have to be good enough to defend perimeter teams. A non-guard guarding Paige on Offense is in a lot of trouble. A lot. In addition, that big team is going to get pressed more and the smaller team is going to push pace. So, if UCONN had a lineup of Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey and Edwards starting, if that lineup is pushing pace on their end and UCONN's efficiency on offense is just executing "just normal," for them, then there is a good chance the bigger team is going to be playing from behind. Many big teams aren't as proficient from the outside meaning they need to take extra time off the clock on Offense to get in a position to expose their inside game. That eventually catches up to a big team. playing against certain extremely talented offensive perimeter teams.

A potential starting 5 of Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aubrey, and Edwards can be a big-time pace-pushing perimeter team.

Reaction Score
Just finished reading all the comments. Thanks everyone.

I’m assuming that Paige will be fully healthy by this fall.

I really hope both Paige and Nika start. They were great playing together freshman year and a lot of fun to watch. That would put Nika at the point. I don’t think she would be put in another position.

Nika had a very good sophomore year in my opinion, but when Paige came back, Nika came off the bench. Nika made a lot of progress her junior year, but I think she might come off the bench again. Yes, she is aggressive and brings up the ball quickly, but Paige could, I suppose, bring the ball up more quickly, and Paige’s BBIQ, her ability to see what is going to happen before it happens, and her other talents in running the offense are a lot to give up if she plays off the ball. We haven’t seen a healthy Paige in a long time.

Even though I want Nika to start, my prediction is that she will start the first game but will soon come off the bench, still playing an essential role. The starting five after that would be Paige at PG, Azzi, Aaliyah, and two to be determined.

Reaction Score
Just finished reading all the comments. Thanks everyone.

I’m assuming that Paige will be fully healthy by this fall.

I really hope both Paige and Nika start. They were great playing together freshman year and a lot of fun to watch. That would put Nika at the point. I don’t think she would be put in another position.

Nika had a very good sophomore year in my opinion, but when Paige came back, Nika came off the bench. Nika made a lot of progress her junior year, but I think she might come off the bench again. Yes, she is aggressive and brings up the ball quickly, but Paige could, I suppose, bring the ball up more quickly, and Paige’s BBIQ, her ability to see what is going to happen before it happens, and her other talents in running the offense are a lot to give up if she plays off the ball. We haven’t seen a healthy Paige in a long time.

Even though I want Nika to start, my prediction is that she will start the first game but will soon come off the bench, still playing an essential role. The starting five after that would be Paige at PG, Azzi, Aaliyah, and two to be determined.
I just think Paige "passing the ball" is not as good in college as Paige "shooting the ball."
And UCONN runs a motion Offense. So until the Offensive shot clock winds down how much does Paige need to run things? And once it does just give her the ball.

Reaction Score
Everybody just dismisses Ines as a bench player next year, with no hope for seeing the floor. Don't forget, we are loyal fans and what she did last year to help the team is should not be forgotten. She is a pretty good ball handler, can shoot the 3, and can drive to the basket. We have a lot of talent coming in as well as the returning players, but I hope that Geno just gives the kid a chance to play some significant minutes for the team. Ines showed us competency last year, and who knows how the sophomore jump will affect her. In our eyes, she doesn't seem to fit into the picture next year, but let's not forget about her, and whether she improves or not, I hope that Geno gives her a chance to show what she can do, and I hope my fellow Boneyarders also give her a chance. We will see, maybe she will not be up for the challenge, but I believe she deserves a chance. We owe it to her.
Well said! I too believe Ines has hidden depths to her game and will, at some point become a solid contributor for this team. When her moment came last season, she stepped right up and delivered. I think that clearly bodes well for both her and the team. I’m convinced that when her next opportunity/moment comes, and it will come, she will be ready.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I didn't see it that way. Our team fell apart because they were emotionally exhausted after a grueling season. The guards couldn't break the press because everyone was standing around. That's a sure sign they were spent.
Exactly!!!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
More thn once the receiver of the passes were waiting for the ball to come to them allowing the defender to step around and intercept the pass, happens all the time in football also, you have to step to the ball. I'm positive tht the coaches drilled them on wht was coming from OSU, the teaching was there but the bodies couldn't keep up. With all they went through this season I'm proud tht they won the BE tournament and gave everything they could in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Year 2023-2024 can be one of the best women basketball team in UConn history.
My guess of the starting five:
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

First out bench: Caroline Ducharme
Probably. It's a small team though so I look to see Ice, Ay or Jana right after Caroline or even before depending on the opponent.

Reaction Score
Horse,

Saying Bueckers is better at everything is not debatable. If we were choosing up sides even the biggest Nika fan (me) would pick Paige first (duh).

But that's not the point (no pun intended). The question is, where do you get the most value out of Paige Bueckers? PG or SG? If you say SG, or if you consider it a toss up (which could be the case), then you lose nothing by have Nika as the PG with all that she brings to the table. And I don't have a problem with 3 guards being on the floor. What this trio can do easily negates any deficiency of not having a true SF on the floor (which Paige can also do).

I'm amazed at the posters who insist that Paige has to start at PG, as if she's the world's worst SG.

So you think Muhl and Bueckers are interchangeable at pg? Really? Nika is the same offensive player as Bueckers? I think I missed something.
Some might say that Bueckers' scoring would still be there at sg but if Bueckers plays pg she does everything better than Muhl plus she is a major scorer. With Bueckers handling the pg there can be another player inserted at the 3, 4 or 5 that will add things to the team that neither Bueckers or Muhl will.
As long as Geno has other scoring options Bueckers will stay at pg.

Reaction Score
The problem with Caroline is that so far she has been bitten by the injury bug and I'm not sure if that won't continue. Paige and Azzi are more than capable ball handlers and much better all around shooters than Niki. A lot has been written about her assists but I can't recall another season where we had so many turnovers and that starts and ends with your point guard. I don't think it is being negative towards Niki when you point out that we have the two top guards in the country coming of of high school and when on the floor they have done nothing to distract from that.

UConn played with one guard last season. Lou came in as a sf. That's why the to's were so high.

Reaction Score
Paige should be at least equal to doing what Lou did last year in terms of guarding other 3's. And the prior year's if Cwill were guarding a bigger SF, Paige can too. And UCONN could also play a zone. A trapping one possibly also.

But what's always the flip side with big teams is that they have to be good enough to defend perimeter teams. A non-guard guarding Paige on Offense is in a lot of trouble. A lot. In addition, that big team is going to get pressed more and the smaller team is going to push pace. So, if UCONN had a lineup of Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey and Edwards starting, if that lineup is pushing pace on their end and UCONN's efficiency on offense is just executing "just normal," for them, then there is a good chance the bigger team is going to be playing from behind. Many big teams aren't as proficient from the outside meaning they need to take extra time off the clock on Offense to get in a position to expose their inside game. That eventually catches up to a big team. playing against certain extremely talented offensive perimeter teams.

A potential starting 5 of Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aubrey, and Edwards can be a big-time pace-pushing perimeter team.

They can have whoever is guarding Muhl help on both Bueckers and Fudd.

Every combination has pluses and minuses. I just can't see moving 3 players from their best positions to put in a player who adds nothing new to the team on the court.
In addition, if Muhl comes off the bench in a 2 guard lineup there would be two experienced guards playing all the time and staying fresh. If Geno were to commit to a three guard offense what does he do if one of the three is injured? There is talent, but no experience except for Bettencourt.
Three guards stretches the backcourt talent to thin, especially when I am sure front court players will emerge this summer.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for everyone, but can for myself, as someone who thinks the odds of Ines getting significant time is very small, but still is very appreciative that she agreed to come here under very unusual circumstances.. That doesn't mean I don't root for her, and I think Geno will give her a fair chance to win playing time, but suspect he too thinks there are many players ahead of her.

I thought Ines looked pretty good handling the ball, passing and defending. She probably chose to defer to others on offense and has more talent there than she showed scoring. Her main problem was turnovers, and some of that looked like she was nervous being thrown into the fire. After all she said the biggest crowd she played before was about 200 before coming here, and then she winds up starting against top ranked Maryland on national TV in front of a huge crowd.

Uconn was in trouble in the backcourt heading into last year, talented but thin before the Paige injury, and not having any insurance after that bad news. It was too late to get a HS recruit or portal transfer. I credit Geno for pulling a rabitt out of the hat and getting Ines. She is vastly superior to a walk-on which was about the only other option at that time. But if we were not in an emergency situation I don't think Geno would even consider a player like Ines, which is not saying she isn't a talented player, but rather she probably is not at the usual Uconn level. Most of us will still be rooting for everyone on the team regardless of playing time, just like how we felt when Pulido hit that last second shot in the 2016 championship game and the bench went nuts.

I finished watching a Bettencourt highlight video. It's premature to assume the freshmen will move ahead of her. She missed the entire summer session last year. Later in the season she relaxed and played smart. She's fast and quick and started to read passes on defense. And she has good size for a guard.
I wouldn't be surprised if she earns Geno's trust this season.

Reaction Score

That team has only 2 good 3pt shooters at this pt. Griffin was in the 3pt contest so Geno thinks she can shoot but we have yet to see her light up from 3. Edwards didn't shoot 3's last year but she has made a few. Muhl needs to improve her shooting and add a reliable mid-range but her so-so 3pt game limits the offense.

Reaction Score
Yep, that and the fact that Edwards was spending a lot of time on the bench. How often did we see Edwards standing in the middle of the court get a pass to break pressure? Can't be a point-center if you're riding the pines.

Reaction Score
I accept your point even though its a bit circular-- they would have broken the press were they not standing around ... And, because they were standing around they had to be tired (how dare us think that they were taken apart by the opposing team). I do remember however every one (here and elsewhere) celebrating their restored energy starting in the BE T. That is against my point, as I am quite aware about 'false' energy and its consequences. My point is that we have had point guards who could do without picking up their dribble-- a skill-set with a certain amount of confidence (After Jefferson, I cannot think of a guard fitting that mark. I am not counting Paige because of her injuries). And yes, tiredness can exposed these things.

Reaction Score
So you think Muhl and Bueckers are interchangeable at pg? Really? Nika is the same offensive player as Bueckers? I think I missed something.
Some might say that Bueckers' scoring would still be there at sg but if Bueckers plays pg she does everything better than Muhl plus she is a major scorer. With Bueckers handling the pg there can be another player inserted at the 3, 4 or 5 that will add things to the team that neither Bueckers or Muhl will.
As long as Geno has other scoring options Bueckers will stay at pg.
I think you are greatly misrepresenting what Skeets said. No where did he say, Nika is the same offensive player as Bueckers. There is no real debate that Paige is a better player than Nika, but your assertion that, she does everything better than Muhl, is arguable, specifically on defense.

On the defensive end Nika is the better player. The Big East coaches have made the assessment two years in a row that she was the conference DPOY. Nika was not as aggressive this past season for obvious reasons, she couldn't afford to get herself in foul trouble because the team needed her on the floor for nearly every minute of every game. So why did they select a less aggressive Nika Mühl over other possible contenders (such as teammate Aubrey Griffin) again this season - perhaps because they like others have noted hearing her constant voice directing her teammates while continuing to slow down their ability to get into their offensive sets.

Nika will be returning as the player on the roster with the most career starts, 70, followed by Aaliyah, 69 and Paige 42. She, playing along with both, Paige and Azzi has shown great chemistry and played extremely well together when starting. The combination of all three provides two great passers, three players with great court vision, two exceptional scorers and an aggressive/disruptive head of the snake on defense flanked by two players who are great at getting in the passing lanes to pick off passes. To me, they are a scary backcourt for other teams to play against.

Arguments about Nika's lack of being an offensive threat allowing opponents to play off of her have been made numerous times in the past. I would argue that if that was true in her earlier career it is no longer the case. When Nika is actively leading or involved in the offensive flow, the defense does not lay off of her because of her ability to make the right pass with very little window of opportunity and her new found willingness, as demonstrated this past season, to take the open shot or drive to the basket for a layup attempt or get fouled. I think its fair to expect her to continue to improve on the offensive side, as she has each year.

Basically, I don't agree with you, Alydar, that a combination of Nika and Paige on the floor together is not of much greater benefit to the team than the a scenario of Paige at point with Nika off the bench as her back up.You could be correct, but I believe Geno expects a lot more from senior Nika Mühl than being the back up point guard. As do, I suspect, most Uconn fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I accept your point even though its a bit circular-- they would have broken the press were they not standing around ... And, because they were standing around they had to be tired (how dare us think that they were taken apart by the opposing team). I do remember however every one (here and elsewhere) celebrating their restored energy starting in the BE T. That is against my point, as I am quite aware about 'false' energy and its consequences. My point is that we have had point guards who could do without picking up their dribble-- a skill-set with a certain amount of confidence (After Jefferson, I cannot think of a guard fitting that mark. I am not counting Paige because of her injuries). And yes, tiredness can exposed these things.
Not circular at all. But I know what you mean. Lots of folks tried to size up our defeat of Stanford last year by suggesting they’d shot poorly without giving credit to what we did to them on D.

And you’re right that tOSU played wonderfully, one of their best games of the year. I said as much on these boards at the time. The Huskies often overcame teams having great nights by absorbing their best punch and then responding. The Iowa and Tennessee games were like this. Or in the tournament itself, the Baylor game — they threw their best punch at our girls in the first half. It was probably the best they’d played all year. Then Aubrey went on a tear and Azzi scored 16 points in the 3rd quarter. It takes a lot emotional fortitude to do this — the culture Geno and CD build is directed at producing exactly this sort of courage. But Lou was the only one with something left to punch back with against tOSU.

Reaction Score
They can have whoever is guarding Muhl help on both Bueckers and Fudd.

Every combination has pluses and minuses. I just can't see moving 3 players from their best positions to put in a player who adds nothing new to the team on the court.
In addition, if Muhl comes off the bench in a 2 guard lineup there would be two experienced guards playing all the time and staying fresh. If Geno were to commit to a three guard offense what does he do if one of the three is injured? There is talent, but no experience except for Bettencourt.
Three guards stretches the backcourt talent to thin, especially when I am sure front court players will emerge this summer.
If Muhl is running fastbreaks then they can't do what you suggest. The other team needs a player to specifically stop the ball. And because it's a fastbreak they can't help on Paige or Azzi with another player.

In half court sets then other than Caroline the other team can help by clogging the paint with any other player too.

Third, Paige Buckers is not limited to being just a pg. She was not juts pg as a frosh. She was NPOY as a freshman for a reason. Because she is a great, great basketball player that fills the 1-3 spots seamlessly. UCONN is not losing anything with her in any of the spots. Players that a limited such as Nika and Aubrey on the offensive end are more position dependent.

Fourth, if you have Muhl Paige and Azzi starting with Muhl as the pg, then why can't the 1st substitution be for example Aubrey in and Nika out then move Paige to the pg? Why does Muhl have to come off the bench if instead she would be the 1st perimeter player to the bench?

Fifth, and if one of 3 guards is hurt then you put in another player just as you always do with any injury you’ve had. And if need be, slide players to other positions just as any team always does. What's exactly your point here?

Sixth, 3 guards starting does not stretch the backcourt too thin. In non-blowouts right now UCONN has minimum of Paige, Azzi, Nika and Caroline. And Aubrey is not just a 4. And you do what you've always done- you substitute. But substitutions don’t have to be “guard for guard.” And in very big close games at least Paige and Azzi are going to see at least 35 minutes.

Reaction Score
There are a few starting lineups that can produce here and the competition is a good thing. If we stay healthy(please), this is gonna be fun. With that being said, I have a few points.

1. Geno likes people who can score. Both Nika and Aubrey are somewhat limited offensively and with so many options, I can't see both of them starting. Geno said in the NCAAT that Aubrey is far more effective when she plays less minutes, so I think she comes off the bench. I mean, look what her presence off the bench did against Baylor. I prefer Nika and Aubrey to come off the bench, but frankly, there is no way Nika will come of the bench after the year she just had. When we get into a full court game Nika and Aubrey will be out there with Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah.

2. I agree with whoever said that Aubrey is not a traditional post and thus, won't be starting at the 4. I think the post tandem will be a combo of Jana/Aaliyah/Ice. I wish wish wish it would click for Amari, because her skill set is everything we need in the high post, but she just hasn't proven herself.

3. I think 4 people are guaranteed to start: Nika, Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah

PvP

Reaction Score
The problems is that Nika can't shoot, that is simply it! Yes, she can sometimes hit the long arching 3. Yes, she has improved on her drives to the basket, against the unsuspecting defender. But her inability to consistently hit mid range jumpers is a major problem notwithstanding her other great attributes. No shooty, no starty, it's that simple.
Definitely agree...she may well start the season for Geno to see if she has suddenly become a versatile scorer but, if not, I see KK taking her place as she demonstrates less errors in passing and far better scoring ability.

Reaction Score
That team has only 2 good 3pt shooters at this pt. Griffin was in the 3pt contest so Geno thinks she can shoot but we have yet to see her light up from 3. Edwards didn't shoot 3's last year but she has made a few. Muhl needs to improve her shooting and add a reliable mid-range but her so-so 3pt game limits the offense.
You can be a good permieter scroing team by having a mid randge game too. In this case, UCONN has 3 if we count Edwards. Assuming Caroline is hurt, while Muhl has no mid range game she shot 34.9% from 3 this year equivalent to over 52% from 2.

And Paige and Azzi aren't just "good" perimeter players. When healthy they are super. It will be very hard for bigger teams which are inherently not as quick to defend "super" multiple perimeter players. Teams have enough trouble guarding Clark from Iowa.

UCONN has beat Iowa twice these past 2 years and UCONN potentially has "2 Clarks." Good luck with the bigger slower teams trying to slow that down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom