UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If healthy Paige Azzi Aaliyah are starting. The other 2 positions will depend on what the team needs. They are rebounding, height, defense etc. Alot of "ifs". If ICE and Jana can rebound and score in the middle like they did in AAU ball they just may start. Griff and Caroline will see alot of action. Lets face it. Paige and Azzi will put on a show and with both of them on the court Aaliyah will be defended one on one. As good as Nika is and shes earned the starting PG position if she doesnt shoot opponents will be able to double down on our 3 AAs.
But the Defense can't "double-down" on perimeter players. Paige and Azzi are in a motion offense and quite a bit of the time moving 15-25 feet away from the basket. In addition they also are extremely efficient catch-and-shoot players. It's extremely hard to double - TWO elite perimeter players in a particular offensive set.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Wait a minute!!! :) The underlined wasn't your initial comment. Your comment was "You do know in Paige’s PG freshman year Nika didn’t start and came off the bench?"

You said the above in bold. It was wrong. Now you've compounded it by saying Nika just started 1 or 2 games. She started 15 straight games. (actually 16 but she got hurt early vs Cuse in NCAA's).

I understand you and sun and alyadar and others are concerned with lack of scoring. If she can't score a lick she'll probably eventually be replaced. But she did shoot 34.9% from 3. She was craftier this year than in the past getting to the basket with some scoring.

And by the way, Paige Bueckers did average 21 ppg in the 14 consecutive games that Nika started with her from 2/3 to 3/21 not counting the Cuse game she got hurt. So, we can throw away the comments that Nika doesn't help regardless how much she scores or spreads the floor.

Do you really think 29.1% 3pt shooter Aubrey Griffin spreads the floor? You are going to rely on the 2 freshman guards that you saw play against other h/s kids? These h/s kids in their frosh year in NCAA tourney will be going against mostly experienced juniors and 4th and 5th year seniors. It's possible but you can't say this in May with an iota of certainty they should play.

So, it comes down to Ice or Caroline vs Nika unless Aubrey can show a perimeter game. If Caroline is healthy - sure. It’s one thing if you think KK or Ashley can be that but to argue it that they certainly will for players you never saw 1 minute play college ball and with no reference of how they are performing in practices (for example we heard Ice was doing terrific in practices) would be completely absurd. It's not like KK and Ashley were thought to be Paige or Azzi coming out of H/S.

The fight you and others are showing here against Nika is ridiculous when you make comments that she was always on the bench, or others make mention that there must be a scoring pg, or others mentioning if you start Paige and Azzi and Nika, you have no pg to come off the bench completely disregarding once you take out Nika then you slide Paige to pg.
There you go... well said!!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
But the Defense can't "double-down" on perimeter players. Paige and Azzi are in a motion offense and quite a bit of the time moving 15-25 feet away from the basket. In addition they also are extremely efficient catch-and-shoot players. It's extremely hard to double - TWO elite perimeter players in a particular offensive set.
And who's better at hitting those shooters on ur the cuts? Aubrey, Caroline, or Nika...I'll wait.

Reaction Score
In a way there is some evidence of your point in your third paragraph. Early this season Nika frequently had two shooters in the game with her, Azzi (who was healthy then) and Lou, and she was putting up monster assist numbers and the offense was flowing. I would say that is what we should expect this year with Paige instead of Lou.

After injuries hit, Nika was generally teamed with Aubrey and perhaps one shooter in Lou, but even she was playing thru injuries during much of the later part of the year. replacing one great shooter with a driver, defender, and rebounder who lacked an outside shot made a big difference. Teams sagged off both Nika and Aubrey and packed it inside to take away many of the inside opportunities for Aaliyah and Dorka. So I agree that if Paige plays the point she needs another shooter like Caroline at the 3, but also with Nika at the point she has truly great perimeter options with Paige and Azzi, so that combo should be great.

Ideally Nika gets most of the PG minutes playing with two great shooters (Azzi, Paige), and when Paige moves to the point she can team most often with Azzi and Caroline, so that both great passers will have two good perimeter targets. The challenge is to figure out how to use Aubrey. Because Paige can create her own offense and Nika can't, if Aubrey is at the 3 Paige might be the better PG choice in a half court offense, but if we are breaking a lot Nika and Aubrey are good together too.

We also have seen the evolution of how Geno used Paige and Nika at the same time. Initially Paige was the point and Nika would find herself in the corner as a spot up three point shooter (hardly her strength). Later he switched to mostly having Nika bring the ball up and be the PG most of the time when she and Paige were in the game. That combo worked much better than the other way around.

It wasn't about who was the best PG overall, clearly that is Paige. It was which combo is best, Nika PG and Paige SG, or the other way around. Nika is a good PG and not so good as a SG. Paige is very very good at the three small positions. If they are both in together it is a pretty obvious advantage to have Nika play the point, and I think we can safely assume whether she starts or not Nika will get significant minutes, and frequently be on the floor with Paige.
Paige is our PG so stop the nonsense of having Nika start at point. She will come in as possibly our 6th player depending on how the freshman adapt. And i hope they are ready to go for this team to be real good.

Reaction Score
I just think Paige "passing the ball" is not as good in college as Paige "shooting the ball."
And UCONN runs a motion Offense. So until the Offensive shot clock winds down how much does Paige need to run things? And once it does just give her the ball.
Thanks for the response to my post.

Paige is one of the best passers, if not the best passer, in college basketball. Per DT. I agree that a pg is less important in a motion offense, but a pg is still important, and Paige does run things out there. Paige might get fewer assists than she would otherwise because she shoots the ball a lot.

I want Paige and Nika to start together, meaning Nika would be the pg. But I think Geno will eventually put Paige at the point, as he did during Paige and Nika’s sophomore year.

One way to look at it is this. Barring something unexpected, Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah will start. Geno likes to play two bigs, so that leaves a spot for one more guard. Is Nika the third best guard on the team? Maybe. Would Geno prefer to have the third guard be a taller player, such as Caroline, or a taller and more athletic player, such as Aubrey? What about the freshmen?

Whatever happens, I expect Nika to be an important part of UConn’s success, and she could still be drafted without being a starter. It happens.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute!!! :) The underlined wasn't your initial comment. Your comment was "You do know in Paige’s PG freshman year Nika didn’t start and came off the bench?"

You said the above in bold. It was wrong. Now you've compounded it by saying Nika just started 1 or 2 games. She started 15 straight games. (actually 16 but she got hurt early vs Cuse in NCAA's).

I understand you and sun and alyadar and others are concerned with lack of scoring. If she can't score a lick she'll probably eventually be replaced. But she did shoot 34.9% from 3. She was craftier this year than in the past getting to the basket with some scoring.

And by the way, Paige Bueckers did average 21 ppg in the 14 consecutive games that Nika started with her from 2/3 to 3/21 not counting the Cuse game she got hurt. So, we can throw away the comments that Nika doesn't help regardless how much she scores or spreads the floor.

Do you really think 29.1% 3pt shooter Aubrey Griffin spreads the floor? You are going to rely on the 2 freshman guards that you saw play against other h/s kids? These h/s kids in their frosh year in NCAA tourney will be going against mostly experienced juniors and 4th and 5th year seniors. It's possible but you can't say this in May with an iota of certainty they should play.

So, it comes down to Ice or Caroline vs Nika unless Aubrey can show a perimeter game. If Caroline is healthy - sure. It’s one thing if you think KK or Ashley can be that but to argue it that they certainly will for players you never saw 1 minute play college ball and with no reference of how they are performing in practices (for example we heard Ice was doing terrific in practices) would be completely absurd. It's not like KK and Ashley were thought to be Paige or Azzi coming out of H/S.

The fight you and others are showing here against Nika is ridiculous when you make comments that she was always on the bench, or others make mention that there must be a scoring pg, or others mentioning if you start Paige and Azzi and Nika, you have no pg to come off the bench completely disregarding once you take out Nika then you slide Paige to pg.
You were right, and I was wrong. I just don’t remember things well like I used to. Sorry about that. Sucks getting old. That being said, as things stand now, I still think the best team Geno can put on the floor next Fall, providing everyone is healthy, is Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ayliah Edwards, and Griffin. Nika and Brady are first off the bench. Plus don’t count out KK Arnold as a starter if she’s as good a PG and scorer as advertised. Also, if Nika all of sudden starts stroking it in practice, then all bets are off.

Reaction Score
What Tony is saying is if Nika is not a major threat to score from the perimeter, the defense can concentrate on Azzi, Paige and Edwards. So, oh yes the defense can double down, and minus Paige, that’s exactly what Ohio State did to us in the NCAA tournament, when your point guard makes 7 turnovers things get ugly, and they did. Nika needs an offensive mindset, something she didn’t have in that game.

Reaction Score
Paige is our PG so stop the nonsense of having Nika start at point. She will come in as possibly our 6th player depending on how the freshman adapt. And i hope they are ready to go for this team to be real good.
Geno's opinion of course is far more important than yours or mine, but it is my impression that a majority of the posters here believe that both Nika and Paige will start, and that a majority of those that think both will start think it makes more sense to have Nika on the ball and Paige off it, vs. the other way around.

The decision doesn't rest solely with what is Paige's best position (probably PG, but she can also be great at SG and SF), and it also isn't simply a question of who is the best PG overall (which is clearly Paige). Rather it is what combination of three players for 1-3 is most effective, and what positions works the best for that trio.

It didn't start that way, but around midway thru their second season Geno started letting Nika run the point more and Paige play off the ball when they were both in the game, and that was more effective than the other way around, largely because Nika was not nearly as good off the ball, and Paige was great at both positions. They haven't been able to play together sense, but I have no reason to believe Geno would reverse those roles when they are playing together this year.

The most likely reason Nika might not start at PG is that she won't start period, not that if Nika and Paige both start, Paige will play the point. The argument for Caroline or Aubrey being the third small with Paige and Azzi obviously is one many on the Boneyard support. I don't think it is the best option, but it is clearly a good and viable one and in that case the position assignments are obvious, Caroline or Aubrey at the 3, Azzi at the 2, and Paige at the 1.

So to me who starts at the point is not a Nika vs. Paige debate, but rather who the third small starter is. If Caroline or Aubrey starts, then Paige is the PG. If Nika starts she is the point guard. Before last season started I expected Caroline to start at the 3 and Nika to come off the bench. But Nika stepped up after Paige's injury, and Caroline had a terrible injury plagued season. The burden of proof is now on Caroline to show she has returned to form, and it is Nika who has incumbent starter status until someone else clearly outplays her.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the response to my post.

Paige is one of the best passers, if not the best passer, in college basketball. Per DT. I agree that a pg is less important in a motion offense, but a pg is still important, and Paige does run things out there. Paige might get fewer assists than she would otherwise because she shoots the ball a lot.

I want Paige and Nika to start together, meaning Nika would be the pg. But I think Geno will eventually put Paige at the point, as he did during Paige and Nika’s sophomore year.

One way to look at it is this. Barring something unexpected, Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah will start. Geno likes to play two bigs, so that leaves a spot for one more guard. Is Nika the third best guard on the team? Maybe. Would Geno prefer to have the third guard be a taller player, such as Caroline, or a taller and more athletic player, such as Aubrey? What about the freshmen?

Whatever happens, I expect Nika to be an important part of UConn’s success, and she could still be drafted without being a starter. It happens.
Thanks, bballer I liked your post.

If Caroline is healthy, a lineup of Paige/Azzi/Caroline is extremely incredible. But if not Caroline, assuming she is not 100 healthy, who would be the other guard ahead of Nika?

And secondly, UCONN doesn't run the Iowa one-player offense. What they have when they start Nika is three extremely superior IQ guards. That combination makes Paige and Azzi off-the-planet scary. And while Paige has a great b-ball IQ, Geno's is superior. And what I've heard a lot from Geno is that he wants them to shoot. Paige shot 46.4% her frosh year from 3pt range. We've heard both Geno and Chris say that when Azzi misses, they are surprised. OFC an exaggeration but the point is these two players efficiency as overall scorers is far superior to any other player on the team. And as efficient scorers arguably in the tops of all of wcbb and yet they are teammates. So UCONN has two freaks.

IMo their ability to score efficiently overrides anything else. It doesn't mean they take all the shots. It’s just that in a motion offense they should be able to get a lot of them and in other cases work the ball to try to get easy inside baskets for others because their threat to score is so super. And in blowouts the core players some add'l minutes which will result in more shots leading to hopeful eventual improved team efficiency come tourney time.

Reaction Score
Geno's opinion of course is far more important than yours or mine, but it is my impression that a majority of the posters here believe that both Nika and Paige will start, and that a majority of those that think both will start think it makes more sense to have Nika on the ball and Paige off it, vs. the other way around.

The decision doesn't rest solely with what is Paige's best position (probably PG, but she can also be great at SG and SF), and it also isn't simply a question of who is the best PG overall (which is clearly Paige). Rather it is what combination of three players for 1-3 is most effective, and what positions works the best for that trio.

It didn't start that way, but around midway thru their second season Geno started letting Nika run the point more and Paige play off the ball when they were both in the game, and that was more effective than the other way around, largely because Nika was not nearly as good off the ball, and Paige was great at both positions. They haven't been able to play together sense, but I have no reason to believe Geno would reverse those roles when they are playing together this year.

The most likely reason Nika might not start at PG is that she won't start period, not that if Nika and Paige both start, Paige will play the point. The argument for Caroline or Aubrey being the third small with Paige and Azzi obviously is one many on the Boneyard support. I don't think it is the best option, but it is clearly a good and viable one and in that case the position assignments are obvious, Caroline or Aubrey at the 3, Azzi at the 2, and Paige at the 1.

So to me who starts at the point is not a Nika vs. Paige debate, but rather who the third small starter is. If Caroline or Aubrey starts, then Paige is the PG. If Nika starts she is the point guard. Before last season started I expected Caroline to start at the 3 and Nika to come off the bench. But Nika stepped up after Paige's injury, and Caroline had a terrible injury plagued season. The burden of proof is now on Caroline to show she has returned to form, and it is Nika who has incumbent starter status until someone else clearly outplays her.
Everything you said here I agree with. 100%. I can see Paige/Azzi/Ducharme but as you point out Caroline has a lot to prove. Though I wouldn't argue it.

Reaction Score
What Tony is saying is if Nika is not a major threat to score from the perimeter, the defense can concentrate on Azzi, Paige and Edwards. So, oh yes the defense can double down, and minus Paige, that’s exactly what Ohio State did to us in the NCAA tournament, when your point guard makes 7 turnovers things get ugly, and they did. Nika needs an offensive mindset, something she didn’t have in that game.
I don't think you can double down on a healthy Paige and a healthy Azzi. A hurt Lou and a hurt Azzi and an Edwards in foul trouble the whole game and an ineffective Caroline, then yes you can double down.

But this point I don't think each of us care to address doubling-down in May. I'll just add UCONN was ranked top 5 this year with a shell of a team. Add in a heathy Paige?Azzi?Caroline and another year expereice with Edwards/Nika,Griffin with their experience it would have to be one helluva double-down and the react.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You do realize that you are saying that the UConn assist record holder does not have the judgement / play making ability to be the PG. I tend to disagree.
I also don't think people realize there we 351 division 1 basketball teams last year and Nika, the woman with the second highest total of assists, ranked 31 in assist to turnover ratio. My math may be fuzzy but that's top 10 percent!!! The narrative that she is reckless with the ball is an oversimplification of her game. Can she cut down on some TOs, sure, but that is the pace Geno wants and it is high risk, high reward. The easiest way to score is to push the tempo before the defense can set up. That is the quintessential UCONN pg's job and she is prolific at getting the ball to the right people!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
…….and what happened to Nika’s tenacity in the clear loss to Ohio State? OSU aggressively defended four players knowing that Nika would be distributing the ball to them, their fifth player lightly defended Nika but was also sagging off her waiting for a pass that tipped or outright intercepted. Having a point guard that is not a threat to score is a big weakness no matter how good her defensive skills are. OSU exploited that and that’s why they won. I love Nika and she has her place on UConn, even sometimes as a starter, but not all the time. Nika even got major minutes when Paige was a freshman but not as a starter with Willams and Westbrook running the show. If substitute Ducharme and Fudd for those two seniors, Nika still gets major minutes but doesn’t start.
Actually Muhl did start 15 of her 23 games as a FR with The Kid.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You were right, and I was wrong. I just don’t remember things well like I used to. Sorry about that. Sucks getting old. That being said, as things stand now, I still think the best team Geno can put on the floor next Fall, providing everyone is healthy, is Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ayliah Edwards, and Griffin. Nika and Brady are first off the bench. Plus don’t count out KK Arnold as a starter if she’s as good a PG and scorer as advertised. Also, if Nika all of sudden starts stroking it in practice, then all bets are off.
It isn't a memory thing. When you are stating facts/stats, just go look them up. I can't remember who started which game or how many starts each player had. I have to go look them up. They put out the Media Guide every year for a reason.

Reaction Score
We didn't lose that game because Nika doesn't have an offensive mind set. We lost it because we were pressed and had 25 turnovers. We lost it as a team. At the end of the game Geno said we lost because he never solved the turnover issue. Yes, Nika needs work in the department because she tried to force too much but we didn't get the ball past half court in the press so I fail to see how not being a scorer was an issue. She had a pretty good year. Geno himself has said that the team works better with her out there. She is starting.

Reaction Score
We didn't lose that game because Nika doesn't have an offensive mind set. We lost it because we were pressed and had 25 turnovers. We lost it as a team. At the end of the game Geno said we lost because he never solved the turnover issue. Yes, Nika needs work in the department because she tried to force too much but we didn't get the ball past half court in the press so I fail to see how not being a scorer was an issue. She had a pretty good year. Geno himself has said that the team works better with her out there. She is starting.
No way, we lost because she didn’t head for the half court line as fast as she could. She picked up her dribble in the backcourt and tried to pass it in the backcourt and that’s when they bottled her up or tipped the pass. When it was five on five in the backcourt, UConn should made it a track meet to the hoop, but for that to happen the point guard needs an offensive mind set.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No way, we lost because she didn’t head for the half court line as fast as she could. She picked up her dribble in the backcourt and tried to pass it in the backcourt and that’s when they bottled her up or tipped the pass. When it was five on five in the backcourt, UConn should made it a track meet to the hoop, but for that to happen the point guard needs an offensive mind set.
Nika is not the only one that messed up in the Sweet Sixteen game, but if you feel better dishing her that's your right. The whole team was tired especially the starting five, stuff happens and it did in this game.

I would like to address all of the Not Nika fans on what she did this season, something that no other UConn PG has done. She has the single season assists record with 284 assists. She is on the single game assists Top 10 list in every placement from #1 to #9, tied with 7 other players in the 9th position.

1. 15 assists - Nika
2. 14 assists - Paige (20-21) and Nika
4. 13 assists - Susie Sturman (79-80), Laura Lishman (90-91), Renee Montgomery (08-09) and Nika twice
9. 12 assists - Nika twice, Paige, and 6 other players

Since the 2020-21 season there have been 18 double digit assist games by a UConn player and Nika has 13 of them, with Paige and Evina each having two and Olivia having one. She also only needs another 227 assists to become the top assists leader in UConn history.

Reaction Score
One person cannot single handily break a determined press. You are over looking the fact that all year Edwards was instrumental in helping break the press. People were calling her a point-forward. But with Edwards sitting on the bench in foul trouble the press was that much more effective. The other 4 people on the court? Mostly standing around...

Reaction Score
Nika is not the only one that messed up in the Sweet Sixteen game, but if you feel better dishing her that's your right. The whole team was tired especially the starting five, stuff happens and it did in this game.

I would like to address all of the Not Nika fans on what she did this season, something that no other UConn PG has done. She has the single season assists record with 284 assists. She is on the single game assists Top 10 list in every placement from #1 to #9, tied with 7 other players in the 9th position.

1. 15 assists - Nika
2. 14 assists - Paige (20-21) and Nika
4. 13 assists - Susie Sturman (79-80), Laura Lishman (90-91), Renee Montgomery (08-09) and Nika twice
9. 12 assists - Nika twice, Paige, and 6 other players

Since the 2020-21 season there have been 18 double digit assist games by a UConn player and Nika has 13 of them, with Paige and Evina each having two and Olivia having one. She also only needs another 227 assists to become the top assists leader in UConn history.
I’m in the pro Nika camp. I hope she is the starting PG with Paige as the 2. But stats sometimes lie. One reason Nika has so many assists is that she doesn’t shoot a lot compared with, for example, Paige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom