UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Paige played the point her freshman year she not only could shoot from deep, but her shorter jumpers were almost automatic. That being said, what made her such a scoring machine and at the same time made the players around her better was her ability to penetrate to the basket, draw fouls, put a rebound back up, dish off to Olivia for an easy score. She could do it all. Putting her at the 2 would be a huge mistake, except if Geno wanted her to take things easy on that knee, and he will know whether or not he can her loose depending on what he sees in practice.
How do you sit the 2 time Big East Defender of the year and the second leading assist maker in the country who is now a senior, the leader of the team and a coach on the floor? Paige can still make plays and dish from the 2 position and can move to the 1 when Nika rests or has foul trouble. Paige is a better scorer than point guard and that is saying a lot because she is a great point guard. We didn't win the NC State game in the Elite 8 because she dished. We won because she is unstoppable offensively when even 85% healthy. I think it would be a huge mistake to put her at the 1. She is not the defender Nika is and Nika's tenacity slows up the opposing offense. Also, Azzi is not Paige at the 2. She has a different game which is more shot, as opposed to drive oriented. Everything will be out of whack. With Nika being able to dish to Paige and Jazzi you have a real explosive wing game.

Reaction Score
When Paige played the point her freshman year she not only could shoot from deep, but her shorter jumpers were almost automatic. That being said, what made her such a scoring machine and at the same time made the players around her better was her ability to penetrate to the basket, draw fouls, put a rebound back up, dish off to Olivia for an easy score. She could do it all. Putting her at the 2 would be a huge mistake, except if Geno wanted her to take things easy on that knee, and he will know whether or not he can her loose depending on what he sees in practice.
You literally just described the role of a shooting guard. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to do that with Nika in the game?

Reaction Score
I don't agree with your context of pg. IMO the South Carolina game in Paige's frosh year proved everything what you said here as a sg/sf with the capabilities you describe just as good whether it is pg/sg/sf. For example, since when can't a sg or sf make their teammates better? Since when can't a sg or sf penetrate and score or dish? Since when can't a sg or sf draw fouls? Or put a rebound back up? So, what is the point you are making? Paige has shown you she has done these things also as a Wing.

And any mention of "UCONN doesn't need another pg," completely misses the point. Usually, the idea is that you are building a team in which you want your sum being greater than the individual parts. SO this fixation on "position basketball" (i.e. comparing Paige as a pg vs Nika) is over the top. Success comes from how a team plays best together. Putting Paige at her natrual position of pg and then she brings up the ball and then have her pass to Aubrey Griffin 20 feet from the basket to the other wing is not ideal. But Nika bringing up the ball her 1st pass going to Paige is extremely ideal.

Just a note- I'm fine if Paige is pg and her 1st pass on the wing is to Azzi or Caroline if they were to start. But having either Aubrey or Nika on the wing receiving that 1st pass from Paige is nowhere near as good as Nika passing to Paige (or Azzi) with her 1st pass.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't agree with your context of pg. IMO the South Carolina game in Paige's frosh year proved everything what you said here as a sg/sf with the capabilities you describe just as good whether it is pg/sg/sf. For example, since when can't a sg or sf make their teammates better? Since when can't a sg or sf penetrate and score or dish? Since when can't a sg or sf draw fouls? Or put a rebound back up? So, what is the point you are making? Paige has shown you she has done these things also as a Wing.

And any mention of "UCONN doesn't need another pg," completely misses the point. Usually, the idea is that you are building a team in which you want your sum being greater than the individual parts. SO this fixation on "position basketball" (i.e. comparing Paige as a pg vs Nika) is over the top. Success comes from how a team plays best together. Putting Paige at her natrual position of pg and then she brings up the ball and then have her pass to Aubrey Griffin 20 feet from the basket to the other wing is not ideal. But Nika bringing up the ball her 1st pass going to Paige is extremely ideal.

Just a note- I'm fine if Paige is pg and her 1st pass on the wing is to Azzi or Caroline if they were to start. But having either Aubrey or Nika on the wing receiving that 1st pass from Paige is nowhere near as good as Nika passing to Paige (or Azzi) with her 1st pass.
I'm sure that in some cases Nika will be the PG as it has been in the past.
But the differences as to why Paige will be at PG is that complex judgments will need to be made because there's going to be more offensive weapons on the court next year.
If the PG is the quarterback and chief playmaker, then they're the one that decides who to pass it too.
Whereas what you're describing is a simple repetitive task of dishing the ball off to Paige each & every time.
That could become a recipe for players standing around leaving Paige to take the majority of the shots.
That didn't always work out very well in the past.
IMO it's better to have the player with the best judgment & playmaking ability being the primary ball handler.

If Nika is always in control of who gets the ball, then that would mean that she needs to have the best judgment which contradicts Paige being named POY as a freshman.
Paige may need more practice learning how to decide when to pass, when to shoot and who to pass it to if she's truly UConn's best bet to win a NC.
Geno's handed her the keys in the past because he trusted her more than anyone else for her court vision, ability and all the rest of her talent.
I think that there's some new team chemistry that going to happen and it will revolve around Paige & not as much on Nika being the playmaker, decision maker & team leader.
And there's also going to be times when KK will be playing PG.
I doubt that Nika thinks that she's a better PG than Paige.
There's room for multiple combinations of players being on the court and playing different roles.
Last year we had "Just go" with Azzi playing some PG until she was injured.
Last year, maybe Nika set a UConn assist record in part because she spent time on the bench the year before and she made up for lost ground due to injuries to Paige & Azzi.
But every year is different with new offensive weapons available & team chemistry.
Paige sat out a whole year which hopefully means that soon it will be her turn to be a star again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you sit the 2 time Big East Defender of the year and the second leading assist maker in the country who is now a senior, the leader of the team and a coach on the floor? Paige can still make plays and dish from the 2 position and can move to the 1 when Nika rests or has foul trouble. Paige is a better scorer than point guard and that is saying a lot because she is a great point guard. We didn't win the NC State game in the Elite 8 because she dished. We won because she is unstoppable offensively when even 85% healthy. I think it would be a huge mistake to put her at the 1. She is not the defender Nika is and Nika's tenacity slows up the opposing offense. Also, Azzi is not Paige at the 2. She has a different game which is more shot, as opposed to drive oriented. Everything will be out of whack. With Nika being able to dish to Paige and Jazzi you have a real explosive wing game.
…….and what happened to Nika’s tenacity in the clear loss to Ohio State? OSU aggressively defended four players knowing that Nika would be distributing the ball to them, their fifth player lightly defended Nika but was also sagging off her waiting for a pass that tipped or outright intercepted. Having a point guard that is not a threat to score is a big weakness no matter how good her defensive skills are. OSU exploited that and that’s why they won. I love Nika and she has her place on UConn, even sometimes as a starter, but not all the time. Nika even got major minutes when Paige was a freshman but not as a starter with Willams and Westbrook running the show. If substitute Ducharme and Fudd for those two seniors, Nika still gets major minutes but doesn’t start.

Reaction Score
They have depth at bench. And starters that will flow. I look for this to be a year that all gets minutes. They all have thier strengths. And will gel tremendously.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Paige didn’t continue to do, or do as effectively, the things you cited during the second half of the season when Nika was the starting PG? IMO Paige was exceptional all year, at PG or not. She even credited Nika with some of her success by setting her up with great screens and lead passes anticipating her movement.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Paige didn’t continue to do, or do as effectively, the things you cited during the second half of the season when Nika was the starting PG? IMO Paige was exceptional all year, at PG or not. She even credited Nika with some of her success by setting her up with great screens and lead passes anticipating her movement.
No…..that’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying that this Fall a starting five of Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme, Ayliah Edwards, and either Ice Brady or Aubrey Griffin, is the best team Geno can put on the floor. Nika is a great defender but she will be hard pressed to break into the starting lineup unless Geno wants to play 4 guards. Speaking of guards let’s not forget Ashlyn Shade and KK Arnold who will be vying for PT. If Nika develops a consistent outside shot now during the off season, then maybe I can see her starting some games.

Reaction Score

In a way there is some evidence of your point in your third paragraph. Early this season Nika frequently had two shooters in the game with her, Azzi (who was healthy then) and Lou, and she was putting up monster assist numbers and the offense was flowing. I would say that is what we should expect this year with Paige instead of Lou.

After injuries hit, Nika was generally teamed with Aubrey and perhaps one shooter in Lou, but even she was playing thru injuries during much of the later part of the year. replacing one great shooter with a driver, defender, and rebounder who lacked an outside shot made a big difference. Teams sagged off both Nika and Aubrey and packed it inside to take away many of the inside opportunities for Aaliyah and Dorka. So I agree that if Paige plays the point she needs another shooter like Caroline at the 3, but also with Nika at the point she has truly great perimeter options with Paige and Azzi, so that combo should be great.

Ideally Nika gets most of the PG minutes playing with two great shooters (Azzi, Paige), and when Paige moves to the point she can team most often with Azzi and Caroline, so that both great passers will have two good perimeter targets. The challenge is to figure out how to use Aubrey. Because Paige can create her own offense and Nika can't, if Aubrey is at the 3 Paige might be the better PG choice in a half court offense, but if we are breaking a lot Nika and Aubrey are good together too.

We also have seen the evolution of how Geno used Paige and Nika at the same time. Initially Paige was the point and Nika would find herself in the corner as a spot up three point shooter (hardly her strength). Later he switched to mostly having Nika bring the ball up and be the PG most of the time when she and Paige were in the game. That combo worked much better than the other way around.

It wasn't about who was the best PG overall, clearly that is Paige. It was which combo is best, Nika PG and Paige SG, or the other way around. Nika is a good PG and not so good as a SG. Paige is very very good at the three small positions. If they are both in together it is a pretty obvious advantage to have Nika play the point, and I think we can safely assume whether she starts or not Nika will get significant minutes, and frequently be on the floor with Paige.

Reaction Score
Geno has started them together in the past and said the team is better when Paige is starting. Nika is better in transition than Paige, seems silly to sit her just because they both play point guard when Geno had no problem playing Diana and Sue Bird together.

We can have 3-4 players in the court that can hit an outside shot consistently AND have Nika on the floor. She is a better career three point shooter than Aubrey and Caroline who would be her replacements anyways.
The % thing may be technically true but we are talking about someone who has never been fully healthy during that time. If she is finally healthy I have little doubt as to who will be the better shooter and scorer over the next two seasons!

Reaction Score
It wasn't about who was the best PG overall, clearly that is Paige. It was which combo is best, Nika PG and Paige SG, or the other way around. Nika is a good PG and not so good as a SG. Paige is very very good at the three small positions. If they are both in together it is a pretty obvious advantage to have Nika play the point, and I think we can safely assume whether she starts or not Nika will get significant minutes, and frequently be on the floor with Paige.
I do favor Nika as the starting pg, but with a big caveat and that is if her 3pt shot dips in the 20's like her soph year - that would be poor performance. Her 34.9% this year was decent.

Reaction Score
The % thing may be technically true but we are talking about someone who has never been fully healthy during that time. If she is finally healthy I have little doubt as to who will be the better shooter and scorer over the next two seasons!
We’ll see but for now Nika gets the edge since Carolina hasn’t been able to do it over the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
In a way there is some evidence of your point in your third paragraph. Early this season Nika frequently had two shooters in the game with her, Azzi (who was healthy then) and Lou, and she was putting up monster assist numbers and the offense was flowing. I would say that is what we should expect this year with Paige instead of Lou.

After injuries hit, Nika was generally teamed with Aubrey and perhaps one shooter in Lou, but even she was playing thru injuries during much of the later part of the year. replacing one great shooter with a driver, defender, and rebounder who lacked an outside shot made a big difference. Teams sagged off both Nika and Aubrey and packed it inside to take away many of the inside opportunities for Aaliyah and Dorka. So I agree that if Paige plays the point she needs another shooter like Caroline at the 3, but also with Nika at the point she has truly great perimeter options with Paige and Azzi, so that combo should be great.

Ideally Nika gets most of the PG minutes playing with two great shooters (Azzi, Paige), and when Paige moves to the point she can team most often with Azzi and Caroline, so that both great passers will have two good perimeter targets. The challenge is to figure out how to use Aubrey. Because Paige can create her own offense and Nika can't, if Aubrey is at the 3 Paige might be the better PG choice in a half court offense, but if we are breaking a lot Nika and Aubrey are good together too.

We also have seen the evolution of how Geno used Paige and Nika at the same time. Initially Paige was the point and Nika would find herself in the corner as a spot up three point shooter (hardly her strength). Later he switched to mostly having Nika bring the ball up and be the PG most of the time when she and Paige were in the game. That combo worked much better than the other way around.

When there’s only two great shooters, I see your point, but in this case there is a 3rd great shooter, ball handler, rebounder, scorer, that gets the start over Nika. Caroline. If you need to stretch a defense you don’t do it by starting Nika, the devastating loss to Ohio State clearly showed that. They sagged off her on defense but with 5 defenders on the other four players they picked off almost every pass she tried to make, or forced a shot clock or backcourt violation. If Nika only had an offensive game to go with her defensive skills she would be a starter every time.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that in some cases Nika will be the PG as it has been in the past.
But the differences as to why Paige will be at PG is that complex judgments will need to be made because there's going to be more offensive weapons on the court next year.
If the PG is the quarterback and chief playmaker, then they're the one that decides who to pass it too.
Whereas what you're describing is a simple repetitive task of dishing the ball off to Paige each & every time.
That could become a recipe for players standing around leaving Paige to take the majority of the shots.
That didn't always work out very well in the past.
IMO it's better to have the player with the best judgment & playmaking ability being the primary ball handler.

If Nika is always in control of who gets the ball, then that would mean that she needs to have the best judgment which contradicts Paige being named POY as a freshman.
Paige may need more practice learning how to decide when to pass, when to shoot and who to pass it to if she's truly UConn's best bet to win a NC.
Geno's handed her the keys in the past because he trusted her more than anyone else for her court vision, ability and all the rest of her talent.
I think that there's some new team chemistry that going to happen and it will revolve around Paige & not as much on Nika being the playmaker, decision maker & team leader.
There's room for multiple combinations of players being on the court and playing different roles.
Last year we had "Just go" with Azzi playing some PG until she was injured.
Last year, maybe Nika set a UConn assist record in part because she spent time on the bench the year before and she made up for lost ground due to injuries to Paige & Azzi.
But every year is different with new offensive weapons available & team chemistry.
Paige sat out a whole year which hopefully means that soon it will be her turn to be a star again.
You do realize that you are saying that the UConn assist record holder does not have the judgement / play making ability to be the PG. I tend to disagree.

Reaction Score
…….., then maybe I can see her starting some games.
When was the last time we had a senior who had started 70 games her first three years, was back to back BE DPOY, held a couple Husky records that only maybe could start some games? IMO, its fair to say you undervalue what Nika has done in the past and will continue to do in finishing out her Uconn career.

Reaction Score
When was the last time we had a senior who had started 70 games her first three years, was back to back BE DPOY, held a couple Husky records that only maybe could start some games? IMO, its fair to say you undervalue what Nika has done in the past and will continue to do in finishing out her Uconn career.
Titles don’t mean anything, I’d take Ducharme over Nika as a starter any day, or have you not forgotten when she put the team on her back, mid season when injuries hit the team.

Reaction Score
Assuming an ideally healthy team, our backcourt (1-3) includes Paige Azzi Caroline Nika Aubrey Inês KK Ashlynn and Q. Our ideally healthy frontcourt includes (4-5) Aaliyah Ayanna Ice Jana Amari Aubrey Caroline and Q.

Even with this ideal team, I am confident Nika will start many games and play substantial minutes in all games. It looks like we mostly think of two alternative lineups:

1) Paige Azzi Caroline and
2) Nika Azzi Paige.

1 is taller and has more scoring punch, 2 is quicker and better on D and may even have more energy. Geno will start whichever one suits a particular opponent. But we will see both groups in every game. And of course we’ll see important backcourt permutations involving Aubrey Inês KK Ashlynn and Q.

After Paige, I may be most curious about Q. I really hope we get to see her play.

Reaction Score
In regard to the bold, who said that the pg has to be the chief qb and playmaker? In Paige and Nika's frosh year vs South Carolina in which UCONN won, who was the QB in that game? You think Nika was the QB and chief playmaker?

In regard to the italics - I gave an example as to an option. Whether Nika brings up the ball or Paige, how much do you think it matters? All I was saying though was that Nika or Aubrey would be an option to collect the 1st pass if they were a wing 20+ feet from the basket vs if Piage (or Azzi) caught the pass. I was comparing if a pass went to Paige as a wing vs it going to Aubrey/Nika as a wing.

UCONN runs a motion offense. In the halfcourt set how big of a deal is it that Nika rather than Piage brings the ball up? The pg usually passes the ball once the Offense begins. It's rare the pg will one-on-one instead look ot make the 1st pass. So at leats Piage would possibly be the 1st option which is extremely ideal. So, the 1st pass if it were to go to a Wing (ofc it could also go to the 4 or 5 when they are all at the corners of the ft line), who would you rather it go to? A pass form Nika to Paige or Azzi? Or Piage brings the ball up and a pass to Azzi or Nika/Aubrey?

I'd rather it go to either Wing of Piage/Azzi if it were to be passed to a Wing. With that said, it doesn't matter much who brings up the ball in their motion offense. It's not like UCONN is a halfcourt 1 pass team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just to follow up on this part. In the 2nd half of Paige and Nika's frosh year Nika was the pg. If the pg was the supposed chief playmaker then why did Geno not have Paige be the pg (or Evina)? SO this obviously shows that Geno has complete confidence in Nika running the Offense because he already showed he did this by moving Paige off-the-ball. And that was Nika as a frosh he put in starting rotation. She's much better now.

I agree Paige (and Azzi) will be the chief playmakers. My definition of "playmaker" though is much different than yours it seems.

KK has very little chance to displace Nika. It's a bit of an insult to Nika to believe KK would. However yes in blowouts or in some comfortable wins she will take some of those minutes from Nika. But not "displace" her.

Comparing pg Paige vs pg Nika is irrelevant. It's how the sum is not individual parts. I can counter your comment though by saying that I doubt Aubrey or Nika thinks they are a better Wing than Paige. So, what's the big deal starting Paige as the Wing and have Nika bring up the ball?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Coaches love consistency when it comes to lineups, however I am hoping that Geno & staff use a bit of creativity with lineups, depending on the opponent. Whether it be guard and SF friendly to drive a press, or double bigs, etc, I'd love to see different sets during the season so that no one could prepare for a specific lineup.

sun

Reaction Score
Just to follow up on this part. In the 2nd half of Paige and Nika's frosh year Nika was the pg. If the pg was the supposed chief playmaker then why did Geno not have Paige be the pg (or Evina)? SO this obviously shows that Geno has complete confidence in Nika running the Offense because he already showed he did this by moving Paige off-the-ball. And that was Nika as a frosh he put in starting rotation. She's much better now.

I agree Paige (and Azzi) will be the chief playmakers. My definition of "playmaker" though is much different than yours it seems.

KK has very little chance to displace Nika. It's a bit of an insult to Nika to believe KK would. However yes in blowouts or in some comfortable wins she will take some of those minutes from Nika. But not "displace" her.

Comparing pg Paige vs pg Nika is irrelevant. It's how the sum is not individual parts. I can counter your comment though by saying that I doubt Aubrey or Nika thinks they are a better Wing than Paige. So, what's the big deal starting Paige as the Wing and have Nika bring up the ball?
If you look up Paige Bueckers on Wikipedia, her position is listed as UConn PG.
When Paige fractured her tibia, she was bringing the ball up the court as a PG.
Nika also plays PG, but will she be the primary PG or the only one playing PG?
I don't think so.
It would be an insult to the team and to KK for UConn to have a primary PG that can't consistently attack & finish at the basket while KK is on the bench.
The PG is not primarily a defensive position, it's an offensive position since great opposing players cannot usually be stopped from scoring or passing the ball, at least not without fouling them.
In 1995, Geno used 2 PG's, Pam Webber & Jen Rizzotti with each usually starting a different half.
If Paige plays less PG, IMO that would make it even more likely that KK will be given more opportunity to play PG at the expense of Nika's PT.
I think that Geno will want to have multiple options at PG, because players always suffer injuries and need to have reliable subs for each in the event of their absence, even if they only need rest.
It's only a matter of fast tracking KK by giving her a chance to play & develop before she's actually needed.
After all, KK is so quick & talented that she may become a super frosh & a key contributor.
AFAIK loyalty at UConn is a two way street as with being loyal to the team's success no matter who plays.
I expect that Geno will look at all of the factors when he decides on who gets PT & when.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming an ideally healthy team, our backcourt (1-3) includes Paige Azzi Caroline Nika Aubrey Inês KK Ashlynn and Q. Our ideally healthy frontcourt includes (4-5) Aaliyah Ayanna Ice Jana Amari Aubrey Caroline and Q.

Even with this ideal team, I am confident Nika will start many games and play substantial minutes in all games. It looks like we mostly think of two alternative lineups:

1) Paige Azzi Caroline and
2) Nika Azzi Paige.

1 is taller and has more scoring punch, 2 is quicker and better on D and may even have more energy. Geno will start whichever one suits a particular opponent. But we will see both groups in every game. And of course we’ll see important backcourt permutations involving Aubrey Inês KK Ashlynn and Q.

After Paige, I may be most curious about Q. I really hope we get to see her play.
Don’t forget what Caroline brings to the table height wise, on top of her shooting ability, her ball handling, and her ability to score down low. She is several inches taller than Paige, Azzi, and Nika. She’s even taller than Aubrey. I seem to recall her making a few blocks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom