UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lest we forget, there was a stretch during her freshman year when Caroline was coming into her own and looking like she could be a real difference maker. Of course, this was buried underneath an avalanche of injuries and she has since been a mere shadow of that player. Still, that player (and possibly more) presumably still lurks within her. If she comes back this November, fully healthy, and without the gun shy attitude regarding her head, (completely understandable) I don’t think it’s out of the question that she could be that same difference maker again. I could easily see her scoring 15-20 points per game with a healthy team around her. I think she is potentially the biggest surprise on next years team! Her finally being healthy, is one (of many) of the things I am most looking forward to next season.
I share your suspicion about Caroline. She can carry a team, as she showed as a freshman. We have a number of players who can carry the team offensively and defensively on any given night: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey (as she showed against Princeton) and Caroline. I wonder how many of the new kids can do it too.

Reaction Score
“Career average” includes a small sample size seeing as she shared ball handling duties with both Evina and Paige up until this year.

She had 17 games with 4 or more TOs this year, including 7 (to 5 assists) and 3 points on 3 shots in the last game against a scrappy OSU team. Of course it’s hypothetical, but that’s not happening to Paige at all.
Well this is nice. You talk about a small sample size (only 3 years) and then go on to cherry pick games to support you point of view. Very consistent and persuasive (not).

Reaction Score
Ask them. Bueckers says Fudd's the better shooter. There's a youtube interview where they talk of who is better. And in any case the mere fact that someone's shot is compared to Bueckers says they are a great shooter. There were no great shooters in 2021 (other than Bueckers) and that is the reason Bueckers was moved. Muhl gave Geno that freedom. This coming season there are several great shooters other than Bueckers so there is no need to move her.
This isn't a critique of Muhl. I said last summer that UConn was extremely fortunate to have as good a pg as Muhl at backup.
It's simply that Bueckers is better, at everything. I'll wager that Muhl will agree.

If UConn starts it's 3 best guards then who comes in to rest them? There are a number of choices but do they make UConn better in any aspect? I want to see Fudd, Bueckers and Muhl to rotate and for that to happen only two can start.

Bueckers is so much more than an outstanding shooter. Putting her anywhere but at starting pg simply to start Muhl misguided. Muh's fire will be more effective coming off the bench.
Horse,

Saying Bueckers is better at everything is not debatable. If we were choosing up sides even the biggest Nika fan (me) would pick Paige first (duh).

But that's not the point (no pun intended). The question is, where do you get the most value out of Paige Bueckers? PG or SG? If you say SG, or if you consider it a toss up (which could be the case), then you lose nothing by have Nika as the PG with all that she brings to the table. And I don't have a problem with 3 guards being on the floor. What this trio can do easily negates any deficiency of not having a true SF on the floor (which Paige can also do).

I'm amazed at the posters who insist that Paige has to start at PG, as if she's the world's worst SG.

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago they started CW, Paige, and Azzi when all three were available. I don't see what the big deal is about having three guards in the line up. All of our guards by virtue of them all being some of the best at what they do in the country can play PG or SG no problem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bueckers is a pg
Fudd is a shooting guard

They may be the best at the position in the entire country.

Why are you moving them? I'll tell you why. You want Muhl to start at pg.

UConn is a better team with Bueckers at pg. She was moved as a freshman and Muhl started because Muhl was a better pg than Westbrook was a scoring guard. There is no need for Bueckers to shift to scoring guard. Fudd is a better shooter than Bueckers. And Ducharme at the wing is also an outstanding shooter and scorer.

Here's a lineup where players play where they are best.

pg - Bueckers
sg - Fudd
sf - Griffin
pf - Edwards
post Brady

This is my starting team. It assumes health.
But we are trying to guess Geno's starting lineup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If UConn starts it's 3 best guards then who comes in to rest them?
Could be anyone. Geno doesn't necessarily substitute position for position. Have you not watched over the years? He could substitute Griffen or CFD or Ice for Muhl. (depending on who else starts). Then The Kid becomes the only PG on the floor. No problem.

Reaction Score
You are so right. He follows positionless bball when substituting and I think he substitutes based on where the game is going at that time, who is playing well, fouls, and what line up is being effective.

Reaction Score
The one thing I would like to see this coming year are 3 true scorers on the floor almost all the time in the way of Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah. I think Caroline and Ice could be their scoring back ups. This past year it was rare to have 3 true scorers on the floor together to really force a defense to pick their poison. We usually only had 2 with Lou and Aaliyah. Nika, Aubrey, and Dorka are great in their role but they aren't what I would call scorers able to hunt shots.

I think a backcourt with Nika pushing the ball and then Azzi and Paige hunting shots could really lead to a barrage at the midrange even more than the 3 pt line. Especially since Aaliyah has her new found midrange shots going. I also feel like the injuries really killed our midrange game since that isn't Nika, Dorka, and Aubrey's strong suit.

Reaction Score
By this logic, Paige shot 35% from 3 last year. Azzi shot 45% the same year. Both had a slight Sophomore slump.

Paige is better at creating her own shot off the dribble, like Steph Curry, but Azzi is the better technical, spot-up shooter, like Klay Thompson.
I agree, Darrell, but are you referring the Klay Thompson who shot 4 of 19 last night in a Game 7?;)

Reaction Score
I agree, Darrell, but are you referring the Klay Thompson who shot 4 of 19 last night in a Game 7?;)

The great thing about shooters is that they don’t stop shooting. I’m sure, like Geno is with Azzi, Steve Kerr would live with that. Good thing his partner in crime decided to show up, haha.

Reaction Score
The problem with Caroline is that so far she has been bitten by the injury bug and I'm not sure if that won't continue. Paige and Azzi are more than capable ball handlers and much better all around shooters than Niki. A lot has been written about her assists but I can't recall another season where we had so many turnovers and that starts and ends with your point guard. I don't think it is being negative towards Niki when you point out that we have the two top guards in the country coming of of high school and when on the floor they have done nothing to distract from that.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid short of injuries like in the last two years, it is hard to find playing time for her even if she improves a great deal. She is probably the 4th best PG option behind Paige, Nika and KK, and KK may not get much time herself. As for the other two small positions two other players who may not be used much at least in their first year, Ashlynn and Q would probably also project to be ahead of her.
But.... I have an INES BETTENCOURT UCONN "T" shirt!!! She's very fast, intense, makes (some) threes
and does anyone else want to comment about her play when starting against Princeton and nailing those free throws!!?
Go Ines!!! .... I will loyally be wearing my INES BETTENCOURT "T" shirt tomorrow!! K.K. is the future.... But remember that Ines does her recycling with JANA and AALIYAH = true teamwork ... go Huskies!!
(see other posting)

Reaction Score
Paige can play pg, and she may be better than anyone in D1 at it. But we still may be better with Nika at pg, at least for part of the game. And Paige is also an excellent sg, maybe the best in D1. It's not like we lose anything by playing her off the ball. What we gain is Nika's fire. The team is more focused on transition scoring with Nika on the floor, and team defense may be more energetic too. The way I see it, we can have two different team personalities opponents will have to deal with, one with Nika Azzi Paige in the backcourt and the other with Paige Azzi Caroline. I think this is a powerful resource.

I also want to see Ayanna as part of the transition defense unit. Aaliyah and Ayanna running the floor directed by Nika could be a truly intimidating experience for opponents. Aubrey and Q can rotate in and out of what I'll call Team Mayhem too. The transition game is the heart of UConn and we should have the personnel to revive it.

This means the Paige Azzi Caroline/Aubrey backcourt might include Aaliyah and Amari/Ice/Jana in the front court.

And the Nika Azzi Paige backcourt could feature Aaliyah Ayanna/Aubrey and Q in the front court.
I enjoyed the suggested idea of "Aaliyah and Ayanna running the floor directed by Nika". Pleasant for
UCONN fans, scary for the opponents! Actually, many combinations are rather scary. When the full team
is CLICKING ( "everybody eats") it will be lovely!!

Reaction Score
Horse,

Saying Bueckers is better at everything is not debatable. If we were choosing up sides even the biggest Nika fan (me) would pick Paige first (duh).

But that's not the point (no pun intended). The question is, where do you get the most value out of Paige Bueckers? PG or SG? If you say SG, or if you consider it a toss up (which could be the case), then you lose nothing by have Nika as the PG with all that she brings to the table. And I don't have a problem with 3 guards being on the floor. What this trio can do easily negates any deficiency of not having a true SF on the floor (which Paige can also do).

I'm amazed at the posters who insist that Paige has to start at PG, as if she's the world's worst SG.
Do you really think that a single poster believes Paige would be anything but the best player on the floor at any one of PG, SG, or Wing/SF? For that matter, I seriously doubt any poster on this board would trade Nika for anyone either! She is an invaluable part of this team, whether she starts or not. The question is only whether she is a part of the best starting five! Some say yes, others no, but none of those no’s are disrespecting her in any way. They simply think (assuming a fully healthy team) she would be more effective off the bench. Not because she isn’t capable of being the starting PG obviously, but rather because a better starting five, in their opinion, can be put on the floor from this roster. I just don’t get why this is such a problem?
Very few, if any, of those who believe that she should come off the bench will be shocked or disappointed if she does end up starting anyway. They simply believe, as I do, that a fully healthy Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah + 1 starting five is probably better than a Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah + 1. Obviously there may be other combinations that others see as better choices. The makeup of some teams may invite a different lineup as well.
The point is, your last sentence implies that this debate can only be a result of some kind of disrespect or devaluation toward either Paige or Nika. That is simply not the case. We all see the value of all the pieces of this puzzle and we all agree that each piece has a critical role in the finished product. The only question is the order in which they are placed on the board. Hopefully, we can all agree that the final product is going to be magnificent regardless of that order.

Reaction Score
The problem with Caroline is that so far she has been bitten by the injury bug and I'm not sure if that won't continue. Paige and Azzi are more than capable ball handlers and much better all around shooters than Niki. A lot has been written about her assists but I can't recall another season where we had so many turnovers and that starts and ends with your point guard. I don't think it is being negative towards Niki when you point out that we have the two top guards in the country coming of of high school and when on the floor they have done nothing to distract from that.
1--- Assume Caroline doesn't start (injury). If she ls heathy what you say in bold is fine to a certain degree.

2--- Paige and Azzi are also more than capable scorers and much better sg/sf all around shooters than any other player on the team.
3--- Why are you diminishing the assists? The assists have to account. She gets no huge praise for assists but blasted for turnovers? Anyway, the assists, It's not all her, right? SO, if it isn’t all her for assists, then it shouldn't be all her for turnovers.
4-- Turnovers don't end with the pg. UCONN doesn't play one-player basketball. SO, to imply that the pg spot "begins and ends with turnovers," is not true.
5-- When we have the best all-around sg/sf's in Paige and Azzi on the floor, a player like Nika Muhl won't distract them from being super great as long as they are healthy.

In regard to this thread, it's impossible to answer this early. As for Nika, if she shoots like she did her soph year from 3, she eventually won't play much if the team is healthy. On the flip-side is she this 3's like this year, she'll play decent minutes, start or not.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
But.... I have an INES BETTENCOURT UCONN "T" shirt!!! She's very fast, intense, makes (some) threes
and does anyone else want to comment about her play when starting against Princeton and nailing those free throws!!?
Go Ines!!! .... I will loyally be wearing my INES BETTENCOURT "T" shirt tomorrow!! K.K. is the future.... But remember that Ines does her recycling with JANA and AALIYAH = true teamwork ... go Huskies!!
(see other posting)
Everybody just dismisses Ines as a bench player next year, with no hope for seeing the floor. Don't forget, we are loyal fans and what she did last year to help the team is should not be forgotten. She is a pretty good ball handler, can shoot the 3, and can drive to the basket. We have a lot of talent coming in as well as the returning players, but I hope that Geno just gives the kid a chance to play some significant minutes for the team. Ines showed us competency last year, and who knows how the sophomore jump will affect her. In our eyes, she doesn't seem to fit into the picture next year, but let's not forget about her, and whether she improves or not, I hope that Geno gives her a chance to show what she can do, and I hope my fellow Boneyarders also give her a chance. We will see, maybe she will not be up for the challenge, but I believe she deserves a chance. We owe it to her.

Reaction Score
I share your suspicion about Caroline. She can carry a team, as she showed as a freshman. We have a number of players who can carry the team offensively and defensively on any given night: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey (as she showed against Princeton) and Caroline. I wonder how many of the new kids can do it too.
I agree with Bone Dog and Cuango here. Remembering Caroline midway thru the 21/22 season it was looking very probable that Paige, Azzi, and Caroline were going to be a great starting combination for the foreseeable future. That was certainly my assumption at that time, but then the injuries and Nika's emergence this season changed that future view.

The player that was looking like a future star part way thru her freshmen season, wasn't seen at all during this last season. I think I probably also underestimated the recovery time and difficulty from her hip surgery, but looking ahead to next year there are quite a few question marks. The Caroline from her first year could start with Paige and Azzi, the version from this past season wouldn't even be considered for starting, and might have two or three players ahead of her off the bench.

Meanwhile Nika had to assume a major role as the playmaker and defensive leader. She played very heavy minutes and became a team leader on and off the court. She is a senior returning starter and the burden of proof is now on Caroline. At her best Caroline is probably a better overall player than Nika, but she has much to prove, so I think Nika is a strong favorite to start.

If Caroline is back to form she could easily get the most minutes of any player off the bench, since she could come in for Nika, Azzi or Paige, with Paige moving sometimes to the point. If she doesn't, that role of principle backup to the smalls could fall to Aubrey or maybe even KK. Having Caroline as the principle guard/wing backup with some help from Aubrey's different skill set, and Aubrey also available to be a supersub up front would be ideal in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Everybody just dismisses Ines as a bench player next year, with no hope for seeing the floor. Don't forget, we are loyal fans and what she did last year to help the team is should not be forgotten. She is a pretty good ball handler, can shoot the 3, and can drive to the basket. We have a lot of talent coming in as well as the returning players, but I hope that Geno just gives the kid a chance to play some significant minutes for the team. Ines showed us competency last year, and who knows how the sophomore jump will affect her. In our eyes, she doesn't seem to fit into the picture next year, but let's not forget about her, and whether she improves or not, I hope that Geno gives her a chance to show what she can do, and I hope my fellow Boneyarders also give her a chance. We will see, maybe she will not be up for the challenge, but I believe she deserves a chance. We owe it to her.
I can't speak for everyone, but can for myself, as someone who thinks the odds of Ines getting significant time is very small, but still is very appreciative that she agreed to come here under very unusual circumstances.. That doesn't mean I don't root for her, and I think Geno will give her a fair chance to win playing time, but suspect he too thinks there are many players ahead of her.

I thought Ines looked pretty good handling the ball, passing and defending. She probably chose to defer to others on offense and has more talent there than she showed scoring. Her main problem was turnovers, and some of that looked like she was nervous being thrown into the fire. After all she said the biggest crowd she played before was about 200 before coming here, and then she winds up starting against top ranked Maryland on national TV in front of a huge crowd.

Uconn was in trouble in the backcourt heading into last year, talented but thin before the Paige injury, and not having any insurance after that bad news. It was too late to get a HS recruit or portal transfer. I credit Geno for pulling a rabitt out of the hat and getting Ines. She is vastly superior to a walk-on which was about the only other option at that time. But if we were not in an emergency situation I don't think Geno would even consider a player like Ines, which is not saying she isn't a talented player, but rather she probably is not at the usual Uconn level. Most of us will still be rooting for everyone on the team regardless of playing time, just like how we felt when Pulido hit that last second shot in the 2016 championship game and the bench went nuts.

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago they started CW, Paige, and Azzi when all three were available. I don't see what the big deal is about having three guards in the line up. All of our guards by virtue of them all being some of the best at what they do in the country can play PG or SG no problem.
Yeah I agree with this. In my hunger for husky basketball, I watched a bit of Marquette game from the 20-21 season (Paige had 30 and a classic post game interview with Nika), and the team started Nika, Paige, C Williams, Evina, and Liv. I don't think starting 3 guards is an issue for Geno. On the flip side, essentially Paige would kinda be a 3 defensively next year. I know she's been in the weight room, but it's hard for me to imagine her guarding a Cotie McMahon or a Rickea Jackson. I know those matchups are few and far between but I get the idea of starting a bigger 3.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is a pg
Fudd is a shooting guard

They may be the best at the position in the entire country.

Why are you moving them? I'll tell you why. You want Muhl to start at pg.

UConn is a better team with Bueckers at pg. She was moved as a freshman and Muhl started because Muhl was a better pg than Westbrook was a scoring guard. There is no need for Bueckers to shift to scoring guard. Fudd is a better shooter than Bueckers. And Ducharme at the wing is also an outstanding shooter and scorer.

Here's a lineup where players play where they are best.

pg - Bueckers
sg - Fudd
sf - Griffin
pf - Edwards
post Brady

This is my starting team. It assumes health.
I like it, especially if Aubrey becomes a more assertive/confident shooter. I definitely could see Caroline swapping places with Aubrey too

Reaction Score
Carnac, I agree wholeheartedly with you about Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah starting. I've gotten a lot of pushback on this but I think Niki will be coming off the bench in a sub mode. The game of woman's basketball is undergoing a change. Teams like South Caroline, Stanford, LSU and many of the other ranked ones are going bigger and whether he wants to or not Geno is going to have to join them. If we put Aubrey in there you are also getting a sort of guard/wing combo. If not her we have two other 6'5" players. And add to that the fact that we have two of the best hs guards in the nation coming in and one of them is a pure point guard. I just don't think that leaves a lot of room for Niki to start.
You are so right. The game has changed, you need more toughness and size now days. Geno has to realize that if Uconn is to win another championship. What worked 10 years ago don't work now !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom