UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Year 2023-2024 can be one of the best women basketball team in UConn history.
My guess of the starting five:
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

First out bench: Caroline Ducharme

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

Today is April 28, 2023. Today, I can't argue with this potential starting line-up. During the first week in November, that might change, but I can go with THIS one for now and throughout the summer. :cool: Season, experienced veterans every one of them. All of them have started in the past. You're going to get some "push-back" on the lineup. We do this every summer. There will be posters that may not have Nika or Aubrey in theirs and will give you chapter and verse why. Some might have Caroline starting and Aubrey coming off the bench. I think Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are locks to start next season. A lot can happen in 7 months.

Reaction Score
There will be endless conversation about who will start (I'm assuming we're talking about the first game) but Kaizen nailed it right out of the gate. Unless one or more of those five are not available when the season starts there isn't going to be anything we hear between now and November that will put any of them on the bench.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There will be endless conversation about who will start (I'm assuming we're talking about the first game) but Kaizen nailed it right out of the gate. Unless one or more of those five are not available when the season starts there isn't going to be anything we hear between now and November that will put any of them on the bench.
That's all I'm talking about. The first game. Remember Geno benched starters Saniyah Chong and Kiah Stokes after the second game against Stanford in 2014 (that we lost in OT) in favor of freshman Kia Nurse and red-shirt sophomore Morgan Tuck. Chong nor Stokes started another game that year. If I remember correctly, freshman Gabby Williams started 3-4 games that year.

That game was played @ Stanford. I'll bet that was a very quiet plane ride back to Bradley International. We have no idea especially right now who the starters will be that first week in December. A lot can happen between now and then (8 months). :cool:

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Today is April 28, 2023. Today, I can't argue with this potential starting line-up. During the first week in November, that might change, but I can go with THIS one for now and throughout the summer. :cool: Season, experienced veterans every one of them. All of them have started in the past. You're going to get some "push-back" on the lineup. We do this every summer. There will be posters that may not have Nika or Aubrey in theirs and will give you chapter and verse why. Some might have Caroline starting and Aubrey coming off the bench. I think Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are locks to start next season. A lot can happen in 7 months.
LMAO, are we going to have another debate about Nika? She is the point guard, Paige is the SG, Azzi is the small forward. Aubrey and Aaliyah are the forwards. We need people on the floor that can score, and we need a player on the floor that can get them the ball in the best position possible. @Kaizen has the right line-up, the fight will be who will be the players off the bench, and how many. THAT is going to be the question, who will step up for the bench minutes on this team. No brainer on the starters, but after that, the competition will be fierce. Love that!

Carnac

Reaction Score
LMAO, are we going to have another debate about Nika? She is the point guard, Paige is the SG, Azzi is the small forward. Aubrey and Aaliyah are the forwards. We need people on the floor that can score, and we need a player on the floor that can get them the ball in the best position possible. @Kaizen has the right line-up, the fight will be who will be the players off the bench, and how many. THAT is going to be the question, who will step up for the bench minutes on this team. No brainer on the starters, but after that, the competition will be fierce. Love that!
Yes!! All summer. You know there are posters that will debate her status as a starter next season. They don't see Nika as you or I do. I know there will be those that want Caroline to start. It's coming. How many different starting lineups did we see in the yard last summer? You remember. I agree with Kaizen's starters right now!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the right line-up, the fight will be who will be the players off the bench, and how many. THAT is going to be the question, who will step up for the bench minutes on this team. No brainer on the starters, but after that, the competition will be fierce. Love that!
Yes, I have Nika as the main 5 because Nika is the best ball handling player in this team and we need her. (Paige can be but we will see)

But Caroline has the experience and height advantage. So I think she will be first out the bench then comes Ayanna (6'2") or Jana El Alfy (6.4"). JMHO

Reaction Score
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

Sorry, too small of a starting lineup. Either El Alfy or Brady will be starting in lieu of Aubrey. She is not a 4 and she is to slight of frame. If you look at previous history, Geno likes to have a true big in the lineup. Furthermore, why take Aaliyah out of her natural position to place her in the center spot?

Aubrey is best utilized coming off the bench with her defensive tenacity and flying up and down the court. Caroline is another who will produce off the bench. Remember, the bench was missing this past season.

Reaction Score
That’s not all I’m talking about.

Paige Azzi Aaliyah are the only locks whether it’s November or January. After them, there’s a significant difference depending on when in the season.

In November, I guess Nika and Aubrey. In January, I guess Caroline and Ice. But it’s complicated.

Aubrey may start that first game in November but I don’t think she’ll start in January. She’s just too good coming off the bench. You can’t be explosive for 30 or 40 mins. Aubrey is best when she’s explosive.

Nika will start that first game in November. But she can also be an explosive player off the bench. I suspect come January Geno will know whether his best lineup is Nika for 30-35 mins from the start or Nika coming off the bench with Aubrey. This may even change game by game all season long. Nika Azzi Paige is a special backcourt but it’s not the speediest one Geno can put out there, or the biggest. By February I suspect we’ll see some games where he starts Paige Azzi Caroline and some where he starts Paige Azzi KK.

Now, who starts next to Aaliyah? In November it’s likely to be Aubrey or Caroline initially. But I expect we’ll see Ayanna Ice and Jana get more and more minutes as the OOC progress. By January, I suspect one of Ice or Jana will start.

And by March, this speculation gets really interesting. Whether it’s Ice or Jana starting next to Aaliyah, good things are in store for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Now, who starts next to Aaliyah? In November it’s likely to be Aubrey or Caroline initially. But I expect we’ll see Ayanna Ice and Jana get more and more minutes as the OOC progress. By January, I suspect one of Ice or Jana will start.

And by March, this speculation gets really interesting. Whether it’s Ice or Jana starting next to Aaliyah, good things are in store for the Huskies.
What do you think about Ayanna Patterson and Amari DeBerry?

Reaction Score
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

this lineup is too small
Paige
Azzi
Griffin
Aaliyah
Patterson

Reaction Score
What do you think about Ayanna Patterson and Amari DeBerry?
Good question. I hope each of them start a few games at some point in the season unrelated to injuries. But I doubt either one will start regularly.

If Ayanna starts in front of Jana or Ice, it’s for a specialized situation, an opponent against whom her strength and speed will be be useful.

If Amari starts at the 5, it can only be because she’s won the position from Jana and Ice. I really hope we see this come about because a deep front court with Jana and Ice as understudies to a newly empowered Amari would make us awesome.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think Muhl, Bueckers, Fudd, and Edwards are locks. I dunno whether it would be Ducharme or Griffin first game.

I agree with some posters above that it's likely a second big would be starting later in the season. I'm thinking Brady.

I like the idea of both Muhl and Bueckers starting because I like having two point guards. Imagine the OSU game with two point guards. I think it would have changed the outcome. (Heck, I like the intensity and joy they'll bring too -- good cop bad cop.) I think UConn will have two players with 200 assists for the second time. I like having Ducharme and/or Griffin first off the bench because it gives instant offense and/or instant defense. I'm hoping Brady and Edwards will have a classic high/low game, with either in either position.

As Vezzini said in the Princess Bride, Wait till I get going!

Reaction Score
Who ever starts will provide some of the best offense in the country, strong defense, and smart overall teamwork. Predict some of the newer players such as Jana and Arnold will get unforested amount of playing time. With Griffin and others, will be one of the fastest, best defensive UConn teams in many years.

Reaction Score
It will be fascinating to see just how Geno handles this wealth of talent...........I suspect that Ice Brady will work her way into the starting lineup by mid-January............ let's hope that great play in practice determines who plays instead of injuries.......

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Ashlyn Shade will break into the starting line up with Paige and Azzi. My bigs are Jana and Aalijah Edwards with NIka, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna and Ice coming off the bench depending on the situation and team needs. Shade will distinguish herself as one of the best and timely shooters along with Azzi. She is also great on defense. A Stalwart IMHO.

Reaction Score
Azzi is a question mark. She is a must start but she has demonstrated that she is streaky and not tough/take charge. Injury may have affected her willingness to mix it up. She was tougher in High School. Her performance in the Ohio State game, IMO was very discouraging. Shade may show that she, like Paige, is ready for the big time from Freshman year on......

Carnac

Reaction Score
Bald Huskie.....like the guy said on the old Verizon commercials......."Can you hear me now?" :rolleyes:

I NOT saying or suggesting anyone of the posters are wrong...Heaven forbid. I'm just saying I knew Kaizen would get some pushback, and he did because others have a different point of view. Official team practice does not begin for 5 months. Once it does, we have no way of knowing whose stock will rise or fall between the first practice and the first (non-exhibition) preseason game in November. That's why I said I will re-evaluate this the night before that first game in November. Any questions we have now about any of the players on the roster including the freshmen should be addressed by the UConn WBB beat writers by then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see Paige as PG, Azzi as SG, Caroline guard/SF, Aubrey PF, and Aaliyah C. Nika first off the bench. More size, more scoring from the start. Of course, everything depends on health!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32