UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As long as Geno has other scoring options Bueckers will stay at pg.
This is probably true if Caroline is healthy. If she isn't then passing the ball to Aubrey on the perimeter is not a better option than Muhl.

Secondly, Geno's best 2 scoring options are Paige and Azzi. Passing the ball to lesser talented / effcient players unless it's for layups is not as good as Piage and Azzi taking shots. That's why Nika will probably start depedning on how Gneo views Carolien's health.

Reaction Score
The single biggest opponent UCONN has had the last two years is injuries. That's everything once again.
I was looking at LSU stats the other day and noticed that of their top 8 players they only had 2 missed games total. Some of the other top teams were similarly fortunate, and some had devastating injuries like Notre Dame, but none of the top ranked teams in preseason had as much to overcome as we did.

That might have been true even without the in season issues, just from knowing Paige and Ice would miss the entire season. Then we add Dorka out for I think 8 games, Caroline in and out of the lineup but never playing like the previous year, Azzi missing a ton of time being mediocre on her return, and only having the first half dozen games or so healthy when she was great, and on and on.

The 20/21 season was viewed as a "Black Swan" event with how much injuries impacted that year and most of us thought this last season couldn't possibly be worse for injuries, but in the end it was.

Reaction Score
There will be so much talent next season (of course barring another injury plagued season) and it will be fun to see what combination of players works best, depending on matchups. We have a number of very versatile players. In close games, the starting lineup won't matter as much as who finishes.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't believe that it matters who starts because the whole season is going to be a work in progress.
I believe that there will be changes made compared to last year in part due to their early exit from the NCAAT.
Geno had complained that players didn't listen to his instructions enough to execute his game plan last year.
I don't see how past performance automatically translates into being rewarded.

I believe that Geno will be doing a lot of experimenting with all of the new players on the roster.
He's not going to run players into the ground early in the season, there will be plenty of substitutions made.
Some players like KK & Ice will need to be fast tracked to gain valuable game experience & chemistry.
Geno will reward those that have more innate BB ability & advanced skills.
KK has shown that she knows how to finish at the hoop & penetrate.
Geno will also reward those that know how to box out opponents & can consistently score on 3 levels such as Ice has shown before coming to UConn.
I think that he'll also reward those who have a mid-range game because 3 PT shots have a lower percentage.
Of course he'll reward those who can play defense & have quickness too.
But a pecking order is going to be developed based on ability and not popularity.
Geno will learn which new players are more prone to making mistakes.

The whole WCBB world is going to be watching how Geno manages the UConn roster.
There's going to be injuries, sprains, concussions, foul troubles & bumps in the road.
But I doubt that Geno will be subbing in the wrong players in a close game.
Geno knows all about their deficiencies & inconsistencies & even about the arthritis that each player has.

UConn has the chance to have an undefeated season and to win a NC.
The rest is up to Geno & fate.
I believe that players can improve throughout the season & get promoted over other players who aren't in sync.
At the end of the year, folks can add up all of their minutes which I don't think that it makes a difference whether they're starting minutes or not.
As always, each game gets played one at a time.
I doubt that anything much will be new except which players will be on the court scoring more of the points & receiving more PT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't see it that way. Our team fell apart because they were emotionally exhausted after a grueling season. The guards couldn't break the press because everyone was standing around. That's a sure sign they were spent.
It’s possible that the team was emotionally exhausted, but I’d be cautious about concluding that based on one game. Prior to the Ohio State game, many people were talking about the renewed energy of UConn due to the rest periods before the Big East and NCAA tournaments.

Before the end of the regular season, Geno and Nika said that the team had curtailed the length of its practices due to injuries. In contrast, prior to the Ohio State game, the team had longer, more grueling practices. Perhaps they overcompensated? I sometimes wonder if some of the team members left a lot of their energy on the practice floor before they played tOSU.

After the Ohio State game, I saw an interview with one of the Ohio State players, and she credited their strength and conditioning coach with giving them the energy and stamina to implement their press effectively.

I agree with you that UConn players were standing around during the Ohio State game (Lou was a notable exception). They looked torpid.

It was interesting to see how energetic and effective Georgia Amoore and her Virginia Tech teammates were against Ohio State. They sliced through Ohio State’s press like a hot knife through butter, forcing tOSU to abandon its press.

Reaction Score
After the Ohio State game, I saw an interview with one of the Ohio State players, and she credited their strength and conditioning coach with giving them the energy and stamina to implement their press effectively.

I agree with you that UConn players were standing around during the Ohio State game (Lou was a notable exception). They looked torpid.

It was interesting to see how energetic and effective Georgia Amoore and her Virginia Tech teammates were against Ohio State. They sliced through Ohio State’s press like a hot knife through butter, forcing tOSU to abandon its press.
I thought I read/heard the OS Coach said his team's press was much less effective in E8 vs S16 because he had a week off for the S16 vs 1 day E8.

Reaction Score
The only reason to start your second best pg is a) if your best pg is injured, b) if there is a need at another position. Especially if your best pg is the best pg in the world.

Starting Muhl means moving 3 other starters from their best position. That doesn't sound like Geno, who always wants to start his STRONGEST team. There is no reason to move Bueckers from the pg position EXCEPT to start Muhl and it makes no sense to leave Edwards as the only player over 6'1 on the court to start a game against SCar or any team with frontcourt depth.

Remember, I'm only talking about the starting team. Muhl could end up with the same minutes as the other 2 guards.

Reaction Score
The only reason to start your second best pg is a) if your best pg is injured, b) if there is a need at another position. Especially if your best pg is the best pg in the world.

Starting Muhl means moving 3 other starters from their best position. That doesn't sound like Geno, who always wants to start his STRONGEST team. There is no reason to move Bueckers from the pg position EXCEPT to start Muhl and it makes no sense to leave Edwards as the only player over 6'1 on the court to start a game against SCar or any team with frontcourt depth.

Remember, I'm only talking about the starting team. Muhl could end up with the same minutes as the other 2 guards.
This continues to make no sense to me. Why would Paige be moved from the point guard position because Muhl was starting? Have Nike play the point in transition, and the wing in the half court and Paige play the point guard in the half court. Especially with Paige and Azzi coming back from injuries it makes sense to have another strong ball handler and perimeter defender in to start the game with them.

Why can't you start Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah and then a center?

Why does everyone make this so complicated?

Reaction Score
I was looking at LSU stats the other day and noticed that of their top 8 players they only had 2 missed games total. Some of the other top teams were similarly fortunate, and some had devastating injuries like Notre Dame, but none of the top ranked teams in preseason had as much to overcome as we did.

That might have been true even without the in season issues, just from knowing Paige and Ice would miss the entire season. Then we add Dorka out for I think 8 games, Caroline in and out of the lineup but never playing like the previous year, Azzi missing a ton of time being mediocre on her return, and only having the first half dozen games or so healthy when she was great, and on and on.

The 20/21 season was viewed as a "Black Swan" event with how much injuries impacted that year and most of us thought this last season couldn't possibly be worse for injuries, but in the end it was.
Sadly it was far worse. Playing 5 players out of necessity takes an unusual toll on a cumulative basis. We played our hearts out against SC and then had nothing in the tank for our next BE game. Don't forget that LSU on purpose played no one in their OOC schedule for several reasons. One was for the record and the other was to preserve the players while you were trying to formulate and coalesce the team. We are the opposite. We don't have an AAC schedule anymore and the BE is improving very year. Our OOC schedule is frightening.

Reaction Score

IMO this is all wrong.

First off you had previously implied/said on this thread that people are making things up to start Muhl. Well, that's exactly what you're doing with your 1st paragraph.

Second, since when has Geno ever been so narrowly tied down to position basketball as you are implying here? Whose to say you're definition of STRONGEST is what Geno thinks? I only ask that because yours and mine are different.

Third, UCONN doesn't play SC every game or every week. We applaud other teams for not changing their style when they play against UCONN. Well, other than an occasional game, it's okay if Geno doesn't change their starting lineup other that the top 2 or 3 teams for those very few elite teams with size. UCONN got to Final Four in 2020-2021 with Evina Westbrook as PF AND Paige Buckers playing non-PG for many games in which Paige was NPOY.

Let's remember, Geno did not have Paige play PG quite a bit once he put Muhl in the starting lineup in 2020-2021 in which Paige was a superstar. Muhl was the pg and Page was the SG. Then CWill moved from the SG to the SF. And then Evina moved from a perimeter player at Tenn to starter at the 4 at UCONN. This is 3 player's not playing to their top position?

This example Geno .has already shown us he is willing to do (go very small). Why is there so much effort being put forth trying to minimize Geno's past coaching, and especially Muhl's play? IMO way too many excuses trying so hard to minimize Muhl. I'm good with Paige/Azzi/Caroline 1/2/3 but way too much unnecessary fight if Muhl is in.

Reaction Score
There will be so much talent next season (of course barring another injury plagued season) and it will be fun to see what combination of players works best, depending on matchups. We have a number of very versatile players. In close games, the starting lineup won't matter as much as who finishes.
I’m thinking there won’t be a whole lot of close games.:)
You are right though, we are going to have (knock wood) plenty of talent for the coaches to choose from. I’m fairly confident that at least one of the incoming freshman players will make a solid contribution this season. Just think for a moment what this team could look like if three or perhaps all four are able to play effectively enough for Geno to actually have to play them. I realize that is not likely but I don’t think two is out of the question. As you say, we are looking at a very fun season coming up.

Reaction Score
This continues to make no sense to me. Why would Paige be moved from the point guard position because Muhl was starting? Have Nike play the point in transition, and the wing in the half court and Paige play the point guard in the half court. Especially with Paige and Azzi coming back from injuries it makes sense to have another strong ball handler and perimeter defender in to start the game with them.

Why can't you start Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah and then a center?

Why does everyone make this so complicated?
It’s not complicated. Other’s ask the same question about their lineup. For example, why not start Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and then a center? More size, more scoring vs less size, less scoring and better defense? Obviously, the above lineup would be less capable on defense. How much less? Who knows, and that leads to other questions. Would that lineup be improved more (assuming it would be) with Nika or Aubrey? These decisions will have to be made after Geno sees who is fully healthy and who is most productive during preseason practices. One thing is certain, if all are fully healthy, Geno is going to have a lot of choices to make.

Reaction Score
It’s not complicated. Other’s ask the same question about their lineup. For example, why not start Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and then a center? More size, more scoring vs less size, less scoring and better defense? Obviously, the above lineup would be less capable on defense. How much less? Who knows, and that leads to other questions. Would that lineup be improved more (assuming it would be) with Nika or Aubrey? These decisions will have to be made after Geno sees who is fully healthy and who is most productive during preseason practices. One thing is certain, if all are fully healthy, Geno is going to have a lot of choices to make.
So Geno is going to sit his most experienced player, a senior, the one who runs the offense, and is a 2x Big East defensive player of the year to start Caroline? Nika is the better shooter (41/34/73 vs. 40/34/65) and the better ball handler (2.2 A/TO vs. 0.6). On a per 40 basis Caroline scores at nearly twice the rate as Nika, but they average the same points per game because Nika can play more minutes.

Reaction Score
There is no way coming off an ACL injury that Geno will want PB guarding anyone's point guard. Nika is the head of the snake defensively and no one pressures the ball like Nika. If we're running our motion sets correctly having a true point and two combo guards will work out famously. With this starting backcourt, we will run teams into the ground!!!

Reaction Score
Yea that line ups fine but I’m not doing fake calculus to say that line ups other than the one I predict move every player out of position and under utilizes out best players. Some of these don’t start Nika arguments really stretch to make a convincing case.

Reaction Score
So Geno is going to sit his most experienced player, a senior, the one who runs the offense, and is a 2x Big East defensive player of the year to start Caroline? Nika is the better shooter (41/34/73 vs. 40/34/65) and the better ball handler (2.2 A/TO vs. 0.6). On a per 40 basis Caroline scores at nearly twice the rate as Nika, but they average the same points per game because Nika can play more minutes.
Healthy!!!

Reaction Score
Year 2023-2024 can be one of the best women basketball team in UConn history.
My guess of the starting five:
-Paige Bueckers
-Azzi Fudd
-Aaliyah Edwards
-Nika Mühl
-Aubrey Griffin

First out bench: Caroline Ducharme
I can guarantee you that if Bueckers, Fudd, and Edwards are all healthy, Nika and Griffin will not be the other two players, although one of them might be. We need Edwards down low, no argument there, but we don’t need to help opposing defenses by putting 3,of 5 players on the floor who have questionable outside shots or need to be down low. If Ducharme is healthy she definitely starts, she tall, and is a lights out shooter, can drive to the basket, cut to the basket, and she handles the ball on a fast break with speed, just as well as anyone. My starting five (if all are healthy) would be Bueckers at the point, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards and Griffin or Brady. With Muhl first off the bench to give Paige a rest, or Brady first off the bench for Griffin or Edwards. If Geno wants to stretch the opposing defense, Bueckers, Ducharme, and Fudd would be a nightmare around the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Yea that line ups fine but I’m not doing fake calculus to say that line ups other than the one I predict move every player out of position and under utilizes out best players. Some of these don’t start Nika arguments really stretch to make a convincing case.
If Paige is pg then Nika sits, no if’s, and’s or but’s, but she is probably first off the bench to give Paige, Azzi or Caroline a rest. Geno doesn’t need two point guards on the floor, especially when one of them has a questionable outside shot and has a tendency to pass up outside shots on occasion when she’s open which oresults in a TO or shot clock violation. Geno needs to stretch a defense by having at least 3 or 4 players on the court who can hit outside shots consistently.

sun

Reaction Score
I expect to see substitution packages involving 2 or more players to keep everyone fresh throughout the season.
I don't expect any player to be playing a ton of minutes, maybe 30 minutes tops unless it's a really close or tough game.
Geno will want to be fair to all of the players.

Of course there's going to be starters, but it won't matter who they are if Geno wants to limit their minutes.
UConn will be able to wear down other teams by having the best bench depth & using it to their best advantage.
I don't have much doubt that KK, Ice & others will be getting some PT on a regular basis.
Developing solid rotations of fresh players will make UConn more effective than ever.
Maybe that will help cut down on UConn's previous high numbers of turnovers & mistakes, by making players focus better during their limited PT.
Enjoy watching all of the talent develop throughout the season, and hopefully Geno will be able to proactively prevent some game injuries.
Practice injuries are hard enough to control.
But getting too fatigued unnecessarily in games can lead to injuries & mistakes.
UConn doesn't need to always win by blowouts.
Then during Match Madness it will be a different situation & played with healthy players for once in a long while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Barring injury, Nika is starting. Everyone should just accept that. Geno has said repeatedly that the team is better with her out there. She is a leader, a great defender, a solid passer and ball handler, and the fuel in the engine. Plus, she will be a better offensive player after this summer. I'm thinking a pull up J, quicker set up and release on the 3 ball, and better finishing off both hands at the rim. Is Paige a more accurate passer? In my mind yes but her greatest asset for the team is her scoring and shooting ability. She is a better 2 for this team unless it is crunch time in a close game where she just brings the ball up to get her shot off when necessary from the point position. Doing that all year long will be physically taxing and forces her to defend differently. Based on my college experience, having played both the 1 and the 2, it's easier to defend the 2.

Reaction Score
Ice is really the big wild card for me. She demonstrated a lot of bball IQ in highschool and had a well developed offense for a big.

Does she play like a freshman this year? Or does she perform more like a sophomore who has a year under her belt?

I think that will really solidify the second front court starter for me. So far, I do think Aubrey is a better role player and could even have a long wnba career coming off the bench similar to Stokes. They both have targeted skill sets but aren't prolific scorers.

Theoretically, a sophomore Ice at her size with her skillset enhanced with a year under her belt is the best starter on paper organizationally... But is she there after the injury?? Who knows.

Reaction Score
Ask them. Bueckers says Fudd's the better shooter. There's a youtube interview where they talk of who is better. And in any case the mere fact that someone's shot is compared to Bueckers says they are a great shooter. There were no great shooters in 2021 (other than Bueckers) and that is the reason Bueckers was moved. Muhl gave Geno that freedom. This coming season there are several great shooters other than Bueckers so there is no need to move her.
This isn't a critique of Muhl. I said last summer that UConn was extremely fortunate to have as good a pg as Muhl at backup.
It's simply that Bueckers is better, at everything. I'll wager that Muhl will agree.

If UConn starts it's 3 best guards then who comes in to rest them? There are a number of choices but do they make UConn better in any aspect? I want to see Fudd, Bueckers and Muhl to rotate and for that to happen only two can start.

Bueckers is so much more than an outstanding shooter. Putting her anywhere but at starting pg simply to start Muhl misguided. Muh's fire will be more effective coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
As a freshman, Paige had the greatest single season in UConn history. She swept all the major awards! Her game against SC two years ago was likely the best UConn performance EVER. It is thusly tragic that Paige has suffered injuries that have massively denervated her playing career. At her best, nobody including the alleged California GOAT can top Buecker's sensational first season. Azzi simply cannot duplicate Paige's first season, Paige is a cut above Azzi at Azzi's best. No shame there, Paige's first season was one for the record books. It could be close to 300 years before anybody even comes close to Paige's career starting season.

Reaction Score
If Paige is pg then Nika sits, no if’s, and’s or but’s, but she is probably first off the bench to give Paige, Azzi or Caroline a rest. Geno doesn’t need two point guards on the floor, especially when one of them has a questionable outside shot and has a tendency to pass up outside shots on occasion when she’s open which oresults in a TO or shot clock violation. Geno needs to stretch a defense by having at least 3 or 4 players on the court who can hit outside shots consistently.
Geno has started them together in the past and said the team is better when Paige is starting. Nika is better in transition than Paige, seems silly to sit her just because they both play point guard when Geno had no problem playing Diana and Sue Bird together.

We can have 3-4 players in the court that can hit an outside shot consistently AND have Nika on the floor. She is a better career three point shooter than Aubrey and Caroline who would be her replacements anyways.

Reaction Score
Barring injury, Nika is starting. Everyone should just accept that. Geno has said repeatedly that the team is better with her out there. She is a leader, a great defender, a solid passer and ball handler, and the fuel in the engine. Plus, she will be a better offensive player after this summer. I'm thinking a pull up J, quicker set up and release on the 3 ball, and better finishing off both hands at the rim. Is Paige a more accurate passer? In my mind yes but her greatest asset for the team is her scoring and shooting ability. She is a better 2 for this team unless it is crunch time in a close game where she just brings the ball up to get her shot off when necessary from the point position. Doing that all year long will be physically taxing and forces her to defend differently. Based on my college experience, having played both the 1 and the 2, it's easier to defend the 2.
When Paige played the point her freshman year she not only could shoot from deep, but her shorter jumpers were almost automatic. That being said, what made her such a scoring machine and at the same time made the players around her better was her ability to penetrate to the basket, draw fouls, put a rebound back up, dish off to Olivia for an easy score. She could do it all. Putting her at the 2 would be a huge mistake, except if Geno wanted her to take things easy on that knee, and he will know whether or not he can her loose depending on what he sees in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom